Is Pomona safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much made up my mind about school next year and will most likely be attending Western COMP. But I have heard things about Pomona, specifically that it is not a very nice town. Is this true? Is the school in a safe place? What about housing? Any input from current students or residents of the area would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, future classmate!

I grew up on the beach in the L.A. area so I'll give you my input.

Pomona is not the best place to live. It isn't as unsafe as some parts of Los Angeles, but it still has a good number of gangs and low lifes. I just read in the L.A. Times yesterday about a shooting in Pomona. Besides that, there really isn't a whole lot to do there for recreational activities. Others, of course, may disagree, but these are just my opinions.

There are areas that are fairly close to school that you can live. I'm not familiar with places south of COMP, but I do know about L.A. and nearby areas. It takes me about 45 minutes to get to school and I live in Hollywood.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Marc

Kat13,

Well I grew up in Pomona (actually Phillips Ranch) and I think that it is a safe place to live. Now you will not want live next to the school. If you are worried you can live in Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, Claremont, Upland, Montclair, or Chino. These are all really nice places but are expensive to live in. Phillips Ranch has a nice neighborhood feel and you could probably rent a house with some other students for as much as you would pay for an apartment in some of the above named cities. It is probably ten minutes away from campus taking the street. If you have any questions about the surrounding area of Pomona or ever need a tour guide let me know... [email protected]

I actually have an interview at Western this FRiday and hope to go there in the fall. Wish me luck!!!

Donnell Wigfall

Members don't see this ad :)
Safety is not an issue. Definitely not. I grew up in South Cali. I went to school in Claremont.. Pomona has some rough spots, but it by all means, is not ghetto. It's like a typical suburbia that is big.. has some questionable areas you won't want to cross thru, but for the most part, it's good.

I visited Western. Loved the dean and the classrooms' layout. I think you shouldn't take that into consideration... so much as the campus looks really ugly from the outside. That quasi bar thing? what were they even trying? haha.

Hey,

Second year here! Actually, that shooting is just down the street from campus...at a Burger King. No new news there, I guess. The apt. right next to campus is pretty...well, let's just say a few of our classmates lived there and got there apt. broken into, TWICE. To top it off, the people who burglarized them tried selling it off to another classmate of ours who lived there. So to answer your question...No, Pomona's not that safe, but I feel okay around here. I'm an LA local, and a few shootings here or there don't bother me too much, unless of course it happens to me:( But, don't worry about location too much, just make sure you consider all other factors...i.e. the school itself, in class hours, OMM reputation, etc. Welcome aboard the WesternU crew!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input about the city, not that I was really going to change my mind about going to COMP, I have heard too many great things about the school. I am also going to try to look for some housing outside of Pomona I think, although I don't really know the best way to go about doing that since I am out of state. Anyways, thanks again and I look forward to meeting you all soon!
Good luck to you Donnell, I am sure you'll be fine!

It might be helpful if you posted some of the areas that you were considering moving to and we could give our input.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Usually, in SoCal, this means that if you want to pay next to nothing you'd better be packing some heat or expect to travel long distances to get to civilization. Most, if not all, of these posters know more about the immediate area than I do so I'd put more stock in what they say. If you plan on moving west of COMP, I might be able to help.