KCUMB Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm a 2nd year student at KCUMB, and am helping a friend who is looking to rent a room out. The location is North of the river, about 15 minutes away from the school. For a single person the rent would be $300/month (utilities paid). You would have your own bathroom. The kitchen is shared. If interested contact Nilda at (816)741-2243.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a 2nd year student at KCUMB, and am helping a friend who is looking to rent a room out. The location is North of the river, about 15 minutes away from the school. For a single person the rent would be $300/month (utilities paid). You would have your own bathroom. The kitchen is shared. If interested, contact Nilda at (816)741-2243.

Hi, I'm a 2nd year student at KCUMB, and am helping a friend who is looking to rent a room out. The location is North of the river, about 15 minutes away from the school. For a single person the rent would be $300/month (utilities paid). You would have your own bathroom. The kitchen is shared. If interested contact Nilda at (816)741-2243.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I am a fourth year dental student at UMKC graduating in a few weeks. I've got a townhouse in an awesome neighborhood for students. Right now there are at least twenty KCUMB students living here as well as 10 UMKC dental students. People carpool, study together, etc. The rent is the CHEAP!

Feel free to email me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Matt
[email protected]

so exactly how bad is the neighborhood around kcumb campus, especially pendleton heights neighborhood? i am interested in living within walking/biking distance to campus but ct seems very pricey for the space you get and i feel i could do better looking elsewhere. i hear different things about the area, though. it didn't seem too rough when i visited, but maybe that's because i've had too much experience with inner city detroit so nothing scares me anymore!

The area around KCUMB probably doesnt compare to inner city detroit as far as the scary factor, but it isn't terribly convenient to grocery stores, wal-mart, etc. And you're right, you can get more space for your money in other parts of KC. The Northland is nice, and I know a guy who lives in my neighborhood that still bikes to school. It's about 7 miles away. A 10-12 minute drive.

thanks! all i really hear about the area is that it is way sketchy and not someplace you should be walking around alone at odd hours. but i guess you shouldn't be walking around alone at odd hours regardless?

Howdy Gang! Putting together my school list. Does KCUMB offer health insurance through the school?

Anyone in the 2009-2010 Bioscience program, i created a facebook group for us all to get to know a bit about each other and the plans we are making. Check it out!

Question about computer specifications...

I looked on the KCUMB website and did a search there too for what specifications they want computers to have, but I didn't find anything specific.

If anyone has any info please let me know!

Sorry, Nilda's phone number changed. It is now 816-877-5760.

Question about computer specifications...

I looked on the KCUMB website and did a search there too for what specifications they want computers to have, but I didn't find anything specific.

If anyone has any info please let me know!

It really doesn't matter unless you plan on buying a new one with financial aid money. That's the only time its required you meet minimum specifications, otherwise they are just recommendations. I've attached the info from IT.

Attachments

• 2009-10 Computer Specifications.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 229
It really doesn't matter unless you plan on buying a new one with financial aid money. That's the only time its required you meet minimum specifications, otherwise they are just recommendations. I've attached the info from IT.

Awesome thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
So. I received my financial aid packet in the mail and I need some help. I know that we need a lender, but is it just for Stafford loans? Or for GradPLUS too? Do we apply for both right now or wait until we have our letter to apply for GradPLUS?

Any help on what to look for in a lender? Why does discover have no fees but everyone else has origination fees?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

So. I received my financial aid packet in the mail and I need some help. I know that we need a lender, but is it just for Stafford loans? Or for GradPLUS too? Do we apply for both right now or wait until we have our letter to apply for GradPLUS?

Any help on what to look for in a lender? Why does discover have no fees but everyone else has origination fees?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I'm struggling with the same things you are right now. We need a lender for BOTH stafford and Grad PLUS, but from the looks of it, they are separate loan apps and therefore you could potentially use different lenders. Not only is Discover offering no fees, but they are offer 8.25% interest for Grad PLUS whereas everyone else is 8.50%. Not sure why, maybe just to get people to use them in this crappy economy??? I'm leaning towards Discover though because of it. I have never taken out loans before, so I'm new to the process. I've heard bad things about Sallie Mae, okay things about Citi Group and good things about Wachovia. But thats three of how many?! Discover looks appealing, but i don't know either. Let me know if you find anything out!!!

