Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea how a 3.76 / 25Q might stack up? I have volunteer experience in hospice, paid experience as a pharmacy technician, lots of other volunteer work, alternative spring break etc.

Not as good as if you were to retake that MCAT. Apply now and tell them you are going to retake. Then update them with the new score. With a gpa of a 3.76 and an MCAT in the 30s you have a good chance to get into a broader range of schools MD and DO. Broad is best as there are a ton of other factors in this game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not as good as if you were to retake that MCAT. Apply now and tell them you are going to retake. Then update them with the new score. With a gpa of a 3.76 and an MCAT in the 30s you have a good chance to get into a broader range of schools MD and DO. Broad is best as there are a ton of other factors in this game.

Don't hate the player...hate the game!

Wasn't implying anything lol. Just never heard it refered to as a game (good call) before and the first thing that popped into my head was that.

Yep... A lot like Risk except your future is on the line, so it is best to go after the countries you can handle being broad enough that you can get new armys but not so broad you thin out your lines trying to win a land war in Asia.:D

Yep... A lot like Risk except your future is on the line, so it is best to go after the countries you can handle being broad enough that you can get new armys but not so broad you thin out your lines trying to win a land war in Asia.:D

Risk is one of my favorite games! I even downloaded it on xbox live lol

Risk is one of my favorite games! I even downloaded it on xbox live lol

To play on such a device is sacrilege... She must be played with a fist full of dice or not at all.... :laugh: ... some times I like to play while reading Machiavelli to get in the mood first...

Last edited:
Make pact with a guy in Australia so he gets a few guys every turn for having a continent. Take China and work up to Kamchatka. Dump a bunch of guys there and head West to protect from Europe and Africa. If one plays with trains or air drops then taking and keeping asia gets easier but it has its own monsters. I don't play with anyone unless they roll in the box. WAAAAAAY too many times have the rolls destroyed the way the board was set up.

Does LECOM have a past of waiving their fees if students receive a waiver from AACOMAS?

Make pact with a guy in Australia so he gets a few guys every turn for having a continent. Take China and work up to Kamchatka. Dump a bunch of guys there and head West to protect from Europe and Africa. If one plays with trains or air drops then taking and keeping asia gets easier but it has its own monsters. I don't play with anyone unless they roll in the box. WAAAAAAY too many times have the rolls destroyed the way the board was set up.

Does LECOM have a past of waiving their fees if students receive a waiver from AACOMAS?

Not according to their page in the AACOM book:
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2013cib/2013cib-LECOM.pdf

I saw that but didn't know if the policies extended to Bradenton as well.

Thanks for the link.

I saw that but didn't know if the policies extended to Bradenton as well.

Thanks for the link.

That was the page for the Bradenton campus so I'm assuming it's correct. However, it never hurts to call and ask when it comes to fee waivers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea how a 3.76 / 25Q might stack up? I have volunteer experience in hospice, paid experience as a pharmacy technician, lots of other volunteer work, alternative spring break etc.

If I'm not mistaken lecom-b has a low average mcat, I think they weigh ec's a lot more than the mcat. I have a 34 but didn't even get an interview last year. Retaking the mcat wouldn't hurt, especially if you have a low section score... An 8-8-9 is a lot better than a 5-10-10

If I'm not mistaken lecom-b has a low average mcat, I think they weigh ec's a lot more than the mcat. I have a 34 but didn't even get an interview last year. Retaking the mcat wouldn't hurt, especially if you have a low section score... An 8-8-9 is a lot better than a 5-10-10

Yeah that MCAT needs more balance.

I am interested in LECOM B. I plan on sending my application off soon. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?

I am interested in LECOM B. I plan on sending my application off soon. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?

It will be pretty difficult with a 23 MCAT. Are you planning on retaking?

The answer to that is not likely.... 23 MCAT is not a good score. Retake it.

I am on July 6th. I am hoping to get it up to around a 27 at least. Been doing the Kaplan Course so I hope it helps.

I am on July 6th. I am hoping to get it up to around a 27 at least. Been doing the Kaplan Course so I hope it helps.

Just a heads up someone asked LECOM about having low scores and was told that if the score is less than 25 and they plan to retake that they will wait for the new score.

