Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're not necessarily "crappy" in that they don't care about teaching, they're "crappy" in the sense that they're smaller community hospitals where you won't see anywhere near the same diversity of pathology as you would at a tertiary referral center like the UPMC facilities. You'll see mainly lots of bread and butter things, helpful in a clinical setting of your future practice (as those are the same bread and butter things you'd be seeing), not so helpful in a boards/shelf setting. Community hospitals have their perks though, you're not fighting fellows and residents and interns and other students for procedures, you usually get more autonomy, stuff like that. Both community hospitals and tertiary referral centers have their ups and downs. As my last attending put it best, you can be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond, all depends on what you want.

What other "bigger" clinical sites are available? Anything close to the size of a major UPMC hospital?

Just trying to get a feel for which hospitals could work as replacements for the ones lost at UPMC.

Also, I was under the impression that a lot of rotations were done at UPMC. Now, with those sites out of the picture, where is LECOM getting extra sites from?

Members don't see this ad.

What other "bigger" clinical sites are available? Anything close to the size of a major UPMC hospital?

Just trying to get a feel for which hospitals could work as replacements for the ones lost at UPMC.

Also, I was under the impression that a lot of rotations were done at UPMC. Now, with those sites out of the picture, where is LECOM getting extra sites from?
Well, clearly UPMC was the biggest system in our network of affiliates, but we also only had core rotations at certain facilities of theirs (for instance, they didn't take us at Presby, the biggest in their network, prolly as a way to cater to their own medical students.) In Pittsburgh there is still AGH. In Erie there is still Saint Vincent, and actually as of right now we can still do core rotations (EM, neuropsych, peds) at Hamot. I can't speak for the hospitals in the other geographic areas though, because I'm just not familiar with them. If you PM me an email address, I can send you the list of our affiliate hospitals if you don't have one already.

The UPMC lockout has had a much bigger effect on elective rotations than core rotations. The number of core rotations was pretty limited, but UPMC was extremely popular for electives, especially for the students that chose to rotate in Pittsburgh (AGH is an option, but space is limited as you compete with Drexel students there who get first dibs.)

Well, clearly UPMC was the biggest system in our network of affiliates, but we also only had core rotations at certain facilities of theirs (for instance, they didn't take us at Presby, the biggest in their network, prolly as a way to cater to their own medical students.) In Pittsburgh there is still AGH. In Erie there is still Saint Vincent, and actually as of right now we can still do core rotations (EM, neuropsych, peds) at Hamot. I can't speak for the hospitals in the other geographic areas though, because I'm just not familiar with them. If you PM me an email address, I can send you the list of our affiliate hospitals if you don't have one already.

The UPMC lockout has had a much bigger effect on elective rotations than core rotations. The number of core rotations was pretty limited, but UPMC was extremely popular for electives, especially for the students that chose to rotate in Pittsburgh (AGH is an option, but space is limited as you compete with Drexel students there who get first dibs.)

Thanks Slane, I PMed you. That's good to hear about Hamot, hopefully sites will expand in the future. Either that or they'll work something out with UPMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's my understanding that LECOM is in the process of working out some other things with St. V's and other places. Also, per a 2nd year that I'm friends with, Silvia Feretti met with their class on Wednesday at which time she said that if you are set on doing some of the primary care fields (FM, IM without the intention of doing a fellowship, Peds), to contact Clin Ed and they will do everything they can to get you into UPMC, if that's a place you are interested in - that they may have some room for movement in the primary care fields with UPMC still. Basically, from what I understand, LECOM is in the process of working on several options - both in and out of UPMC - and they are making progress at opening up other rotation. We shall see what happens.

It's my understanding that LECOM is in the process of working out some other things with St. V's and other places. Also, per a 2nd year that I'm friends with, Silvia Feretti met with their class on Wednesday at which time she said that if you are set on doing some of the primary care fields (FM, IM without the intention of doing a fellowship, Peds), to contact Clin Ed and they will do everything they can to get you into UPMC, if that's a place you are interested in - that they may have some room for movement in the primary care fields with UPMC still. Basically, from what I understand, LECOM is in the process of working on several options - both in and out of UPMC - and they are making progress at opening up other rotation. We shall see what happens.
There's highly conflicting information coming from the UPMC side of things though. I don't think anyone has the full story right now, and we honestly will probably never get it!

