KCUMB Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone selected a health insurance plan yet? does anyone have any information or feedback or recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone selected a health insurance plan yet? does anyone have any information or feedback or recommendations?

Some people can stay on their parents health plans since most will cover you until you're 25th birthday. If you've missed that boat or want you own, there will be a presentation/ bunch of tables during orientation. They recommend you get one then due to special student prices (or so they told me).

Anybody got their matriculation packet or scrubs yet??

As far as insurance - I found out the hard way that you can actually extend your parents' plans with something and pay for it yourself for a certain amount of time even past your 25th birthday. If you are completely on your own, you will have to make certain decisions. First off, will you want optic (your eyes may get worse with all the reading and having to see things from far back in the room)? Will you want dental? Or just the health part? Then, how much are you willing to pay for deductible? It's cheaper by the month for the higher deductibles, but will you be able to pay that amount if you have an unfortunate accident/illness? Or, do you want a lower deductible that you will likely meet with even just your yearly doctoring events and not have to worry about the extra expenses beyond that?

Don't forget to read the fine print either. I got a plan I fully regret getting. Pay attention to the maximums and ask questions about maximum out patient benefits and maximum inpatient benefits and maximum prescription coverage. I thought I was healthy enough that I would never max out on anything and never paid attention. One unfortunate thing happened (one which does not go away ever), I maxed out within the first month for out-pt and within 3 mos for prescription. I now can't wait for residency just so that I get better insurance coverage (because no insurance company will take me now and I am stuck with the current plan).

If you want any info about the plan I got - PM me for more details. It was a great plan though prior to getting sick - depends on the gamble you want to take (I definitely didn't plan on getting something like I did - my predictions of my health were wrong ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send scrubs with the matriculation packet? BA. I will wear those when I am lounging in my apartment.

When can we expect our financial 'award' (lol, debt) letters to be sent? Kinda need to know that info before I sign a lease.

Do they send scrubs with the matriculation packet? BA. I will wear those when I am lounging in my apartment.

Send you scrubs? No, unless things have changed since my time. You need to purchase your own.

Ah. Is there a supply store or website that one can order those?

Ah. Is there a supply store or website that one can order those?

Any healthcare or uniform supply company... However, one online store I have used a lot in the past is www.allheart.com. If I remember correctly, you need solid-colored scrubs; they don't like the patterned ones.

Has anyone received their award email yet? I'd like to have this information pretty soon.

Any healthcare or uniform supply company... However, one online store I have used a lot in the past is www.allheart.com. If I remember correctly, you need solid-colored scrubs; they don't like the patterned ones.

Any advice on which brand of scrubs I should go with? The website you suggested has multiple brands and styles. Are there some that are more comfortable than others?

What are the computer specs for KCUMB?

Thought Id post something interesting here for the C/O 2013.

You are required by the end of your second year to observe an autopsy. Normally, youll be sitting in class and Dr. Friedlander will come in and announce that one is available and the first 2 students who opt to go, get to go. Most of the autopsies that you will observe are done in Topeka with the medical examiner there. However, I recommend waiting for the chance to do one with Dr. Friedlander (KCUMBs renowned pathologist) because you get to participate and perform the autopsy with him which makes for a great learning experience, plus its quality entertainment with ERF. :thumbup:

Congrats on getting in. Its a wild ride :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the autopsy was a good experience. I did learn a lot from it. Do it with ERF if you can, because he'll get you hands-on involved. If you are going to do an experience like that and want to make it worth your while, then get hands-on. Truthfully, I think the two most influential and educational experiences I've had in my two years on campus were the autopsy and score 1.

As for actually learning the pathology you need for Step 1, I recommend reading Rapid Review Pathology, by Dr. Goljan. If you can find his bootleg audio, even better. Start early, folks (during 1st year). Don't do what I did and wait until board review time to actually learn pathology.

So just got my matriculation packet! w00t! At least we finally get some information now.

So question:

NiCad Handle vs. Lithium-Ion Handle

which is better? My 'big sister' told me that the lithium one is lighter but she didn't say anything about the battery life or whether its worth the extra money or not.

