Interviews 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejections also being sent out:
UNC, Duke, UAB:thumbdown:
via email...
but yeah on new mexico!

Members don't see this ad.

Heard from Loyola and Rush yesterday...

Still waiting on USC+LAC and UCLA...maybe November

Do programs always send rejection letters? Or do they just not ask you for an interview? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from Carolinas Medical Center. Haven't heard anything from UNC, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, and Miami.

Obgyn-tx, sorry to hear about those rejections. I'm sure I have a few coming my way. Were they emails or snail mail?

Anyone with recent UCSF interview invites? I haven't heard about anyone getting interviews from them in a few weeks.

Anyone hear anything personalized from the Brigham? I've only received the standard "we've received your app" and "please remember to have everything in by nov 1" emails.

Anyone hear anything personalized from the Brigham? I've only received the standard "we've received your app" and "please remember to have everything in by nov 1" emails.

Brigham said they would send an email by November 7 to notify you whether you would receive an interview invite or not...

Dry spells make me nervous. At long last, my last letter writer got his LOR in on Tuesday, completing my file with the exception of the MSPE. All of the programs have downloaded it, but no love since then. I wonder if, at this point, they'll just wait for the MSPE... trying to remain calm. :scared:

Edited to say: What a difference 9 hours makes! So long dry spell, hello rain. Rainy Portland, that is. Add OHSU to my list. Woohoo! :)
That makes 7 for me - Penn, Cornell, Stanford, OHSU, UCI, LIJ, and Kaiser LA.

First interview is this Friday (resident dinner on Thursday) and I'm definitely starting to get nervous . . . and I don't even want to go to this program (practice interview)!!

:scared:

Any last minute advice about questions to ask or smart answers to questions we'll be asked? Any recent Ob-Gyn stuff in the news (besides Plan B)

Ack! How many days til March 15th!!!!

Heard from Illinois-chicago and Maricopa. Have first interview this Tuesday! Wish me luck :)

Scott and White
UTHSCSA
University of Arizona,
TX Tech (El Paso)
St. Joe's Denver
Methodist Houston
UTMB
UNM
Phoenix Integrated
Methodist Dallas
JPS
Baylor- Houston
Parkland
UTMB Austin

Rejections: CU (CO)- recv'd it today :(

UAB
Emory
Baylor - Houston
Baylor - Dallas
UMiami
UMDNJ
Duke
Albert Einstein - Montefiore
Albert Einstein - Beth Israel

Rejection: Mayo clinic
Wait Listed: Johns Hopkins

Anyone else get Tufts today???? Kind of weird timing....I've had a lull now for like 10 days. Seems like if you are going to wait this long, you might as well wait for the dean's letter.

Not that I'm complaining.:D

By the way, is anyone else interviewing at Emory this weekend?????

Members don't see this ad :)
got tufts today as well! it was the break in my lull as well...hopefully they'll keep on coming!

Nov 1st is fast approching. Hopefully after MSPE letter gets uploaded, more interview will come, and if not I am happy with what I got so far.
Here is my list

Drexel (PA)-11/18 Sat
Temple (PA)-11/29 wed
Christiana (DE)-12/1 friday
UMDNJ Camden (NJ)-12/8 friday
Uni Buffalo (NY)-12/13 wed
SUNY Upstate Syracuse (NY)-12/15 fridaySt Francis (CT)-1/18 thursday

:thumbup: Good luck to everyone who has interview!!!!!!!!!

UW
UT Houston LBJ
UT Houston MHH
Vandy
UNC
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
UAB
Miami

Still waiting on a bunch more, hopefully after dean's letters this week . . .:idea:

Now it is getting complicated....I have interviews on every day that I was offered an interview at Drexel! I am thinking if they can't get me any other date, I should cancel one of my others...one of the Rutger's programs. Anyone have any thoughts on which one they would cancel or if I should cancel? I feel a little nervous about cancelling interviews as I was told I should rank at least nine programs and 11 inteviews doesn't leave me much room to not like places, if you know what I mean.

Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
UMDNJ- both New Brunswick and Camden
Maimonides- Brooklyn
Monmouth Medical Center
New York Methodist
Western Pennsylvania Hospital
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel

Advise anyone????? :confused:

Drop Maimonides......I have personal experience there....great faculty...the worst residents ever

Hopefully invites will start flowing again after Dean's letters go out. Here's my interview list for anyone else like me applying mostly to California...

