LECOM Erie Class of 2012 Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lisa, you do indeed live closer than me:bow:, but technically Ephram (post-bac on the corner of 42nd & Ellsworth, in Dr. Thomas' old house) lives the closest. My crew & I will gladly be there on the 14th. Now that the Absinthe ban has been lifted, I can bring some. :thumbup:

Dude! How's everything going?? Getting ready for cardio? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question... does anyone know how to go about deferring their loans? Do I need to get a letter from the registrar saying I'm still in school and mail it off to my lender or do I have the Fin Aid office do it? Thanks.

Quick question... does anyone know how to go about deferring their loans? Do I need to get a letter from the registrar saying I'm still in school and mail it off to my lender or do I have the Fin Aid office do it? Thanks.

I had the same question last year. LECOM participates in some program (Don't know the exact name) that will automatically defer your loans for you. You may want to check with your current lender and LECOM to see when it has taken effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a anyone still looking, i found a place a mile and a half from the school. It is a 2 bedroom/ 1 bath with a garage for 685. It is a 3815 raspberry st. and the number is 814-836-1388. They don't allow pets, which is why i passed.

bkpa2med, all is well thank you. How you doin'? I'm more into lifting than cardio. My wife teaches Jazzercise, but I... oh wait, you mean the cardio course that indicates the beginning of the second year of medical school. Nah, my hunnydo list (among other things) is way too huge.

Buckeye4life, you have spoken. It is nice to hear from you. We should hang out.

JiggerDigger, we now know where you live.

Milamber,
hey! i called the main office and asked to speak with angela adams. angela then emailed me a special form i had to fill out and then fax back to her. you can try doing that. hope it helps!

Hey Star220, I think it would be a great idea to try and get a bunch of us together! I'm in for july 25

Surf08,
cool im glad your down. maybe we could all do a dinner/ drinks or whatever that night at fox and hound. is anyone else in?!?!

Yea I will be down for a meet and greet. Ill be moving up the 18th of june to get adjusted.:thumbup:
Random question?
Does anyone one else in the 2012 class have a spouse or child??

Yea I will be down for a meet and greet. Ill be moving up the 18th of june to get adjusted.:thumbup:
Random question?

i know of one guy who was in the post-bac w/ me who has a wife and two daughters. so there's at least one. and there's a guy on the facebook page who is married and guessing from his picture i'd guess he's got a daughter as well. and a quick glance of the rest of the facebook group says there are a few others. so there's at least two, possibly more.

and to answer the follow-up questions...no i'm not single...yes i have way too much time on my hands

Random question?

Spouse: yes
Child: not anytime soon!:)

Random question?
I am married w/ one child out of the womb, and another one cookin' as we speak. :eek:

Has anyone recieved any financial aid stuff yet?

I was wondering the same thing about Financial Aid. I know we're not getting refund checks until the second week of school but I need to know how much I'm getting so I know how much extra I need to take out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing about Financial Aid. I know we're not getting refund checks until the second week of school but I need to know how much I'm getting so I know how much extra I need to take out.
Exactly, that is what I'm askin'. I would really like to know how much I should plan on and how much more I will need to borrow, I got a family to support here. I heard that last years students received their loan info much earlier. I am getting a little bit frustrated with the lack of communication here.

That is frustrating, but you may not need to take out more. Most people I know take out the 2 Staffords, and the GradPlus (which all come in the LECOM email at 1 time).

So BBQ Saturday:

Maybe around 6-7ish...its supposed to thunderstorm during the day.

If you are a first year and here in Erie, come! Send me a PM and I will give you my address. You can talk to some 2nd years, including a PCSP representative ;)

Amindwalker: Do you have an easily portable grill?? We have one, but depending on how many people come we may want another. Also any folding chairs...we are picking on you since you live across the street.

Aww...exactly 1,000 posts. How exciting.

Last edited:
The grill is permanently affixed to the ground. It came with the house & we don't know if it works. We do have some of those white plastic chairs though. We also have some backyard thingys for kids, like slides and **** (just in case people want to bring their med student larvae):hardy:. Jus' lemme know.

Yes please bring plastic chairs and any fun kid things haha. We'll have a few drinks but bring what you want to drink and also feel free to bring a side/dessert item :)

Hey LisaMD,

I can't believe how many people showed up to the cookout last night. That was awesome!! I had no idea there were so many incoming 1st years already in town, & I didn't know there were that many newly minted 2nd years staying around for the summer. It sure was whole lotta fun, although, IMHO, Dr. bradbury prolly shouldn't wear a speedo. :laugh: Lol

Dr. bradbury prolly shouldn't wear a speedo. :laugh: Lol

you know i was thinking about going until i had to go into the anatomy lab to work. but this fact alone puts my mind at ease about missing it.

