Interviews and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Likar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I know it's quite early, but I just got my first rejection from BU even w/o notification of receiving my application!!!! They are fast or perhaps I am that bad!!!!!! Anybody else interviews or rejection?

Just curious which schools are on the roll!!!!!

Have fun:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum!

Don't feel bad. BU was my first rejection as well when I applied in 2004 and now I am in the middle of my 3rd year.

Good luck.

Hi guys
I guess that will be the forum of our upcoming interviews. I am sorry to hear about your rejection.
On the other had I am very happy because BU sent me an invite for an interview. Yeeeeee :) I was very excited and it was totally unexpected since it is still very early.

BU 9/4 via e-mail

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern postmarked 8/27. :/

yeah don't feel bad - BU was also my first rejection last yr and i matched at a program i'm very happy with. BU probably screens apps based on the likelihood you will actually wind up matching there (over/underqualified, geographic bias, etc)

I also recently got the axe from BU. I wasn't really expecting straight out rejections so early.

I also had a question. I have also received a few emails from programs acknowledging receipt of my app and requesting additional info from me (i.e. asking me to send a photo, hardcopy of CV, an additional short paragraph detailing my interest in the program, etc.) Does anyone know if I should take this as a sign I may get an interview (i.e. they don't ask all applicants to do this) or do these types of programs ask all applicants for this info?

Thanks guys.

Are you referring to Bascom and Irvine? :laugh:

I also had a question. I have also received a few emails from programs acknowledging receipt of my app and requesting additional info from me (i.e. asking me to send a photo, hardcopy of CV, an additional short paragraph detailing my interest in the program, etc.) Does anyone know if I should take this as a sign I may get an interview (i.e. they don't ask all applicants to do this) or do these types of programs ask all applicants for this info?

Thanks guys.

there are a few programs that routinely ask for additional information (CV, photo, eye exam and even $35) to further "complete your file" upon receipt of your application.

rush has given invites

I also recently got the axe from BU. I wasn't really expecting straight out rejections so early.

Thanks guys.

Irvine and USCD stick out in my mind as places that asked for extra money/info but never gave me an interview. Lots of programs will ask for you to send a photo and have no intention of ever interviewing you...they are likely screening based on appearance which is pretty shady if you ask me. But I guess with so few residents per program and so few interview spots they need to make sure they're not getting marilyn manson...

what do you write in those little statements about why program xyz?

Boston University shot me down as well.

Rush sent me an email stating that my application is complete- i'm guessing they prob put me on the wait list.

Congrats to those already recieving invitations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys
It has been quite here.
I got an invite today from U of Rochester. I am very excited.
Enjoy your evening :)

UT San Antonio shot out an email toady and asked for an eye exam to be sent in

got my second interview today!!!

University of Oklahoma!!! :)

also did my courtesy interview at USC - Doheny when I did a visiting medical student rotation there (they do it for all visiting med students...a really nice courtesy to be honest)

Hey guys,

For those who heard about interviews, first off, congratulations.

I'd also like to ask a question- if you post an interview, could you put down how you heard (phone, email, letter) and if possible, to put in the available dates that were offered (many of which are not available online or are outdated)? Looking at last year's forum, they did this and both seemed like very helpful info.

Thanks!

sure thing

University of Oklahoma - Nov 19, Nov 26, Dec 10 via EMAIL

I thought I would've gotten more responses from programs by now (I had my app in around August 14th!) and as of now I only have heard of 1 rejection (BU) and ZERO interviews.

I am hearing from other students in the REGULAR match that have received MULTIPLE interviews already. I thought ophtho, being early, would've been sending info already.

Does anyone have any idea when we should start hearing something (even a rejection at this point would be satisfying)?

i heard similar stories from a lot of people in years past...they didnt start hearin til october for a lot of programs...i dont know if it's because they want to have all their information together before deciding on which ppl they want to interview, or what it is...

anyways, yeah i've only received one interview as of yet...no rejections...and 4 schools asking for supplemental information

anyone else have thoughts on this?

good luck everyone and hope to see a lot of you on the interview trail

oct and nov are when it gets busy. i had 2 interviews by the end of sept last year so it sounds like things are the same this year. good luck

i heard similar stories from a lot of people in years past...they didnt start hearin til october for a lot of programs...i dont know if it's because they want to have all their information together before deciding on which ppl they want to interview, or what it is...

anyways, yeah i've only received one interview as of yet...no rejections...and 4 schools asking for supplemental information

anyone else have thoughts on this?

good luck everyone and hope to see a lot of you on the interview trail

What progs asked for supplemental stuff?

What progs asked for supplemental stuff?

so far

Emory (picture)
UC Irvine (CV, Photo and any supplemental info you choose)
Arizona (paragraph stating why I am interested in the program)
Loma Linda (same paragraph as above)

so far that's it

good luck everyone

On the same boat here. I also submitted my application in the middle of august. Only received one interview offer and one rejection and still waiting for the rest.

On the same boat here. I also submitted my application in the middle of august. Only received one interview offer and one rejection and still waiting for the rest.

where'd ya get your interview and rejection from? CONGRATS on the interview and good luck

Hey,

Got phone call today from Loyola!!!! Interview dates are Nov 1st and 2nd

I also called several schools looking for inspiration and

Northwestern is reviewing applications currently up to their deadline Oct 1st...but if i am a "maybe", won't hear from them for a while:-(

Yale will be sending out mail offers next week.