Also i know nothing about whether the panoptic with blue filter is worth it or not. Don't the hospitals we work at provide us with these? Other than for practice do we actually use this equipment? As far as i know we quit doing house calls so why would a med bag be needed?

any insight?

So just got my matriculation packet! w00t! At least we finally get some information now.

So question:

which is better? My 'big sister' told me that the lithium one is lighter but she didn't say anything about the battery life or whether its worth the extra money or not.

Also i know nothing about whether the panoptic with blue filter is worth it or not. Don't the hospitals we work at provide us with these? Other than for practice do we actually use this equipment? As far as i know we quit doing house calls so why would a med bag be needed?

any insight?

Last year, I used it once in lab, and then in a Clinical Skills practical both right before christmas break during cardiopulm... Other than that, it will collect dust during your first year. :rolleyes:

So question:

any insight?

Wait until the last possible minute on everything but the stethoscope... it was the only thing we used more than once last year.

So question:

any insight?

The NiCad handle will also take regular C batteries. You can carry the C's in your bag and swap them in if the NiCad dies.

Hey guys! Congrats on getting in!

I am in the class of 2012 and am looking for one more roommate. I will be living with a girl from 2013 but we have one more room open. It is a three bedroom 2 and 1/2 bath house five miles from school and right by the Plaza. Rent is $425 a month and utilities run about $100 a month. Please let me know if you want more info!

[email protected]

Congrats again!
Katie

So question:

any insight?

I was also wondering about which handles to get. I didn't know if the Lithium would be worth it in the long run...:confused:

I was thinking about getting the bag just to have something to carry all the stuff in plus books and notes and school things, but am undecided on that right now.

I was thinking about waiting on the Panoptic for now, just because it's so expensive and if we're not going to use it a lot, then I'll do with out right now.

So question:

any insight?

I should be studying for boards, but I'll try to answer, since I'm not at the moment occupied:

Li vs. NiCad: Is it that big of a price difference? If not, then get the Li battery, because it saves you from having to recharge it as much. I don't know how many times, I forgot to charge mine and it was fine because of the better battery.

Panoptic vs. regular head: I like the regular head better than the panoptic, which I still to this day have problems using. You are supposed to train on the panoptic and it is better (if used correctly), but honestly, if you are price-conscious, the regular head works just fine. I used the regular head of the ophthalmoscope for all my score 1 physicals and also for all of my IOCS exams. I never developed a taste for the panoptic. You should not be like me, though, and actually try to learn how to use the panoptic, because word is that the COMLEX PE is going to have it.

You don't use your equipment too much during your first year, so pretty much it's all a scam. I'm not sure if it's required or not, but it sure seemed like they wanted us to have all of the equipment on the list. I think the basic tools you need to have on person are your reflex hammer, stethoscope and pen light, for real life and for CCC type events (standardized patients). The clinics and hospitals should have all of the other tools, such as ophthalmoscope, otoscope, BP cuffs, on the wall for you to use, if you need to use it.

You use your equipment a lot more during second year for all of the score 1 sessions, IOCS labs/practicals, and STD patient interviews (mainly stethoscope and reflex hammer for STD pt interviews). I did more physicals than I can remember at score 1 (somehow I managed to get assigned to do physicals for all 6 score 1 sessions) and I used my ophthalmoscope and otoscope quite regularly, in addition to my stethoscope and reflex hammer. During a few IOCS practicals and labs, they wanted us to bring all of our equipment. I'm thinking, if you don't want to make the big investment, it's probably possible to share as long as the person you are sharing with isn't going to be in the same lab or score 1 session as you and you can work out the logistics. However, after your first two years, unless you are going to be making house calls or in some really rural area, you probably won't need your ophthalmoscope, otoscope, or BP cuffs.

Well, I'm not sure this helps... back to studying.

Last edited:
One more addition - yes, you may never need the equipment again, but I've seen some attendings (like neurologists) use their own equipment in the office because it's not on the walls.

Also, if you find all the things you need without the kit, do it. Get the better stethoscope that is longer. I felt like I had a play stethoscope and it was so short I felt like I was hugging all my patients.

This year all the stethoscopes are 27". The only choices on that are in color...

And the NiCad is $755 and the lithium is $844.

and maybe i'm just stupid, but i don't see a pen light on the list.

