Interviews and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Mye Eye,

I guess they must have liked your paragraph :)

Members don't see this ad.

haha yeah :) and being from the region I'm sure doesnt hurt

good luck to you!!!

I don't get it. Thankfully, I've gotten interviews at some fine programs. But I've gotten absolutely no love from Chicago programs (UIC, Loyola) - which is weird because I'm from that city. I thought geography played a significant role in this sort of thing. What gives?

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Iowa via email (Nov 16, 30 & Dec 14)

OSU rejection via snail mail.

This whole process is sooo slow! do some programs wait for our deans letters??

Got invite via snail mail today from Penn State
Dates: Nov 19th; Dec 7th; Dec 10th
:luck:

University of Iowa via email (Nov 16, 30 & Dec 14)

excellent! congrats!:thumbup:

you're gonna have 20+ interviews when it's all said and done...share some with the rest of us!

i haven't heard from iowa yet...:scared: been a quiet week for me.

excellent! congrats!:thumbup:

you're gonna have 20+ interviews when it's all said and done...share some with the rest of us!

i haven't heard from iowa yet...:scared: been a quiet week for me.

Thank you so much! that was really exciting for me too! :)

question, anyone heard from Mass Eye and Ear? Wills? Sheie? Emory? Mayo? Bascom Palmer? Duke?

Adding a few newbies to the arena

Arkansas - only date offered Nov 29th via email
Nassau Uni Med Center - Nov 20,27 Dec 4,11 via snail mail

Hang in there peoples, things should get interesting in the next 2 weeks

Best to all

UT-Houston via Phone Nov 29, 30

vandy via snail mail. dates are 11/28, 11/29, 11/30
UMich phone call earlier this week. dates are 11/15, 11/29, 12/6

OSU rejection letter via snail mail.
guess I know who I am rooting for this year.

Colorado via email - Nov 28 and Dec 2 (morning or afternoon session on each date)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got Colorado as well :)
Same dates as listed via e-mail

Adding a few newbies to the arena

Arkansas - only date offered Nov 29th via email
Nassau Uni Med Center - Nov 20,27 Dec 4,11 via snail mail

Hang in there peoples, things should get interesting in the next 2 weeks

Best to all
Hey everyone, new to the forum - but great job by everyone so far on this thread.

Quick question: anyone know the skinny on Nassau? Not much available on their website.

Thanks!

Colorado via email, same dates as previously mentioned.
Loma Linda University via phonecall, offered Dec. 4, 6, 11
Rejection from U of Iowa via email.

crud, haven't heard from umich yet... i was REALLY hoping for that program =(.

invite for univ south carolina (email), dates: 11/30, 12/7, 12/14

osu, vandy, ut-houston rejection letters (snail mail)

how's everyone doing in terms of ratio of programs applied to, interviews gotten, and and rejections?

ive applied to 80, got 9 interviews (mostly middle tier), and 8 rejections (including top-tier: wilmer, iowa).

Hey everyone, new to the forum - but great job by everyone so far on this thread.

Quick question: anyone know the skinny on Nassau? Not much available on their website.

Thanks!

Hey NPDR~
I got an interview from Nassau, if you've got any specific questions -- PM me.
cheers!

USC columbia for me too..w same dates as above

im hoping the next two weeks will have some more action..

45 programs...5 interviews, 3 rejections, the rest are MIA

i heard sheie was supposed to have invites out soon..anybody heard from them??

Hey everyone,

I keep reading and hearing applicants and residents discuss programs as "top" vs. "middle of the road" OR "solid" vs. "low" OR "Hey, to match is to succeed." However, despite many attempts with various keywords on google, I can't find a complete list of all the programs in the country that compares them or ranks them all. There's the top 17 list from US News & Ophthalmology Times, but is there a full list somewhere or a comparison of clinically vs. research oriented programs; or is this all just word of mouth from residents that have interviewed at these programs in the past? Obviously I know to browse each website and decide for myself at interviews, but is there some other resource or website with an at-a-glance comparison?

Congrats to everyone on interviews. I've been following the thread and will happily post updates if I ever get something that hasn't already been posted. Thanks to all for your collaboration.

- Snickaman -

Hey everyone,

I keep reading and hearing applicants and residents discuss programs as "top" vs. "middle of the road" OR "solid" vs. "low" OR "Hey, to match is to succeed." However, despite many attempts with various keywords on google, I can't find a complete list of all the programs in the country that compares them or ranks them all. There's the top 17 list from US News & Ophthalmology Times, but is there a full list somewhere or a comparison of clinically vs. research oriented programs; or is this all just word of mouth from residents that have interviewed at these programs in the past? Obviously I know to browse each website and decide for myself at interviews, but is there some other resource or website with an at-a-glance comparison?

Congrats to everyone on interviews. I've been following the thread and will happily post updates if I ever get something that hasn't already been posted. Thanks to all for your collaboration.

- Snickaman -

No such list exists. Your best bet is talking to recent applicants and current residents to get an idea of the experience at the various programs. Most of the top "ranked" programs offer solid training although not all of them. Some of the top ranked programs have lower than average surgical numbers but you may get to work with some of the "big-wigs" of ophthalmology for what thats worth...

Also, there are many unranked programs where training may be better in terms of clinical and surgical volume, but you may not be working with as many well known or highly published faculty.

You just have to decide what is important to you. Long term, if you are considering academic medicine, or desire the "best" fellowship in competitve fields such as oculoplastic or vitreoretinal surgery, then going to a highly ranked program such as Wilmer, Wills, Bascom, UCLA, Duke, Iowa, etc.. is beneficial although certainly not necessary.

Also, my last word of advice..don't get too enthralled with cataract surgery numbers...110-150 is probably the average. There are a fair number of programs where residents may do 200 or more phacos, but only a handful of anything else.