U Wisconsin reviews 100 applications a week started this week...I am in the second batch, so I was told that will hear from them by the end of next week if rejected or interview and whenever if end up in a maybe pile.

Huve Fun:luck:

For anyone who cares- Wilmer will be sending out interviews either tonight or by Monday the latest. It will be an e-mail (I think).

For those of you who decide to come, I am in charge of hospital and satellite location tours this year. The bus has been ordered. We'll have fun.

Good luck!

For anyone who cares- Wilmer will be sending out interviews either tonight or by Monday the latest. It will be an e-mail (I think).

For those of you who decide to come, I am in charge of hospital and satellite location tours this year. The bus has been ordered. We'll have fun.

Good luck!

Will they send outright rejections as well? Or do u just assume that if you don't hear anything?

good luck to you all...i haven't gotten any invites yet. in fact, only program i've got a decision from was BU, which was a rejection.

Hi all,
Received interviews from:
- Northwestern, email, Nov 30th was the only day offered
- Loyola, phone call and text message (that was a bit of a surprise), Nov 1,2

Good :luck: everyone, look forward to running into all of ya!

Hi all,
Received interviews from:
- Northwestern, email, Nov 30th was the only day offered
- Loyola, phone call and text message (that was a bit of a surprise), Nov 1,2

Good :luck: everyone, look forward to running into all of ya!

Programs are sending TEXT messages! haha.

Does the PD have a Myspace/Facebook account by any chance?

U of Florida, Gainesville has sent invites: snail-mail, dates (Dec 3,7,10,14)

Hey guys,

Rochester's interview dates are Oct 5, Oct 19, Nov 5 and Nov 16.

I heard by email.

Best of luck!

Do majority of programs send out rejections or is silence considered a rejection esp. after they have sent out invites to other applicants?

some places flat out sent rejections early but most i would say waited until very late (dec) to send out a rejection. i think many programs wait for handing out rejections just in case applicants cancel (which occurs very often when you end up with program conflicts). so basically it's silence for most programs until the end with the exception of a few...

some places flat out sent rejections early but most i would say waited until very late (dec) to send out a rejection. i think many programs wait for handing out rejections just in case applicants cancel (which occurs very often when you end up with program conflicts). so basically it's silence for most programs until the end with the exception of a few...

Thanks for the clarification. Do you recommend calling programs if they have already sent out invites and see why you haven't gotten one? Or just wait and wait..?

University of Colorado (which has not invited me for an interview or a rejection) emailed me to say that they will interview

"Wednesday, November 28 and Sunday, December 2. If you are invited, we will ask you to pick the ½ day session (morning or afternoon) that works best in your schedule. "

the notifications will be via email in Mid-October

Another rejection.

Rejections so far:
1. BU (email)
2. Vanderbilt (snail mail)

Interviews so far: ZERO

Starting to worry....

Got my first interview today - LSU Shreveport snail mail. Interview dates are Oct 27, Nov 3, Nov 17.

That's a bit of relief since I got rejected from BU and SUMMA.

Hi guys,
Congrats on interviews!!!
Have anybody heard anything from Wilmer so far??? Just curious because previous post said that they will let us know by Monday at the latest...and today is Monday.
Good luck ...we need some luck here :oops:

interviews so far at: UTSW and MCG, both via email. no rejections thus far but give it time and they will come.
congrats to everyone so far and look forward to meeting you guys on the interview trail.

as far as calling and asking about interviews, two PDs said they send out invites on a rolling basis. that being said, i have also heard from some residents that it is a good idea to make sure CAS distributed your app to schools you are very interested in...just in case they didn't.

If you haven’t heard from Wilmer today, don't get discouraged; my info is at the resident level. When exactly Dr. Miller will sit down to write those e-mails is anyone’s guess. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Wednesday...

Hi all again
JJ....when did you get invite from UTSW? And what is the other school MGH?
Thank JR for clarification :oops:

i got an email from both of them last week. and mcg is medical college of georgia.

I've heard from a few programs that my application has been received, and their interview dates (all via email). I have not gotten any offers or rejections (including BU), but am wondering when I should start to get anxious. Any guidelines?

FYI, the interview dates
Albert Einstein College of Medicine: Friday, 12/7, 12/14, and 12/21
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Rush University Medical Center.[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif] :October 17th, 22nd and 26th
.Medical College of Wisconsin: November 1, 2, 15, and 16

got my second interview at UT-Southwestern, their 2 dates

"We are currently scheduling interviews for October 12th and November 2nd. An informal reception will be held at 6:30pm the evening before to give candidates a chance to meet our residents and other staff members in a relaxed setting prior to the interviews, so you would need to be available by late afternoon on the preceding day. Friday's agenda begins with breakfast at 7:30 and finishes around 4:30 or 5:00pm. "

This was via email as well

Is there any value in calling programs to ask if they have my application? I have gotten several notices of a complete application, but definitely not a majority by any means...

Hey all. I don't know that there is much utility in calling programs to verify if they have your application, as long as some said they received it, you can likely assume most have as it's a centralized process. I can't speak for other programs, but the couple in the bay area that i'm familiar with haven't even really started reviewing applications yet...still being sorted and downloaded in anticipation of sending out to faculty for review. Hope this helps some.

Anyone hear anything new from Wilmer on when interview invites will be sent? (if they haven't already?) Good luck to everyone and hope to see you on the interview trail!