UC Irvine
UC Davis
Harbor-UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
Loma Linda
Kaiser Permanente - Oakland
Kaiser Permanente - Santa Clara
Kaiser Permanente - Los Angeles
UNC (I did apply outside CA ;) )

I hope everyone's as anxious as I am for Nov 1st to get here!

I heard from UAB finally!
UAB 12/11
Emory 1/6
Duke 12/15
UNC 12/16
UVA 12/20
Brown 11/28
Northwestern 12/2
Wake Forest 12/9
Case UH 11/10
Case Metro/CCF 11/15
Pittsburgh 11/18

Still waiting on Brig/Women's and never did hear from Penn :( - but a lot of other people did hear from them... don't know what to think about that.

Still waitlisted at Hopkins :confused:

Hopefully I will see a bunch of you on the interview trail. Good luck! :luck:

Are you sure people have heard from University of Pennsylvania? I know people have invites from Pennsylvania hospital, but that's a different animal. Either way, I'm still waiting on UPenn as well. AND my deans office still hasn't uploaded my MSPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is going on???:eek:

Yay! Adding Cedars-Sinai to my list today. So, to update:

Weill-Cornell
Long Island Jewish
University of Pennsylvania
Stanford
Cedars-Sinai
Kaiser-LA
UC Irvine
OHSU

For those of you interviewing at Duke, which hotel are you staying at? I'm totally unfamiliar with the area and was wondering if anyone knew of anything close by.

Muchas gracias!

Oooh, today's a good day. Just heard from Kaiser SF. :) Also, in a moment of last-minute panic (go figure :confused: ), I tossed in applications to 3 more programs today. Just for some extra piece of mind...

I heard from UAB finally!
UAB 12/11
Emory 1/6
Duke 12/15
UNC 12/16
UVA 12/20
Brown 11/28
Northwestern 12/2
Wake Forest 12/9
Case UH 11/10
Case Metro/CCF 11/15
Pittsburgh 11/18

Still waiting on Brig/Women's and never did hear from Penn :( - but a lot of other people did hear from them... don't know what to think about that.

Still waitlisted at Hopkins :confused:

Hopefully I will see a bunch of you on the interview trail. Good luck! :luck:

Dude.. that's definitely overkill. Save some money as you can easily slash 4-5 programs..

GL

Rejection from vanderbilt today...sigh....

Beth Israel today! Yay!:D

What is a decent number of interviews to go to? I've heard 15 but then someone just told me 11 is too many. I know it depends on the number of programs you apply to and how competitive of a candidate you are and I've heard that one should always rank 10 programs but of the 10, what should be the breakdown in terms of how many are really competitive, medium competitive, and safety?

thanks!

Got Cedar-Sinai today too! But they only gave me one available date for an interview and it's in 2 weeks. Was that the case with you Pfannenstiel? I should be super excited but I have to find a plane ticket back to Cali with such a short notice and it's probably gonna cost me big time. :eek:

JZZZZZZZs, that's bizarre. They offered me five dates to choose from. Two in November (15 and 29), one in December (6), and two in January (10 and 17). Perhaps you could ask for a later date?

I'm with you on this one Calot. I've heard 10 programs on your rank list is pretty safe. So I'm shooting to interview more than that because i know i'll interview at some schools that i just don't have a flavor for. so 15 though it sounds like a lot, if you can get to all of them without running out of cash sounds good. hopefully i won't get burned out by then.

What is a decent number of interviews to go to? I've heard 15 but then someone just told me 11 is too many. I know it depends on the number of programs you apply to and how competitive of a candidate you are and I've heard that one should always rank 10 programs but of the 10, what should be the breakdown in terms of how many are really competitive, medium competitive, and safety?

thanks!

When it rains, it pours. Just heard from Drexel. That makes 10.

Penn
Drexel
Cornell
LIJ
OHSU
KP-SF
Stanford
KP-LA
Cedars-Sinai
UCI

In answer to the "how many" question - our dean wants everybody to be able to rank 10 programs (regardless of specialty). To that end, I plan to interview at 12-14, so that I have some room to reject schools where I get a lousy vibe.

Dude.. that's definitely overkill. Save some money as you can easily slash 4-5 programs..

GL

Really? I didn't think that was too many. Seems about average since everyone has been saying to rank about 10 programs minimum. So I will be ranking about 12 total if I throw out one or two.