I went with Discover in the end. After many many headaches and phone calls, i found out several things. First that the fees are ALLOWED by the federal government, but not required. Most lenders just max out their fees because they want to earn money. Discover ends up giving an 8.25% interest on their gradPLUS because their Guarentor (great lakes) pays the extra .25% and you can get an 8% if you do automatic payments.

From what i understand fees and customer service are the only differences between lenders (aside from discover). That's what i know, i hope it helps!

I went with Discover in the end. After many many headaches and phone calls, i found out several things. First that the fees are ALLOWED by the federal government, but not required. Most lenders just max out their fees because they want to earn money. Discover ends up giving an 8.25% interest on their gradPLUS because their Guarentor (great lakes) pays the extra .25% and you can get an 8% if you do automatic payments.

From what i understand fees and customer service are the only differences between lenders (aside from discover). That's what i know, i hope it helps!

That's who I went with too! It all seemed the same. They're gonna make some cash from offering the slightly lower interest rates/no fees! It is a giant headache though!

Is there some kind of catch with choosing Discover? They have no Default of Origination Fees, except for the 3% Grad Plus - which is standard. I've been calling around and this is better than everywhere, by far. They also told me that stafford rates are going to be lowered on July 1st. Anyone see any problems here?

Last edited:
Hahah that's what i thought too: Where's the catch? As far as I have been able to delve there hasn't been any catches. Perhaps I'll find out differently as time goes on. I hope not. In the end, I just made the decision because no fees or less fees are better for me and gets them my business. I have sent several message to current student s to ask about their loans & lenders but nobody has responded. Any help students?

As for the lower interest rate after July 1st, i would call your lender and ask them if they are going to lower your rater as well or if you're locked in. For some lenders, if you've already signed your Promissory Note you are locked in.

The information I've found is that:
The interest rate falls from the fixed 6.8% on new Subsidized Stafford Loans. Loans originated after July 1st, 2009 will be 5.6%, those after July 1st, 2010 will be 4.5% and those after July 1st, 2011 will be only 3.4%.
I just called Discover. They said as long as your disbursement date is after July 1st they will go with the lower interest rate. They did say to make sure that the school doesn't set your disbursement date until AFTER July 1st. I haven't called the financial aid office to see if they will do that or not. (though i don't see why they wouldn't).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: These rates only apply to UNDERGRADUATE Subsidized loans. So we don't get them suck...

Last edited:
I was going to try and wait it out until July 1, so that I was guaranteed the lower rate. However, the financial aid office says the deadline for that packet is next Friday. When I talked to Discover I got someone that was not that knowledgeable, and they said that I would get the higher rate because the MPN was done before July 1. Now if that is true or not, I don't know.

I broke down and went with Discover. I couldn't see any reason not to. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

Please message back if/when you talk to financial aid about changing the disbursement date, if it's even needed.

Hey, I'm pretty sure that I read about the Stafford rates going down for undergraduate loans, but not graduate. I'll see if I can find that info again, but I'm almost positive it was only for undergrad.

EDIT: yep, found it.

Interest Rate Reductions

Over a four-year period beginning July 1, 2008, the interest rate on subsidized Stafford Loans made to undergraduate students will be reduced. The applicable interest rates for loans made during this period are as follows:
First disbursement of a loan:Interest rate on the unpaid
balanceMade on or after And made before July 1, 2008July 1, 20096.0 percentJuly 1, 2009July 1, 20105.6 percentJuly 1, 2010July 1, 20114.5 percentJuly 1, 2011July 1, 20123.4 percent

These changes apply to subsidized Stafford loans first disbursed on or after July 1 of each year through June 30 of the next year. This change does not affect any prior loans made to borrowers; the terms and interest rates of those loans remain the same. These reduced interest rates apply only to subsidized loans; any unsubsidized Stafford Loan for the same undergraduate borrower would continue to be made at the current fixed interest rate of 6.8 percent.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp

Last edited:
Hi hi. Does anyone know if there's a required medical equipment package? (old class of 2009 thread said there was, but what about for us?) :confused:

Also, are there any really good books that anyone would recommend that we get? Or any really bad books that we should not get. ^^:laugh:

Thanks. =)

you're right.

