Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Batch 6 (got in on target date)

:thumbup:
University of Florida
Nassau
LSU-Shreveport
University of Arkansas
University of South Florida
U Missouri-Columbia
U Missouri-Kansas City
U South Carolina

:thumbup: :thumbdown: (waitlist)
Northwestern

:thumbdown:
Boston University
Med College Georgia
SUNY Buffalo
Ohio State
CWRU
Vanderbilt

gotten face sheet from ~75% my programs

Members don't see this ad.

Just got Mayo by email
Batch # 3

So so far have interviews at:
BU
Tufts
UTSW
Mayo

feeling a little relieved, i was worried i'd not be getting any interviews at all. good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: Henry Ford today !! (phone call)

:thumbup: Interview offers today (10-10)
Mayo: email
U Wisconsin: email

:thumbup: Transitional year program offers today:
Carraway (Birmingham, Al): email
Riverside (Columbus, Oh): email

Seeing as it is Columbus day today, hoping for three more face sheets tomorrow to complete replies from programs.

puzzled said:
I made a list of schools and SDN. Add your name, please. I wonder if having only one or two interviews by now is normal or we should worry.

Is there any way to keep these lists updated without having to post them again?

Thanks.

Rejected from U Minn. by email :(

Hi. This is my first post, but I've been checking the site frequently, so I thought I would join in. Has anyone received anything from Emory or Duke? I have not received face sheets from either program (and also Vanderbilt).

Here are my interviews so far:
UTSW, U of Michigan, Med C GA, Baylor, SLUEI, Loyola, U Florida

No rejects yet...

Browneyedgirl81 said:
Hi. This is my first post, but I've been checking the site frequently, so I thought I would join in. Has anyone received anything from Emory or Duke? I have not received face sheets from either program (and also Vanderbilt).QUOTE]

For Emory, all that I have received is a request for a photo (I don't know if this means anything or not). I also applied (batch#5) to Vanderbilt and have not heard anything.

Recent interview offers:
Northwestern
SLUEI

Actually, I haven't been posting all my interviews. I've only been posting if nobody else has posted that location since, for me, the most interesting thing is know when programs start offering interviews (whether I'm in an early round of offers or a last minute consideration).

Here's my full list as of today (if you're curious):
CPMC
BU
SLU
Mayo
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Baylor
Henry Ford
Rush
Medical College of WI

No rejections as of yet. Batch 2. However, more important than batch number (at this point at least) ... location = Midwest (if you couldn't guess from my interview distribution). I also haven't received confirmation receipts from many programs (including CPMC and Baylor, who obviously must have my application)

Browneyedgirl81 said:
Hi. This is my first post, but I've been checking the site frequently, so I thought I would join in. Has anyone received anything from Emory or Duke? I have not received face sheets from either program (and also Vanderbilt).

Here are my interviews so far:
UTSW, U of Michigan, Med C GA, Baylor, SLUEI, Loyola, U Florida

No rejects yet...

I'm batch #3

I got a request for a photo on the face sheet from Emory during the last week of September. I received Duke's face sheet on 10-8. I am still in the dark with correspondance from Vanderbilt, Baylor, and U Virginia.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BU
CPMC
SLU
Med Coll of Wisconsin
Wisconsin
Minnesota
USC
Baylor
Tufts
Virginia

Batch #3

I recieved an interview from Nassau last monday (10/3) by snail mail
and an email invite to BU today (10/10)
I think I'm batch 5 or 6... I'm not sure
no rejections yet

Members don't see this ad :)
LSU
Texas Tech

When is it appropriate to contact the programs I have not received face sheets from to make sure they have my app? I was in batch 2, so I feel like I should have heard something from these programs by now...

Hey guys, I just wanted to wish everyone good luck in the match this year. Although exausting and expensive, interviewing's actually a lot of fun.

By the way, feel free to PM me if you've got any questions about the places I interviewed at (CPMC, UCLA, Wills, Duke, Casey, Emory, Iowa, Scheie, MEEI, UC Davis, UTSW, Cleveland Clinic, and Case Western)

I know CPMC, Case, and CCF particularly well since I matched at CPMC and I'm from Cleveland.

And feel free to PM me if you'll be in Cleveland and need a place to stay.

Good luck!

Nevermind in regards to my last post: interview offer from Baylor today, via e-mail. :D

Also got an interview offer from Mayo today, via e-mail.

Here goes my drama so far:

Rejections: Oklahoma, BU, Minnesota U, SLU, Baylor.
No Interviews.

Any thoughts on the significance of the submission of the application right after the target deadline?

One program has asked for a photo and another for an eye exam. Any insights if this is in any way significant or just routine?

Good luck to all.

Dilgo6 said:

No Interviews.

Any thoughts on the significance of the submission of the application right after the target deadline?

One program has asked for a photo and another for an eye exam. Any insights if this is in any way significant or just routine?

Good luck to all.

I wouldn't make too much of the no interviews. I only have 2, and 1 is at my home school. It's really too early to have an idea either way how things will turn out. Good luck :luck:

Dilgo6 said:

No Interviews.

Good luck to all.

