Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why did they tell us at the interview that our campus ranking wasn't considered when being accepted? Or I guess the better question is - does anyone else remember being told this?

I asked that at my interview and they said your pathway choice has no bearing on your acceptance. They said you are either accepted or rejected AND THEN they put you in the first available spot based on what you ranked the pathways. Doesn't look like that is how it happens though.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I was accepted to Seton Hill back in January and decided to try and switch to LDP somewhere in April.

Has anyone heard of any movement on the waiting list? I have tried emailing LECOM to see if there has been any updates, but so far I haven't gotten a response.

I asked that at my interview and they said your pathway choice has no bearing on your acceptance. They said you are either accepted or rejected AND THEN they put you in the first available spot based on what you ranked the pathways. Doesn't look like that is how it happens though.

The pathway does not determine whether or not you get in, but availability at a specific campus can affect you getting in. So in this situation, your pathway doesn't matter if you choose DSP or LDP or Erie PBL, because all are Erie campus spots (so your getting accepted depends on Erie spots opening up), but in the case of Seton Hill, its a different campus and may have a different list of people on it.

Hey so I was accepted to Seton Hill back in January and decided to try and switch to LDP somewhere in April.

Has anyone heard of any movement on the waiting list? I have tried emailing LECOM to see if there has been any updates, but so far I haven't gotten a response.

WL movement has been very slow this year for most medical schools (MD and DO). You could try calling LECOM, but if you don't see posts on here about people getting in off of the waitlist, then chances are, big movement hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the orientation dates and start of classes?

Has there been anything sent about orientation, etc beside the matriculation packet?

Not that I've been given.. But I haven't been accepted. I just got an email with the matriculation packet and that's it.

Did everyone put deposit for housing? I just started looking into housing options that would be ideally within walkable distance to school.

For those of you who got accepted off the wait list.. Did they call, email, or send a letter? I'm just wondering what to be looking out for just in case! Fingers crossed..

For those of you who got accepted off the wait list.. Did they call, email, or send a letter? I'm just wondering what to be looking out for just in case! Fingers crossed..
I just was transfered to Erie LDP from seton hill today I was contacted by email. I also sent lime 8 emails to Jamie one to the general line and called by phone. Don't know if that helps.

They would consider you with a minimum of 24 in the MCAT - (23 if you did Lecom postbach and got over 3.0)
Well, I have a 3.5+ GPA (biology) and 26 on the MCAT, work in healthcare, and did not even get invited to an interview. They also have neither changed my status from "under review" nor informed me directly that the cycle has ended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email this morning with the matriculation packet for Seton Hill, say high possibility of being called off waitlist after July 1st. Do you think I have a pretty good shot at getting in? I have been looking at prior years to see if anyone got this notice and didn't get it. I am trying to make plans since I have a wife and four children.

Just got an email this morning with the matriculation packet for Seton Hill, say high possibility of being called off waitlist after July 1st. Do you think I have a pretty good shot at getting in? I have been looking at prior years to see if anyone got this notice and didn't get it. I am trying to make plans since I have a wife and four children.

If the emailed stated you have a high possibility of getting in I assume that means you have a good chance.... I'm sure you'll hear back in early July. Seems like the wait list movement is later this year. But if you look a couple posts up seems like they've sent that email with the packet to a few ppl. Good luck

If the emailed stated you have a high possibility of getting in I assume that means you have a good chance.... I'm sure you'll hear back in early July. Seems like the wait list movement is later this year. But if you look a couple posts up seems like they've sent that email with the packet to a few ppl. Good luck

Best of luck to ya'll. I couldn't "wait" anymore on the waitlist, and I was one of those that received that "high possibility" email. I know it's not quite as helpful as opening up a seat, but at least that puts everyone else one app closer to the top of the WL pile!

I would've loved to do the PBL gig because it fits my learning style, but I needed to finalize living arrangements at another school and don't have the money to put down a 2nd deposit.