There's highly conflicting information coming from the UPMC side of things though. I don't think anyone has the full story right now, and we honestly will probably never get it!

Exactly - there is very conflicting information being put out there. Who knows what the real story is (probably somewhere in the middle), and, you're right, we probably never will get the full story. In the end, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Exactly - there is very conflicting information being put out there. Who knows what the real story is (probably somewhere in the middle), and, you're right, we probably never will get the full story. In the end, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

I have a connection with one of the corporate officers at UPMC, and I will try to get the story from him next week.

Does anyone know when/if LECOM has a revisit day for accepted students? And is it mandatory?

Anyone hear of any movement from the wait list yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi OneReason - Thanks for taking the time to give your input. What do you mean about the "morals of the place" with regards to not switching careers? I don't see what it might have to do with morals. Anyway, it sounds like there is a lot of flux going on right now from what you've said. I think we would like some input from other current students, too, to see if they agree with your conclusion that LECOM's program is terrible. As I don't know any current students personally, maybe someone out there reading this thread could address the points made in the above post. Thank you in advance.

I joined this site for 1 reason, and 1 reason only (hence my name) I want all of y ou to have the following questions answered by someone who is a student or works at LECOM before you go to such a terrible place.

1. How much time do you get at the end of your 2nd year to study for boards? The answer is 2 weeks while every other school get over 4. LECOM receives incentives (maybe financial) from Highmark insurance company to graduate primary care doctors and have them practice in the Highmark network in Western PA. A primary care doctor practicing in Western PA has a lower board score than average, so LECOM tries as hard as they can to lower board scores to get reimbursed by Highmark. One way they do this is by giving students no time to study.
2. Ask them the average tenure of a faculty member, the good ones last 2 years. They underpay the faculty, and overwork them. Ask them what % of their full time faculty has been there over 4 years?
3. Ask them where your tuition money goes during your third and 4th years, because unlike most other medical schools LECOM DOES NOT PAY THE HOSPITAL FOR YOU TO GO THERE. This is how they just got dropped by UPMC. The students received the email (marked confidential of course) at 10:30 pm on a Friday night that there major affiliate and best teaching hospital was being dropped. Take a good look at their affiliated hospitals list, research the hospitals, THEY ARE GARBAGE.
4. Ask them about how many questions per test need to be dropped because if they were not over half the class would fail because of poor teaching and even more poorly written questions. On a recent psychiatry final less than a month from boards the second year class had one in 5 questions dropped due to ineffective teaching.
5. Ask them how much pharmacology Ph. D's are on staff there (1) This year a 4th year medical student was teaching pharmacology to a lecture hall of 160 2nd years.
6. ASK THEM IF THEIR ACCREDITATION HAS EVER BEEN UNDER SCRUTINY. LECOM IS ACCREDITITED BY THE MIDDLE STATES ACCREDITATION AGENCY WHO RECENTLY TOOK THEM OFF A 1 PLUS YEAR PROBATION. DO YOU WANT TO GO TO A MEDICAL SCHOOL WHERE YOU MIGHT NOT RECEIVE YOUR DEGREE BECAUSE OF ACCREDITATION ISSUES. IF THE SCHOOL LOST ITS ACCREDITATION STUDENTS WHO ALREADY GRADUATED IN RESIDENCIES AND ATTENDINGS WOULD LOSE THEIR DEGREES. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS RESEARCH IT.
7. Ask them about how a month out from boards an extra history and physical practical was magically added to the second years schedule, set to take place DURING THE WEEK MOST SECOND YEARS ARE TAKING BOARDS AND OR MOVING TO A NEW PLACE FOR ROTATIONS. ALTHOUGH THE ASSIGNMENT IS NOT GRADED IT IS MANDATORY THAT STUDENTS PASS THIS HOUR LONG ASSIGNMENT ON MATERIAL THEY LEARNED OVER A YEAR AGO WHICH IS NOT TESTED ON THE BOARDS. (History and Physical is not tested on the boards.)
8. Ask them what happened with the physician assistant pathway last year when it was mandated that all students in the PA program must do osteopathic residencies!!!!! Only until a lawsuit was threatened against LECOM by one of the physician assistant students for breach of contract was this rescinded by administration.
9. Ask them about the awful full time faculty:student ratio (nowhere to be found on their website)
10. Ask them what they do for diversity outreach. There are 3 total African American students in years one and two now.
Please don't take my word for this, I wouldn't trust the word of a random forum post by someone who has never posted before either. However, answer all these questions before you go there. Either have a faculty member answer them, IN WRITING IN AN EMAIL, or better yet ask a current student when you visit WHEN NO FACULTY ARE AROUND. Do not have the student answer your concerns in an email, because the school is know to spy on students (over 300 security cameras on a small campus). As premeds I know you all are eager to start medical school but if LECOM is the only place that accepts you, do not go. They prey on students who where not accepted elsewhere. I would not have taken the time to write this if it was not all true. The first day at LECOM the Dean gives an infamous speech where she says you can change spouses but you cannot change careers. That should speak to the morals of this place.

