Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My status for AACOMAS was changed to released last week on Thursday, but I didn't get a secondary from LECOM-B. :(

Does this mean I'm screened out already, or do they send secondaries in batches? Is it a bad sign if I don't get in the first batch?

They send secondaries out to everyone. Give it a little more time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Question for current medical students.

Would you say you get to spend time on Florida's beaches? I know this isn't relevant necessarily to the school but I like the idea of basically being able to go on vacation whenever you want.

My status for AACOMAS was changed to released last week on Thursday, but I didn't get a secondary from LECOM-B. :(

Does this mean I'm screened out already, or do they send secondaries in batches? Is it a bad sign if I don't get in the first batch?

Chill...:cool:... They just started sending them out. Expect one after the holiday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary 7/2. :cool:

Would you say you get to spend time on Florida's beaches? I know this isn't relevant necessarily to the school but I like the idea of basically being able to go on vacation whenever you want.

Siesta key is about 40 minutes away, south a few miles on the interstate and then west through sarasota. It's a white sand beach consistently ranked one of the top beaches in the country. Straight west from the school on SR 70 (or further north on SR 64) through Bradenton gets you to Anna Maria Island, which isn't as long or large a beach as Siesta, but also doesn't tend to be as crowded. Either way, you're half an hour to an hour away from the beach if you live near the school. You'll have plenty of time to go there, if you're motivated. I sat on the beach with a biochem review book a couple of times while studying for Step 1, and I'm not even much of a beach bum. My class also had a party at Siesta Key after our last anatomy exam.

So yeah, you'll have plenty of time to go to the beach, especially when once anatomy is done (in first year) and when you don't have an exam in the next few weeks. It all depends on what you want to do with your time.

I saw a while back someone asked about the anatomy situation, and the good/bad about pro-sected cadavers. I meant to respond but haven't gotten around to it until now. I'm satisfied with the way we did anatomy. I think it was intense, and at about the right level to build on.

I did a couple of dissection labs as an undergraduate, but nothing as intense as what most medical schools do. I had a group-mate who had gone through a post-bacc program that included an anatomy course with dissection, and she liked the way LECOM did it a lot better, that she felt dissection wasted a lot of time and wasn't always the best way to learn. (And this is a classmate who I believe still wants to go into pathology.)

One anatomy professor I talked to before going to med school mentioned that his med students go on "search-and-destroy" missions in their dissection labs. He'd give them a structure to find, and they would leave a path of distraction down to that structure.

The bad part of this is that you're missing out on one of the grand old traditions of medicine. You'll have attendings who will just shake their heads if you tell them you didn't have to go through the long hours in the cadaver lab all through first year like they did. Ditto the fact that you won't sit in front of microscopes looking at slides for histology, or for pathology. You'll look at pictures in a book or in power points from the lecturers.

On the other hand, I think you could argue that kind of thing is a huge time sink for what you get out of it. I don't think I'd be a smarter 4th year had I gone through these kind of lectures and labs in my first 2 years. Not that board exams are the be-all, end-all of education, but I also don't think they would have helped me do better on my step 1 exam.

However, I will say that I think problem-based learning is one of the hardest ways to learn material. You have to do a lot of work on your own, but at least you have the time to do it. If it suits your learning style, you'll be happy with your first 2 years. It worked pretty well for me.

The clinical years are more of a mixed bag, and I think it's important to acknowledge that up front. How good an experience you have can depend on where you're willing to go and how much moving around you're willing to do. Things can be better if you get a year-long 3rd year spot at an academic hospital (or, at least, at a hospital with residency programs). That's a subject for another day. In my case, 3rd year went pretty well, considering; a lot smoother than for some of my classmates, but also not without its rough patches.

However, clinical years are a long way away for you guys who are applying; the whole situation with clinicals may change before you get to that point so I don't know how much it's worth getting into it. Anyway, ask questions if you like... I probably won't get back to them in a hurry, but I'll try to get to them.