Stethoscope, Otoscope, tuning fork, measuring tape, reflex hammer, goniometer, eye chart, Ophthalmoscope...

They actually never do say if this stuff is required or not. they just say "pick one" that makes me wonder.... could i get this stuff cheaper? Meh, maybe its not worth it.

This year all the stethoscopes are 27". The only choices on that are in color...

Stethoscope, Otoscope, tuning fork, measuring tape, reflex hammer, goniometer, eye chart, Ophthalmoscope...

They actually never do say if this stuff is required or not. they just say "pick one" that makes me wonder.... could i get this stuff cheaper? Meh, maybe its not worth it.

We didn't use a pen light? I think I saw one guy with a PKE meter and a tricorder, though... :D

Seriously, the stethoscope is the biggest thing. You can piece everything else from eBay at a cheaper price later. It's what I did. Even the pan optic wasn't necessary, as I got away with a traditional otoscope/ophthalmoscope that I received as a gift.

I was not a fan of the packaged steth. I couldn't hear crap out of it and I had prior experience using a steth. Also it was freaking short. I felt like my face was uncomfortably close to my pts. I would forgo the packaged steth if possible and get yourself a nice Littman steth. If you are forced to buy it, then sell it; that's what I did.

Well, its probably worth it to get the Li handle, if you must buy a set. As I mentioned before, having the better battery saved me a few times during 2nd year when I had like 20 kids to screen, but forgot to charge it overnight.

If you aren't required to buy a set, you can check online to see if you can find a cheaper deal you don't need the highest quality set. Pretty much any functional basic set will do the trick. Find out if you need to buy a set.

Overall, though, the set that kcumb offers is a very high quality kit with all the bells and whistles and a lifetime guarantee for a pretty good price. If you don't want to make the ivestment, and aren't required to buy a kit, then its quite possible to get buy with sharing especially during your 1st year.

I don't believe the kit comes with it, but I can't tell you how often I used it on score 1 physicals. There's no need to buy it when you can get a few pen lights for FREE during hospital day. If you don't want to buy a kit, then at least get a good stethoscope and reflex hammer. Pen light can be procured during hospital day.

Worth investigating.

If you don't own a pen light, the otoscope light works just fine. I find it easier to use that if I'm already checking the ears and nose.

I still have a house in KC that is just finished getting renovated. If you know anyone that is interested to rent or buy let me know. I graduated KCUMB in 2007 and know the area pretty well. I know how much the school is squeezing the money out of you, so I will work with you. The house is less than 10 minutes from school and served us very well. It is bigger than most of you will need but it is a cool house.

I have pictures and can put you in contact with my neighbors, who have the keys. It is a 3BR/1BR but about 1800 square feet with hardwoods and tile. Bedrooms are berber carpet. I did all the renovations summer after 2nd year, you will know what I mean, after boards you will be bored too. I need to rent it out for 650 a month. Appliances are included (kitchen and washer/dryer). We lived there and never had any problems with the neighborhood, but it isn't white bread Johnson county if that is what you are after. The next door neighbor is the maintainer/agent.

I am @ jbremer at g mail dot com, I don't have the pictures on line but I can email them.

Try to save your money on all the stuff they make you buy. Every dollar that you spend on this stuff you will pay back $2, and you really don't use them much. You will never use anything but your stethescope on rotations and afterward.

Get board review stuff early and use it periodically, so much of what you are taught will NOT help you on the boards and you need to know what is low-hanging fruit. I used the Rapid Review series (you have to order it), it had CDs with questions and was very high yield. I was not a distinguished grad but would out my USMLE scores against anyone in the class.

Take the USMLE, for the 2/3 of you who will go ACGME, it will open doors.

If you know pathology you will do much better on the USMLE, ERF's website is tremendous, I still refer to it.

Thats my whole soapbox, would be happy to give you more info, just don't have much time to get on here.

hey i am putting together a budget and was wondering if anyone knew the average price for utilities in a small 2 bedroom unit in ct.

hey i am putting together a budget and was wondering if anyone knew the average price for utilities in a small 2 bedroom unit in ct.