I wouldn't make too much of the no interviews. I only have 2, and 1 is at my home school. It's really too early to have an idea either way how things will turn out. Good luck :luck:

Rejections: SUNY, Casey, Northwestern

No Interviews. :(

Sorry!
SUNY Downstate

Spitzko said:
Sorry!
SUNY Downstate

Hi Spitzko:

When did you send your aplication?
Are you getting the answers by e-mail?

I just have not heard from any place yet, but I am Batch 7.

Thank you.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mutis,

I am Batch 2. I applied to 45 programs. I still have no news from 14 programs at all. Three places rejected me (two by e-mail, the other by mail) . No interview offers so far.

Mutis said:
Hi Spitzko:

Thank you.

I am batch 7 also. I have started to get some face sheets back. I got interview offers from med college georgia and med college wisconsin. All by email. I think we will just have to wait a few weeks for the rest to come in. Good luck

U Rochester (email)

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this ?. I was wondering if it would look bad if I had to cancel an already scheduled interview at a middle tier program because I was waiting for another program that may interview me on the same date. Is it best to go ahead and schedule the middle-tier program and wait for the responses from the other schools who also have interviews on that day. Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the long post.

doodpac said:
Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this ?. I was wondering if it would look bad if I had to cancel an already scheduled interview at a middle tier program because I was waiting for another program that may interview me on the same date. Is it best to go ahead and schedule the middle-tier program and wait for the responses from the other schools who also have interviews on that day. Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the long post.

I recommend that you schedule your interviews as they are offered to you. If a better program or one that you want to match at offer you an interview, then cancel the interview at the program your less likely to want to match.

People understand that applicants must make choices. Try to cancel the interviews with sufficent advance to allow another applicant to fill your slot.

doodpac said:

dood,
what a great problem to have. ;)

:thumbup: :thumbup:
University of Virginia (email)
University of Texas, Galveston (email)

UT Houston today by phone, but they didn't leave a number and it showed up unavailable on caller ID!

University of Virginia by e-mail
UT Houston by phone
:D

Cook County today by phone. Dr. Ahuja (res director) called me himself! Wow! I didn't expect that -- but perhaps other programs do that, too.
Good luck, guys!

Ophth_06 said:
Rejected from U Minn. by email :(
I ate the dust there too. Don't worry about it.

Thank you Spitzko & Skier
I have started to get some face sheets back.

Mutis said:
Thank you Spitzko & Skier
I have started to get some face sheets back.

Cook County (phone call from director) :thumbup:

Ophtho24 said:
I ate the dust there too. Don't worry about it.
And me. they probably figure no one will really rank them high if they are not from minnesota or one of the dakotas already

Waitlist notification from Northwestern... :confused: I didnt know there were waitlists for residency interviews? Anyways better than a rejection. Batch 3. For med school I wrote letters of interest to programs that waitlisted me, is this what I do for ophtho too? I like chicago a lot, and have heard good things about NWstern, so wondering what to do...

Interview offers since Monday around noon:
Monday:
Baylor (email)
OSU (phone)

Tuesday:
UVA (email)

Thursday:
U Michigan (phone)
and, got a face sheet from UNC

Bye the way, if anyone is interested in splitting a hotel room at interviews feel free to PM me. The most rapidly approaching is UTSW on Oct 28th, Wisconsin on November 4th, and Mayo on November 7th. I have also scheduled other programs as noted in my previous posts.

Hey guys. Congrats to everyone. And regarding U Minn (see quote below) --- I am NOT from Minnesota or the Dakotas, though I AM from WI, so I think your reasoning still stands, Pars Plana.
:thumbup: Also phone call today from Loyola for an interview. Yay!
Again, I was batch 5.

Pars Plana said:
And me. they probably figure no one will really rank them high if they are not from minnesota or one of the dakotas already

Hey guys,

I'm a west coast medical student (with residence in west also) I started off with 4 interviews from the get go (which I am thankful for), but now nothing in over 2 weeks...Rejection so far from Baylor and U minn. I noticed that a lot of midwest programs are offering interviews, and it seems like a lot of students posting are from the midwest also. Are other west coasters out there experiencing a paucity of offers currently? Will this turn around?

Ophth_06 said:
Hey guys,

I'm a west coast medical student (with residence in west also) I started off with 4 interviews from the get go (which I am thankful for), but now nothing in over 2 weeks...Rejection so far from Baylor and U minn. I noticed that a lot of midwest programs are offering interviews, and it seems like a lot of students posting are from the midwest also. Are other west coasters out there experiencing a paucity of offers currently? Will this turn around?
I am on the west coast. I am getting midwest and east coast offers but I think the west coast is waiting till they get a chance to look at everyone's apps before sending out interview offers. That dang west coast "they're so hot right now." But, my offers have slowed down a bit (4 at first, then like 2 a week since then.)

I'm an east coast applicant who got a handful of interviews in september by snail mail...but haven't heard a thing in the last 2 and a half weeks from any program...good or bad. I guess that's how these things go. I'm sure we'll know more in the next month or so. I'm just going to have to try to remain relaxed in the meantime.