Okay, I will preface this response with the fact that I do not absolutely love LECOM but they did grant my degree and I do appreciate it so here goes

1) The Highmark money was just given this year, prior to that the same amount of time was given to study for boards after 2nd year so your logic doesn't quite work out. In addition, we all know ahead of time how much time you will have to study so it benefits you to start studying along with classes earlier in the year (which is what almost everyone does).

2) That may be true, but to be honest the majority of the good professors are still there. Yes there are some that have left who I consider to be fantastic, but they left to take higher positions at other schools (deans, etc).

3) This has been the way it has always been. The logic from LECOM is that tuition would be much higher if they did this. No, I don't agree, but I think the UPMC issue is much less about money than the $$ from Highmark and the history between the two organizations in pittsburgh.

4) You think LECOM is the only school that drops questions ? Just be glad they agree that the questions were bad and actually drop them.

5) Pharm professors are hard to come by and most are teaching...the pharm students. It is one of the subjects that you realize quickly must be learned by yourself and not in lecture. This may change in the future (can't comment on that).

6) Accreditation by any of these bodies is voluntary. I cannot speak to why they were on a 1 year cycle so therefore no one can really make any comments on how that affects their ability to perform.

7) Last I knew H&P is on the PE/CS.....so yes...plus if you're going out on rotations you need to know about H&Ps. Obviously there were some deficiencies noted that they wanted to address. H&P was by no means the hardest class in the world.

8) I believe that was also the case with the accelerated primary care scholars pathway as well. If that's the agreement you enter med school with then there would be no reason to complain. If they change it halfway through....different story.

9) Keeping less full time faculty decreases tuition, also why have a huge faculty load for each subject given the amount of time they spend lecturing ?

10) Not even going to comment.

Lastly, that speech is given every year. Perhaps you should be a bit intimidated but it is a big commitment when you enter med school and that is the whole idea behind the speech. Know what you are getting in to before you start things. Medicine is not now what it used to be and the school just wants you to graduate (plus it looks bad if you fail out or leave before graduation anyway).

sorry this is going to be off topic from what is going on there ^ but can someone explain the process of rotations? Do you move to one city and stay there for 2 years, or do you rotate to different sites? Sorry if this is a dumb question....

Not a dumb question. You can select a '13' group where you stay at one hospital or hospital group for all your core rotations or you can pick rotations at different hospitals. Most people can pick a general area or city but the number of rotation sites in a given area may be limited. Odds are if you don't pick a 13 group you will have to move around a bit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Anyone know when they are going to send a roommate list? i remember filling something out back in mid winter about roommate stuff but I have not received anything in the mail yet. Not sure if they were waiting till end of may but just wanted to check and see if anyone else received anything yet

thanks

Not a dumb question. You can select a '13' group where you stay at one hospital or hospital group for all your core rotations or you can pick rotations at different hospitals. Most people can pick a general area or city but the number of rotation sites in a given area may be limited. Odds are if you don't pick a 13 group you will have to move around a bit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that they are moving toward doing all 13s - but I'm not 100% sure how it has all been working out.

