LECOM Erie, Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leonardsean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi future Doctors,

This Thread has two purposes:

1. I am a graduate of LECOM, Erie, Class of 2015. I can help answer questions about the Erie Campus, the curriculum, (I was LDP), the dress code :( etc. This is an intimidating adventure you are embarking on, but it will also fly by.

2. My wife and I purchased a duplex in West Erie (nice neighborhood), and the apartment that we lived in will be up for rent, (we are still the owners). 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, 2 garage stalls are available for parking, washer dryer in basement. Will be looking for $750/month trash and water included, Gas, electric are not included. Great Place for a medical student with a family.

Contact me for further information.

--Sean

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't this go in the class thread?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many students does lecom accept ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accept or matriculate?

LECOM Erie matriculates ~270-280 (in all 3 pathways) and Seton Hill 110-120. I think Bradenton is a bit under 200.

If I remember correctly from a few years back, usually a school like LECOM (and probably most DO schools and low-tier MD schools) sends out 50-100% more than their actual seats through an application cycle.

That said, I believe that LECOM has just a running list and at any given time they only send out enough acceptances as the class can support. Of course people decline acceptances or get into other schools and pull out, but that's what makes the actual "acceptances" about double the amount of the class size.

Last edited:
They will place you on a wait list if you are an acceptable candidate, and will work their way down the wait list as people drop out. They try and avoid the drop out by having a sizeable $1000+ nonrefundable deposit. Because they "accept" so many they also do group interviews which is a tedious, nerve-racking process, but typically, if they offer you an interview they have decided that you are an acceptable candidate, and they are just ranking you on their acceptance/wait list.

I was accepted off of their wait list late, like a week before classes start, my wife and I were on our honeymoon, a Caribbean Cruise, and I had been checking my email on a ship computer... (I had also applied late in the process too, because I had waited until I was rejected from the local state allopathic school, so I applied osteopathic in December or January, if Memory serves...)

--Sean

Reactions: 1 user
Accept or matriculate?

LECOM Erie matriculates ~270-280 (in all 3 pathways) and Seton Hill 110-120. I think Bradenton is a bit under 200.

If I remember correctly from a few years back, usually a school like LECOM (and probably most DO schools and low-tier MD schools) sends out 50-100% more than their actual seats through an application cycle.

That said, I believe that LECOM has just a running list and at any given time they only send out enough acceptances as the class can support. Of course people decline acceptances or get into other schools and pull out, but that's what makes the actual "acceptances" about double the amount of the class size.

Bolded section:

One counterexample: UCSF is one of the top ~5 MD schools. Post II acceptance rate is about 65%.

I do not believe "tier level" is worth relating to "acceptance rate".

Bolded section:

One counterexample: UCSF is one of the top ~5 MD schools. Post II acceptance rate is about 65%.

I do not believe "tier level" is worth relating to "acceptance rate".

You misunderstood the percentage I was referring to. Post II acceptance rate of UCSF is pointless, because they are most likely really selective on who they give invites to.

The stat I was referring to with the 50-100% more than their seats is like this: Say you have a school like TCMC. They have 120 seats (don't know the real number). They are gong to send out somewhere on the level of 180-240 acceptances/seat reservations (i.e. 150-200% of their seats) just to be sure they will fill up their seats, because they know a lot of people will turn them down or drop them once they get off a waitlist to another school. It's how schools make sure they have a full class (at least it's how I know TCMC - and others - functioned 4 yrs ago).

It's the newer/lower-tier schools that must do this at a greater rate, because they are more likely to lose accepted students to more competitive schools.

Now this as you can imagine can be an issue, because what if that year is tougher and not as many people get off waitlists like the year I applied and the year before. In that scenario, they have to work something out. Penn State Hershey for example had a lottery where they gave out 2 yr scholarships to people if they deferred their acceptance for a year. Most schools though are confident in their process, because they base it off years in the cycle.

Hi future Doctors,

1. I am a graduate of LECOM, Erie, Class of 2015. I can help answer questions about the Erie Campus, the curriculum, (I was LDP), the dress code :( etc. This is an intimidating adventure you are embarking on, but it will also fly by.

