LECOM-Erie Class of 2011!!! part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About books...the only ones you will really need are the Gross Anatomy textbook, Gross Anatomy atlas (join SOMA to get the free atlas), and an OMM textbook (it's good to have as reference). The Pathology textbook may also be helpful. I never bought it but at times wish I did because the professor is hard to follow. You can wait to buy your textbooks until the first couple of days of class. But if you know what Gross Anatomy and OMM textbook you need to get, I'd do that as soon as you can. I remember the bookstore sold out of the Gross Anatomy textbook after the first 2 days of class (Thursday and Friday) and we had a quiz that Monday. You get slides printed out from the Note Service as Field Doc mentioned and every professor tests from the slides.

Also, Office Max near the mall has a packet of old tests for Gross Anatomy, some CORE classes, and OMM. This packet is VERY helpful, especially for OMM (they used questions from here on every test during the first semester).

As for taking classes at the same time as Gross Anatomy, Embryology, and Histology, we started what they call CORE classes (Physiology, Biochemistry, and Pathology) toward the end of August. But who knows what they have in store for you this year.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm in LDP!

Members don't see this ad.

DnB,
How much do you spend on books? Also, are your loans enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if we just go to the Office Max and ask for that, they'll know what we're talking about?

They have a giant box full of old exams, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

My loans were actually more than enough. I took out the full amount. I'd say I spent about $500 on books the first semester. I bought the Gross Anatomy textbook, Gross Anatomy atlas, Embryology textbook (not necessary but he does assign 2 chapters or so that will have test questions), Microbiology textbook (not necessary), and the OMM textbook.

As for Office Max, they should know what you're talking about. Wait to pick the packet up until you are done with orientation...you will be getting an Office Max discount card during orientation.

Ok I am just a little confused. About the note service, if you subscribe you get "the professor's power point". Don't we have access to these before class and that's what everyone brings up on their computer? Is the benefit here we don't have to print them out?

And then someone takes notes on the powerpoint...? Or just notes? And we get those as well? If we take our own notes, is it useful to have someone else's as well?

And as far as the OfficeMax thing, do we just look at them there, can we copy them and bring them home? I assume we can't just take them.

These may be dumb questions :laugh:

Hey Lisa,

Not dumb questions at all! With Note Service, the benefit is that you get a hard copy of the professor's powerpoint slides that we do also have on our computers. A lot of people are old-fashioned and seem to like it better to take notes on paper rather than on their computer...including myself!

Someone else taking notes is actually beneficial because you may have missed something or you may not have been in class that day. Plus, they answer the objectives for you which is what we are tested on. Sure, you could answer the objectives and in fact I usually do, but it's nice to look and see what someone else wrote at times.

And Office Max, you can say something like I need a copy of the LECOM test packet and they will copy it for you and you should get it bound because it's a big packet.

DNB,

When and How do we sign up for the note service. Also, does someone go around and deliver them personally or do we get them in our locker or is there a pick up point? Just wondering!

See Field Doc's post above about Note Service. Members of your class have to first set it up and then they will let you know when to sign up, etc. There are students that will put the notes in your locker so you can pick them up every morning.

Wow, thanks for all the useful info guys!!

I have another question- what happened to the whole big brother/big sister thing? I sent in my info way back when and never heard back- has anyone? All these wonderful posts are making me very excited, but also nervous and would love a big sister to chat with!

Hey guys-

I'm not sure if anyone else has come across this problem or if it's been posted already (if so, I apologize!). I just got a notice that my insurance did not cover any of the bloodwork we were required to have done for our physical. Now they say I owe them over $400! :eek:

I just wondered if anyone else has run into this issue - and if anyone has gotten their insurance to cover the tests. Thanks!!!

yeah, same here. Know what really chaps me? I had to the the tetanus, polio and another shot because I couldn't find my records... only to find them a week later among some unfiled papers. Oh, the importance of being organized!!! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone out there from ISP that could shed some light on books to buy? Right now, I'd assume if we have to study more on our own, it is probably more important that we buy the books. Plus, I just like having the books. Do we still get powerpoint slides to study once we break off?

Another thing. I was looking over the reading lists for the different pathways and ISP uses the Principles of Physiology and LDP/PBL uses the Textbook of Medical Physiology. Anyone know why there's two different physio books and if one is better or worse than the other?

Pineapple- there is a 13.5 mile trail on Presque Isle Peninsula, it's very nice, wide, flat.