Anyone know when they are going to send a roommate list? i remember filling something out back in mid winter about roommate stuff but I have not received anything in the mail yet. Not sure if they were waiting till end of may but just wanted to check and see if anyone else received anything yet

thanks

They sent it out a few weeks ago. If you didn't receive it, you can send me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.

I'd also like to know why OneReason decided to go to LECOM in the first place. You seem to feel very strongly about it (so much that the rambling sentences kind of took away from your message) but you didn't share your personal story.

I think again it is important for accepted students to remember that not everyone is happy with their schools, and there will always be a line between students and administration. Like I've mentioned the last time something like this happened, my boyfriend goes to a very good state MD school, and his friend had to go in front of the board because he missed a week of school in his first year because his best friend died, and then in his third year on the last day of one of his rotations, he was upset he had to sit around for 2 hours just to hand in a pager and was "turned in" by the secretary. He had to go into a room full of his professors and the administration, and wasn't allowed to give his point of view or share what happened, and was threatened with a dismissal from school. I'm only sharing this because I think it's easy for us to read stories or posts like these every few months and be like....oh ****, what have I gotten myself into. In the end, I enjoyed my visit at LECOM and they are the school that gave me the opportunity to become a doctor. I probably won't love everything about it there, but it's only for a small period of our life.

I'd also like to know why OneReason decided to go to LECOM in the first place. You seem to feel very strongly about it (so much that the rambling sentences kind of took away from your message) but you didn't share your personal story.

I think again it is important for accepted students to remember that not everyone is happy with their schools, and there will always be a line between students and administration. Like I've mentioned the last time something like this happened, my boyfriend goes to a very good state MD school, and his friend had to go in front of the board because he missed a week of school in his first year because his best friend died, and then in his third year on the last day of one of his rotations, he was upset he had to sit around for 2 hours just to hand in a pager and was "turned in" by the secretary. He had to go into a room full of his professors and the administration, and wasn't allowed to give his point of view or share what happened, and was threatened with a dismissal from school. I'm only sharing this because I think it's easy for us to read stories or posts like these every few months and be like....oh ****, what have I gotten myself into. In the end, I enjoyed my visit at LECOM and they are the school that gave me the opportunity to become a doctor. I probably won't love everything about it there, but it's only for a small period of our life.

Well stated, Chiefer.

I'll agree that you should take a single person's experience with a grain of salt, but one thing that has consistently been said by all current students and past students that I've met has been the general abrasiveness of the administration.

Even the ones I know that like LECOM and have come out to be successful physicians still say that the way to get through is to keep your head down and stay under the radar.

Now that being said, is that unique to LECOM? Probably not. Does it change people's mind whether or not they want to go? That is probably very dependent on the individual. If they want a school where they will get cuddly with the admins, be comforted at every turn and never have a complaint, maybe LECOM isn't for them. If they want a school that trains them to be both a professional and good physician with high board scores, then LECOM does that just as well if not better than many other programs, and for much cheaper at that.

The only thing at this point that is a bit upsetting to me is the whole loss of UPMC rotation sites (especially so suddenly), but I'm hoping that they expand their rotation sites at other places like UH, so this is no longer an issue.

Did anyone else have trouble with the verified password they were given?

I joined this site for 1 reason, and 1 reason only (hence my name) I want all of y ou to have the following questions answered by someone who is a student or works at LECOM before you go to such a terrible place.

