Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That might be it. Did you check both portals?

I did and now one is not working at all...Jamie's voice mailbox is full too :( guess ill just wait

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got through to Lisa...got lost in the mail...great

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I'm waiting for an email for further instruction. I'm just wondering how it will effect where I stand on the list if they don't rank. Outta my control now....thankfully there's a nice cold beverage for these times eh

Ugh that is really annoying! At least you got a hold of them. I don't think when your letter reaches them matters at all. As long as they get a confirmation from you.

...thankfully there's a nice cold beverage for these times eh

I like your style. And the whole list process, if it's not ranked and is chronologically ordered, does that mean that those waitlisted in the say September are ahead of those waitlisted now?

I feel like there has to be more method to their madness. If you interview in Feb/March and are a for-sure acceptance, except there are no seats left at that time, it seems silly to put that person behind a mediocre applicant that interviewed months ago...

I don't think when your letter reaches them matters at all. As long as they get a confirmation from you.

Agreed. If they want you, I'm sure they'll work with you. That's gotta be frustrating for them to have nearly half of their acceptance offers declined.

I like your style. And the whole list process, if it's not ranked and is chronologically ordered, does that mean that those waitlisted in the say September are ahead of those waitlisted now?

I feel like there has to be more method to their madness. If you interview in Feb/March and are a for-sure acceptance, except there are no seats left at that time, it seems silly to put that person behind a mediocre applicant that interviewed months ago...

Yea I have to imagine that they do some type of ranking and just don't tell applicants. I think the list process would be so chaotic if they really didn't.

Interview tomorrow morning. The email says arrive at 8:00am and depart at 1:00pm. Does that mean everyone leaves at the same time?

Also any last minute tips?

Interview tomorrow morning. The email says arrive at 8:00am and depart at 1:00pm. Does that mean everyone leaves at the same time?

Also any last minute tips?

You should arrive at least 15 min early. Then everyone will leave sometime between 12-1:30pm. The interview process is only like 30-45 min, and occurs for everyone at the same time. So the group of say 24 applicants will be split into 4 groups of 6, and each group will be taken to a room with with two interviewers to do the group interview.

The process starts at 8am with a presentation from Jamie about the school, curriculum, area, etc, which last an hour to an hour and a half, then the interviews are done. Then after the interviews, all interviewees will come back together and get a presentation about financial aid. Then there will be a tour of the school. Then there will be lunch with current students, that could go until around 1pm. When you leave you can talk to Jamie or the admissions people to make sure your file is complete. That's the day.

Relax, be yourself, its really conversational and not stressful at all. Just make sure you know yourself, answer honestly, and SMILE!

You should arrive at least 15 min early. Then everyone will leave sometime between 12-1:30pm. The interview process is only like 30-45 min, and occurs for everyone at the same time. So the group of say 24 applicants will be split into 4 groups of 6, and each group will be taken to a room with with two interviewers to do the group interview.

The process starts at 8am with a presentation from Jamie about the school, curriculum, area, etc, which last an hour to an hour and a half, then the interviews are done. Then after the interviews, all interviewees will come back together and get a presentation about financial aid. Then there will be a tour of the school. Then there will be lunch with current students, that could go until around 1pm. When you leave you can talk to Jamie or the admissions people to make sure your file is complete. That's the day.

Relax, be yourself, its really conversational and not stressful at all. Just make sure you know yourself, answer honestly, and SMILE!

Cool. From my experience, when people say the interview is not stressful then it really is relaxed. Good to know that LECOM makes interview relaxing. I had to make sure on the time so that I can tell my hotel when I could check out. After all I want to go back and change before leaving.

As for talking to Jamie or other admission when you leave, what do you mean by complete file? I thought by the time I am interviewed, my files will be complete with my primary, secondary and the letter from a DO.

Cool. From my experience, when people say the interview is not stressful then it really is relaxed. Good to know that LECOM makes interview relaxing. I had to make sure on the time so that I can tell my hotel when I could check out. After all I want to go back and change before leaving.

As for talking to Jamie or other admission when you leave, what do you mean by complete file? I thought by the time I am interviewed, my files will be complete with my primary, secondary and the letter from a DO.

Some people didn't have their DO letters in, and so they either submitted it that day or soon afterwards. Its always good just to make sure they have all your letters. Obviously if you have all green checks in your portal, you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview was cake

What was the word on the street about the capacity of the class/pathways? Are they still directly accepting people or is it waitlist only at this point?

