Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! My portal says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days," but i'm far too nervous to call right now :scared:
Mine says the same... Might call after the early morning wave of people in the same boat. Nervous now that I'm typing this...

Members don't see this ad.

Mine says the same... Might call after the early morning wave of people in the same boat. Nervous now that I'm typing this...

Haha good luck. Did you interview last week?
Yes you did (i just looked on the last page)

Last edited:
I had the same message and it meant a waitlist spot for me

Members don't see this ad :)
ridiculous, especially for a brand new school that has yet to prove its capabilities.

Brand new school?? Lecom-B opened in 2004.....its had a 100% pass rate on COMLEX more than once, I think the school's doing a great job proving itself....

Brand new school?? Lecom-B opened in 2004.....its had a 100% pass rate on COMLEX more than once, I think the school's doing a great job proving itself....

You read too fast. He was responding to me and my 3000 worth of deposits to Marian, not LECOM-B.

Well, here's hoping to a special phone call tomorrow! hah

You read too fast. He was responding to me and my 3000 worth of deposits to Marian, not LECOM-B.

Oh Wow haha...here I was thinking Marian was a new person in Administration lol! my apologies, got confused for a sec. Never heard of Marian the school. Anyways best of luck wherever you decide to go!

Oh Wow haha...here I was thinking Marian was a new person in Administration lol! my apologies, got confused for a sec. Never heard of Marian the school. Anyways best of luck wherever you decide to go!

Hahahaha no worries! It's a new DO school in Indianapolis.

Here's what my 1st yr. friend said when I emailed her about how she likes her Mac at Lecom:
"i have mcabook air and its the greateest computer ever! i definitely recommend macs... no problems at lecom either"
Again it's one of those things that Lecom doesn't recommend but at the same time plenty of ppl have them and have 0 problems. It's all up to you honestly. And about E-books, I have a friend in my PBL group who uses all Kindle books, as long as you don't have a Pbl facilitator who's strongly against it, it works, but you don't see much of it here.

LECOM OMSI here, as long as I'm taking an extended break from finals study, I figured I'd answer a few common things like this...

PC vs. Apple: All up to you. The school is around 50/50 Apple-to-PC and neither make a huge difference. There is no Apple product ban here, not sure where this gets started. We have an IT department willing to help you if there are connection issues. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a laptop over a tablet though, or a tablet that has a keyboard. You'll be doing a good bit of typing during PBL sessions, and even anatomy has parts where you'll be typing things a lecturer says.

Books or eBooks: BUY THE HARD COPY OF THE BOOKS. I'll say it again: BUY THE HARD COPY OF THE BOOKS. It didn't happen to me, but a very good OMSI friend of mine got screwed first semester when he got a PBL facilitator that was against computer use. Although that is few and far between, he was forced to buy copies of stuff he already had on Kindle. If you don't have references or books to look them up, it will hurt your PBL grade. Don't leave this up to chance.

Living areas: Unfortunately, the prices are going up slightly due to a surging housing market here in Lakewood Ranch/Bradenton. Currently, I have a 2/2 that is around 1,080 a month. Yacht Club, Colonial Grand, Carlton Arms (much older, but cheap) are all solid choices. Do your homework if you're looking at Lost Creek, the one closest to LECOM. It's got a lot of nice amenities, but I've heard a whole lot of bad things about everything else. Also, lock in leasing as soon as possible. After coming here for a few days, I set up a 2/2 at a great rate at the place of my choice, and I was able to find a roommate after. Don't wait on that. If you're not the apartment type, you can try the LECOM student sites as there's plenty of 3rd/4th years that will have open housing.

For those of you still on the waitlist - good luck and don't give up hope. Someone in my group first semester got in 2 days into the orientation week. She lived in the area and had been in constant contact with LECOM, but it can happen. And if it doesn't, keep working. Took me 3 application cycles to finally make it (2 MD years, 1 DO). Any other questions? I might be on later :)

Question about the dress code: Are women permitted to wear cropped dress pants or do they need to be full length? Also, it says strapless is not permitted, but how about sleeveless shirts?

Thanks for the help!

I talked to LECOM today and they grouped waitlisted students expecting spring semester grades into one group. I am not sure what that means. If any of you know why, please share. From what I can see, there hasn't been much movement. I got the impression that they want to objectively evaluate waitlisted candidates based on the new grades.

Question about the dress code: Are women permitted to wear cropped dress pants or do they need to be full length? Also, it says strapless is not permitted, but how about sleeveless shirts?

Thanks for the help!

The dress code says no capris, but a lot of us here do wear cropped dress pants without a problem at all. Also No strapless or spaghetti straps. You can wear thicker strap sleeveless tops though. A lot of people do push the envelope whether it's dresses that are a little short or tight and open toed shoes, etc. Try to keep it as professional as possible, but at the end of the day it's not as strict as it seems on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a phone call yesterday letting me know I am accepted off the waitlist! Do not lose hope for all you waitlisted people!!

