Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puzzled

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your interview invites and rejections with you stats, AOA, USMLE, clinical grades

Members don't see this ad.

Over 130 hits and nobody has any interviews?

My first interview offer last year was Loyola and I remember getting a phonecall around Sept 25th. It's still very early.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I have no invites and no rejectons so I really saw no reason to post. Only posting now so that you realize why people didn't respond.

Got 2 Interview Invites:

1. UTSW Dallas
2. Baylor COM

Good Luck on the interview trail everyone!!!

doodpac said:
Got 2 Interview Invites:

1. UTSW Dallas
2. Baylor COM

Good Luck on the interview trail everyone!!!

congrats, doodpac! now we know that the interview invites are finally starting up!

Hi. I got one interview at UW-Madison.

not sure said:
Hi. I got one interview at UW-Madison.

Congrats, that's great! I am curious what the deal is with UW-Madison because I got an email about double secret probation but heard they were a good program. How often does this happen and are they likely to recover?

Regd: UW-Madison.
From what I understand they are a pretty good program. I think they ranked pretty high (#5?) in 2002. I bet they couldn't have changed that much...... For the program to be put on probabtion, their residents must have been pretty unhappy though, but there was a nice thread 'UW-Madison' that kinda gave some insight. IF UW passed their probabtionary status (next year?) I wonder how long it would, or could take for them to rebuild their reputation? Either way I feel happy to get an interview, and I guess visiting Madison will help me to figure out what is going on, and what the residents think.

220, 222 on steps.. have been into Clinical Research for the past 6 months .. send in two manuscripts to Journals ..
Application among 2nd batch going out of SF match.. no interviews yet, 5 rejections .. any hope for me ? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Application in Batch 1 (recv'd by programs 8/25)
U Wisc (8/30, phone)
Nassau (9/2, letter)
SUNY Downstate (9/6, email)
Oklahoma (9/12, email)
LSU Shreveport (9/12, letter)
Northwestern (9/22, email)

U Oklahoma
Boston U
U Rochester

John1975 said:
220, 222 on steps.. have been into Clinical Research for the past 6 months .. send in two manuscripts to Journals ..
Application among 2nd batch going out of SF match.. no interviews yet, 5 rejections .. any hope for me ? :(
Sounds like you have a pretty strong application (with research). I have a 241, research, junior AOA, all As basic sciences, and all but one Honors clinical years and I don't have any interview offers yet. I think this is still very early so I think you have a lot more than hope on your side. Don't get discouraged.

John1975 said:

Its still very early and I would not worry. You have average scores with what seems to be a strong interest and strong research background. Wait until at least the third week of October. I was getting interview offers into December last year. Relax a little and Good luck!

Hey everyone,
i have a really basic question. I submitted my app in late august and I still have no clue about what "batch" I'm in. Do we get an e-mail letting us know that our application has been distributed? Is it way too early for me to be worrying about not hearing from programs?

The batch number is on the top right hand side of the letter we get from programs confirming receipt of our application. Don't worry (or freak out) about not hearing from programs yet. It's just so early.

Just got a USC (Univ. So. California) interview today! :)

3 rejections (Baylor, med col Georgia, BU).
Not the way I would have liked to start...

D.

I am curious to know when you submitted the CAS.

Also, I did not think they would send rejections this early.

Is there a waitlist like there was for medical school?

ML

maz56 said:
I am curious to know when you submitted the CAS.

Also, I did not think they would send rejections this early.

Is there a waitlist like there was for medical school?

ML

Sent on August 21st.
Received by most progs by Sept 6-10.
Batch 2.

Heard from other older applicants that Baylor is known to send rejections (and probably invites) ridiculously early (to the point that I doubt they actually "carefully reviewed" some of the applictions).
In my case I think that the IMG status probably did the trick, since I probably am higher than a Step 1 cutoff they might have.
D

I think you are right..

I called SF Match and was told that they were sending out applications out to the same address as mentioned in the Directory ..apparently these were being re directed to another address. Since the department needs a Separate 'Tulane Application' along with other documents, I had send these out just before Katrina struck. SF Match does not know the new location or a phone number where they can be reached.. does anyone know more about Tulane Ophtho ?

Nothing so far. I was hoping on U of SoCal, but .....
Keep it coming. We all look at this thread (so many came to look but only a few posted).

If others get invites from U of SoCal, please post.