Ask about numbers with sub-specialty surgeries such as trabs and shunts, corneal transplants, pterygia, strabismus cases, vitrectomies and buckles, lasers such as PI's, YAG Caps, ALT and SLT, PRP and retinal Focal, ptosis, ectropion, post-MOHS or post-trauma reconstructions, DCR's, floor fractures, orbitotomies, temporal a. biopsies, optic n. sheath fenestrations, etc...

Find out how much the residents actually do during the case, as opposed to the attending or fellow.

U of Minnesota - Nov 30, Dec 1 - via email

I got the U Minnesota invite as well. I replied within an hr asking for the 12/1 date, but that was already full (sheesh, are people checking email every 15 minutes now), and the only date available was 11/30.

I am interviewing on 11/30 already at another program. Can someone please please be kind enough to switch with me and give me the 12/1 date and take the 11/30 date?

University of South Florida - via email - dates are December 10 and 11

In the last week: PSU (mail, dates as above), South Carolina (Nov 30, Dec 7,Dec 14)

Today: Kentucky (email) Nov 19, 26 Dec 7,10
South Florida (email) Dec 10,11
Emory (email) Dec 1,2

In the last week: PSU (mail, dates as above), South Carolina (Nov 30, Dec 7,Dec 14)

Today: Kentucky (email) Nov 19, 26 Dec 7,10
South Florida (email) Dec 10,11
Emory (email) Dec 1,2

nice work my friend...5 in a week including Emory! that's great!:thumbup:

got WVU today via snail mail, offering Dec 10 only.

anyone interested in trading Dec 10 for Dec 17?

Texas Tech - 11/30, 12/7 (email)
Albany Medical College - 11/3 (only date offered to me at least, email)

First reject--OSU today by snail mail. Darn, I'd been hoping to go to Columbus:(

UCSF interview via email. Dates are Nov 15, Nov 29, Dec 6. :)

any people have news on the dc/maryland programs yet?

well apparently nearly 100% of the ppl on this forum got rejected from Wilmer :) so that's one Maryland program...

as for UMd, GW, Georgetown I havent heard personally

Hey all!

Anyone have the skinny/feeling on following programs in terms of how good the program is?

1) Penn state
2) brown
3) henry ford
4) Kentucky?
5) other midwest programs

I know there's no "rankings" but what's your overall "gestalt" about the programs? Thanks!

Medical University of South Carolina via email. Dates offered were Nov 30 and Dec 1. "only few spots" available for Dec 1.

Yesterday:

Duke (phone) - Nov 16th only (Nov 30th not yet available)

Today:
MEEI (email): Nov 16, 19, 30
Cornell (email): Dec 4, 5 (2 half days each = 4 slots)
OHSU (email): Nov 17th, Dec 8th only

Yesterday:

Duke (phone) - Nov 16th only (Nov 30th not yet available)

Today:
MEEI (email): Nov 16, 19, 30
Cornell (email): Dec 4, 5 (2 half days each = 4 slots)
OHSU (email): Nov 17th, Dec 8th only

ok now i'm stressed.

Brown University... Nov 6, Dec 10

Does anyone who is interviewing on Nov 6th want to switch to Dec 10?

I have Dec 10th but would like Nov 6th.

PM me ASAP if interested.

Cheers!

I don't have much to add except:

Case Western 11/16 or 11/17 (email)

This thread was a find. I was in the dark until this morning.

Hit Wilmer 10/15. They wanted to be first. The program was all that and more. Baltimore seems like a hard place to love, but the autonomy and mentorship opportunities definitely make it worth it. The residents seemed to be pretty happy with their training, despite the intensity.

As of now, going to Loyola (phone), UMinnesota, Storm/MUSC, Cullen/Baylor, UWashington, and Doheny/USC. (all email)
Rejected sweetly from Vandy by snailmail.
Waitlisted at MEEI. No dates offered.
May or may not visit Cornell. (dec 4 or 5)

Applied to programs all over the country but kind of late for ophtho . . .
Still crossing my fingers to hear from a few more before I start booking non-refundable tix.

Good luck everyone! See you on the trail.

Add NYU/MEENT (phone) Dec 6 and 7. 15 minute interview.
Literally.
I'm crossing back across America for a 15 minute interview.
Jeez.

Add NYU/MEENT (phone) Dec 6 and 7. 15 minute interview.
Literally.
I'm crossing back across America for a 15 minute interview.
Jeez.

truthfully you dont HAVE to cross america for it if you dont want it...i'm sure other people would LOVE to have the opportunity to interview there (I didnt apply, but I'm sure there are plenty who would love the chance)

actually im looking forward to the trips. should be a blast to get to see all these programs! redeyes and all.

btw. handsome rejection from colorado a second ago. the march has begun.

Rejection from UT-houston by snailmail.

where are my invites????? i'm getting really nervous...

Howard University-today via e-mail Nov 29 and Dec 11

same here - don't know if I'll be able to make it though - gotta go to Florida the day before and then to Cali for a TY the day after the 11th - how do u manage that itinerary:confused:

same here - don't know if I'll be able to make it though - gotta go to Florida the day before and then to Cali for a TY the day after the 11th - how do u manage that itinerary:confused:

howard for me as well
i get the impression from the coordinator that the interview is the only event of that day and its not an all day affair....... either that or the coordinator has no idea what's goin on (highly likely)
my advice to you: 1) well planned flights 2) LOTS of coffee

Bascom Palmer via email Dec 12, 13, 14
Cornell via email Dec 4, 5

Brown University... Nov 6, Dec 10

Does anyone who is interviewing on Nov 6th want to switch to Dec 10?

I have Dec 10th but would like Nov 6th.

PM me ASAP if interested.

Cheers!

How did Brown give invites?