Got a phone call yesterday letting me know I am accepted off the waitlist! Do not lose hope for all you waitlisted people!!

Nice! Congrats! Did you send anything to update your file at all? Also are you from FL?

Congrats. When did you get waitlisted? how many LOIs did you send in?

Nice! Congrats! Did you send anything to update your file at all? Also are you from FL?

Thanks! I did not have an update as far as grades go but I did send in a LOI. Yes I am from Tampa

I was WL in Feb, sent in one LOI, and got off the WL a few weeks ago. Good luck to those still waiting, I know how stressful it can be!

People accepted off the waitlist fairly recently, do you guys mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

Congrats to those recently accepted! Make sure to join the facebook group. A bunch of students are selling their books and other things on their right now.

Congrats to those recently accepted! Make sure to join the facebook group. A bunch of students are selling their books and other things on their right now.
Does it help to share where else you are waitlisted/accepted? I think I read that you did that. I am waitlisted at two other places and I wasn't sure if that could help expedite my evaluation.

Does it help to share where else you are waitlisted/accepted? I think I read that you did that. I am waitlisted at two other places and I wasn't sure if that could help expedite my evaluation.

I remember them saying that on my interview day about being accepted at other places - not sure about waitlist statuses though. I'm waitlisted at 4 places total so if that's the case maybe I should tell them that....lol

I don't know if it helps, but I certainly did tell them about my other acceptances. It's all part of showing them that you want to go there and when you have other acceptances already I think it is a little more meaningful. I probably wouldn't tell them about WL at other schools though.

Hey guys, anybody hear back from the waitlist recently? Feel like there hasn't been too much movement

Just withdrew my acceptance, someone should be getting some good news soon :thumbup:

Any one get off the waitlist recently? It seems like the movement has yet to pick up.

Just withdrew my acceptance, hopefully one of y'all will be getting a call soon!

If anyone out there left a deposit and has decided not to attend, please call Ron Shively so some of us on the wait list can class up!!!

If anyone out there left a deposit and has decided not to attend, please call Ron Shively so some of us on the wait list can class up!!!

That would be nice. I am waitlisted too. Orientation starts on July 26th and much of the waitlist is still stagnant. I called today and there has been little movement recently.

Could someone confirm the calendar dates for me for this academic year? I have July 26 as Orientation and July 29 as the first day of classes.

Could someone confirm the calendar dates for me for this academic year? I have July 26 as Orientation and July 29 as the first day of classes.

Pretty much. July 26th is Registration and classes start July 29th (which includes orientation). That is my understanding of it at least.

Hey Everyone, I really want to attend LECOM - Bradenton in 2014. At this time I'm still finishing up some science courses and planning on taking my MCAT in January. I should get my application in by February, since I believe LECOM accepts applications until April.

So my question is has anyone heard of getting accepting after applying that late? I'm sure if anything I would probably be on the waitlist even if I made it that far in the process...

Hey Everyone, I really want to attend LECOM - Bradenton in 2014. At this time I'm still finishing up some science courses and planning on taking my MCAT in January. I should get my application in by February, since I believe LECOM accepts applications until April.

So my question is has anyone heard of getting accepting after applying that late? I'm sure if anything I would probably be on the waitlist even if I made it that far in the process...

Sending your application in February would likely be a waste of money. After December it becomes pretty late in the app cycle and, unless you have a ridiculous MCAT and GPA, you probably wouldn't even get an interview. At that point in the cycle the applicants are fighting for the few remaining positions in the class and an earlier application will almost definitely get that slot. Just get your pre-reqs finished (try not to rush and do poorly) and apply next cycle.

**Also, wrong thread.

Sending your application in February would likely be a waste of money. After December it becomes pretty late in the app cycle and, unless you have a ridiculous MCAT and GPA, you probably wouldn't even get an interview. At that point in the cycle the applicants are fighting for the few remaining positions in the class and an earlier application will almost definitely get that slot. Just get your pre-reqs finished (try not to rush and do poorly) and apply next cycle.

**Also, wrong thread.
Sorry, new to the network, still figuring it out. But thanks for the feedback.

What was the consensus best hotel/travel option people with IIs decided on?

Is it easier to fly into tampa vs the sarasota/Bradenton airport?

The only benefit to flying into tampa would be if it's significantly cheaper, after adding any increased rental car fees.

What was the consensus best hotel/travel option people with IIs decided on?

Is it easier to fly into tampa vs the sarasota/Bradenton airport?

You're in the wrong thread year. There's a 2013-2014 thread that you should be posting in.

Anyway, I flew into sarasota and got a car from enterprise. It was all very easy and convenient. Apparently Tampa is about an hour away and a pain if you're going to get a cab.