Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks man. This whole process just sucks lol. But we're almost done...for those of you wait listed. Did you send that form back right away or are some of you going to wait to hear from other schools? Does anyone know how the wait list here works? I saw on last years thread that ppl thought they have no ranking system. Not sure if that's true.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I sent mine the next day, but that's because I really want to go to erie.

It's up to your own preference if you want to wait or not. Since I really want to get into erie, I sent mine straight away. If your iffy on your other schools, I personally say you should send it in as insurance.

If you feel like this is just a waste of time, don't bother sending it in, but hey, you got this far, why not go for the home stretch while your at it? xD

Here's hoping to massive shift in the wait list~! BTW I think there is a ranking, but how they decide it, is really up to them, so no point in worrying about it!

I sent mine the next day, but that's because I really want to go to erie.

It's up to your own preference if you want to wait or not. Since I really want to get into erie, I sent mine straight away. If your iffy on your other schools, I personally say you should send it in as insurance.

If you feel like this is just a waste of time, don't bother sending it in, but hey, you got this far, why not go for the home stretch while your at it? xD

Here's hoping to massive shift in the wait list~! BTW I think there is a ranking, but how they decide it, is really up to them, so no point in worrying about it!

Yeah, I sent in mine right away as well. I'm not accepted anywhere yet, and I've got more interviews still, so we'll see, but I'd love to go to LECOM.

As far as the waitlist goes, I'm sure they have a rank, but they will never tell you where you are on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that they do a "waitlist" and an "alternate" list.

Waitlist means you'll get a seat when other's acceptances are returned with a deposit. Alternate means you'll get a spot if they can't fill the class.

Basically, if they have 60 seats open and 60 acceptance offers out there, they will only see some of those returned with deposits in the 30 day window. This is how seats "open" up for the waitlisters to be offered acceptance.

I don't think they have a wait list and alternative. I think they call their wait list alternative. I could be wrong though.

I have not heard anything of their being a difference between wait list vs alternate but I'd like to know if there is/ if anyone has heard anything official from the admission's office. I was thinking about calling up there to ask some general questions about waitlist stuff but I'm sure it is unlikely I get a hold of anyone seeing as I'm sure they are being inundated with similar calls :/ if anyone does get through though, please post any info you find out! :D

I don't think they have a wait list and alternative. I think they call their wait list alternative. I could be wrong though.

Take it as you will, but mine is "waitlisted"

This time of year the number of open seats diminishes asymptotically if you will:

They offer 60 seats, but only 30 send in a deposit.
Then, they offer 30, but only 15 send in a deposit.
15 and 7 and so on.

They can NEVER have more accept letters out there than they have open seats. This is why they say they've "looked favorably on your application but the class is at capacity at this time."

haha i hope so I mean my letter said the whole favorably thing and waitlist but on my portal (since sending in the letter saying i would like to be on the waitlist) it says you are now an alternate or whatever

a couple days ago I posted an email verbatim, but decided that wasn't appropriate so I immediately edited it to say "oops." But it was from admissions saying that I would have been offered an acceptance when the committee met, had there been an open seat. Since they're at capacity with their out-standing acceptances, they can't offer more.

Just passing on how it was explained to me.

and this doesn't mean any of us will get in. It just means that we're first in line if other students decline acceptance

because, statistically, only a little over half of offers actually come back to LECOM with a deposit. So we cross our fingers and hope the other students offered acceptance just don't send in a deposit.

...and just to give everyone a timeline, I interviewed Feb 7th. The interview cohort the week before me received definitive accept/alternate/reject decisions within 2 weeks. It seems reasonable to believe that my interview cohort was the first to officially be "in limbo" because I didn't receive a letter until Mar 6th. A month later! That's why I emailed and received an explanation.