Every tenth of a mile...or at least I think. They may miss one here and there

Last edited:
Are there any organic food stores in Erie or Indian restaurants?

All food is organic by definition. That organic food thing always cracks me up, but seriously, there are plenty of health food stores in town but according to the yelow pages, the nearest "organic" place is in Ripley, NY; www.parablefarm.com. There is also an abundance of farmer's markets. I have been looking for an Indian restaurant but haven't found one.

Wegman's does have a good organic food section, but it doesn't have everything I like to buy, unfortunately. Well this indian/thai food problem has to be resolved. If there are no good restaurants in erie, we'll just have to start one up ourselves!

Hey everyone,

Lauren (Lfribble) and I are heading up the class of 2011 Note Service, she as the head runner, and myself as the head scribe. If you read the previous post, Steph (FieldDoc, 2010 head runner), has explained a lot already. So now Lauren and I need to recruit people to work for us :smuggrin:

The sooner we get people, the sooner we can start this. 2010 started after their classes had started last year, so as a result it was more hectic and you don't get notes from the first lectures. Here are the jobs we need. Keep in mind if you participate you get Note Service for FREE! This costs $150-$175 a semester, and you get "scribe notes" (typed notes from class a few days after lecture) and the Professor's powerpoint notes, you get these the morning of lecture delivered to your locker. You also get a practice test before exams made up of questions from the lectures.

Scribes: I need about 25 of you. The more people we have, the better. All you have to do is take notes about one hour of lecture every week-week and a half or so. There is a set format they have provided us with, so you type notes according to that and email it to me. Pretty easy, only once a week for one hour of class, and it seems like a great way to study...not to mention FREE NOTE SERVICE! This is for LDP people, since obviously they have to attend lectures.

Runners: Lauren is in charge of this. All you do is deliver the powerpoint slides. They get delivered from Office Max the day before lecture. The runners together distribute the slides into people's lockers that signed up for Note Service. You would typically do this after your classes let out for the day so they are all ready the next morning when people get to class. I'm pretty sure any pathway could do this since all you have to do is deliver slides to lockers. Once again, pretty easy to save $150 a semester.

So PLEASE people sign up :)

Let Lauren or me know, the sooner this thing gets up and running the more organized and smooth running it will be for you all!

Does anyone still have their physical/immunization form on them? I sent mine in and made a copy of my info but not the instruction page.

What does it say about the tetanus shot?

Does anyone still have their physical/immunization form on them? I sent mine in and made a copy of my info but not the instruction page.

What does it say about the tetanus shot?
Here you go, emphasis appears in original.
Adult tetanus: An adult tetanus or Td is required within 7 years. This documentation is required prior to Matriculation. If a student's Td expires within the next four years it is required that a new Td vaccination be obtained before school begins to avoid any delays.

Whole Foods Coop on 26th has tons of organic products. It's a very friendly environment and has an abundance of specialty-needs foods (vegan, gluten-free, etc).
PM me if you have any other questions.
There is no Indian food to be found. You are going to have to venture to Buffalo or another nearby city for that.
Ethnic food is sort of hard to comeby in Erie unless you buy stuff to make it in Wegmans or the coop.
-your fellow ethnic food lover

UGH! Why did my doctor say I was up to date then??? Now I have to get one here, and pay for it when my insurance would have covered it. I am having the worst luck with this stupid physical form/my doctor's office.

Hey everyone,

Lauren (Lfribble) and I are heading up the class of 2011 Note Service, she as the head runner, and myself as the head scribe. If you read the previous post, Steph (FieldDoc, 2010 head runner), has explained a lot already. So now Lauren and I need to recruit people to work for us :smuggrin:

The sooner we get people, the sooner we can start this. 2010 started after their classes had started last year, so as a result it was more hectic and you don't get notes from the first lectures. Here are the jobs we need. Keep in mind if you participate you get Note Service for FREE! This costs $150-$175 a semester, and you get "scribe notes" (typed notes from class a few days after lecture) and the Professor's powerpoint notes, you get these the morning of lecture delivered to your locker. You also get a practice test before exams made up of questions from the lectures.

Scribes: I need about 25 of you. The more people we have, the better. All you have to do is take notes about one hour of lecture every week-week and a half or so. There is a set format they have provided us with, so you type notes according to that and email it to me. Pretty easy, only once a week for one hour of class, and it seems like a great way to study...not to mention FREE NOTE SERVICE! This is for LDP people, since obviously they have to attend lectures.