For anyone interested read the last 3 pages of last year's application thread. It sounds like a small group of people from the waitlist received an email about a "high probability of being accepted soon" and they received matriculation packets to get started on. But only some of the waitlisters received this. Sounds like it was the most recent interviewees (in Mar/Apr) with strong stats that would have been accepted had there currently been seats open.

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone could help me find the name of one of the doctors who interviewed me yesterday morning, on March 22nd. I wrote the names down, but for some reason, I cannot find the name of one of them in the directory, so I think I may have either misheard her or spelled it incorrectly. I was in a group being interviewed by Dr. John Wojtkielewicz and another woman, who I thought said her name was Dr. Sanford? If anyone here was in that interview and knows her name, I would be so grateful! And if not, does anyone think it would be bad form to call LECOM tomorrow and ask for her name again? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone could help me find the name of one of the doctors who interviewed me yesterday morning, on March 22nd. I wrote the names down, but for some reason, I cannot find the name of one of them in the directory, so I think I may have either misheard her or spelled it incorrectly. I was in a group being interviewed by Dr. John Wojtkielewicz and another woman, who I thought said her name was Dr. Sanford? If anyone here was in that interview and knows her name, I would be so grateful! And if not, does anyone think it would be bad form to call LECOM tomorrow and ask for her name again? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I wasn't at that interview, so I can't help you on the name, but I don't think it would be poor form to call them and ask. Obviously, if you get the name before Monday, you don't need to do that, but I don't really think its a big deal, and I'm sure people do it regularly.

Also, if you have the interview day schedule, it should have the names of the interviewers. My schedule for example shows 4 groups, A, B, C, and D with the interviewer names and credentials on the second page. If you still have that, you could check if their name is on it.

I am debating on whether or not to submit a late application here. I know it is super late in the cycle. Any thoughts on whether this might be worth the money? On the other hand waiting another year won't be fun either.

I am debating on whether or not to submit a late application here. I know it is super late in the cycle. Any thoughts on whether this might be worth the money? On the other hand waiting another year won't be fun either.

How much is it altogether? $100? $50 for primary (if you are only applying to one and you applied to at least one before) and $50 for secondary. Its crazy late, so it'll probably be a waste.

That being said, if you have the money to spare and have good stats, you might as well try it. If you don't apply you definitely won't get in, right? Who knows. I didn't think I'd get any interviews this cycle with my stats and applying late (secondaries in January), but I got 4.

I wasn't at that interview, so I can't help you on the name, but I don't think it would be poor form to call them and ask. Obviously, if you get the name before Monday, you don't need to do that, but I don't really think its a big deal, and I'm sure people do it regularly.

Also, if you have the interview day schedule, it should have the names of the interviewers. My schedule for example shows 4 groups, A, B, C, and D with the interviewer names and credentials on the second page. If you still have that, you could check if their name is on it.

Oh thanks so much for the advice! And yes, I did look at the interview panel with his name on it, but I'm fairly sure that the name paired with dr. Wojtkielewicz is not hers because it's a male name and also the degree listed after it isn't right-- she had a ph.d in pharmacology I believe and the name listed is a DO degree. I'll call tomorrow and find out, hopefully the person answering doesn't think it's poor form haha.

Yeah it's about 100 to apply.
my stats are
cGPA:3.89
SGpa: 3.86
MCAT 28O

Their website says the supplement is due April first, if I submit my application tomorrow and got my supplemental with in a day or two I could probably get this done by the deadline. I think I will call the admissions office in the morning and see what they think.

Yeah it's about 100 to apply.
my stats are
cGPA:3.89
SGpa: 3.86
MCAT 28O

Their website says the supplement is due April first, if I submit my application tomorrow and got my supplemental with in a day or two I could probably get this done by the deadline. I think I will call the admissions office in the morning and see what they think.

You have good stats, but you basically have a week for them to process it and send you a secondary. I would suggest trying to call them first. It took more than a week to get my supplemental, but who knows.

You have good stats, but you basically have a week for them to process it and send you a secondary. I would suggest trying to call them first. It took more than a week to get my supplemental, but who knows.

Agreed, you'd be very competitive however it will take longer than a week to process your primary. I think they normally have interviews into mid May and I'm sure those are almost filled. I was notified more than a month prior to my interview. But if you have the money to spend it will definitely not hurt. This is all speculation, so if you don't try you won't know

Can anyone tell me what my chances are at LECOM-E?

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

applying early this coming cycle

I think you'd have good chances at LECOM. You have good stats for most DO schools. Your MCAT is a little low, but its within 1 sd of average DO matriculants.