...and just to give everyone a timeline, I interviewed Feb 7th. The interview cohort the week before me received definitive accept/alternate/reject decisions within 2 weeks. It seems reasonable to believe that my interview cohort was the first to officially be "in limbo" because I didn't receive a letter until Mar 6th. A month later! That's why I emailed and received an explanation.

ok great thanks for your insight

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I agree that early feb is where they were "full". I'm wondering how many rejections they have given out. My group consisted of roughly 30 applicants and I believe there has been at least 4 interview dates since. So I assume there's at least 100+ ppl on the waitlist or alternative as of now.

This time of year the number of open seats diminishes asymptotically if you will:

15 and 7 and so on.

They can NEVER have more accept letters out there than they have open seats. This is why they say they've "looked favorably on your application but the class is at capacity at this time."

And thanks for clearing that up. I was looking at last years thread and they said it was the same but obviously not if yours explicitly said waitlist and not alternative

Hello all,

I was wondering what the best way to contact admissions is...

Amy Rowe--on our portal?

calling the school and getting transfered?

if there was a name on our letter? (i forgot/don't have it on me right now)

or anything else.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I was wondering what the best way to contact admissions is...

Amy Rowe--on our portal?

calling the school and getting transfered?

if there was a name on our letter? (i forgot/don't have it on me right now)

or anything else.

Thanks!

I think Amy Rowe was on the letter, but the only time I've been able to get through quickly has been from emailing Jamie Murphy.

15 and 7 and so on.

Hmm, just to make sure I understand what your saying.

Unless they specially used the words "wait list" on your letter, you are instead put into a different list called alternate, where if they can't fill up the seats they start adding people?

If so, that kind of makes me sad, since my letter said alternate :(

Hmm, just to make sure I understand what your saying.

Unless they specially used the words "wait list" on your letter, you are instead put into a different list called alternate, where if they can't fill up the seats they start adding people?

If so, that kind of makes me sad, since my letter said alternate :(
Keep in mind nobody knows anything for sure, so don't read too much into it. This is just wishful thinking/interpretation. I got the wait list letter, but I feel like it might be the same letter but worded differently. Both letters said that the class is full...
and everyone's portal says Alternate list, not wait list (right?)

Either way, theres no point in worrying about it, because we just don't know.

Hmm might try to call tomorrow just to ask then.

Worst thing they can tell me is "We can't disclose that kind of information" so might as well try.

I reached Amy Rowe two weeks ago by waiting 30 seconds on the line [operator put me through], I'll push my luck again and see if I hit the jackpot xD

I'll let you guys know of the results.

I am in the process of completing the matriculation packet. I already sent in the deposit but it says to complete all the paperwork by April 1st. I don't think I will complete it by then. I assume it is okay because they accept people much later than April 1st, just want to make sure I won't lose my spot.

Called Erie today.

They say alternate list is the same as wait list. Also said they know they used different words on different letters; that was mostly an oversight. Apparently multiple people are sending out the sheets so there was a bit of miscommunication on which worded sheets to send.

So for anyone who is worried about what others have been posting about two different lists, that is false =3

I also assume that the "alternative list" sheet is the newer one, but not sure. If anyone gets a letter saying they got "waitlisted" instead of the words "alternative list" from interview dates 2/21 onward, please post xD I'm going to laugh if they just used last year's sheets for the beginning half of the wait list.

Called Erie today.

They say alternate list is the same as wait list. Also said they know they used different words on different letters; that was mostly an oversight. Apparently multiple people are sending out the sheets so there was a bit of miscommunication on which worded sheets to send.

So for anyone who is worried about what others have been posting about two different lists, that is false =3

I also assume that the "alternative list" sheet is the newer one, but not sure. If anyone gets a letter saying they got "waitlisted" instead of the words "alternative list" from interview dates 2/21 onward, please post xD I'm going to laugh if they just used last year's sheets for the beginning half of the wait list.

Hi, thanks very much for the update. Did they say anything about the class being full? I'm just curious to know if everyone is going to get wait listed from here on out

Called Erie today.

Thanks man, that's what I thought. Good luck everyone! :xf: for Big Movement!

Last edited:
Called Erie today.

Thanks for calling and clearing that up man! Makes me feel a bit better.

Nah they didn't really say much about the class being full, they just told me what I asked for really.