2. My wife and I purchased a duplex in West Erie (nice neighborhood), and the apartment that we lived in will be up for rent, (we are still the owners). 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, 2 garage stalls are available for parking, washer dryer in basement. Will be looking for $750/month trash and water included, Gas, electric are not included. Great Place for a medical student with a family.

--Sean
Hello!

I was just recently accepted to the Erie campus for the class of 2020 and am currently looking for where I'm going to stay, can you recommend any places to avoid?

Aside from the apartments right near the school there seem to be some cheaper ones closer to the lake, maybe near cherry street, west 8th, west 10th, etc.

Hello!

I was just recently accepted to the Erie campus for the class of 2020 and am currently looking for where I'm going to stay, can you recommend any places to avoid?

Aside from the apartments right near the school there seem to be some cheaper ones closer to the lake, maybe near cherry street, west 8th, west 10th, etc.
Do you mind telling me your stats? Congrats on getting accepted!

Hi future Doctors,

--Sean

Hey Sean,

I actually sat with you in the lunch-lounge portion of the interview on 9/2. I remember you telling your story. Anyways, I ended up getting accepted for the LDP! Do you have any tips for me on how to prepare?

Waitlisted. I guess that's a good thing! There aren't any statistics available about the chances of getting pulled off the waitlist, are there? Is there anything I could do in order to put myself in better standing with the school?

Anyone on here go through, or currently doing so, who was a PA first with some years of experience? I was accepted primary care pathway / dsp as a practicing PA with many years of experience. Trying to decide what to do. Any insight from someone with similar background would be great! Thx :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, and congrats to those accepted! I was recently admitted and can't wait to join the incoming Erie class of 2021!

Sean (thanks for offering to answer questions!), I'm in LDP and am curious about structured vs unstructured time during the day. Are there ever blocks of free time like study halls? Also, does the entire LDP cohort attend the same class simultaneously - or are there different sections?

Finally, I'm heading out to Erie this week to find an apt. For those familiar with Erie, is living ~15 mins from campus (i.e. Lovell Place or Landmark Square apts) a huge drag in the winter? odysseus91, I'm looking at a bunch of places Thurs/Fri and will report back if I see any apts/areas to avoid...

Thanks!

Hey Sean,

I actually sat with you in the lunch-lounge portion of the interview on 9/2. I remember you telling your story. Anyways, I ended up getting accepted for the LDP! Do you have any tips for me on how to prepare?

I would worry about getting situated first. there will be time enough for freaking out about medical school (sipping from the fire hydrant). If I would suggest one thing, get the Grey's Anatomy Flash Cards and start memorizing. Gross Anatomy is first, goes very quickly, and you will feel like you are already behind when you start....Everyone FEELS like that. Remember the Equation: C=MD (or DO). If you're a gunner and want dermatology or radiology, God Bless, and don't get any questions wrong...but for the rest of us, just keep your head down, duck and cover, and the 4 years will pass quickly. Remember: Your worst day on your clinical rotations will be much better than your best day iin LDP.

Living 15 minutes from campus is ok. even in winter, Most people leave home early, get to school early and spend the remainder of the time studying.

The apartment I had for rent is now taken, unfortunately I had a second tennat leave, my downstairs apartment, but the work I'm doing, painting, carpeting, etc, won't be done and ready for move in until August 1st.

--

Last edited:
Anyone on here go through, or currently doing so, who was a PA first with some years of experience? I was accepted primary care pathway / dsp as a practicing PA with many years of experience. Trying to decide what to do. Any insight from someone with similar background would be great! Thx :)

Down side with PCSP is you have to go into primary care, if that's what you want it's ok. But they (LECOM) will contractually limit you to PCP practice. If you decide you want something else later, and don't follow through with the PCP, there will be a financial hit (I Believe). Good luck though, your clinical rotations should be a breeze.

Avoid apartments on the East side of Erie. West can be hit or miss depending on the street, but anything East of State Street may be problematic (i.e gang violence, etc.)