Runners: Lauren is in charge of this. All you do is deliver the powerpoint slides. They get delivered from Office Max the day before lecture. The runners together distribute the slides into people's lockers that signed up for Note Service. You would typically do this after your classes let out for the day so they are all ready the next morning when people get to class. I'm pretty sure any pathway could do this since all you have to do is deliver slides to lockers. Once again, pretty easy to save $150 a semester.

So PLEASE people sign up :)

Let Lauren or me know, the sooner this thing gets up and running the more organized and smooth running it will be for you all!

I just wanted to say nice job on starting this up so soon! Yeah, we didn't have notes for the first week or two and it would've been so nice to have them.

I just wanted to say nice job on starting this up so soon! Yeah, we didn't have notes for the first week or two and it would've been so nice to have them.

Yeah, Steph (FieldDoc) roped us into it ;)

Btw we still need more volunteers, where's your class spirit! :p

Hey guys, my name is Rick and I too will be attending LECOM next week! I am originally from Buffalo, previously attending Canisius College. Anyway, I had some questions about orientation. I was wondering what it is like, and if we actually have "classes" as seen on the schedule. My girlfriend plans on coming up for this week, however if it will be a filled and streesful week I will decline her offer. What do you 2nd years think? Thank you, and hope to see everyone soon!

Hey guys, my name is Rick and I too will be attending LECOM next week! I am originally from Buffalo, previously attending Canisius College. Anyway, I had some questions about orientation. I was wondering what it is like, and if we actually have "classes" as seen on the schedule. My girlfriend plans on coming up for this week, however if it will be a filled and streesful week I will decline her offer. What do you 2nd years think? Thank you, and hope to see everyone soon!

It depends how much your girlfriend expects to see you. Orientation week was usually 8-3, sometimes 4 or later the whole week...and I would suggest you start studying as soon as classes start. I was a bit lax the first couple weeks and I ended up paying for it later. Stay on top of it as soon as classes start. The first week I would probably put in half an hour studying after classes for every hour of classroom you have...then you'll probably have to bump it up.

It depends how much your girlfriend expects to see you. Orientation week was usually 8-3, sometimes 4 or later the whole week...and I would suggest you start studying as soon as classes start. I was a bit lax the first couple weeks and I ended up paying for it later. Stay on top of it as soon as classes start. The first week I would probably put in half an hour studying after classes for every hour of classroom you have...then you'll probably have to bump it up.

Does orientation include classes?

Anybody up for a Friday matinee of the Simpson's movie?

From what the LECOM website is telling me, it seems that we do not have official "classes" ~

July 30th - Aug 3rd "Workshops prepare LECOM medical students for classes"

So I am still not sure about orientation...

I am under the impression that we do have actual classes during orientation. Fielddoc said that her class gave feedback saying orientation was horribly boring and that they should throw some classes in to remind us of what we are here for.

Woohoo!! I made it to Erie with my family! We closed on our house yesterday, and now I'm sitting peacefully in Wegmans not working when I should be. Oh well.

Lisa, I am IN as a scriber. I also have a great idea for an online WIKI for those who subscribe, I wonder if it would be a selling point for the group. If so, I'd manage that.

We bought a house down by the isle, right off the end of highway 79 where it ends in the middle of erie. It will take me a quick 10 minutes to get to school in my motorcycle. I'm looking forward to seeing you all!!

David

PS, I'm intersted in creating an IM web for us. meaning, we all put on our IMs that we use, like I use gtalk mostly, but I have access to all th others, so during school we can ping each other when we're studying and help each each other.

Welcome to Erie David!!

It sounds like you live fairly close to me. And thanks for being a scribe!! We are definately still looking for runners and scribes...hint hint for the rest of you!!....

i am def. down for the simpsons movie on friday! Also there is talk on facebook of people getting together thrusday night on state street to check out the erie nightlife...for those of you who dont have facebook i will post times and meeting places for that...what time for the simpsons movie?

Hey folks, I'll be a PBL'er with you guys. I just moved into Millcreek and have been looking for a few things to do instead of unpacking. I'd be in for the movie Friday, just say where and when. Drop me a PM or hit me up on AIM, same SN.
If anyone is interested in going out for a drink before then I wouldn't be opposed to that. If there is a decent watering hole here in Erie it would be nice to find early. The beer buying situation has certainly been interesting.

has anyone seen a costco or knows if there is one in erie
i know there is a sams club, but i was hoping for a costco.

thanks