1. How much time do you get at the end of your 2nd year to study for boards? The answer is 2 weeks while every other school get over 4. LECOM receives incentives (maybe financial) from Highmark insurance company to graduate primary care doctors and have them practice in the Highmark network in Western PA. A primary care doctor practicing in Western PA has a lower board score than average, so LECOM tries as hard as they can to lower board scores to get reimbursed by Highmark. One way they do this is by giving students no time to study.
2. Ask them the average tenure of a faculty member, the good ones last 2 years. They underpay the faculty, and overwork them. Ask them what % of their full time faculty has been there over 4 years?
3. Ask them where your tuition money goes during your third and 4th years, because unlike most other medical schools LECOM DOES NOT PAY THE HOSPITAL FOR YOU TO GO THERE. This is how they just got dropped by UPMC. The students received the email (marked confidential of course) at 10:30 pm on a Friday night that there major affiliate and best teaching hospital was being dropped. Take a good look at their affiliated hospitals list, research the hospitals, THEY ARE GARBAGE.
4. Ask them about how many questions per test need to be dropped because if they were not over half the class would fail because of poor teaching and even more poorly written questions. On a recent psychiatry final less than a month from boards the second year class had one in 5 questions dropped due to ineffective teaching.
5. Ask them how much pharmacology Ph. D's are on staff there (1) This year a 4th year medical student was teaching pharmacology to a lecture hall of 160 2nd years.
6. ASK THEM IF THEIR ACCREDITATION HAS EVER BEEN UNDER SCRUTINY. LECOM IS ACCREDITITED BY THE MIDDLE STATES ACCREDITATION AGENCY WHO RECENTLY TOOK THEM OFF A 1 PLUS YEAR PROBATION. DO YOU WANT TO GO TO A MEDICAL SCHOOL WHERE YOU MIGHT NOT RECEIVE YOUR DEGREE BECAUSE OF ACCREDITATION ISSUES. IF THE SCHOOL LOST ITS ACCREDITATION STUDENTS WHO ALREADY GRADUATED IN RESIDENCIES AND ATTENDINGS WOULD LOSE THEIR DEGREES. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS RESEARCH IT.
7. Ask them about how a month out from boards an extra history and physical practical was magically added to the second years schedule, set to take place DURING THE WEEK MOST SECOND YEARS ARE TAKING BOARDS AND OR MOVING TO A NEW PLACE FOR ROTATIONS. ALTHOUGH THE ASSIGNMENT IS NOT GRADED IT IS MANDATORY THAT STUDENTS PASS THIS HOUR LONG ASSIGNMENT ON MATERIAL THEY LEARNED OVER A YEAR AGO WHICH IS NOT TESTED ON THE BOARDS. (History and Physical is not tested on the boards.)
8. Ask them what happened with the physician assistant pathway last year when it was mandated that all students in the PA program must do osteopathic residencies!!!!! Only until a lawsuit was threatened against LECOM by one of the physician assistant students for breach of contract was this rescinded by administration.
9. Ask them about the awful full time faculty:student ratio (nowhere to be found on their website)
10. Ask them what they do for diversity outreach. There are 3 total African American students in years one and two now.
Please don't take my word for this, I wouldn't trust the word of a random forum post by someone who has never posted before either. However, answer all these questions before you go there. Either have a faculty member answer them, IN WRITING IN AN EMAIL, or better yet ask a current student when you visit WHEN NO FACULTY ARE AROUND. Do not have the student answer your concerns in an email, because the school is know to spy on students (over 300 security cameras on a small campus). As premeds I know you all are eager to start medical school but if LECOM is the only place that accepts you, do not go. They prey on students who where not accepted elsewhere. I would not have taken the time to write this if it was not all true. The first day at LECOM the Dean gives an infamous speech where she says you can change spouses but you cannot change careers. That should speak to the morals of this place.
i gotta say man your awfully bitter. i understand some of what your talking about being almost done with 1st year but i think that if you would have come off with a better tone and been more objective about some stuff than people would have maybe been more receptive.

first off, i had more than 1 acceptance and choose lecom. yeah, we may have to put up with more crap than other schools but guess what at the end of the day you decided to come here. noone forced you too. i love the people that complain about the dress code or the mandatory attendance. Did you think that when school started that it would change?

in regards to less board study time, do you really think the school has a conspiracy theory to keep everyone in primary care? if so they must be doing a pretty crappy job......just look at our match list. its pretty good. yeah, maybe we have less time to study for boards. plan accordingly. for me I'm gonna start about 6 months out. so does 2 vs 4 weeks make an enormous difference?? no.......thats why your last few systems are easier cause they know you will be studying for boards.

