LECOM Erie Class of 2012 Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to be using my Mac, I would hate to be forced to use a PC. Those things give me a headache.

Thanks. That is one less thing I have to figure out in the next 10 days!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone:

I'm going into second year at LECOM erie and I haven't really been on SDN since last summer before med school. Just letting you know that you can ask me some questions about housing, the Erie area, etc. I did live in Landmark Square last year and we just moved to Brookwood Village, a development from Palermo. Both are about 10-15 min drive in traffic to the school. I personally like not living on TOP of LECOM. Landmark Square is nearer to downtown and the bars, Brookwood village is on the East Side (not that sketchy though) near Mercyhurst College. If you need to know anything else just ask!

so i know that there's a small gym in the lecom building... but when is it actually open? like what are it's hours usually? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
so i know that there's a small gym in the lecom building... but when is it actually open? like what are it's hours usually? thanks!

Well i dont know the exact hours for the gym but its not THAT bad, just small. It does have a nice lockerroom/shower area though. There isn't a lot of equipment and when i did use it in the beginning of the year some of the machines were out of order. There are virtually no free weights. So if that is your thing go somewhere else. There is one weight machine but if you don't like those its pretty pointless. But they are building the new health center that is supposed to open so I am waiting for that. I used to be a member at the Glenwood YMCA and that was decent..it gets really busy at night but there are classes there like pilates, etc. that you can go to. BUT that YMCA is under renovation and i havent been there in a couple of months I just didn't like breathing in dust from the construction. That was 35 dollars a month for me. There is a new fitness place called SNAP fitness that has been advertising deals for students that is off 38th street behind the school, you might want to check that out.

Anymore questions let me know...

Does anyone know where there is a nice catholic church?

I don't know if its the closest one, but there is a chapel inside Mercyhurst and also right next to Mercyhurst there is a different Catholic Church. They are on 38th street by the zoo.

I don't know if its the closest one, but there is a chapel inside Mercyhurst and also right next to Mercyhurst there is a different Catholic Church. They are on 38th street by the zoo.
There is a zoo?

Gym is open 11am to 11pm during the week and 8am to 11pm on week-ends

There are about 40 Catholic Churches in Erie...... I think closest would be Our Lady of Peace on West 38th Street.

The cathedral for the Diocese of Erie, I believe it is called St. Peter and Paul, is supposed to be pretty nice. I would imagine it is in the downtown area.

The cathedral for the Diocese of Erie, I believe it is called St. Peter and Paul, is supposed to be pretty nice. I would imagine it is in the downtown area.

That would be St. Peter Cathedral, in the downtown area, and yes it is an impressive site (even for us non-christian type)

Members don't see this ad :)
how much is the rent in the place you live in ..[ or more to the point ho wmuch is the average rent]

One of my friends goes to the church on w38th. Go down Zuck rd and make a right ... not too far from there.

That would be St. Peter Cathedral, in the downtown area, and yes it is an impressive site (even for us non-christian type)

Thanks Tenbulls! We have St. Paul Cathedral here in Pittsburgh (which is a very impressive place) and someone mistakenly told me that the Erie Cathedral was named after both saints.
Is St. Peter's an old gothic style building? Those are my favorites. If so I will have to go and see it for myself. I'm just going home every weekend for church, but it is nice to know where to go just in case we get snowed in... lol:smuggrin:

I got accepted, where am i gonna live? I have 2 cats! Any ideas?

so i thing someone addressed this already, but I tried looking through this entire thread and missed it...

There are tons of books on the booklist... should I buy them all? If not, which ones should I get (I'm assuming anatomy and OMM ones?)

If it makes a difference, I'm LDP.

Thanks so much for the help!

I picked Discover. Word of advice regarding Fox & Hound; Have someone wearing a LECOM t-shirt standing outside to act as a liaison between your new classmates who are inside and those who are arriving. This may sound silly, but for the most part, you will not know/recognize each other, and some people are timid and might wait outside for a while and then leave. Also, binge responsibly! A DUI will get you dismissed, zero tolerance. Hi Harry, I know you are reading this, Semper Fi!

amindwalker, thats a good idea! we could do that or we could just agree to stand outside the door and just wait for each other. i dont have any LECOM attire or else i wouldn't mind being the liason. do you?

hi everyone!
so do we wanna meet at like 8pm at fox and hound? AMINDWALKER had a good idea to have someone wear a lecom shirt and act as a liason so we can all find each other. if that doesnt work, i will just be waiting outside the place on the sidewalk. whos going?

Hey does anyone know of someone still looking for a female roomate??? I just got off the waitlist today so I'm freaking out trying to find a place to live!

so i thing someone addressed this already, but I tried looking through this entire thread and missed it...

There are tons of books on the booklist... should I buy them all? If not, which ones should I get (I'm assuming anatomy and OMM ones?)

If it makes a difference, I'm LDP.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ask Sara at the bookstore. She will tell you what to buy and when to buy it if you are in LDP. If in PBL you will buy pretty much everything.

Two days until all hell breaks loose, who is excited? :soexcited:

Two days until all hell breaks loose, who is excited? :soexcited:
Excited, but equally nervous. Fear of the unknown and all. Going out to the movies tonight to see the new Will Ferrel movie. Enjoying the freedom as long as i can.

He's right, ya know. Buckeye4life is a man to whom you should listen.

He's right, ya know. Buckeye4life is a man to whom you should listen.
:thumbup::laugh:

Amindwalker and buckeye4life are very wise .