The apartments (and houses) near school are owned by LECOM, are safe, but may be more expensive . Closer to the lake on the West side is OK, depending on the street. There are some **** holes and some more raucous neighborhoods. The house we bought was on West 10th between Raspberry and cranberry. This is a nice neighborhood. West 11th in the same area is kind of crappy, and some of the side streets.

--Sean

Thanks Sean! FYI to those looking, I found a cute/quiet place at 6th and Chestnut (Plymouth Rentals) - maybe 15 minutes from campus. Not sure if I'll have time to enjoy it, but there's a beautiful walking trail on the bay a few blocks away...

Excited to meet everyone!

Hello! I am the admin for the Erie Medical Wives, and we have essentially created a community for significant others of LECOM students, medical residents, and attendings. I'm just touching base here to let incoming students, who have significant others, to know that we have a space for people who are stranded in Erie, PA. We're fun! Check it out.

Hey Sean,

Wow! I'm interviewing at this school this Friday and I'm just on here doing some "market research." Were you asking for $750 for rent for 1 bedroom all 3 bedrooms? Coming from LA, it's unfathomable to me either way ... and definitely a positive thing to consider if I do indeed get accepted...

Hi future Doctors,

Contact me for further informat

Hello Sean,
I am applying for the 2018 cycle and I am beyond nervous. First of all, I have to say that I am redeeming myself from when I received my undergrad in 2013. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA. I went on to pursue my masters degree in 2015 and I graduated with a 3.60. I am currently working on a Biology Graduate certificate and it is some of the same classes that I took in my undergrad and I am doing pretty well. I will begin my 3rd class soon and I have 3.3 GPA right now. I have been a pharmacy tech for over 10 years and I have done community service because I am a PHA Eastern Star. My question is on Pharmcas, my overall GPA is a 2.5 but I have to add another class that I just finished a few days ago.What are some other things that I may be able to do so that I am improve my application. I know that I am moving in the right direction. Thanks for all your help.

Hello Sean,
I am applying for the 2018 cycle and I am beyond nervous. First of all, I have to say that I am redeeming myself from when I received my undergrad in 2013. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA. I went on to pursue my masters degree in 2015 and I graduated with a 3.60. I am currently working on a Biology Graduate certificate and it is some of the same classes that I took in my undergrad and I am doing pretty well. I will begin my 3rd class soon and I have 3.3 GPA right now. I have been a pharmacy tech for over 10 years and I have done community service because I am a PHA Eastern Star. My question is on Pharmcas, my overall GPA is a 2.5 but I have to add another class that I just finished a few days ago.What are some other things that I may be able to do so that I am improve my application. I know that I am moving in the right direction. Thanks for all your help.

Unfortunately, I was a medical student at LECOM, not a pharmacy student, so I can't really speak to that. I would say that I think the pharm program also accepts a large number of Pharmacy students, I don't know how selective they are in their pharmacy candidates or how competitive it is. Sorry.

Best of luck.

--Sean

Wow! I'm interviewing at this school this Friday and I'm just on here doing some "market research." Were you asking for $750 for rent for 1 bedroom all 3 bedrooms? Coming from LA, it's unfathomable to me either way ... and definitely a positive thing to consider if I do indeed get accepted...

$750 for the whole apartment, 3 beds, 1 bath, dinning room, and family room. Will be vacant and available by the 1st or 2nd week of June 2018.

--Sean

$750 for the whole apartment, 3 beds, 1 bath, dinning room, and family room. Will be vacant and available by the 1st or 2nd week of June 2018.

--Sean
Hi Sean, is your duplex still available for rent?

Hey everyone, I'm a LECOM alumni with available housing for rent!

The property is a two story unfurnished 3 bedroom 1 bath single family home located in a quiet and safe neighborhood. The spacious and recently renovated home has hardwood floors, huge kitchen with large island and eat-in dining room, washing machine and dryer set in the large basement, 2 car private driveway, ginormous backyard, and plenty of storage space throughout.