But I expect at least SOME movement in april-june, since many people who apply to DOs also appy to MDs, and a lot of MD letters appear around that time. Also, people might want to go to a different DO school than LECOM erie, so there's always hope. I've looked up numerical data and someone has already posted in the thread about it, but they do accept a lot of people off the wait list.

Got an acceptance letter today (Seton Hill, though I interviewed at Erie). Interviewed on 2/22. It's still happening, people.

How long has it been taking most of you to receive a letter once the LECOM portal has stated that a decision has been made? I know it says the letter can take up to 30 days - but has this been a common experience?

Thanks!

Took me about 2 weeks. They did have fast turn around, 7-10 days, but now that they are wait listing it might be a bit longer.

Took me about 2 weeks. They did have fast turn around, 7-10 days, but now that they are wait listing it might be a bit longer.

Thanks N! Just got an acceptance to WVSOM and they have a hefty out of state deposit due in 2 weeks, but knowing that there is a lot of wait listing makes me think that I would have to end up putting that deposit down anyway.

Yea man I would get the deposit in if you have an acceptance...looking like LECOM is just wait listing right now, but then again anything can happen! Good luck!

has anyone contacted the school to see if they are giving out information on how they rank the waitlist/your individual standing? I called 2 x today with no answer but I did not leave a VM and instead emailed [email protected] so we shall see if I get any response :/

I tried mrs. Rowe yesterday still waiting for a response. I imagine they are getting bombarded with inquiries right now.

I interviewed on Feb 28th and my admissions status just changed on the LECOM portal. For the LECOM-Erie tab it says I should be getting an official letter within 10 days. However, for the LECOM-Seton Hill tab it says I should be getting an official letter within 30 days. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Also, for those of you who listed LECOM-Seton Hill as your first choice, were any of you accepted to both schools or accepted only to Seton Hill and then waitlisted/rejected at Erie? I am wondering because I listed Seton Hill as my number one choice but now I am thinking about seeing if I can make Erie (PBL or LDP) my top choice. Any info would be much appreciated.

I interviewed on Feb 28th and my admissions status just changed on the LECOM portal. For the LECOM-Erie tab it says I should be getting an official letter within 10 days. However, for the LECOM-Seton Hill tab it says I should be getting an official letter within 30 days. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Also, for those of you who listed LECOM-Seton Hill as your first choice, were any of you accepted to both schools or accepted only to Seton Hill and then waitlisted/rejected at Erie? I am wondering because I listed Seton Hill as my number one choice but now I am thinking about seeing if I can make Erie (PBL or LDP) my top choice. Any info would be much appreciated.

which site did you interview at? I interviewed at Erie but listed Seton Hill as my #2 choice. However, I have no "Seton Hill tab" on my portal

also, it says on my portal: You are listed as an alternate at Erie. But does not say anything about Seton Hill. hmmm..

As far as I know, you cannot be accepted to both Erie and Seton Hill. They are not different schools, just satellite campuses (unlike LECOM and LECOM-B). If you put Seton Hill as your top choice, you will be either accepted at Seton Hill, or in the event that there are no spots left (its usually one of the last to fill up), you will be accepted, waitlisted, or rejected from Erie.

Based on your status, you should just receive a single decision (probably from Seton Hill).

also, it says on my portal: You are listed as an alternate at Erie. But does not say anything about Seton Hill. hmmm..

Because you put Seton Hill as your second choice, you are basically in line for Erie spots. Obviously I'm not certain on this, but if going to Seton Hill will not make a big difference for you, you might want to call Jamie and see if its in your best interest to switch your preference. They said they don't look at your choice until the decision is made, but I think if you put Seton Hill as your top choice (and said you were interested in the Seton Hill campus on your secondary), you are more than likely in a different pile for Seton Hill seats, as opposed to Erie seats.

Its possible that you put Erie down on your secondary, and that's why you don't have a Seton Hill tab. Ultimately, I think they need a better way to deal with people in your position.

Last edited:
I emailed Ms. Bisbee asking her about if switching my preference to Seton Hill would be in my best interest--idk what she will say or if she can even tell me :/ But we will see.