Mine was never over $30, usually around $15 a month. However, there were people with one bedrooms with $100 bills. Depends on the side of the building and the amount of hot sun you get I think.

Try to save your money on all the stuff they make you buy. Every dollar that you spend on this stuff you will pay back $2, and you really don't use them much. You will never use anything but your stethescope on rotations and afterward.

Get board review stuff early and use it periodically, so much of what you are taught will NOT help you on the boards and you need to know what is low-hanging fruit. I used the Rapid Review series (you have to order it), it had CDs with questions and was very high yield. I was not a distinguished grad but would out my USMLE scores against anyone in the class.

Take the USMLE, for the 2/3 of you who will go ACGME, it will open doors.

If you know pathology you will do much better on the USMLE, ERF's website is tremendous, I still refer to it.

Thats my whole soapbox, would be happy to give you more info, just don't have much time to get on here.

I agree. Good advice.

Hey guys! I'll be joining you next month in the Class of 2013. I've been reading this and other threads about possible living arrangements. A lot of people recommend Walnut Creek, but according to online ratings sites, many people were dissatisfied with that complex, citing roaches, thin walls, fights in the parking lot, etc.

Can someone who lives there please give me a review? PM if you like. Thanks!

Also, how's the Riverside area? Does anyone on this thread live there?

Hey guys! I'll be joining you next month in the Class of 2013. I've been reading this and other threads about possible living arrangements. A lot of people recommend Walnut Creek, but according to online ratings sites, many people were dissatisfied with that complex, citing roaches, thin walls, fights in the parking lot, etc.

Can someone who lives there please give me a review? PM if you like. Thanks!

Also, how's the Riverside area? Does anyone on this thread live there?

Definitely go look. KC is one of those cities that you will have a great neighborhood one block and the next block you wouldn't want to set foot in (and yes, that fast of a contrast sometimes too). I know people who lived in Walnut Creek a few years ago moved out because they started having break-ins. I don't know if that part has changed since then. It was something new when they were living there, so it may have just been a bad year and things are now fixed. Never heard about roaches. I know the walls aren't super thick, but I don't think they were any thinner than most other apt complexes, but I would get another opinion on that one. Riverside is one of those hit or miss areas if I remember right. If it sounds super cheap, there is probably a reason for that. Good luck with everything!

I remember how I felt a year ago when I was in your shoes, thinking of what its going to be like, some days it felt like I was 90% excited..10 % scared, and the next it was vice versa. I remember a post by Spiced (look it up) that seemed to help out that gave advice for med school in general and more specific to KCUMB. So take it with a grain of salt, but I felt like I could-should pass along some advice.

Tip # 1 to quote " DO NOT GET BEHIND", even if the day is light in volume of material, use this to your advantage and try to get ahead. If you ever fall behind, it is incredibly difficult to catch up. FOM is all of your undergrad science courses with a little medical twist, so it is a great time to adjust your study habits. You will need them in MSK . Also, taking a day/afternoon off for fun/family to maintain balance is extremely important. However, do so wisely.

Tip # 2 Musculoskeletal was by far the most stressful section (for me and alot of friends agree). To combat this, get a tutor for anatomy early ! Go to smith hall and sign up for one during FOM. Your tutor most likely wont meet with you until Neuro anatomy is over for them, but ask to begin meeting to go over structures early in the MSK section. A lot of weight is on the anatomy practical and the year before me had ~ 60 failures, and my class had ~ 45 failures. Knowing your structures in Netter's early is good, but your real benifit for your practical is spending A LOT of time in the lab, with friends and with a tutor. Use designated Lab time wisely, most people use it for conversation and approach it that way. (I got into a bad habit of this). But in MSK, quiz each other over structures, by the 6th week you will be glad you did.

Tip # 3 Pathology: Pathology is a lot of fun IMO because studying disease seems easier than studying the norm IMO. ERF's (Dr. Friedlander) notes are very dense and knowing definitions and explanations are only half the battle: look at Slice of LIfe images EARLY on. Buying the book "Robbins and Cotran, atlas of Pathology" is a great source. I used it as my primary source along with his notes and scored great on all of the Path practicals. Also, get a tutor for path. Path comes easy for some and exceedingly difficult for others. KNOW YOUR HISTOLOGY and look up his old exams on his website.