HAHAHA ... I love SDN advertisements. I was googling "dinner recipes" earlier and now the SDN advertisements are for Le Cordon Bleu and other various culinary education programs. FML, Advertising!

Best of luck to ya'll. I couldn't "wait" anymore on the waitlist, and I was one of those that received that "high possibility" email. I know it's not quite as helpful as opening up a seat, but at least that puts everyone else one app closer to the top of the WL pile!

I would've loved to do the PBL gig because it fits my learning style, but I needed to finalize living arrangements at another school and don't have the money to put down a 2nd deposit.[/

What school are you gonna end up at then? I guess I don't understand why LECOM sends out these high possibility emails with the packet in them. But I'm glad you got in somewhere else and can get the ball rolling over there. Good luck to you man!

I would've loved to do the PBL gig because it fits my learning style, but I needed to finalize living arrangements at another school and don't have the money to put down a 2nd deposit.

I hear ya man!

Warm good-luck wishes.

What school are you gonna end up at then?

COMP-NW. I like their clinical ed program and it's MUCH closer to home for me, but it makes me want to barf when I think about $51,000/yr in just tuition. I might be making a several thousand dollar per month loan payment til I retire. I'm applying for Army HPSP now though. I can handle 4 years of suck to be debt free. :thumbup: Best of Luck All

I just noticed today that my admissions status on the portal changed from "alternate" to "admissions committee has made a decision on your application you will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days".. Do they send rejection letters if you are already on the wait list or should I assume it might be an acceptance letter? I just figured I would get an email or phone call if I was accepted.

I just noticed today that my admissions status on the portal changed from "alternate" to "admissions committee has made a decision on your application you will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days".. Do they send rejection letters if you are already on the wait list or should I assume it might be an acceptance letter? I just figured I would get an email or phone call if I was accepted.

That could be a very good sign! Hopefully you'll hear from them in a next few days. When did you interview?

My admissions status hasn't changed.

Do you mind if I ask what your MCAT and GPA are?

My admissions status hasn't changed.

Do you mind if I ask what your MCAT and GPA are?

GPA 3.8 and 25 MCAT.. My mcat was a bit weak but I had a few setbacks leading up to it and I didn't prepare long enough for it.

Highly unlikely that you'd get a rejection letter this early if you are on the waitlist. Most likely you'll be getting an acceptance very soon (within 1.5-2 wks of when your status changed). You already got the matriculation packet, right?

Highly unlikely that you'd get a rejection letter this early if you are on the waitlist. Most likely you'll be getting an acceptance very soon (within 1.5-2 wks of when your status changed). You already got the matriculation packet, right?

I hope that's the case. I got the packet a few weeks ago so I'm hoping its an acceptance but I don't want to get too excited yet.

I hope that's the case. I got the packet a few weeks ago so I'm hoping its an acceptance but I don't want to get too excited yet.
By now, things should start to move for the wait-list, especially for SH.

Hey Guys,
So I interviewed in Seton Hill early in the year yet my Committee letter was delayed till April and once the letter was received I was immediately informed that I was waitlisted. I am not sure what this means, but it definitely has had me worried. I have not received any of the packets you guys have mentioned so I guess not everybody gets them.
Good luck to everybody.

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me pick out a good area to live in. I'm going out to Erie this Wednesday to get an apt and wanted some insight on the better areas to pick. Someone I was talking to said something about the higher number streets are alright and the lower ones were a bit scetchier or it was the other way around i forgot :(. But any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Hey Guys,
So I interviewed in Seton Hill early in the year yet my Committee letter was delayed till April and once the letter was received I was immediately informed that I was waitlisted. I am not sure what this means, but it definitely has had me worried. I have not received any of the packets you guys have mentioned so I guess not everybody gets them.
Good luck to everybody.

All that means is that by the time the letter came in, their class was full, I doubt it means much more than that. Just keep updating them with your info, and hope for lots of WL movement (like there has been in the past).

