LECOM-Erie Class of 2011!!! part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye4life

DO, MPT, MEd
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just 2 more weeks!!! How's everyone going to spend their last few days of freedom?

Members don't see this ad.

moving to erie, fun college-esque weekend in new york, then med school...woohoo!! Anybody else moving in this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
moving to erie, fun college-esque weekend in new york, then med school...woohoo!! Anybody else moving in this week?
If you like Thai food, make sure you eat at Pong Sri. I think it's on 48th just east of 8th Ave. There is no Thai food in Erie and my wife and I are jonesin' for Pong Sri. Mangia E Bevi on 9th Ave is a wonderful Italian restaurant with outdoor seating. I miss NYC and I'm hungry.

If you go to the official Erie tourist webpage, there's a restaurant guide to Erie. There's even a Greek place! but I don't know how good it is....

I'll be in Erie tomorrow afternoon... currently spending the night somewhere in Ohio.... It's a long drive from Texas!!!

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A ROOMATE FOR A VERY LONG TIME, I REALLY NEED SOME HELP, IF ANYONE KNOWS IF ANYTHING , PLEASE HELP ME, THANKS,
LOOKING FOR FEMALE, NON-SMOKER,
THANKS,
Patty

I too, spent the night in Somewhere, Ohio. My God it takes forever to drive through that state. The Air Force Museum is cool though.

I too, spent the night in Somewhere, Ohio. My God it takes forever to drive through that state. The Air Force Museum is cool though.

It was very painful, but I managed to pass by the National Corvette Museum without going in. I'd never been to Kentucky, and I can't believe how beautiful it is!! Ohio's pretty nice, so far... Cincinnatti was awesome!!!

The Greek place sucks in Erie lol There's nothing like a NYC Gyro! I'll be up the 20th as well.

i think i have been to that thai restaurant...my fav is still wild ginger down on grove and bleecker....sooo amazing...anywho, worry not my friends, i make a mean pad thai so i think foreign food fridays will survive even out of manhattan. I will be sure to get plenty of the noodles in new york, i havent explored erie much but i doubt there are asian supermarkets.

I hear you on the long drive...i just drove up from florida....west virginia is a very large and weird state.....my waitress at huddle house opened a large bottle of coffeemate with her teeth....it was amazing!!!

I think I saw a Oriental Market down Peach St. right before W26th.

There is actually quite a lot of Asian food in Erie, just no Thai. The phone book lists one restaurant as being Thai, it's called Papermoon. My wife and I checked it out. We were greeted by a young, blonde hostess who in response to my inquiry about Thai cuisine, responded with "Sure we have Thai food, we have sushi." :confused: The place was beautiful and empty. It could have something to do with everything on the menu being in the $35 range. We didn't eat there.

My wife and I are coming in Next Sunday and closing on our house on Monday. I'm so excited to meet you all. It's fun to think how close a family we're all going to be when we get through. It's like going to Hogwarts and knowing that after it's all said and done you and your house rocks the most!

Sorry for the HP refference, I"m excited to have the final book come out. I didn't especially like the movie.

I have to go to Kansas this week to present a paper. Then My inlaws are driving out my car. We're flying because we have a 2.5 yo and a 5 mo old. Much easier.

See you all soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I love that Potter is taking over at the moment! I can't wait for the book. I thought the movie was pretty decent though.

Haha, I love that Potter is taking over at the moment! I can't wait for the book. I thought the movie was pretty decent though.

It was OKAY. I've been regularly critical of the movies because the books are much richer than the movies. I'll probably have it read in a day, if at all possible.

Come on now Lisa- it's business casual, not professional dress.....:rolleyes:;)

If you don't have anything better to do, like myself, I found it fun to go to the class of 2010's thread and hear some of their comments after starting their first year. I have to admit, it got my heart beating a little faster but at the same time all the more ready to get started. You can definitely tell by some of their posts that many of them felt overwhelmed, and that gets to be us very shortly. :D:scared::eek::)

i will def be at bowling! I have never bowled over a 60 so i am hoping to PR on the 29th

does anyone know when the first round of registration begins...i can't remember if it was 8 or 9 in the morning on the 28th...i lost that paper in the moving process

i will def be at bowling! I have never bowled over a 60 so i am hoping to PR on the 29th

does anyone know when the first round of registration begins...i can't remember if it was 8 or 9 in the morning on the 28th...i lost that paper in the moving process

Last names:
A - J 9 am
K - R 10 am
S - Z 11 am

All in Lecture Hall C. Of course I'm in the earliest group :(

Hey everyone...I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck as you move to Erie, attend orientation, and start classes! I'm a second year at LECOM. If you ever have questions, I'm here to help!

Enjoy your last few days of freedom! The first couple of weeks are going to be very overwhelming but stick with it. Once Gross Anatomy is over, it does get better! If you are struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help and get a tutor. Don't expect to get all A's if that is something you are used to and don't let it get you down. You may find yourself worrying a lot that you aren't doing well enough or studying enough...just let me tell you this is normal! Also, study groups are not really necessary to study for lecture but they are KEY to study for lab. And just to forewarn you, you will see anatomy concepts over and over in OPP and you will study the anatomy of the brain in Neuroanatomy that you will start in April. No one told us we weren't completely done with anatomy in November! lol Those are just some things I wish someone would have told me last year. Good luck!