KCUMB said it does NOT apply to graduate stafford. So we don't have to worry about it. But they did say the disbursement date is after July 1st, so if for any reason there was a change (which they doubt) it would automatically be applied.

SO sad... I had my hopes up for less money owed! guess not.

Anyone know where or what kind of scrubs we're allowed to get?

ps- Another little morsel of information I received. I talked to several current KCUMB students who recommend to get the smaller OMT book because the big one is overkill. Any KCUMB students who disagree?

What's the title of the little OMT book?

Just FYI,

For any part of the tuition that isn't going to be coming from loans that get directly disbursed to the school, you'll need to pay it by Thursday, Aug 6th. You can call the VP of Finance, Jim Park to make a payment plan.

He's really nice. :love:

>< now i wonder if i'm just spamming information. whee~~~ totally excited.

What's the title of the little OMT book?

The smallest book that is just a "supplemental" text is Hoppenfeld, S.: Physical Examination of the Spine & Extremities, 1976. I've used it maybe twice and just made copies from the library.
The smaller of the two "required" is DiGiovanna, E. and Schiowitz, S.: An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, 3rd
Edition, 2005

If you're thinking about getting books already, don't. Wait until you get access to blackboard, the new 3rd yrs will be selling theirs super cheap.

It's interesting how tuition and other fees are increasing more than inflation. Understandable because prof and other need incentive. (39436 in 2008-2009 to 41013 in 2009-2010).

What wow's me though is that books and supplied jumped 60% even after a generous inflation adjustment. ($1450 up to $2430). Did new editions of every textbook come out? :eek:

Also interesting is that the budget sheet went from "First Year (9 Months)" to "First Year (10 Months)." But the dates that they give us add up to only 14 days more. I wonder if the school is actually that much longer or if they just extended it to give up a larger budget to work with for financial aid.

Can't wait until they give us blackboard. =)

Wow, you guys have really done your homework with this stuff. Is it bad that the only thing I have done is fill out my fafsa?:confused:

they sent out more financial aid forms last week to the address listed. You should fill that out ASAP and return it to kcumb because your finaid can't be det until you do that.

I received all that fin aid info. I am a first time borrower and have a lot of questions. First off, where do I get a Promissory Note? Can I just go to any bank for that? Also, I do not have any information on interest rates. I see that several of you are going with Discover so that sounds good enough for me. If I am taking out GradPlus loans in addition to stafford loans, do I need two promissory notes (one for GradPlus and one for Stafford)? It seems easier to just use the same lender for both but I am sure there are advantages in shopping around.

Ugh. I hate finances. I would much rather be thinking anatomy.

Last edited:
Nvm. I just figured out that I can do all of this electronically, lol.

I received all that fin aid info. I am a first time borrower and have a lot of questions. First off, where do I get a Promissory Note? Can I just go to any bank for that? Also, I do not have any information on interest rates. I see that several of you are going with Discover so that sounds good enough for me. If I am taking out GradPlus loans in addition to stafford loans, do I need two promissory notes (one for GradPlus and one for Stafford)? It seems easier to just use the same lender for both but I am sure there are advantages in shopping around.

Ugh. I hate finances. I would much rather be thinking anatomy.

I am with ya, but this is all part of the package. Apply for the STAFFORD ONLY!!! If you can print it for your records do it. Otherwise, sign it electronically, print it for you and print it for KCUMB.

You can apply for GradPlus after you've received the award letter from KCUMB (you have to send in your fin aid packet before you can get it). THis is done because you don't know how much to ask for yet for your GradPlus.

good luck.

Sent all my stuff in! When can we expect to get our awards letter? June? Also, when do they perform a CBC on us? Not that I am hiding anything... ;)

I think we get fin aid award letter in June. Don't you like how they call it an "award"? Do you get a nice fuzzy feeling inside? :D Or are you feeling horor at potential debt? :eek:

So what are people doing for the summer? I'm going to go to Taiwan for an internship, play alot, and then hopefully sleep alot. =)

Nice. Will you be in Taipei by chance? I hear it is a vibrant city, and one of my close friends has tons of family there.