Also, an earlier email to her and she told me the wait list was not ranked.

If the wait list is not ranked then how do they decide who gets in? Reeval everytime a spot opens up or first come first serve?

Thoughts?

I emailed Ms. Bisbee asking her about if switching my preference to Seton Hill would be in my best interest--idk what she will say or if she can even tell me :/ But we will see.

If the wait list is not ranked then how do they decide who gets in? Reeval everytime a spot opens up or first come first serve?

Thoughts?

I've been looking through prior threads pretty thoroughly and it seems like they have told applicants that for the past 3 years. I don't understand it either, I just can't believe a school doing it first come first serve.

Thoughts?

Yeah, its probably for the best. The worst she could tell you is no/she can't tell you. As far as the waitlist goes, it could be non-ranked, but they might review it periodically when there is a batch of seats open. A complete review would make the most sense to me, but if they nshalaby is right about it being first come, first serve, that's surprising. We must be high on it though, right? right? :xf:

I hope we're all high on that list man! I think feb interviewers were the first batch of wait listers

I was recently granted an interview at LECOM. However, after reading this thread I don't know what I will be interviewing for since all the spots are taken? Should I simply plan on re-applying early decision for the class 2018 cycle?

I feel my stats are so much lower than everyone else.

Last edited:
I was recently granted an interview at LECOM. However, after reading this thread I don't know what I will be interviewing for since all the spots are taken? Should I simply plan on re-applying early decision for the class 2018 cycle?

I feel my stats are so much lower than everyone else.

If they invited you for an interview they obviously like something about you! They have 6000+ applicants a year and only interview a small percentage of that so definitely go. It can't hurt and if you don't get in this year it's good interview experience for the next cycle. If you don't mind what are your current stats?

I interviewed on Feb 28th and was just notified that I have been accepted to Seton Hill. At this point you would prob be interviewing for a spot at Seton Hill or for a spot on the wait-list if Erie is your top choice.

I interviewed on Feb 28th and was just notified that I have been accepted to Seton Hill. At this point you would prob be interviewing for a spot at Seton Hill or for a spot on the wait-list if Erie is your top choice.

Congrats! What are your stats if you don't mind.

cgpa 3.14
sgpa 3.28

mcat 25P

BS Engineer 2.86 gpa (decent engineering program)
MS Cell Bio 3.74 (3 year program + master thesis)

patent, publication
3+ years work experience in biotech industries
a few awards
numerous shadowing experiences and volunteer work

LORs from several professors and doctors DOs and MDs

I know doesn't compete with the 3.9 31 mcats I see on SDN ><

cgpa 3.14
sgpa 3.28

mcat 25P

BS Engineer 2.86 gpa (decent engineering program)
MS Cell Bio 3.74 (3 year program + master thesis)

patent, publication
3+ years work experience in biotech industries
a few awards
numerous shadowing experiences and volunteer work

LORs from several professors and doctors DOs and MDs

I know doesn't compete with the 3.9 31 mcats I see on SDN ><

Definitely do the interview and try your best. You aren't a spectacular applicant, but you are in a good midrange spot. Plus you have a masters and you are a career changer, which can explain your low GPA. You already have the qualifications to be a matriculant, as demonstrated by your getting the interview (plus your stats are really not bad). Just go for it, even if you get waitlisted you might still get in and if not you can reapply with all of us without an acceptance in June and definitely get in somewhere.

Also don't compare yourself to SDN, things are skewed here. I saw people with similar stats to mine that were told not to even bother applying DO (your GPA is a fair amount higher than mine to give you an idea). I applied late and have had a total of 4 DO interviews, 2 waitlist decisions at schools that have lots of movement so far (waiting on the others) and even an MD interview.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I forgot to put something down that I shoudl have!

Apparently Jamie or Amy are on leave for a week [ the operator mumbled the name so I couldn't catch it =x]

So if you called or emailed one of them, you won't get a response most likely till monday. Real sorry for not mentioning this on my post on monday =x