So I think I posted earlier about interviewing late and not having a DO letter...well now I was able to obtain a DO letter but I had to push my interview from the 3/21 to 4/12. Is interviewing in mid-April too late? I know anything is possible but given my stats I'm not sure if I should attend since it'll be an expensive trip. I'm at 3.1 (ug)/3.4ish (smp)/28...suprisingly, I've interviewed at a MD school but I doubt I'll make it past the first cuts. I'm tempted to just start over...focus on finishing my program strong, do a bit more DO shadowing and obtain a stronger LOR and apply way earlier.

Yay or nay?

-----
Also, would it be inappropriate to ask admissions if I'll be interviewing for a seat or a wait-list position? I had friend that was told the day of his interview that he was interviewing for a wait-list spot.

Did everyone here who plan to matriculate send in the required documents? I am little bit worried about not making it before the deadline.

Did everyone here who plan to matriculate send in the required documents? I am little bit worried about not making it before the deadline.

I would contact Jaime at admissions and explain your situation. I've heard from current students that they let some portions of the packet slide for awhile but its better to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

So I think I posted earlier about interviewing late and not having a DO letter...well now I was able to obtain a DO letter but I had to push my interview from the 3/21 to 4/12. Is interviewing in mid-April too late? I know anything is possible but given my stats I'm not sure if I should attend since it'll be an expensive trip. I'm at 3.1 (ug)/3.4ish (smp)/28...suprisingly, I've interviewed at a MD school but I doubt I'll make it past the first cuts. I'm tempted to just start over...focus on finishing my program strong, do a bit more DO shadowing and obtain a stronger LOR and apply way earlier.

Yay or nay?

-----
Also, would it be inappropriate to ask admissions if I'll be interviewing for a seat or a wait-list position? I had friend that was told the day of his interview that he was interviewing for a wait-list spot.

It seems most people who interviewed in February on have been waitlisted because the class is full so it's up to you if you want to take the chance of being waitlisted and maaaaybe get in, or just save your money and apply really early (so in like 2 months) for next year.

Yay or nay?

-----

You are interviewing for a waitlist spot whether you interview in March or April. Erie seems full, because as Chiefer mentioned everyone who has been interviewed recently for Erie has been wiatlisted. The last reported acceptance for Erie was in early February. If that prospect means you would rather wait and not spend the cost of the trip, you should probably do that.

All that being said, many people seemed to have success switching their preference to Seton Hill, and there have still been acceptances at Seton Hill, indicating that Seton Hill has spots. If you want to go to Seton Hill, its likely that you could be accepted outright there.

Timmaycakes is right. Contact Jamie as soon as possible. He said there was some leeway on the deadline (+/- a few days) at the interview, but you need to contact him as soon as possible.

Last edited:
You are interviewing for a waitlist spot whether you interview in March or April. Erie seems full, because as Chiefer mentioned everyone who has been interviewed recently for Erie has been wiatlisted. The last reported acceptance for Erie was in early February. If that prospect means you would rather wait and not spend the cost of the trip, you should probably do that.

All that being said, many people seemed to have success switching their preference to Seton Hill, and there have still been acceptances at Seton Hill, indicating that Seton Hill has spots. If you want to go to Seton Hill, its likely that you could be accepted outright there.

Timmaycakes is right. Contact Jamie as soon as possible. He said there was some leeway on the deadline (+/- a few days) at the interview, but you need to contact him as soon as possible.

I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone since being complete in November. I have left messages, emails, etc. Any good phone number?

I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone since being complete in November. I have left messages, emails, etc. Any good phone number?

Seriously. I've tried sending updates with no response and I've been complete since AUGUST. These people seriously need to hire another office member lol

I think this is a little late, but hope it can still be helpful anyways, wish saw the post earlier lol:

Dr. Sanford, Annette Marie

I was in the same group! And I think I can figure out who you are from your username ;)

Oh thanks so much for the advice! And yes, I did look at the interview panel with his name on it, but I'm fairly sure that the name paired with dr. Wojtkielewicz is not hers because it's a male name and also the degree listed after it isn't right-- she had a ph.d in pharmacology I believe and the name listed is a DO degree. I'll call tomorrow and find out, hopefully the person answering doesn't think it's poor form haha.

Accepted. :D Not trying to sound overconfident, but I had a good feeling after the group interview, so super happy about my acceptance, lol.

Anyways, I interview Friday 3/8 & acceptance letter Sat. 3/30. Really fast turn around! I gotten all my first choice as well, which is a bit of a surprised being so late in the process. Gotten my first choice of lecture route & accepted off the bat. I thought I was going to be waitlisted since ppl kept saying they were interviewing for a waitlist spot, lol.

