Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Strong work GrandmasterB. When I hear about places that you guys have gotten interviews I have to actually stop and think "Did I apply there?" That's when you begin to think that 44 might be too many programs to apply to...

Members don't see this ad.

Called CAS this morning, and the guy said they just sent out a batch yesterday. It is technically the 4th batch, but for some reason it may be labelled "5." He assured me that programs should have received the batch today or at the latest tomorrow.

Also, I have a question re: strategy behind interviews. I would assume for programs who do "rolling" admissions, interviewing earlier is better, while programs that discuss applicants all at the end, interviewing later is preferable? Does anyone know which programs do which?

Thanks! And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
like i said in the title...
hopefully I will be writing again soon with some positive news.
I am currently still without interviews and 3 rejections so far (baylor, bu, mcg)

If this year does not work out, no matter how much it pains me, I will have to start considering other possibilities..

:confused: :( :scared:

surgess said:
Hey babyblue what's your batch number?

Batch 2. I mailed my stuff in mid-August (maybe 17th??), it looks like programs got my stuff early Sept (1-6). Hope that helps.

babyblue_39 said:
Batch 2. I mailed my stuff in mid-August (maybe 17th??), it looks like programs got my stuff early Sept (1-6). Hope that helps.
I'm batch 3. I got an interview from MCG last week. Most of the other programs that people have heard back from, I didn't apply to, but I noticed that you got an answer from Loyola today so I was hoping that you applied earlier than me.

surgess said:
I'm batch 3. I got an interview from MCG last week. Most of the other programs that people have heard back from, I didn't apply to, but I noticed that you got an answer from Loyola today so I was hoping that you applied earlier than me.
Same here. I picked up a new interview from Oklahoma today. I am also in batch 3, and was also hoping to hear from loyola and have not heard either way yet. Maybe this week...

Batch 2
two rejections
one invite
loyola

One invite too, BU, one rejection.

So I found out that I'm batch #5...
so for anyone who turned in their apps around 8/29-8/30 should be batch 5 as well.

I'm a general surgery intern applying and I am very late; I just got my app in this week on Monday. Do programs email you or send you letters in the mail?

Thanks

First of all, since this is my first post, I want to apologize for my login name. In no way am I trying to associate my intellect with that of Albert's! In fact my lack of wit is proven by my inability to find anything punnier :laugh:

I've been lurking for a little while now, and have found you all and this site quite helpful. -thanks.

I sent my application off Sept. 3 and it was recieved by SFMatch Sept. 6 (the day after Labor Day). When I called SFMatch in the morning on Sept. 17, they said that my app was going out that afternoon and should be received by programs Monday or Tuesday (Sept. 19 or 20). On Sept. 27, I received the notice from UW that they are on probation. Sept 28 I received an interview invite from OU, and notice of application receipt from MCW and SLUEI. Today I called SFMatch again, to find out what batch I was in, and I was told that my app actually didn't go out until Monday of this week (Sept 26), and that programs should have received it either the 27th or 28th. They said I was in batch #5.
Although I originally thought I had made Mayo's deadline (Sept 19), this new info had me concerned, so I sent Mayo an e-mail today to see if they were going to reject my app. Thankfully they said that they will review "ALL" applications. However, she also said that although my name is on the "master CAS list," they have not received my application yet.

Should I be concerned about this? I'm becoming a little anxious waiting for interview offers to come in, but if not all of the programs have my app yet, I guess that could at least partially explain it, right? But how could OU have offered me an interview before other programs even got the app? I thought the apps were supposed to go out to all of the programs at the same time.

Sorry for the rambling. I will wait to write again until I am a little more disciplined.

Thanks for all the great posts that I have been reading that past month or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent out my application in the 2nd week of August and the appl. was sent out to programs on the 6th of Sep !! As far as I know, only Batch 1 went out before Labor day.. I started receiving receipt confirmations from the 9th of September (the earliest was GWU). The bulk of the receipts came in about 2 weeks after that. Its interesting that am still receiving receipts - the latest was today from Arkansas. They sent it out on the 28th of Sep. So are the programs receiving applications at different times or are they sending out the receipts at different times ?
One thing that the SF Match told me was that some programs like to receive the CAF in a CD format, while others like the paper format. Maybe this also partially explains this huge variation.

Is it "good form" to call up programs or is it shunned upon.
I applied quite widely and have only gotten receipts from 5/8 of the progs.
Should I start calling up the rest or just sit tight?

D.

SamuelAdams said:
I'm a general surgery intern applying and I am very late; I just got my app in this week on Monday. Do programs email you or send you letters in the mail?