To tell you new LECOMers the truth, however, I think you will have it even worse than we did these next thirteen weeks with the new quiz schedule for anatomy:eek::cool:;) Enjoy your next three days (minus orientation tomorrow) of freedom.

Step Brother? Is that funny?
If you liked Will Farrell in anchorman and taladegga nights, you will like this movie. I loved both of the aforementioned films and I loved this one.

Ask Sara at the bookstore. She will tell you what to buy and when to buy it if you are in LDP. If in PBL you will buy pretty much everything.

I disagree. She definately has good input, but what books you buy depends on your learning style. She'll pretty much tell you not to buy anything. I am a book person and bought a lot that she told us not to and I used them.

At first I thought you wrote Sanjaya. I laughed really hard.
Medicineman99 is indeed a man of honorable character (I am currently straightening my tie).

amindwalker
vice-president of the LECOM mutual admiration club

Last edited:
At first I thought you wrote Sanjaya. I laughed really hard.
Medicineman99 is indeed a man of honorable character (I am currently straightening my tie).

Whatever happened to Sanjaya anyways?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

::clears throat:: Reporting live, Medicine Man, CNN, Atlanta.

Oh man, and to think I haven't straightened my tie since May 22nd! (Life without LECOM isn't nearly as entertaining.) It shall also be my trade mark broadcast move and I'll have to explain its genesis to Larry King when he interviews me eventually.:laugh:

Hey guys does anyone know of a good vet in Erie?

We take our dog to The Animal Clinic. Its on Peach Street past Bob Evans & Splash Lagoon. They are all very friendly and he has always been conservative in treating our dog and telling us what we really need and what we can do without if its expensive or he thinks it won't benefit us.

http://www.theanimalclinic-erie-pa.com/

Thanks so much!!!!

Do we need to buy all three books for OPP? They are expensive!!

Are we allowed to wear shorts and t-shirt all day on OPP days?

Do we need to buy all three books for OPP? They are expensive!!

Are we allowed to wear shorts and t-shirt all day on OPP days?

Actually, on wednesday OPP days you should wear a toga, and on thursdays, u should come in ur chip n' dale outfit. U can wear them all day. Or if u want to be boring u can wear ur shorts and t-shirt all day long, and even cover up with a hoodie and track pants.

U don't have to buy all the books, but some of the test questions came from the textbook and not the powerpoints. Also, the techniques in OPP are well explained and demonstrated in the picture book. Good luck, future doctors.

Chip 'n Dale are the cute, furry Disney critters, Chippendale's are the hunky guys wearing bow ties and banana hammocks. I'm not really sure to which one my esteemed colleague was referring, but either one actually works on OPP day.

On a less sarcastic note, the official word is that you are to arrive at LECOM in dress code on OPP days and then miracle yourself into OPP attire (cotton t-shirt & cotton shorts, sports bras for chix). They haven't enforced that yet.

Tenbulls is a Devil dog of uncommon accountability and vigilance. I look forward to observing your encounters with him.

I just realized that day one starts for you guys tomorrow. Where's all the hair pulling and jumping about? Where's all the unbridled glee? Are you still hungover after celebrating becoming offically recognized as medical students yesterday?

Seriously, congratulations - you earned it. For you I shall quote the sign on the business side of the Naval Special Warfare Training Center in Coronado, Ca; "The only easy day was yesterday." You will know me tomorrow, I'm the one in the Army uniform (gotta take a PCSP test). Please feel free to say Hi. I really am excited for you. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Do you think 2nd years (us lame LDP students mainly) will now arrive Wed mornings in OPP clothes? Or do you think people will come in dress code since we don't have OPP first anymore...

I just realized that day one starts for you guys tomorrow. Where's all the hair pulling and jumping about? Where's all the unbridled glee? Are you still hungover after celebrating becoming offically recognized as medical students yesterday?

Seriously, congratulations - you earned it. For you I shall quote the sign on the business side of the Naval Special Warfare Training Center in Coronado, Ca; "The only easy day was yesterday." You will know me tomorrow, I'm the one in the Army uniform (gotta take a PCSP test). Please feel free to say Hi. I really am excited for you. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Along with amindwalker, I also offer my congratulations. I still think that getting to medical school (as long as you had a rigorous undergraduate experience) is the hardest part (although nobody likes to admit that).

However, I wouldn't be the sexy, smug, powerful MS-2 that I am if I did not tell you the line that the MS-2s told us last year after day one of orientation: I hope you enjoyed today because it will be the easiest day you will ever have.

Post scriptum: If you are ever going to be late for class, make sure it is not tomorrow.;)

Wait 'til Dr. Esper and Clinical Neuro :yawn:

I have a question, I am having trouble logging into the student note server. The instructions from the IT department aren't helping. Is there anyone who can walk me through the process. Thank you

Last edited:
Chip 'n Dale are the cute, furry Disney critters, Chippendale's are the hunky guys wearing bow ties and banana hammocks. I'm not really sure to which one my esteemed colleague was referring, but either one actually works on OPP day.

I actually was referring to the latter, but HOOKED ON PHONICS WORKED FOR ME!!!!

So what's this I hear about the MS1s not being able to access the note server for tomorrow's notes? I seem to be able to access the c/o 2012 stuff just fine. What do you need? Perhaps I can send it to you since I'm so nice:D

So what's this I hear about the MS1s not being able to access the note server for tomorrow's notes? I seem to be able to access the c/o 2012 stuff just fine. What do you need? Perhaps I can send it to you since I'm so nice:D
Thanks but I ventured to campus and picked it up myself.