Tip # 4 OMT : ahhhh where to begin here. Well, dont ever miss a lab, if you do you not only have to make up the lab, but write a report on the lab. Most people, (again, been guilty a few times here) go through the motions for 6 weeks and cram 2 days before a practical and are shaking they are so nervous for the practical. In Lab, after they show you a few techniques and ask you and your partner to practice, DO IT. And if you have any questions, ask a TA or a Doc. The most beneficial thing you can do is once a week meet with a friend and go over the techniques and say what you are doing outloud so the first time you do this isn't in front of a doc for a grade under timed conditions. :eek:

Tip # 5 Join the family med club ---free membership AND you get the mock anatomy practical. Nearly identical to the real thing. Join the UAAO ---with a fee and you get a mock OMT practical. Again, identical to the real thing.

Final Tip: Pick your battles, you cannot know it all flawlessley like you could in undergrad. Put it into perspective, ( not 100% sure with the curriculum changes) but each lecture has 2 questions only. So out of 60 + slides, there is only 2 questions from that material. So if its a stand alone lecture like say embryo, where it isnt really foundation info to understand 3 or 4 other lectures or if it just isnt stickin in your head...... punt the lecture and move on. A point or 2 lost somewhere can be turned into a point or 2 gained somewhere else.

This worked for me: did I get through with straight A's ? NOPE.... Top 1/3 ? YUP. Still, just one person tryin to offer some advice, take it with a grain of salt like everything else on SDN

:luck: hope this helps some of you.

-DiverDoc

I remember how I felt a year ago when I was in your shoes, thinking of what its going to be like, some days it felt like I was 90% excited..10 % scared, and the next it was vice versa. I remember a post by Spiced (look it up) that seemed to help out that gave advice for med school in general and more specific to KCUMB. So take it with a grain of salt, but I felt like I could-should pass along some advice.

Tip # 1 to quote " DO NOT GET BEHIND", even if the day is light in volume of material, use this to your advantage and try to get ahead. If you ever fall behind, it is incredibly difficult to catch up. FOM is all of your undergrad science courses with a little medical twist, so it is a great time to adjust your study habits. You will need them in MSK . Also, taking a day/afternoon off for fun/family to maintain balance is extremely important. However, do so wisely.

Tip # 2 Musculoskeletal was by far the most stressful section (for me and alot of friends agree). To combat this, get a tutor for anatomy early ! Go to smith hall and sign up for one during FOM. Your tutor most likely wont meet with you until Neuro anatomy is over for them, but ask to begin meeting to go over structures early in the MSK section. A lot of weight is on the anatomy practical and the year before me had ~ 60 failures, and my class had ~ 45 failures. Knowing your structures in Netter's early is good, but your real benifit for your practical is spending A LOT of time in the lab, with friends and with a tutor. Use designated Lab time wisely, most people use it for conversation and approach it that way. (I got into a bad habit of this). But in MSK, quiz each other over structures, by the 6th week you will be glad you did.

Tip # 3 Pathology: Pathology is a lot of fun IMO because studying disease seems easier than studying the norm IMO. ERF's (Dr. Friedlander) notes are very dense and knowing definitions and explanations are only half the battle: look at Slice of LIfe images EARLY on. Buying the book "Robbins and Cotran, atlas of Pathology" is a great source. I used it as my primary source along with his notes and scored great on all of the Path practicals. Also, get a tutor for path. Path comes easy for some and exceedingly difficult for others. KNOW YOUR HISTOLOGY and look up his old exams on his website.

Tip # 4 OMT : ahhhh where to begin here. Well, dont ever miss a lab, if you do you not only have to make up the lab, but write a report on the lab. Most people, (again, been guilty a few times here) go through the motions for 6 weeks and cram 2 days before a practical and are shaking they are so nervous for the practical. In Lab, after they show you a few techniques and ask you and your partner to practice, DO IT. And if you have any questions, ask a TA or a Doc. The most beneficial thing you can do is once a week meet with a friend and go over the techniques and say what you are doing outloud so the first time you do this isn't in front of a doc for a grade under timed conditions. :eek:

Tip # 5 Join the family med club ---free membership AND you get the mock anatomy practical. Nearly identical to the real thing. Join the UAAO ---with a fee and you get a mock OMT practical. Again, identical to the real thing.