Why did your committee take so long to get your letter out? It kind of shot you in the foot not sending one until April, practically the end of the cycle.

Two questions.
1. For those of you who have received the "strong possibility of acceptance" what date did yours say? And to which school?
2. For those who have been accepted from the waitlist so far, how were you notified?
Thanks!

Two questions.
1. For those of you who have received the "strong possibility of acceptance" what date did yours say? And to which school?
2. For those who have been accepted from the waitlist so far, how were you notified?
Thanks!

2. By mail (real mail - the snail variety, just in case you youngins thought I meant email)

Its my understanding that all acceptance/rejection info is relayed only by mail. At least that's what Jamie said at my interview so many months ago.

I don't understand how people are being accepted straight to Erie Pbl from the waitlist when the Pbl waitlist started for straight accepted students in February... Students who were then shuffled to ldp and told they were on a waitlist that apparently has no baring whatsoever... Yay for sitting in lecture for 8hrs a day...

I don't understand how people are being accepted straight to Erie Pbl from the waitlist when the Pbl waitlist started for straight accepted students in February... Students who were then shuffled to ldp and told they were on a waitlist that apparently has no baring whatsoever... Yay for sitting in lecture for 8hrs a day...
You are right! That's why I'm assuming that all those on the PBL waitlist have been accommodated. Are you on the pbl waitlist? Can others on the list comment?

Yeah, I agree and I can see how bad it is for ldp. Even in undergrad, I would die from attending a couple of those 50-min. lectures.

Last edited:
You are right! That's why I'm assuming that all those on the PBL waitlist have been accommodated. Are you on the pbl waitlist? Can others on the list comment?

Yeah, I agree and I can see how bad it is for ldp. Even in undergrad, I would die from attending a couple of those 50-min. lectures.
I have been on the list since being accepted in February...

Amy sent me an email back in April saying that she put my name on both the ldp Erie and pbl Seton Hill waitlist. I gladly accepted and have yet to hear the tiniest beep from the school. There has been no pre-matriculation paperwork sent to me either.

Therefore, I am preparing my application for the next cycle at the moment.
*sad violin playing the saddest song*

Amy sent me an email back in April saying that she put my name on both the ldp Erie and pbl Seton Hill waitlist. I gladly accepted and have yet to hear the tiniest beep from the school. There has been no pre-matriculation paperwork sent to me either.

Same thing happened to me. I was pretty pumped when she told me that but now that we're well into June I'm quite dubious of my chances to get off the list this year. I'm in LECOMs post bacc so that will keep me plenty occupied....20K later :)

Wait what? I didn't even know that LECOM has a post bacc!? o_O

Wait what? I didn't even know that LECOM has a post bacc!? o_O

Dude!! Yea! I think it's pretty solid. The curriculum is tough so I'm pumped that it will hopefully make my life slightly easier my first year of med school....assuming I get in at some point :(

Any incoming male 1st years at LECOM erie looking for housing, I have an available bedroom in a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath house about 1 mile from the school. Few stop signs and the stop light at the school away. Will be living with a 2nd year and most likely another 1st year. Everything is furnished except the bedroom including kitchen utensils. Finished basement, washer/dryer, 2 car garage, central AC/heat. 325 per month plus split utilities (gas, electric, cable/internet). I am a graduate and lived in the house my first 2 years. Message me for more info. Thanks

I am in the exact same boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the exact same boat. Depressing. Especially since MissDr2Be has pretty much my same stats and interviewed a week after me but got off the waitlist :( (Congrats btw). I wish I knew what method they were using for pulling off the waitlist. Looks like I'll be doing Postbac. See you guys there!

I would also apply for this cycle if I were you.

A buddy of mine, who is also on the wait list, just got accepted to Ross University. He will need to pay a seat deposit soon. My advice to him was to go ahead and reserve his seat at Ross to play it safe. What a dilemma!