as far as dropping UPMC i agree with you, that sucks. but don't think it was due to money. regardless however, it should not have happened and it just flat out sucks. a lot of my friends are from steel city and their pissed and have a right to be. don't forget though lecom isn't the only school that doesn't pay for rotations.

as far as the 4th year who is teaching pharm i love how you keep out a little anecdote from the equation. Dr. Randolph has his pharmD and taught the pharm program for a few years before deciding to go to medical school. he is by far one of our better pharm professors and has very valuable information not just for boards but for when we go out on to the wards cause he sees it prescribed every day. so do we technically get taught by a 4th year med student? yes. was he a pharmacist who taught students for many years prior to going back to med school? yes. don't try and make things out to be worse than they really are.
as far as accreditation i have literally never heard that before.

overall i have enjoyed my time hear. having multiple acceptances would i rethink my option? no. i made the right choice. lecom graduates great doctors every year just like you will be.

everyone one should just know what they are getting into.
things you will see that will not change

-dress code
-mandatory attendance
-taking tests that make you say WTF JUST HAPPENED cause it was either never taught, or taught very poorly. first years had an exam where the average was a 73 and 62 out of 180 people failed. that was after they dropped ten questions, only 2 people got a's and they were both 90% which was the highest grade, they do NOT curve here. it can get discouraging at times. but you get thru it. (again this was the first and only time this happened so far)
-sitting in alphabetical order (this is honestly the only thing i don't like lol)
-an administration that watches over you like hawks, watches your every move to make sure that you do not mess up or get in trouble. lecom is very image conscious and for good reason being the biggest medical school in the country. they do not mess around. if you have your stuff together and are a hard worker and dont plan on bieng the next antonio bryant or plaxico burress you will do fine. hell you might even be crazy like me and enjoy it.

Last edited:
everyone one should just know what they are getting into.
things you will see that will not change

-dress code
-mandatory attendance
-taking tests that make you say WTF JUST HAPPENED cause it was either never taught, or taught very poorly. first years had an exam where the average was a 73 and 62 out of 180 people failed. that was after they dropped ten questions, only 2 people got a's and they were both 90% which was the highest grade, they do NOT curve here. it can get discouraging at times. but you get thru it. (again this was the first and only time this happened so far)
-sitting in alphabetical order (this is honestly the only thing i don't like lol)
-an administration that watches over you like hawks, watches your every move to make sure that you do not mess up or get in trouble. lecom is very image conscious and for good reason being the biggest medical school in the country. they do not mess around. if you have your stuff together and are a hard worker and dont plan on bieng the next antonio bryant or plaxico burress you will do fine. hell you might even be crazy like me and enjoy it.

Thanks, man. . I like this last part. It pretty much sums up every other LECOM hate rant on this damn forum. It sounds like if you aren't a whiny punk, and you study hard, you'll be fine.

I am a little worried about the rotations, but I'll keep my fingers crossed they establish some new sites by 2015!

Thanks, man. . I like this last part. It pretty much sums up every other LECOM hate rant on this damn forum. It sounds like if you aren't a whiny punk, and you study hard, you'll be fine.

I am a little worried about the rotations, but I'll keep my fingers crossed they establish some new sites by 2015!

there you go you got it.

as for rotations highmark just purchased alleghany hospital in pittsburgh so hopefully we will end up going there since we partnered with them.

http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/2013/04/30/Highmark-forms-integrated-health-system

LECOM students were already doing rotations at AGH and West Penn on Forbes before, right? Are they increasing their rotation spots there?

actually yeah i might have said in my earlier post that hopefully we get to rotate there but i believe we did in the first place you are correct. Im hoping with the merger they will expand spots. highmark just donated 500k to the school for scholarships so we sord of partnered with them which i believe is why we got the boot from UPMC. so im HOPING that we get more spots there but i don't know if we will. it just offered some hope to me lol

actually yeah i might have said in my earlier post that hopefully we get to rotate there but i believe we did in the first place you are correct. Im hoping with the merger they will expand spots. highmark just donated 500k to the school for scholarships so we sord of partnered with them which i believe is why we got the boot from UPMC. so im HOPING that we get more spots there but i don't know if we will. it just offered some hope to me lol

Hey, we're all hoping :laugh:. I don't like surprises, but maybe I'll have to get used to it.

since we just partnered with highmark and they just bought AGH i am hoping a lot lol.

please please please do not think that we are the only school that gets rotation sites dropped. there are PLENTY of others. UPMC was just a big blow.