Final Tip: Pick your battles, you cannot know it all flawlessley like you could in undergrad. Put it into perspective, ( not 100% sure with the curriculum changes) but each lecture has 2 questions only. So out of 60 + slides, there is only 2 questions from that material. So if its a stand alone lecture like say embryo, where it isnt really foundation info to understand 3 or 4 other lectures or if it just isnt stickin in your head...... punt the lecture and move on. A point or 2 lost somewhere can be turned into a point or 2 gained somewhere else.

This worked for me: did I get through with straight A's ? NOPE.... Top 1/3 ? YUP. Still, just one person tryin to offer some advice, take it with a grain of salt like everything else on SDN

-DiverDoc

Diver Doc,

PM me and let me know who you are if you don't mind. You sound level headed. I like level headed people.

To C/O 2013,

I agree with just about everything DD says, except one thing. Don't listen to us when we tell you this section is hard or that section is easy. Seems like all the 2nd years last year were saying GI is sooooo easy. You won't have a problem. GI was a freakin Master's Thesis in Microbiology for me. I did well, but found it to be the hardest section of all. Overall I found CP to be pretty easy and enjoyable (which supposedly not the norm). Just come ready to work. Discover your study method in FOM. Know that studying gets easier as the material gets more congruent (now I said "studying" gets easier, not the material... you learn what you need to do to get the grade you want). And absolutely DO NOT get down on yourselves. Medical school is hard. It's supposed to be. If you need help, ask... and don't hesitate. Your classmates and your big bro/sis are here to help. There are a good number of professors that love to help as well. Don't let pride take you away from this opportunity. Congrats. Strap in. It's a fun ride. :rolleyes:

-DiverDoc

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write. :)

I would recommend making a mental list of your near (1 week out), intermediate (1-2 months out), long term (1-2 years out) and distant career goals. The prioritizing of this is key. If you spend every waking hour studying for next week you will probably not do as well on the overall sections. If you spend time only on boards, your postion in class will not be as good. Overall, I think it is easy to get myopic during Y1 and Y2 and miss the longer-term items.

Short-term: you guys are probably all good on that. you wouldn't be reading this if you weren't. My best advice is get your sleep. I rarely studied past 10PM, and my retention of material was much better than if I stayed up. I probably studied less than 90% of my classmates because of my sleep schedule.

Intermediate: as many have noted, don't get behind. Eat right and work out, it is a marathon. You will get through your sections intact if you are not run down.

Long-term: boards open doors. My class rank was not fabulous but I got interviews at high-end programs because I took them seriously, especially USMLE. If you are self-directed, don't bother with the Kaplan class, get materials and spend an afternoon a week reviewing old material to refresh it. Your functional retention on rotations and boards will be superior and you will stand out with preceptors. They write letters, which are your ticket. Become an interesting, well-conversant person. Preceptors have to live with you for years and they will overlook a few blemishes if they like you as an individual. Do some community service with hospice or church groups. Learn to cook a little. Preceptors love that! I don't know why.

Make sure you take a few hours every month to examine the career-term items. Read some news about medical policy, it will affect you much more than your class rank. find some clinicians in fields that interest you and buy them lunch when they come to lecture or skip a class and get some one-on-one time to find out where they see their area of medicine heading. Your clinical faculty does not have that kind of visibilty, they are in a very artificial world. Most of them will let you send time in their clinics. An afternoon or two will tell you a great deal. Are they happy and in shape? Are they twice divorced? Are their kids drug dealers or chemistry honors students? Different people have tolerance for different sacrifices, and it takes all types.

In short, you will be in med school for 2 years, then on rotations with varying levels of responsibilty until you are an attending. Then all these decisions are made and very difficult to change. Take a little time to know where you are heading, it is motivational and will keep you from having too many major misgivings later on. You will have plenty of those anyway!

Wow, these are great posts. Thanks guys for taking the time to share your insight.