Baylor via email 9/20
BU rejection last week

nothing from usc

again, i would advise against making assumptions about how critically an application is reviewed based upon the timely response to applicants re: interview status. if i recall correctly, baylor interviews very early on in the interview season. some programs do this so they don't have to compete with other programs that interview later on in the season. hang in there demspawn...

demspawn said:
Sent on August 21st.
Received by most progs by Sept 6-10.
Batch 2.

Heard from other older applicants that Baylor is known to send rejections (and probably invites) ridiculously early (to the point that I doubt they actually "carefully reviewed" some of the applictions).
In my case I think that the IMG status probably did the trick, since I probably am higher than a Step 1 cutoff they might have.
D

I mailed my app on August 25th. don't know batch. Got an interview at Medical College of Georgia today. 9/23

Rev: Another one today by phone California Pacific Medical Center :)

BU interview- phew! :D No rejections yet, just some app reciept confirmation letters. Batch 3, sent my application on August 24th or 25th. SF Match mailed it to programs 9/14- almost 3 weeks on the nose. Good luck to everyone. :)

doodpac said:
Just got a USC (Univ. So. California) interview today! :)

What are your stats

:confused:
still no interviews and no batch status....what's taking them so long? I mailed my app on 8/30...I think it's been over three weeks now.

Ok...now I'm just impatient. :smuggrin:

If we did not hear from all these programs UTSW, BU, Wisconsin, CPMS, Nassau, Northwestern, U of SoCal that means no interview?

puzzled said:
If we did not hear from all these programs UTSW, BU, Wisconsin, CPMS, Nassau, Northwestern, U of SoCal that means no interview?

Wait until after November before you worry about that. In this game, no news maybe still good news because they haven't selected all their applicants for interview yet.

Good luck!

Andrew_Doan said:
Wait until after November before you worry about that. In this game, no news maybe still good news because they haven't selected all their applicants for interview yet.

Good luck!

I think this is great advice. it is still VERY early. we're still in september. hang in there. good lick!

rubensan said:
I think this is great advice. it is still VERY early. we're still in september. hang in there. good lick!
If you look at Neurology, also an early program, people, including foreign Applicants, had lots of interviews. Why would Ophthalmology be so late?

Batch 2, Step 1 237.
Interviews at UTSW, OU, Med College of Georgia. Rejection from Baylor. Does anyone know what Baylor's cutoff is?

Thanks.

USC interview today :thumbup:

still no batch status...

lucien said:
Batch 2, Step 1 237.
Interviews at UTSW, OU, Med College of Georgia. Rejection from Baylor. Does anyone know what Baylor's cutoff is?

Thanks.

If you got rejected w/ a 237 then it must be around 240 because I haven't heard anything (good or bad) from Baylor yet. And re: batch #... if you have been getting your slips of paper confirming receipt of your application, just look in the top right corner. Once you get those, you should know. I believe its been printed on every one I've gotten back.

babyblue_39 said:
If you got rejected w/ a 237 then it must be around 240 because I haven't heard anything (good or bad) from Baylor yet.

I got rejected with a 245. My guess is that they looked at the entire application rather than using a cutoff to reject ppl.

puzzled said:
If you look at Neurology, also an early program, people, including foreign Applicants, had lots of interviews. Why would Ophthalmology be so late?

i don't know why ophthalmology programs do the things they do. i too was puzzled during this process last year. i think what dr. doan and i were trying to convey is that historically speaking, based upon previous interview cycles, this is still a relatively early time of the year. the next 3 weeks will be very telling re: the # of interviews you will receive.

As you go on interviews, you will see there is not necessarily a magic cutoff. But generally speaking the higher the stats, the greater the chances for the interview offer. Students with 225 will interview at programs like Baylor and Iowa because of a different strength on their application whereas the 245er will not because programs do realize that numbers are definitely not everything.

On another note, I've noticed that interviews are being given out earlier this year than last. FYI, midwest and west coast programs tend to be the first to reply. Don't count on that for the Northeast ones which tend to be the latest. Most of the NYC programs didn't begin replying until the first week in November last year.

This is a list from people I know at various med school....

CPMC
Long Island Jewish
BU
Baylor
Nassau
Northwestern
UTSW
Oklahoma
SUNY Downstate
USC
St. Louis
MCG

Got a UTSW interview today. woohoo! :thumbup: Batch 3.