I know, its just like what you said. UPMC is kind of huge, especially for the people from Pittsburgh.

absolutely. im really thankful that I am not from there. a lot of my classmates had plans to go back and they are mighty pissed and have a right to be. We do have other hospitals there but unfortunately from what I hear they are no where near the quality. some may be but most arent. again this is just from what i hear as i have no plans of going there so i dont know much about it. if i was thinking of lecom and was from pittsburgh i would seriously do my homework if i wanted to go home for rotations. be very honest with the school. tell them straight up that this concerns you, and realize if you do attend that there is a very good chance you wont be able to go or recieve the same education if you do go to lecom. (dont be one of those students who attends and then complains all day long about it when you knew it going in), again this is something that could be up for change. Lecom should not allow this to happen regardless. Especially since hamot is IN erie. i think we just have to accept it. it is what it is....

Drexel students get first dibs at Allegheny. I doubt we'll get offered many more spots there, at least not for core rotations.

Drexel students get first dibs at Allegheny. I doubt we'll get offered many more spots there, at least not for core rotations.

that really sucks. i wonder they are going to do or if there is any hope whatsoever of getting those spots back. if not where are they going to redirect people. you cant send everyone to elmira

that really sucks. i wonder they are going to do or if there is any hope whatsoever of getting those spots back. if not where are they going to redirect people. you cant send everyone to elmira

That "Elmira" really caught my eye. Are we talking about Elmira, NY? I live very near Elmira!. Is Elmira one of the LECOM clinical rotation sites? I looked on the LECOM website and don't find a list of sites anywhere. I, for one, would love to do ALL my rotations in Elmira. Does anyone have a link to a list of rotation sites that they could post here, please. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's actually a place that LECOM tends to dump students against their will when they get dropped from rotations, so a lot of current students hate it there. I think it's going to be a 13 though, maybe even for class of 2015 starting rotations in June, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Yeah, it's actually a place that LECOM tends to dump students against their will when they get dropped from rotations, so a lot of current students hate it there. I think it's going to be a 13 though, maybe even for class of 2015 starting rotations in June, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Well, the City of Elmira can be a very dreary and depressed place, for sure. There's a lot to do in the surrounding areas, though. The Finger Lakes/Wine Country is all around. Ithaca is nearby as is Corning (one of the top art destinations in the U.S.). I've lived in the Corning area for many years myself. I don't make too many visits to Elmira, though, I must admit. But the proximity of Arnot to my home is perfect! LECOM can dump me there any time!!! Thanks for the information....very exciting (for me anyway).

you are correct it is now LECOM's BIGGEST 13 taking the most students

Hey guys. I'm withdrawing from lecom. I'm a PBL. Good luck to those wait listed. Hope you get my spot.

Last edited:
I just got awarded $57,000 in financial aid (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Ln & Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan). Do u guys think it's a good idea to accept all of it now and then accept lesser amount the following years as needed. I highly doubt I'd need $57,000 for two semesters; im thinking of keeping some extra money as contingency plan. What do u guys think?

Take the full award and be financially secure for the year. In the long run, reducing it by a few thousand dollars isn't going to save you that much on interest over the course of school and residency, and if your car breaks down or something else major, you'll be glad you have it.

Take the full award and be financially secure for the year. In the long run, reducing it by a few thousand dollars isn't going to save you that much on interest over the course of school and residency, and if your car breaks down or something else major, you'll be glad you have it.

thanks for the input, Slane. That's what im leaning towards as well.