Thanks

both...a couple even call.

if application receipts don't start coming with increasing frequency by next week, i would give SFmatch another call to clarify when your app was sent. hang in there.

Eye(n)Stye(n) said:
I sent my application off Sept. 3 and it was recieved by SFMatch Sept. 6 (the day after Labor Day). When I called SFMatch in the morning on Sept. 17, they said that my app was going out that afternoon and should be received by programs Monday or Tuesday (Sept. 19 or 20). On Sept. 27, I received the notice from UW that they are on probation. Sept 28 I received an interview invite from OU, and notice of application receipt from MCW and SLUEI. Today I called SFMatch again, to find out what batch I was in, and I was told that my app actually didn't go out until Monday of this week (Sept 26), and that programs should have received it either the 27th or 28th. They said I was in batch #5.
Although I originally thought I had made Mayo's deadline (Sept 19), this new info had me concerned, so I sent Mayo an e-mail today to see if they were going to reject my app. Thankfully they said that they will review "ALL" applications. However, she also said that although my name is on the "master CAS list," they have not received my application yet.

Should I be concerned about this? I'm becoming a little anxious waiting for interview offers to come in, but if not all of the programs have my app yet, I guess that could at least partially explain it, right? But how could OU have offered me an interview before other programs even got the app? I thought the apps were supposed to go out to all of the programs at the same time.

Sorry for the rambling. I will wait to write again until I am a little more disciplined.

Thanks for all the great posts that I have been reading that past month or so.

i think programs send out receipts at different times.

John1975 said:
I sent out my application in the 2nd week of August and the appl. was sent out to programs on the 6th of Sep !! As far as I know, only Batch 1 went out before Labor day.. I started receiving receipt confirmations from the 9th of September (the earliest was GWU). The bulk of the receipts came in about 2 weeks after that. Its interesting that am still receiving receipts - the latest was today from Arkansas. They sent it out on the 28th of Sep. So are the programs receiving applications at different times or are they sending out the receipts at different times ?
One thing that the SF Match told me was that some programs like to receive the CAF in a CD format, while others like the paper format. Maybe this also partially explains this huge variation.

More Interview Notices:
Nassau
Texas Tech

Both via snail mail today!!

Rush University via "snail mail" - post marked 9/30

Hey Everyone,
I'm excited I can finally post something. I was batch 5. Received snail mail invite to Nassau today. No rejections yet.
The other stuff originally asked about:
USMLE 1: 225
AOA: no
Clerkships:
Surg: honors
Med: high pass
Ophtho: honors
Surg sub-i: honors

Good luck to everyone and keep posting!

Got another interview today. St. Louis via email. I also figured out that I am batch 3 for what that is worth.

"if application receipts don't start coming with increasing frequency by next week, i would give SFmatch another call to clarify when your app was sent. hang in there."

Well, the application receipts started to fly in over the weekend. Between Saturday and today, I have received 15 acknowledgements from the 45 programs I applied to. I'm sure more will come in the next few days. Hopefully more interviews will be in the next group as well.
Some of the programs stamped the receipt indicating that they received my applicaiton 9/26-9/28. I am batch#5.

So far - Oklahoma and Texas Tech. interviews.

mcw today!
They paged --- so don't abandon your pager!

UIC (10/4, email)! :love: hehe

Step 1 220-240
AOA
Interviews: UTSW, BU, Tufts

:thumbup:
BU
CPMC
Southwestern
Northwestern

:thumbdown:
baylor

(all e-mail)

Rejected by baylor today as well. First reject. 241 and junior AOA.

Wow! Shows you just how random the application process can be!!

One more - Henry Ford, phone call. Just passed the statistical threshold for matching... :love:

Texas Tech
LSU
Kreiger Sinai
Temple
Albany
NYMC B&Q
Tulane
Med. C. Virginia
Downstate
Tufts
Emory
PSU
St. Lukes NY
St. Vincents NYMC
Kresge
Penn-Scheie
WashU
Drexel

Ended up going to 2/3 of these
Rejections-Too Many to mention

CPMC
Baylor
Loyola
Boston U
Northwestern
Baylor
Tufts

step1 234

rejected at bu

not the start I was looking for :(

hey guys,
I propose that everyone that posts should remind everyone else what batch they're in...

I heard that my application was "on hold" at Casey in Oregon.

Batch #5

OSU today by phone

Batch 1
WVU (10/5, phone)
Cook County (10/6, phone)

LSU Shreveport today by snail mail. Batch 3. Diopter you seem to have gotten a lot of interviews and some excellent ones. Mind posting your stats I feel that many of us would be interested. Or just me.