Hey LisaMD,

I can't believe how many people showed up to the cookout last night. That was awesome!! I had no idea there were so many incoming 1st years already in town, & I didn't know there were that many newly minted 2nd years staying around for the summer. It sure was whole lotta fun, although, IMHO, Dr. bradbury prolly shouldn't wear a speedo. :laugh: Lol

OMG LOL...that was hilarious. Although my favorite part was the anatomy profs doing kegstands & dancing on the table. Talking about everything tagged for the first practical! Lucky 1st years!

PS I have some cute pics of your "larvae". Is Roman sick from eating 3430483 marshmallows?

No, the Romanator can eat, he's a little man-beast. I hope Dr. Bateman isn't too hung-over.

Is the dental insurance (United Concordia) offered by LECOM, for $194.40 any good? Does anyone use some other plan? I would appreciate your input.

About the Dental Insurance I just read the description and noticed it only covers 1,000 but again thats alot you'd save..but i'm not sure what i'm gonna do yet about that.

I have a question that I would really appreciate someone helping me out with. I just took a look at this book list and I found that many were cheaper on Half.com (even brand new)...but not sure what people think about my doing that.

Also it tells us to choose an Anatomy Atlas...anyone have any advice as to which one we should get?

And lastly...still don't know how much financial aid i'm getting...does anyone know when to expect to know that? I think i might call tomorrow and ask.

They mailed info about insurance and book lists? I didn't recieve anything. :confused:

About the Dental Insurance I just read the description and noticed it only covers 1,000 but again thats alot you'd save..but i'm not sure what i'm gonna do yet about that.

I have a question that I would really appreciate someone helping me out with. I just took a look at this book list and I found that many were cheaper on Half.com (even brand new)...but not sure what people think about my doing that.

Also it tells us to choose an Anatomy Atlas...anyone have any advice as to which one we should get?

And lastly...still don't know how much financial aid i'm getting...does anyone know when to expect to know that? I think i might call tomorrow and ask.

Get your books from whatever source is best for you, but make sure you get the correct edition with the software or online access.

From what I've gathered, Netter's Atlas seems to be the most popular among students and has the best ratings. Also, I've heard that you will get this book for free if you sign up for a SOMA membership ($60). You can look at the membership benefits and application at www.studentdo.com.

So I got the insurance info, has anyone gotten any financial aid info yet?

[quote=

Join SOMA to get the Netters Atlas. Other than that only buy books if you are PBL/ISP/PCSP. Don't buy books if you are LDP. The notes contain everything you need to know. And get the books as cheap as you can.

About financial aid.....I would call and ask. As second years it is taking longer than usual to get all of our financial aid processed. Damn economy and war. The financial aid department is nice, just call and ask. :)

I think it definitely depends on personal preference for the books. Some people say "don't buy any books" others say "I buy all the books". How can you really know how other people are going to learn?

Me personally, I buy most of the books but only use some of them. For example, I thought that Marks biochem was really good and helped me get the big picture and I got As on the quizzes/tests. Some people I'm sure got As without reading the books. I bought the immuno book and thought it was a huge waste of time. For Ophthalmology, I read almost all the chapters and it really helped me on the exam vs. the horrible PPT notes. So...you'll have to see what works best for you!

i talked to melissa watkins today at school and she told me everything went out on friday.

i talked to melissa watkins today at school and she told me everything went out on friday.

I got all of mine today, minus the Fin Aid. It will probably be soon.

hey quick question, can anyone recommend a good garage to go to for work on a car.. I am not wanting to fork over 75 dollars an hour for work at a dealer, so i was wondering if the 2nd years + have found a garage they are trusting in..

I was going to ask the same question as Joelle but she beat me to it.

Would you current students recommend signing up for the SOMA membership? If yes can I sign up for it now? Also how do you get the Netter's Atlas after you sign up?

Do you also recommend buying the Gray's Anatomy for students book for anatomy also?

Thanks! :)

Have you ever looked at Gray's? It's a really good paperweight/spider-killer, but there are cheaper devices available for such uses. Join SOMA, you can do it during orientation week. You will get the Netter's during the first week or so. I strongly recomend also getting Rohen's. The only value these books have is for the lab exams, but you will need them. For the anatomy/histo/embryo lectures, just study the powerpoints and get stuff from your big.

To go a little off topic. Has anyone ever noticed the rather large spiders near the front entrance to LECOM? When I went there to interview I walked up to the front doors to peek inside and there were about 4 very large yucky spiders just chillin with their webs on the light posts. Not really important, but gross.

