LECOM - Erie - Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deejaymd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd get the ball rolling and make a class of 2019 thread for the Erie campus! I am LDP! See you all next year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I made a really dumb move and lost my copy of my matriculation agreement.. I'm nervous now since I don't have any of that information regarding future steps. Do you know if it's available on the web site anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I made a really dumb move and lost my copy of my matriculation agreement.. I'm nervous now since I don't have any of that information regarding future steps. Do you know if it's available on the web site anywhere?
I guess just call them and have a new one sent out!

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's super early, but when the time comes, I am planning on setting up a social gathering right before school starts. I know they will have orientation and ice breakers, but sometimes it's nice to find a spot in town, away from school and do so!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone here from the November 21st interview day get accepted?

Chiming in, looking forward to meeting my future fellow classmates! I'll be one of the older folks, a PA in the APAP program...

Chiming in, looking forward to meeting my future fellow classmates! I'll be one of the older folks, a PA in the APAP program...
Nothing wrong with the older folks! So far, I'm the oldest that has been involved in the Facebook group/SDN. I'll be turning 28 the first week of classes!

Nothing wrong with the older folks! So far, I'm the oldest that has been involved in the Facebook group/SDN. I'll be turning 28 the first week of classes!
You act like you're so much older than us all :hardy: I'll be 25 right when school starts! LDP here.

Lecom Erie DO class of 2019! Should come up in a search

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! (most likely) a future LDP student here... maybe a weird question but... does anybody know about the Erie snow? What kind of snow is it? (Big and fluffy or small and wet?)

also, perhaps a more educationally relevant question - is there anywhere we can see LECOM's board scores, not just the passing rates? or any school for that matter?

hey everyone! (most likely) a future LDP student here... maybe a weird question but... does anybody know about the Erie snow? What kind of snow is it? (Big and fluffy or small and wet?)

also, perhaps a more educationally relevant question - is there anywhere we can see LECOM's board scores, not just the passing rates? or any school for that matter?
It depends but based on my experience with Lake Effect snow it's often heavy because the storms pick up moisture from the lake. Snow tires are a must for driving!

I imagine there will be a lot of non-trads, it's not uncommon!
It depends but based on my experience with Lake Effect snow it's often heavy because the storms pick up moisture from the lake. Snow tires are a must for driving!
I plan on trading my sedan for an SUV haha

Most schools, LECOM included, don't share average board scores, just percent passing. I can think of only one school that shares board scores and that would be KCUMB.

It is cold, windy, terrible snow. Be prepared! You'll be inside studying 99% of the time anyway, though :)

.. does anybody know about the Erie snow? What kind of snow is it? (Big and fluffy or small and wet?)

TLDR; Buy an ice scraper/snow brush and snow tires for your car, and gloves.

Like Murphy mentioned in the LECOM presentation they don't cancel classes. Erie's winter weather is eclectic. It can be an ideal lite fluffy snow in the morning, and then transition to a freezing rain for lunch, and be sunny (with sub-zero temps and icy roads) for your drive home, and then sixty and sunny the next day.

Also, congratulations to all of my classmates, I look forward to meeting you all at orientation.. or pre-social events!

Last edited:
All you little youngin's..........sigh..........I'll be 32 when I start. I'm a PA now, but won't be doing the bridge, I'll be in the 4 year with you, DSP.

All you little youngin's..........sigh..........I'll be 32 when I start. I'm a PA now, but won't be doing the bridge, I'll be in the 4 year with you, DSP.
It's so funny because I will be 28 and I am calling the 24 year olds youngins. I feel old for my age, though, if that makes you feel better! lol Always have, really.

deleted

Last edited:
How is everyone finding places to live? I know LECOM provided the housing guide, but what other sources are you all using to find places? There's some nice townhouses (2-3BR) but I'm not paying those prices and living there alone, not worth it. Thanks

How is everyone finding places to live? I know LECOM provided the housing guide, but what other sources are you all using to find places? There's some nice townhouses (2-3BR) but I'm not paying those prices and living there alone, not worth it. Thanks
I found some great 2BR places for under $800. Craigslist isn't that great, so I use apartments.com or just Google Erie Apartments/Lofts/Housing and see what I come up with. Usually I end up on a management company's site and look that way!