Boston U.
Tufts
Yale
SUNY Downstate
Nassau
North-Shore LIJ, NY
U. Rochester
MC Georgia
Cook County
NorthWestern
Rush
U. Illinois
Loyola
U. Wisconsin
West Virginia U
U. Texas SouthWestern
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oregon HSU; Casey
U. Oklahoma
Summa Health, Akron
Ohio State University
Louisiana State U, Shreveport
Henry Ford, MI
St. Louis U.

Please add to the list if there are any missing.

John1975 said:
Boston U.
Tufts
Yale
SUNY Downstate
Nassau
North-Shore LIJ, NY
U. Rochester
MC Georgia
Cook County
NorthWestern
Rush
U. Illinois
Loyola
U. Wisconsin
West Virginia U
U. Texas SouthWestern
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oregon HSU; Casey
U. Oklahoma
Summa Health, Akron
Ohio State University
Louisiana State U, Shreveport
Henry Ford, MI
St. Louis U.

Please add to the list if there are any missing.
California Pacific
Medical College of Wisconsin

Hey, Nylee... I ALSO heard my app was "on hold" at Casey Eye Institute.

Also first reject from BU.

Batch #5

nylee said:
hey guys,
I propose that everyone that posts should remind everyone else what batch they're in...

I heard that my application was "on hold" at Casey in Oregon.

Batch #5

Ophtho24 said:
LSU Shreveport today by snail mail. Batch 3. Diopter you seem to have gotten a lot of interviews and some excellent ones. Mind posting your stats I feel that many of us would be interested. Or just me.

psh... All I've shown is a knack for "applying broadly" ;) and early... I'm sure my stats are as confusing to programs, as they are to me, and my invites from these 'early responders' are a reflection of my Batch 1-ness, where I wasn't immediately screened out when compared to all you stellar applicants (ahem, ms. babyblue).

Step 1- the mean, Grades- no honors, Med Skool- middle tier (but solid ophtho program)
Letters- 3 big ophtho peeps from home institution (2 MD, 1 PhD) + Medicine letter
Aways- MEEI, UCSF, USC
Research- 10yrs basic science: predoc work in retina, PhD work in neuroscience, super-distracted-postdoc during M3 year in retina, Grass Fellowship last summer on a retina project

Most importantly: high hopes and low expectations :)

lilybriscoe said:
Hey, Nylee... I ALSO heard my app was "on hold" at Casey Eye Institute.

Also first reject from BU.

Batch #5

FYI, I looked on Casey Eye Institutes web site and they state that all interview invites will be on or after 10/31 once all applications have been reviewed.

:thumbup: Interviews:
UTSW offered 9-21 via email
U Florida offered 10-7 via snail mail (mailed 10-3)

:confused: Have not received confirmation (face sheets, emails, anything) from:
Baylor
Vanderbilt
U Virginia

:) No rejections thus far.

Batch #3, Step I > 250, Step II > 250, Honors in all but 2 third year rotations, awaiting senior AOA status.

diopter said:
Step 1- the mean, Grades- no honors, Med Skool- middle tier (but solid ophtho program)
Letters- 3 big ophtho peeps from home institution (2 MD, 1 PhD) + Medicine letter
Aways- MEEI, UCSF, USC
Research- 10yrs basic science: predoc work in retina, PhD work in neuroscience, super-distracted-postdoc during M3 year in retina,
Grass Fellowship last summer on a retina project

Uhhh... I think your scores may not be that big, but this research is incredible. I would say most of us don't have anything even close to this. I don't see how you did three aways by the time of applying either. Looking over your stuff I just can't believe the enormity of your ophtho accomplishments. Well this is actually very good to hear, I go to a small name med school, so I was hoping you wouldn't respond "big name med school, with big name ophtho dept average board scores weak grades and no research." You certainly deserve the interviews you are getting and I would hardly attribute them to your early app or broad application. strong work.

loggerd said:
:thumbup: Interviews:
UTSW offered 9-21 via email
U Florida offered 10-7 via snail mail (mailed 10-3)

:confused: Have not received confirmation (face sheets, emails, anything) from:
Baylor
Vanderbilt
U Virginia

:) No rejections thus far.

Batch #3, Step I > 250, Step II > 250, Honors in all but 2 third year rotations, awaiting senior AOA status.

loggerd,

I'm in a similar situation: Batch #2, Step I > 240, Step II > 260, all honors except 1 third-year rotation, and junior AOA, but I haven't even received facesheets from these three programs. Does anyone have any info?

I made a list of schools and SDN. Add your name, please. I wonder if having only one or two interviews by now is normal or we should worry.

Attachments

• Baylor.doc
    28 KB · Views: 141
  • Doodpack.doc
    29 KB · Views: 122