Just a quick question for current students: Which lender did you choose for the financing of your loans? How have they been so far and why did you initially choose them? I still haven't received any Fin Aid info but would like to have some insight before hand with all your experience.

To go a little off topic. Has anyone ever noticed the rather large spiders near the front entrance to LECOM? When I went there to interview I walked up to the front doors to peek inside and there were about 4 very large yucky spiders just chillin with their webs on the light posts. Not really important, but gross.
Oh those spiders are nothing to be scared about, when I was in Okinawa I used to see these spiders walking through the jungle. The first time I saw one it was about 8 inches from my face, I nearly crapped my pants. After that they didn't bother me but it was fun to watch them come down from the trees and land on someone's back... those were fun times.

Banana_spider.jpg

Have you ever looked at Gray's? It's a really good paperweight/spider-killer, but there are cheaper devices available for such uses. Join SOMA, you can do it during orientation week. You will get the Netter's during the first week or so. I strongly recomend also getting Rohen's. The only value these books have is for the lab exams, but you will need them. For the anatomy/histo/embryo lectures, just study the powerpoints and get stuff from your big.

So I shouldn't join SOMA now? I was going to.

Last edited:
Oh those spiders are nothing to be scared about, when I was in Okinawa I used to see these spiders walking through the jungle. The first time I saw one it was about 8 inches from my face, I nearly crapped my pants. After that they didn't bother me but it was fun to watch them come down from the trees and land on someone's back... those were fun times.

Banana_spider.jpg
*shuddering

I heard that Histology is very useful (use it for year 1 & 2), but embryology may not be necessary to buy.

Anatomy Books
When you join SOMA, you get Netter for free.
Then there are anatomy books that have actual photographs (Rohen or Moses). I am waiting to buy the anatomy books. It also looks like prices are going up on Amazon and other sites.

This has probably been said before but I feel like posting.

For anatomy, join SOMA and get a Netters. It will be your primary Anatomy atlas. If you want to supplement it with actual photos, get Rohen. Rohen will really only be useful for anatomy practicals. For studying you will mainly use Netters. You do not need any other anatomy atlas.

In terms of text books, for first semester the only one I would strongly suggest you get now is the anatomy text, regardless of your pathway. Get this text via half.com or amazon.com used, whichever is cheaper. These sites are almost always cheaper than the bookstore even with shipping. Make sure to order it well before classes start so you will have it and can avoid the long bookstore lines during orientation.

For anatomy, you only really need to study the lecture notes. However, for anatomy, the professors love to put one question per quiz and a few per exam on material that was not covered in class but presented in the clinical sections of the text book. So if you study only lecture notes (such as those provided by the note service) as well as the clinical sections of the text, you will be able to get As.

No no, you SHOULD join SOMA, if only for the free Netter's (I know the cost of Netter's is only a cupla bucks more that the cost to join SOMA, but at least then you are a member of SOMA). What I was trying to say was more along the lines of "Just get Netter's and Rohen's."

So I shouldn't join SOMA now? I was going to.

What I should have asked was, should I join SOMA right now, or is it part of registration?

Oh I see, yes, there is no reason to join SOMA until orientation week.

Hey Everyone!
So i put a deposit down at mill glen apts...is anyone else living there?

I also wanted to know what time we were meeting at fox and hound...7 8? any ideas! who is is coming?!

oh i also got my insurance/ book list in the mail yesterday

Thanks for answering my questions! I have some more lol.....:)

In the packet they sent us its list some reading assignments for the histology and embryology books for the 1st week of school. Are we supposed to read those before classes start???

MedicineMan99 "In terms of text books, for first semester the only one I would strongly suggest you get now is the anatomy text, regardless of your pathway. Get this text via half.com or amazon.com used, whichever is cheaper."

I was wondering what anatomy text you were referring too above?

Medicineman99 is referring to the Complete Idiot's Guide to Anatomy. Just kidding (a little). The text that we used was Snell's Clinical Anatomy By Regions 8th Ed. He's right about the clinical correlations from the book, I had forgotten about those. BTW, Medicineman99 is a really great guy who is planning to become the medical correspondent to the Playboy channel :thumbup:.

Did everyone recieve the booklist along with the insurance info? Was it in the same envelope? Also, was there anything about dental insurance?
Thanks.

Did everyone recieve the booklist along with the insurance info? Was it in the same envelope? Also, was there anything about dental insurance?
Thanks.

Nevermind guys...I just checked my mail right after posting this and recieved everything lol. :D