Well, I'm just adding my 2cent to give the reminding interviewees and post-interview individuals hope that there are still spots available. :D

I have to decide by April 12th, so soon!

Accepted. :D Not trying to sound overconfident, but I had a good feeling after the group interview, so super happy about my acceptance, lol.

Anyways, I interview Friday 3/8 & acceptance letter Sat. 3/30. Really fast turn around! I gotten all my first choice as well, which is a bit of a surprised being so late in the process. Gotten my first choice of lecture route & accepted off the bat. I thought I was going to be waitlisted since ppl kept saying they were interviewing for a waitlist spot, lol.

Well, I'm just adding my 2cent to give the reminding interviewees and post-interview individuals hope that there are still spots available. :D

I just checked last year's thread and it seems like the same thing happened. Basically they filled their spots at the end of February, and then waitlisted anyone who interviewed around/after that time. Then when people withdrew near the end of March, rather than reevaluate the people they waitlisted when they were full, they just accepted people that were interviewing at the end of March/early April. They must be running a couple weeks earlier this cycle.

I guess those of us that were waitlisted had the bad luck of interviewing when they had sent out acceptances for all of their seats.

I have to decide by April 12th, so soon!

Those are the normal AACOMAS traffic guidelines. Acceptances through May 15th have 2 weeks to confirm a seat hold.

Damn it, your situation gave me less hope if anything. Congrats to you though

Withdrawing from LECOM. There goes my deposit :p It will always have a spot for being the first school to accept me.
I hope someone gets my spot!

If it makes you feel any better, according to last year's thread supposedly in the last couple cycles ~90% of people on the waitlists were eventually accepted into LECOM, but most were accepted in late May and June.

Is that for lecom Pa or Fl or both?

Do any current students in the LDP pathway care to share what an average day/week is like (how long you really are in class, testing schedules...)? Thanks.

Has anyone tried calling LECOM lately? I've tried to call multiple numbers and they're all coming back busy.

Yea I tried last week and was doing the same thing. I guess try email, but I have and didn't have any luck. Anyways I'll be moving out to Erie this summer as at least I got into the post bacc...hopefully get off the waitlist still (fingers crossed!)

Yea I tried last week and was doing the same thing. I guess try email, but I have and didn't have any luck. Anyways I'll be moving out to Erie this summer as at least I got into the post bacc...hopefully get off the waitlist still (fingers crossed!)

I finally got through in the afternoon, and left a voicemail. Jamie is usually good with emails, did you email him?

I'm hoping we all get off the waitlist. Based on previous year threads, it seems likely.

Does LECOM require all letters to be submitted prior to the interview? The website says my DO letter is still missing, but I know the physician who wrote mine sent it directly to Amy this morning.

Does LECOM require all letters to be submitted prior to the interview? The website says my DO letter is still missing, but I know the physician who wrote mine sent it directly to Amy this morning.

Generally, it is required to be submitted by the interview. A number of people at my interview day submitted a hard copy of their DO LOR directly to Mr. Murphy. On the day of the interview you can ask him or Amy to check and see if they received the letter. If not or it got lost, you can have it sent shortly thereafter. Just make sure it is in by the Tuesday after your interview as they review the admission files on Wednesday.

Hey guys!

I just got an interview today for May 3rd! First of all, does anybody have any tips or advice as this is my first interview? Also, If I only have a letter from an M.D. and not a D.O. is this a big deal to the admissions board? And one last thing... I am seeing that it is a good possibility that Erie is already full so should I express more interest in one of the other campuses?

Thanks,
Adam

Hey guys!

I just got an interview today for May 3rd! First of all does anybody have any tips or advice as this is my first interview? Also, If I only have a letter from an M.D. and not a D.O. is this a big deal to the admissions board? And one last thing... I am seeing that it is a good possibility that Erie is already full so should I express more interest in one of the other campuses?

Thanks,
Adam

For feedback on the interview, read this thread and the interview feedback section on SDN. Don't worry about the interview, its very laid back.

The DO letter is a requirement. You need it to be considered for a spot, and you need to submit it by your interview date, so I would get one as soon as possible. They will not review your file without it. It doesn't have to be amazing, but you have to have one.

That's really up to you. There are only two campuses, Erie and Seton Hill. Bradenton is a completely different application. Seton Hill only offers a PBL pathway, whereas Erie offers LDP, DSP, and PBL, so it really depends on which pathway you want. Even if you get waitlisted at Erie, based on previous threads, most of the waitlisted people received an acceptance in May and June.