Siesta key is about 40 minutes away, south a few miles on the interstate and then west through sarasota. It's a white sand beach consistently ranked one of the top beaches in the country. Straight west from the school on SR 70 (or further north on SR 64) through Bradenton gets you to Anna Maria Island, which isn't as long or large a beach as Siesta, but also doesn't tend to be as crowded. Either way, you're half an hour to an hour away from the beach if you live near the school. You'll have plenty of time to go there, if you're motivated. I sat on the beach with a biochem review book a couple of times while studying for Step 1, and I'm not even much of a beach bum. My class also had a party at Siesta Key after our last anatomy exam.

So yeah, you'll have plenty of time to go to the beach, especially when once anatomy is done (in first year) and when you don't have an exam in the next few weeks. It all depends on what you want to do with your time.

I saw a while back someone asked about the anatomy situation, and the good/bad about pro-sected cadavers. I meant to respond but haven't gotten around to it until now. I'm satisfied with the way we did anatomy. I think it was intense, and at about the right level to build on.

I did a couple of dissection labs as an undergraduate, but nothing as intense as what most medical schools do. I had a group-mate who had gone through a post-bacc program that included an anatomy course with dissection, and she liked the way LECOM did it a lot better, that she felt dissection wasted a lot of time and wasn't always the best way to learn. (And this is a classmate who I believe still wants to go into pathology.)

One anatomy professor I talked to before going to med school mentioned that his med students go on "search-and-destroy" missions in their dissection labs. He'd give them a structure to find, and they would leave a path of distraction down to that structure.

The bad part of this is that you're missing out on one of the grand old traditions of medicine. You'll have attendings who will just shake their heads if you tell them you didn't have to go through the long hours in the cadaver lab all through first year like they did. Ditto the fact that you won't sit in front of microscopes looking at slides for histology, or for pathology. You'll look at pictures in a book or in power points from the lecturers.

On the other hand, I think you could argue that kind of thing is a huge time sink for what you get out of it. I don't think I'd be a smarter 4th year had I gone through these kind of lectures and labs in my first 2 years. Not that board exams are the be-all, end-all of education, but I also don't think they would have helped me do better on my step 1 exam.

However, I will say that I think problem-based learning is one of the hardest ways to learn material. You have to do a lot of work on your own, but at least you have the time to do it. If it suits your learning style, you'll be happy with your first 2 years. It worked pretty well for me.

The clinical years are more of a mixed bag, and I think it's important to acknowledge that up front. How good an experience you have can depend on where you're willing to go and how much moving around you're willing to do. Things can be better if you get a year-long 3rd year spot at an academic hospital (or, at least, at a hospital with residency programs). That's a subject for another day. In my case, 3rd year went pretty well, considering; a lot smoother than for some of my classmates, but also not without its rough patches.

However, clinical years are a long way away for you guys who are applying; the whole situation with clinicals may change before you get to that point so I don't know how much it's worth getting into it. Anyway, ask questions if you like... I probably won't get back to them in a hurry, but I'll try to get to them.

Just the right amount of beach time.... winning

So I applied to bradenton, not erie, and this morning I received an email from bradenton's email address saying my application is complete for LECOM - Erie. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

So I applied to bradenton, not erie, and this morning I received an email from bradenton's email address saying my application is complete for LECOM - Erie. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

Negative on that ghost rider.

Yes we do! I've studied on the beach many times. And not studied on the beach many times.

Still waiting on a secondary for this school but I get the feeling I won't be getting one. LECOM "seems" to select you for one school or the other and focuses your app that way. Just seems to be the vibe I am getting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a secondary for this school but I get the feeling I won't be getting one. LECOM "seems" to select you for one school or the other and focuses your app that way. Just seems to be the vibe I am getting.

Relax man, it's still REALLY freaking early. I am pretty sure everyone gets a secondary. While I did notice a lag in LECOM Bradenton and LECOM Erie sending me a secondary, I did receive both. (I waited for LECOM Erie to send me an email because I didn't want to jump the gun). I had roughly a week between receiving the two. I'm sure you'll get one buddy.