I plan on having the best summer of my life. I just have to figure out how to do that. Definitely going to Vegas and spending a lot of time near water. And sleeping. A lot.

Need a family-friendly place to stay? The Riverside Townhouses are the epitome of family-friendly in Kansas City. There are 2 and 3 bedroom townhouses opening up very soon. I've lived here for 2 years and love it. I have one specific neighbor who is selling her 2 bedroom townhouse and she permitted me to advertise for her. So if you want more information you can call 816-505-1892. My wife, Alison, is willing to answer any of your questions. If you would like to talk to the Manager Carol, her office number is (816)741-7022. Thanks.

Nice. Will you be in Taipei by chance? I hear it is a vibrant city, and one of my close friends has tons of family there.

I plan on having the best summer of my life. I just have to figure out how to do that. Definitely going to Vegas and spending a lot of time near water. And sleeping. A lot.

Nope. I'll be from in the Southern portion of taiwan. fun fun.

Oohh. vegas.. nice... quite hot, but nice. =0)

Does anyone have any idea what time the white coat ceremony is at on August 6th? I don't need an exact time but it would be really helpful to know if it is in the afternoon or at night.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea what time the white coat ceremony is at on August 6th? I don't need an exact time but it would be really helpful to know if it is in the afternoon or at night.

BOOKS: I noticed some people mention they are selling their first year textbooks-- I would be interested so shoot me an email.

-Cornelius

Last year we had rehearsal at 1pm and the actual ceremony started around 7pm. I think ours lasted a couple hours. Then you go to a big reception at one of the hotels.

Hey guys, congrats on getting accepted to KCUMB. I was in the class of 2012 before I decided that medicine was not for me after all. So I have some equipment and books that I'd be willing to sell you for a huge discount. The medical equipment that you'll be required to buy includes a stethoscope (mine is black), 2 kinds of opthamoscope, odoscope, blood pressure cuff and a few smaller things. The prices for this package last year was either 700 or 760 depending on what kind of battery you want to power the whole thing, i chose the more expensive Lithium Ion battery. I can only assume that prices have gone up slightly over last year. However I'd still be willing to sell my stuff for 500 bucks or so. My stuff is still in great working order. I also have quite a few of the requisite books you'll need including Netter's Anatomy Atlas, Moore-Daley to name two.(I'll charge whatever the KCUMB book store is charging -30%) If you are interested or have questions, please email me at [email protected] (my school email has since been turned off). I live within driving distance of kansas city or many other places in Kansas so an exchange could be made pretty easily. And remember, you need your equipment on the 2nd day of class.

-Dave

Is anyone planning on living in a loft/downtown this next year? My girlfriend and I are looking to move and I was wondering what other people were able to find. I'm an (almost) 2nd year at KCUMB if anyone has any school related questions. :D Congratulations to everyone!

You will have a rehearsal early in the day and then the actual ceremony is at night with a huge party afterward!! It was a great time and is tons of fun! I know my class really looked forward to it!

You absolutely should check out the local rental market of the neighborhood in which KCUMB resides. Several students rent local and some even have purchased homes! Your school sits in the Historic District neighborhood of Pendleton Heights...just 5 minutes from everything downtown and 2 minutes to the River Market. The neighborhood offers a local pharmacy, local grocery, local post office, and KC's version of "Central Park" with about 5 miles of running/biking trail. Plus, the park offers great cliff climbing and a super frisbee golf course. Do NOT waste time commuting...check out the available units...
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/1176896827.html

This is a BAD neighborhood. You won't want to walk past dark (pretty much all of the winter months). I would not move to this complex with the thoughts of walking to school. And the neighbors you will have...

just curious if anyone has any input or information on student health plans. wading through the plethora of options and becoming inundated..

Hey All,

I am looking for a male or female house mate. I am about to close on a good, cheap home becuase I know a relator in KC. It's a 2 bedroom house with 1 & 1/2 bath. It has central air conditioning. It's 1.5 miles from the school. In case you won't have a car, The bus line is 2 blocks away so you can take the bus to school. The school is on the bus line as well so you literally get off right in front of the school.
$395 is for the entire 2BR house. It would include a stove and a fridge.
Water, gas and electric are to be paid by the renter. Would be no charge on
trash service. If you want a clothes washer and dryer, I can supply that
but the rent would be higher ($440 total). If you want to use a laundry
mat, there are several in the area.