Located conveniently within a 5 minute drive to the grocery store, an asian food store (perhaps the only one in Erie), fast food, restaurants, Walgreens, shopping, banks, post office, and is within 10 minutes drive from the LECOM Campus and Wellness Center. Small pets considered, please inquire.

Rent is $1000/month. Water, garbage/sewage and lawn mowing is included.

It's a great place to live and it's nice and quiet for studying. Message me if interested!

Congratulations to those who were accepted into the incoming class and good luck to those who are waiting.

Hi future Doctors,

--Sean

Hey Sean,

so I know this post is a little dated but I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I am waitlisted for the incoming class and according to the school the last date to hear back from them is a few weeks into July. I am sort of at my wits' end here, because everything else I am currently involved in is sort of controlled by when the school will make a decision. I was just wondering how you dealt with having to wait that long. Did you send any additional info to the school, or just wait until they called? And (I am not sure if this applied to you or not but) how did you navigate packing up your life and moving, finding a place, etc in just one week? Oh and a last question. How did you get your loan/financial stuff in order in that short span of time before the start of classes? Thanks in advance for response. Anything will be helpful (I am kind of freaking out)

Hey Sean,

so I know this post is a little dated but I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I am waitlisted for the incoming class and according to the school the last date to hear back from them is a few weeks into July. I am sort of at my wits' end here, because everything else I am currently involved in is sort of controlled by when the school will make a decision. I was just wondering how you dealt with having to wait that long. Did you send any additional info to the school, or just wait until they called? And (I am not sure if this applied to you or not but) how did you navigate packing up your life and moving, finding a place, etc in just one week? Oh and a last question. How did you get your loan/financial stuff in order in that short span of time before the start of classes? Thanks in advance for response. Anything will be helpful (I am kind of freaking out)

Just wait. You can't do anything else. They will con tact you. You may write one email to the admissions people letting them know that you are still interested in a spot, if one becomes available, just so that they know that you're an active candidate and haven't taken a spot somewhere else. In the meantime get on with your life, try and examine your medical school application, see where the deficiencies are, retake the MCAT if you need to, find a job in the medical field, apply to post-bac pre-med programs (LECOM has a post-bac program too.) etc.

As far as financial aid goes, LECOM will help you with all that, just make sure all your information is set up in the FAFSA system.

And as far as freaking out goes...I tell my patients (and sometimes freinds and colleagues) don't worry about things you have no control over. At this point you have done all that you can. It's in someone else's hands. Worrying about it all just leads to anxiety and depression. There's a sort of relief and freedom in realizing you have done all that you could and just letting go.

That said, start planning for contingencies (which it sounds like you've already done).

Hope that helps, Best of luck.

--Sean

Hey all!

I’m an incoming first year and am just wondering if anyone is aware of any comprehensive Anki decks made by any students for first year? I want to use a premade deck, but I believe the exams are professor made? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just wait. You can't do anything else. They will con tact you. You may write one email to the admissions people letting them know that you are still interested in a spot, if one becomes available, just so that they know that you're an active candidate and haven't taken a spot somewhere else. In the meantime get on with your life, try and examine your medical school application, see where the deficiencies are, retake the MCAT if you need to, find a job in the medical field, apply to post-bac pre-med programs (LECOM has a post-bac program too.) etc.

As far as financial aid goes, LECOM will help you with all that, just make sure all your information is set up in the FAFSA system.

And as far as freaking out goes...I tell my patients (and sometimes freinds and colleagues) don't worry about things you have no control over. At this point you have done all that you can. It's in someone else's hands. Worrying about it all just leads to anxiety and depression. There's a sort of relief and freedom in realizing you have done all that you could and just letting go.

That said, start planning for contingencies (which it sounds like you've already done).

Hope that helps, Best of luck.

--Sean
Thank you!! I have gone past the freaking out part but just worrying about moving from one end of the country to another at a moment's notice seems like an overwhelming prospect. Others have done it so I guess I will be ok if the time comes. Just feels like a lot thinking about it