Relax man, it's still REALLY freaking early. I am pretty sure everyone gets a secondary. While I did notice a lag in LECOM Bradenton and LECOM Erie sending me a secondary, I did receive both. (I waited for LECOM Erie to send me an email because I didn't want to jump the gun). I had roughly a week between receiving the two. I'm sure you'll get one buddy.

Yeah, I received both of'em, too. And, yes, LECOM Erie lags with a week. No essays or anything is needed. That was the best part.:thumbup:

I just got it...secondary recieved....

still waiting........ I feel that the song "All by myself" by celine dion is playing in my background.

still waiting........ I feel that the song "All by myself" by celine dion is playing in my background.

Well we can listen to it together cuz you are def not all by yourself. lol.

Stillw waiting on the secondary. I received an email bout a week ago stating that my app was under review??? Starting to get really impatient

Primary released 7/13, secondary received today 7/17. Loving the efficiency.

I received this email this morning without getting an email for the secondary, does this mean I will get screened out?

Thank you for applying to the LECOM Erie College of Medicine. The Office of Admissions received your AACOMAS application. It is currently under review and we will contact you regarding the status of your application.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

What are my chances realistically if I have:

cGPA: 3.16
SGPA: 3.27
MCAT: 27P
Many extracurricular leadership roles and honor groups.
Shadowing both MD and DO for about 40 hours.

Would I considered competative here or at any DO school or should I go to a graduate school and have a great GPA there? I am a Chemistry major by the way.

Would I considered competative here or at any DO school or should I go to a graduate school and have a great GPA there? I am a Chemistry major by the way.

Better then over at Nova but still poor.

Got in with lower gpa and 28 mcat. So you have a shot.

Ugh, the application status messages for LECOM are so.... vague.

I just got an E-mail from Lecom that says they have processed my supplemental application.

Me too... but when I logged back onto the portal I can't check my status... under the admissions tab the only option is submit payment :-/ anyone else have this problem?

Me too... but when I logged back onto the portal I can't check my status... under the admissions tab the only option is submit payment :-/ anyone else have this problem?

Nope. My status says:

Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made.

So I guess I totally missed the behavioral sciences requirement. Is there anyway I can get around this (I've already graduated and can't take anymore classes) or is this automatic rejection?

So I guess I totally missed the behavioral sciences requirement. Is there anyway I can get around this (I've already graduated and can't take anymore classes) or is this automatic rejection?

There's always a way to take more classes. I would call admissions but chances are if you're accepted you'll have to fulfill the requirement before matriculation.

Take some psychology courses at your local college. Done.

I have a full time job and there's not community college around. I guess I'll just talk to admissions and maybe just cross the LECOMs off my list.

I have a full time job and there's not community college around. I guess I'll just talk to admissions and maybe just cross the LECOMs off my list.

Ton's of schools offer online classes and psychology is a pretty common one.

looks like I am going to have to hurry up and find a new DO LOR before these guys interview..... My last resort back out on me...

looks like I am going to have to hurry up and find a new DO LOR before these guys interview..... My last resort back out on me...

Why, what happened?? I don't think they're so strict about the "LOR before interview" policy. Last year when I went to the interview at Erie, they said if the LOR wasn't in yet but you were accepted, you'll be accepted pending letters. But then again, this is Bradenton, not sure how they function.

Why, what happened?? I don't think they're so strict about the "LOR before interview" policy. Last year when I went to the interview at Erie, they said if the LOR wasn't in yet but you were accepted, you'll be accepted pending letters. But then again, this is Bradenton, not sure how they function.

"If you are selected for an interview, LECOM will also require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician to complete your application. "

This is kind of vague but I think you're allowed to interview without one you just need one to matriculate. I could be wrong though, I'd call admissions.

He is just too busy right now and told me he may write it around the end of August. I am pretty sure one can interview there without the LORs but that is as far as you can get. I am just hoping I can find one in Mississippi.

You don't need any letters to be interviewed. At least that's how it was last year. However, since they are VERY quick about their decisions post interview, it would be in your best interest to either a) already have them in, or b) get them in ASAP after the interview.

Not sure about the distinction of "accepted pending," but I was accepted following receipt of my letters. So this could very well have been what happened in my case.