The rent would be $220 per person and half the water, gas, electric. A bit about me. I am a 23 year old male from new orleans but I have been living and travelling abroad for the last year and a half. I am clean-ish, very very easy to live with, and a fun person. I have shared rooms my whole life and would like a roomate who wants to be friends.

To secure the place I have to send in the first months rent and a 350$ deposit. So half the rent and $175 would be what I would need to secuire the place.

If anyone is interested, email me and we can chit chat about things for compatibility.

I have a picture that can be sent if you shoot me an email at [email protected]

Are families supposed to/ allowed to come to the White Coat Ceremony? Aka I mentioned it in passing to my parents and now they want to come... :thumbdown:

Are families supposed to/ allowed to come to the White Coat Ceremony? Aka I mentioned it in passing to my parents and now they want to come... :thumbdown:

Last year, I think we got 5-6 tickets per student. If you don't use all of your tickets, you can turn them back for other students that might need extra. Handicap parking is available if needed and your family is invited to the big reception at the local hotel--last year was the Marriott downtown. Your family should come! It is a really cool event!

1 BR apartment available to sublease ( available June 11 ) ..... lease runs out July 31, and available for renewal at that time.

** great Country Club Plaza location with amenities such as reserved garage parking, controlled access, 2 storage areas, pool

*** 3 min to St Lukes Hospital
*** 8 min to KU Med School/ Med Center
*** 10 min to Children's Mercy Hospital, UMKC Med School,
Truman Medical Center

*** 15 min to KCUMB

Job transfer to finish residency has me moving out soon; I am offering a very nice financial incentive

You pay no deposit
You keep my deposit
Prorated June rent
I'll help pay July's rent

Regular rent is $687 / month.

Send me a message for more info.

Thanks. Carpe

You are sadly misinformed....:( But, entitled to your misinformed opinion. The neighborhood in which KCUMB resides is well known for LOWER crime rates than most of downtown and midtown kc. And, it is a family neighborhood where many urban business owners and downtown professionals own homes and raise there families. The neighborhood is charmingly gritty and proudly boasts one of the largest collection of restored Victorian homes in the midwest...the last of which sold for $248,000. Most folks would not spend that kind of money on a home in a "bad" neighborhood! As for the neighbors...I've found them all to be friendly...wealthy and poor alike. You will find a diverse mix of nationalities which is very common in most true urban settings. This neighborhood has become very popular with the growing artist community due to the convenience of location and walkability. It has also become very popular with the young "urbanites" as it is the new cool place that's close to all downtown amenities. At the end of the day I encourage everyone to explore the "unknown" and make a personal opinion of the community. That's what the other students have done who currently reside in Pendleton Heights.

IF you are telling the truth, the neighborhood has changed a lot in the last year. I did live near the school for 3 years, but have not the past year. I would encourage people to look before renting or buying anywhere near the school.

You are sadly misinformed....:( But, entitled to your misinformed opinion. The neighborhood in which KCUMB resides is well known for LOWER crime rates than most of downtown and midtown kc. And, it is a family neighborhood where many urban business owners and downtown professionals own homes and raise there families. The neighborhood is charmingly gritty and proudly boasts one of the largest collection of restored Victorian homes in the midwest...the last of which sold for $248,000. Most folks would not spend that kind of money on a home in a "bad" neighborhood! As for the neighbors...I've found them all to be friendly...wealthy and poor alike. You will find a diverse mix of nationalities which is very common in most true urban settings. This neighborhood has become very popular with the growing artist community due to the convenience of location and walkability. It has also become very popular with the young "urbanites" as it is the new cool place that's close to all downtown amenities. At the end of the day I encourage everyone to explore the "unknown" and make a personal opinion of the community. That's what the other students have done who currently reside in Pendleton Heights.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm just applying this year, but no offense but it's not like you're an objective poster here with the handle KCRealtor. What are you doing posting on this forum anyway? I thought advertising and spam wasn't allowed.