I found some great 2BR places for under $800. Craigslist isn't that great, so I use apartments.com or just Google Erie Apartments/Lofts/Housing and see what I come up with. Usually I end up on a management company's site and look that way!
My stick shift Toyota is better!. Jk. So you are looking at $800 + all utilities, which would be dirt cheap for a nice place if you split with a roommate. Are you living alone or looking for a roommate? I initially wanted to live alone (still probably do) because you never know what kind of person a roommate will be, but now I'm rethinking it if I can live in a nicer place for cheaper, with the caveat of having a roommate.

I used the housing guide, but also Rentalguide.net ... it's very helpful if you have limitations like pets or needs like garage or washer/dryer!

House 2 mins from main campus for rent. See attachment for details. I'm happy to answer any additional questions. Pictures available upon request. Congrats to everyone!
Darn, I have been trying to find a house to rent because I am not very happy with the apartment selection. This is a little too big/out of my monthly budget.

deleted

Last edited:
Deejaymd is now DeejayDO! Just a heads up :D

Reactions: 2 users
Check out my post under classifieds search Lecom Erie Housing

Erie Medical Wives (LECOM ST Vincent Millcreek Hamot etc)

Hello everyone! I help run the "Erie Medical Wives (LECOM ST Vincent Millcreek Hamot etc)" Facebook group. This is a group for spouses of medical students and residents in the Erie, PA area. If you are bringing a family to Erie, this is a great way for your spouse to connect with other medical spouses. Most importantly, we have all gone through the move/transition to Erie and know the ins and outs of this place. We can answer all of your questions about pediatricians, creating budgets, insurance, play dates, girls night, schools, and how to survive the wintertime! We are a pretty close-knit group, so if you are joining LECOM next year, look us up on Facebook.

You can also e-mail me at [email protected]. Please only e-mail me if you are a medical student spouse, or you are trying to connect me with your spouse.

I will see if I can post the hyperlink to the web page later.

Erie Medical Wives (LECOM ST Vincent Millcreek Hamot etc)

Hello everyone! I help run the "Erie Medical Wives (LECOM ST Vincent Millcreek Hamot etc)" Facebook group. This is a group for spouses of medical students and residents in the Erie, PA area. If you are bringing a family to Erie, this is a great way for your spouse to connect with other medical spouses. Most importantly, we have all gone through the move/transition to Erie and know the ins and outs of this place. We can answer all of your questions about pediatricians, creating budgets, insurance, play dates, girls night, schools, and how to survive the wintertime! We are a pretty close-knit group, so if you are joining LECOM next year, look us up on Facebook.

You can also e-mail me at [email protected]. Please only e-mail me if you are a medical student spouse, or you are trying to connect me with your spouse.

I will see if I can post the hyperlink to the web page later.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/250074465019046/

How DO you survive the wintertime?

Is my beloved car going to be destroyed by winter road salt? Should I be looking at getting a crappy crapmobile to drive in the snow so that I can keep my darling safe in a garage until spring?

I'm only coming up from Pittsburgh, but we really don't get much snow at all here. Maybe a handful of snows that stick at all, and those are mostly only bad for a day or two. Nothing like what I expect in Erie.

How DO you survive the wintertime?

Is my beloved car going to be destroyed by winter road salt? Should I be looking at getting a crappy crapmobile to drive in the snow so that I can keep my darling safe in a garage until spring?

I'm only coming up from Pittsburgh, but we really don't get much snow at all here. Maybe a handful of snows that stick at all, and those are mostly only bad for a day or two. Nothing like what I expect in Erie.