Will we be taking other classes at the same time as Anatomy, Histology, and Embryology? I read the class of 2010 thread and there was mention of Biochem in the first semester.

Hey everyone...I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck as you move to Erie, attend orientation, and start classes! I'm a second year at LECOM. If you ever have questions, I'm here to help!
When do you recommend to buy books for classes? Should I wait until first day of classes or should I get them now? I'm going to be in LDP and I think I read somewhere that they mostly use powerpoint slides.

Yes I'm confused about book buying as well, considering we have classes during orientation week?

I'm also worried about the books... the fact that I'm dead broke from getting everything ready for the move. I wont have much cash money until our loan checks are sent to us. I'm real nervous about being able to afford everything until then.

I'm also worried about the books... the fact that I'm dead broke from getting everything ready for the move. I wont have much cash money until our loan checks are sent to us. I'm real nervous about being able to afford everything until then.

Amen to that! I think everyone is dead broke and in debt lol

Has anyone else noticed this? Its kinda random...

The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine is committed to providing all students and employees with a safe and secure environment in which to study and work. To that end the college has established a comprehensive security program that includes state of the art physical security systems and techniques, careful screening of all employees and students through criminal records checks and/or background investigations and an aggressive information security program. However, we forgot to secure this site. Oops!

I'm definitely joining SOMA just for the free Netter's. That guy was so gifted with his drawings. I had a copy a few years ago, but an ex-roommate ended up taking it with him to Arizona. Punk. However, I'm with you guys in how are we suppose to afford all this stuff if student refund checks don't come in until 2 weeks after classes start? Guess it'll be put on credit and then paid off as soon as the dispursements come out.

As for the security thing, Lisa, little ironic. However, as long as computer hackers aren't coming into the school, I'll let it slide.:)

When are you moving to Erie? You are moving to Landmarksquare, aren't you?

I have the Netter flashcards, they're great. Very comprehensive.

I just went to LECOM and got the computer thingy done, this Lenovo Thinkpad notebook computer/scuba regulator really kicks @$$! While I was there, I stopped by the bookstore and picked up a book list. The nice girl who works there gave me the skinny on what I actually needed to buy for ISP. She recommended Joining SOMA and getting the free Netter's (You actually save $0.95 USD) and mentioned that getting a second atlas would be ideal unless you like spending hours studying with your face in a book that smells like the anatomy lab. She also had our 1st semester schedule behind the counter and it looks like we will be doing anatomy/histo/embryo for 12 weeks instead of 15, and after that, the ISPers will only need to buy our books one at a time since we only do one module at a time.

Are you studying already and trying to make us look bad?;)

I for one am brushing up on histology and anatomy. I figure, if I'm going to be shot out of a canon, I might as well wear a helmet.

Last edited:
I just went to LECOM and got the computer thingy done, this Lenovo Thinkpad notebook computer/scuba regulator really kicks @$$! While I was there, I stopped by the bookstore and picked up a book list. The nice girl who works there gave me the skinny on what I actually needed to buy for ISP. She recommended Joining SOMA and getting the free Netter's (You actually save $0.95 USD) and mentioned that getting a second atlas would be ideal unless you like spending hours studying with your face in a book that smells like the anatomy lab. She also had our 1st semester schedule behind the counter and it looks like we will be doing anatomy/histo/embryo for 12 weeks instead of 15, and after that, the ISPers will only need to buy our books one at a time since we only do one module at a time.

Good info, thanks. But what about the biochem, pathology, and physiology lectures that the website says that we take concurrently with the others?

She recommended the free Netter's from SOMA, plus another one of your choice (There are a few on the list). She suggested using Netter's to start and then after a couple of weeks, going to the library and looking through the different ones to pick one that best suits you. She said not to bother with the Histo and Embryo texts 'cuz the powerpoints and notes should really be sufficient. Then after those classes are over, ISPers should just buy the books one at a time. She said that Physiology was going to be the first module, therefore it should be purchased in November by itself. BTW, the book list is HUGE.

Good info, thanks. But what about the biochem, pathology, and physiology lectures that the website says that we take concurrently with the others?
I'm just telling you what she said. Where on the website are you looking?

Two things:

First, on books. I bought a lot of the books (even though I'm LDP) because I am a dork and like reading them. You do not, however, need them if you are LDP. Buying them used on Amazon or another site has been the best way that I have seen to do it. Buying them early helps you get them cheaper so that you aren't all trying to buy used ones at the same time and the prices are therefore higher. I got the list and had my books purchased a month or two before school, again I am a dork.

Second, I help run the second year's noteservice. Its a student run thing where you can get printed class notes (the prof's power point) and notes on what was said in classes (called scribe notes). In order for you guys to have this service, you need to start one up. Three students are needed to run it:

-Head scribe - in charge of the scribes who take notes in class, have to make schedules, and send out the scribe notes
-Head runner - in charge of the runners who deliver the printed class notes and getting the notes for class printed (uploading them to a server and they are then delivered)
-Treasurer - in charge of paying the bills for the printed notes and keeping the noteservice out of the red

Once we get those three people, other students will be solicited to be runners and scribes. The bonuses of being one of these three positions is that you can put it on your curiculum vitae and you get free noteservice.

If you are interested in being any of the above three positions or a scribe or runner (they get free noteservice too) then drop me a PM stating what you are interested in. LDP students are the ones who typically participate in the noteservice, but any pathway could actually be the treasurer or head scribe.