One more tip - don't be too hard on yourself. Every once in a while you will have a bad test. Maybe you are just average when compared to your classmates. Maybe you are below average. So if you get a C in a section or the ever dreaded fail on an exam, especially in the first semester while you are adjusting, just go visit Stan. He will be able to give you tips on studying as well as tips on testing. Those that took the time to get help from him have all appreciated it. Also, if you do happen to not do well on an exam, study harder for the next one and don't get so worked up that it affects the next one. You can afford one bad exam, but if you have 2 within the same section (both near failing / failing), it is very difficult to pick that grade up for that section. Good news is that each section you get to start fresh. The advice given above is very useful too. I wouldn't change anything they said. Especially the take a day off / evening off. Just designate the day of the week and keep it unless you have the above going on...then I would skip a week of the relaxation then pick it back up.

This health insurance thing really bugs me. I called the agent whose paperwork was included in the matriculation packet and he told me I was uninsurable due to a pre-existing condition. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know SOMA has a plan, but if something goes seriously wrong, there's no way I can afford the out-of-pocket fees.

Anyone know why the school doesn't offer a policy?

Make sure to check your spam filter for KCUMB emails. My blackboard info was sent to my gmail spam and now I make sure I check it along with my inbox.

<3 I am very thankful to you all for posting some advice. If anyone has anything else to add, that would be super fantastic. Study tips are also appreciated.

Ps- i looked for "Spiced" and tried to find any posts about KCUMB tips and couldn't find it. Anyone else have any other luck?

Network, network, network.

:thumbup:

This includes with upperclassmen. I know you have a big brother/sister, but those aren't always your best fit. If you study at school, get to know some of them that study at school too. They will be beneficial for everything you will ever have questions about (rotations, residency apps, personal statements, CVs, etc). I have friends in the classes above me and I am ever grateful for having them. Never take advantage of these resources as they are invaluable to you.

Anyone going to the Summer Enhancement program that starts next Monday??

Just wondering if anyone was going from CT and wanted to walk over together. Let me know!

Hi Class of 2013, I was in the class of 2012 before I left for personal reasons. So I've already sold my equipment to one of you but I still have a good number of books that i would like to sell. I put a list below with some prices that I thought were fair when I put the list together a few months ago. I'm very willing to move the prices around though, so don't let that scare you off. You'll find all of these books on your required texts list and I'll sell them for less than the campus book store and probably cheaper than amazon. I still live close to KC so making an exchange. Cash only. Email me at [email protected]

-Immunology (Kuby) -$45.00
-*Medical Dictionary (stedman's)-18.00
-*Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine -65.00
-*Board Review Series-Pathology-25.00
-*Clinically Oriented Anatomy (5th ed.)-$50.00 (a note on this book: There is a 6th edition that came out in 2005, but the Drs. Wright still haven't moved on to that edition yet and I have no way of knowing if they will for your class. But I suspect the editions are very close together)
-*Atlas of Human Anatomy (netter)-60.00
-*Physical Examination of spine...(hoppenfield)-58.00
-*BLS-5.00
-*An osteopathic Approach to diagnosis and treatment-$34.00
-the medical interview-25.00
-*Elsevier's Integrated Genetics-35.00 (this is an KCUMB "in-house" book written by the head of curriculum)
-Atlas of pathology (Robbins)-40.00

*I put an asterisks by all the books that you absolutely can't get by without. The rest of the books are useful and are on the school's required reading list but one could soldier on without them.

Has anyone else not received their Award Notice?

I just got accepted rather last minute for this year and now I'm trying to find a place to live. I'm not going to be able to see the place before moving. So I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Library Lofts or the City Place at Westport Apartments. Has anyone previously lived in them or toured them?

Rapunzeldances-

First off, congrats! I have toured both places you mentioned and decided on Library Lofts. 5 min. commute to campus and it is decently affordable. I know there are definitely other students in the building and I really like the proximity to Power and Light and other downtown venues. It is a true loft style arrangement and that appeals to me. My roommate and I will be paying about 600 a month each for 1200 sq. feet 2BR 2BA. Not a bad deal. Visit kcloftcentral.com for more details. See you very soon.

Thanks so much for the information! Yeah I really liked the location of both of the complexes. I did like the design of the Library Lofts better but some of the online reviews made me wonder about it. I will look forward to meeting everyone very shortly.