I suppose it depends on how determined you are to keep your vehicle in excellent condition. I am super proud of how well my 2013 Camry handled winter this year; she still looks/runs great. We do not have a garage or carport, so I was very concerned. The main roads are well maintained (some neighborhood roads can be slippery/hazardous), and the salt is really not that bad as far as I have experienced. I'm more concerned about the potholes around here than anything else. They're ridiculous.

I suppose it depends on how determined you are to keep your vehicle in excellent condition. I am super proud of how well my 2013 Camry handled winter this year; she still looks/runs great. We do not have a garage or carport, so I was very concerned. The main roads are well maintained (some neighborhood roads can be slippery/hazardous), and the salt is really not that bad as far as I have experienced. I'm more concerned about the potholes around here than anything else. They're ridiculous.

Also...we came from Phoenix, AZ, so if we can do it, ANYONE CAN.
There are plenty of luxury cars around here that drive in the snow, so it comes down to how comfortable you are with letting your vehicle be exposed to the crazy climate.

You will all certainly know me when you meet me, but that was going to happen anyway:

My baby.jpg

This is obviously a marketing image, but my Astrid looks just like this one.

She is virtually pristine. There are a couple of tiny rust spots just trying to get started, but on a car that is older than many of my classmates, that ain't bad. I plan on having those dealt with before I come up. Only 185k miles. My pride and joy. Baring collision, with proper maintenance, there is no reason I can't still be driving *this* car when I retire.

I'm not afraid at all of driving in the snow. I'm terrified of rust. It is the only thing that can really take a Volvo 240 off the road for good. I need to go see my autobody guy and ask about rust prevention strategies. I know, wash your car every week or so, but I'm afraid that won't be enough.

This is seriously the only thing about starting medical school in Erie in a few weeks which keeps me up at night worrying. Everything else seems manageable, but what if something terrible happens to my beautiful machine? First world problems, I know.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd get the ball rolling and make a class of 2019 thread for the Erie campus! I am LDP! See you all next year!

Hi-- I hope I'm commenting on this the right way, I used to read SDN and haven't for a while so I'm not sure how it works... But anyway, I'm looking at some LECOM threads and saw that you're starting soon! Congratulations! I'm in the EAP with LECOM, and I'll be starting in July of 2016. I have a pretty easy senior year scheduled, and I wanted to know if I could get some of the textbooks I'll use at LECOM early, to look them over. Do you know what books you need yet? I'd really appreciate hearing what they are!

Thanks!
Marielle
Cook Honors College, Indiana University of Pennsylvania 2016, LECOM EAP

First off, hello everyone! I just got pulled off the of the waitlist last week and accepted into the Erie DO Class of 2019! It's pretty wild that I'll be packing everything up, leaving my job, and driving across country in the next few weeks. Insane. But I'm so thankful and excited.

Secondly, any updates on the pre-social events? And can someone hyperlink me to the Facebook group please? It doesn't come up on my search...I suspect it's because it's a closed group.

Hi-- I hope I'm commenting on this the right way, I used to read SDN and haven't for a while so I'm not sure how it works... But anyway, I'm looking at some LECOM threads and saw that you're starting soon! Congratulations! I'm in the EAP with LECOM, and I'll be starting in July of 2016. I have a pretty easy senior year scheduled, and I wanted to know if I could get some of the textbooks I'll use at LECOM early, to look them over. Do you know what books you need yet? I'd really appreciate hearing what they are!

Thanks!
Marielle
Cook Honors College, Indiana University of Pennsylvania 2016, LECOM EAP
Marielle - all of our textbooks are electronic. So as incoming students, (correct me if I'm wrong) we won't be able to shed light on this so you might want to ask a current student :)

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard anything about the plymouth apartments? I don't see any reviews online but it seems like a decent place. It is on the corner of chestnut and 6th streets.

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard anything about the plymouth apartments? I don't see any reviews online but it seems like a decent place. It is on the corner of chestnut and 6th streets.

I have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath townhouse 5 minutes from Lecom campus. Looking to rent out a room; it has a new bed and 2 closets with shelves. Rest of the house is furnished. PM me for more details.