I know you're taking it July 6th but maybe take a look at Examkrackers (EK) Verbal, depending on if that's a weakness of yours right now. I'm not a fan of Kaplan's Verbal prep, but as with any prep course it has a lot to do with personal preferences of learning.

so i hear Florida's pretty nice this time of year...

Ha.... Tropical storms are pretty bad this year and the Humidity is off the chart... Florida is nice right before the summer and right after it. Winter in South Florida is quite nice but it can get very windy. But if you like the hot sticky weather it is perfect plus Florida is the golf capital of the world, you can't drive 5 mins without going past a golf course of some kind.

Florida is nice year round :D I was born and raised here, and the only thing I hate about it is the summers. The weather forecast always shows a 40-50% chance of rain, and it literally will be sunny at 12 and then raining at 1. Anyone who lives here, especially in central and south FL, knows exactly what I am talking about.

Florida is nice year round :D I was born and raised here, and the only thing I hate about it is the summers. The weather forecast always shows a 40-50% chance of rain, and it literally will be sunny at 12 and then raining at 1. Anyone who lives here, especially in central and south FL, knows exactly what I am talking about.
I'm living in north-west Florida and I approve this message :)

yea I did my undergrad in Pensacola, i just remember the awesome beaches and the surprise thunder storms. I want to do my residency in Miami. This is my top school so far, we shall c.

Is the LOR thing the same for this campus as well, "don't send LOR until interview invite"? thanks

Happens up here too in Northeast Florida

yea I did my undergrad in Pensacola, i just remember the awesome beaches and the surprise thunder storms. I want to do my residency in Miami. This is my top school so far, we shall c.

Is the LOR thing the same for this campus as well, "don't send LOR until interview invite"? thanks

As far as I know it is.

Pensacola is my hometown btw.. I hate it there, but it is where I spent the better part of my life thus far.

Applying here. Not going to lie, it's pretty high on my list. Haven't submitted my Primary yet as I'm polishing up my personal statement and waiting for my next paycheck to submit. Underdogs unite.

Applying here. Not going to lie, it's pretty high on my list. Haven't submitted my Primary yet as I'm polishing up my personal statement and waiting for my next paycheck to submit. Underdogs unite.

any reason why? This school is in the middle for me

How do you guys feel about LECOM-B students not doing their own cadaver dissections? This concerns me a bit, although it does save time.

How do you guys feel about LECOM-B students not doing their own cadaver dissections? This concerns me a bit, although it does save time.
Many schools go with digital dissections or pre-dissected cadavers. Shouldn't be big problem.

any reason why? This school is in the middle for me

A couple of reasons. I'm in the Gulf and would prefer to stay in the gulf. PBL seems to really click with me, and I feel it is my best learning environment (I've taken two PBLish classes at my undergrad and I felt that I absorbed the information exponentially better. Looking into this more). My family vacationed in the Bradenton area while I was growing up, and I really LOVE the area. I'm from a pretty quiet place, so while I'd be enthralled to go to NSU, I feel the area would be a bit distracting for me.

Also, cheaper tuition is nice. I will say though, that I'm interested in rural medicine/family practice so it's not all that hard to find a loan forgiveness program.

A couple of reasons. I'm in the Gulf and would prefer to stay in the gulf. PBL seems to really click with me, and I feel it is my best learning environment (I've taken two PBLish classes at my undergrad and I felt that I absorbed the information exponentially better. Looking into this more). My family vacationed in the Bradenton area while I was growing up, and I really LOVE the area. I'm from a pretty quiet place, so while I'd be enthralled to go to NSU, I feel the area would be a bit distracting for me.

Also, cheaper tuition is nice. I will say though, that I'm interested in rural medicine/family practice so it's not all that hard to find a loan forgiveness program.
Do you have any ideas where the 3rd & 4th year clinical rotations are taken? Do you have to find and schedule them yourselves?

Cool beans... All good reasons...

Anyone know when the first batch of interview invites come out? and do they email the invite, or do you have to constantly check the Portal Website?

You will get an email about an interview, possibly a phone call. I loved Bradenton, it was my #3 school... The area is to die for!

Happy to hear I won't have to pre-write the secondary here.

My status for AACOMAS was changed to released last week on Thursday, but I didn't get a secondary from LECOM-B. :(

Does this mean I'm screened out already, or do they send secondaries in batches? Is it a bad sign if I don't get in the first batch?