I am driving to about half of my interviews (Case-UH, Case-CCF/Metro, Pittsburgh, UVA, Duke, UNC) so that helps.

my dean told me that ranking 7 will be safe for ob/gyn. so i was hoping to interview at 9-10 places.. I applied to mostly in northeast, all places that I could drive to, so hopefully that will keep the cost down a little.

Updated list
Baylor
Duke
Emory
Albert Einstein
UMDNJ
UAB
Miami
UPenn
LAC + USC

I just got USC as well....i feel like I've been waiting for the other cali programs forever.......:idea:

Pfannenstiel,
I got my invite pretty late yesterday. I think they were already booked up for all the other dates. So I'm gonna bite the bullet and go on such short notice. Have you decided on a date yet?

BTW, does anyone know when the following Cali schools are interviewing? UCI, Stanford, UCD, UCSF and UCLA? I know some of you have gotten UCI and Stanford interviews already. I appreciate the info!

Good luck to everyone!!!! :D

Hey JZ,
I'll be interviewing at Cedars on the later side: January 10th. When I heard from Stanford (on 10/16), they were offering: November 13, December 9, and December 11. UCI interviews on Fridays and was offering (as of 10/18): 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15, 1/5, 1/12, and 1/26. I'm fairly certain that UCLA hasn't sent anything out yet. Hope that helps. :)

anyone have thoughts on a male app who is average in all categories or slightly above, who hasn't heard from a lot of programs that people have heard from either with interview offers or rejection? i guess my thoughts are that i haven't been offered yet becuase i am not a good enough candidate outright and possibly haven't been rejected yet because i am a guy (the affirmative action of OB/GYN). if i do get interviews at this point should i think that it is a sincere offer to be at that program or consider myself a fringe candidate?

Maybe I'm an optimist, dr. know, but I think that all invitations to interview are sincere. If the program wasn't interested, it wouldn't make the offer. Are there degrees of interest? Sure. But I like to think of interview day as a level playing field. They've already looked at all of your stats and decided that they're good enough. Now they want to make sure that you're not a freak. So, go in there and show them how you'd make an excellent contribution to their 2007-8 intern class. Even if they do invite you as a "fringe" candidate - that needn't be their assessment of you when you leave. Good luck! And welcome to the sorority... ;)

Dr. Know,
I totally agree with pfannenstiel. I think that any program who extends an invitation is sincerely interested in seeing if a)you would be interested in coming to their program and b) as stated above, making sure you're not a freak show. I know its really stressful right not but I would TRY (emphasis on try part :oops: ) to keep in mind that you are a commodity as well. And the fact that you're male, well, that just makes you a rare commodity!

Best of luck.

I heard from Abington, PA yesterday after a 2 week lull, so updated list.
Already interviewed any Albany and SUNY Upstate.
Up and coming
Danbury
Drexel
St. Francis
Bridgeport
Abington
Penn State
York
Reading
St. Luke's or Lankenau (schedule the same day...need to choose b/w them?)
Leigh High Valley

Programs still wishing to hear from (baystate, UMass, and UCONN). I haven't given up hope just yet. :)

Dude, I'm LOVING this week. Just got an invite from Northwestern. :D

Pfannensteil
Thanks for the dates. I'm gonna contact UCI and see if they want to interview me or not while I'm out there in Cali.

add Stanford and BIDMC (Boston)

still waiting on a few more...hopefully by the end of next week all the programs will be caught up. i wonder when the latest is that one can hear from a program? because as people run out of time and money, you think that people will start declining invites and more spots will open up? or do programs send out invites assuming that not 100% of invitees will respond in the affirmative? this whole process is making me contemplate taking out a 2nd residency relocation loan...

So, I heard from Abington and Einstein in Philly this week. Also, Univ. of Pittsburg had made a mistake when downloading my application and wrote me saying it was not complete when it was...totally frustrating! I was never able to work out a time with Drexel that didn't conflict with other interviews, so as of now, I am waitlisted. Hoping someone cancels and I get a slot.

The list:
Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
UMDNJ- both New Brunswick and Camden
Maimonides- Brooklyn
Monmouth Medical Center
New York Methodist
Western Pennsylvania Hospital
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel (waitlisted)
Abington PA
Einstein PA

Still waiting on UPenn (I am losing hope that they will ever offer me one...it was a long shot anyway) and St. Peter's University Hospital in New Brunswick...has anyone heard of anyone getting invites from this program?

The list grows. Just heard from Pennsylvania Hospital program in Philly. :) That makes:

Cornell
LIJ
Penn
Pennsylvania Hospital
Drexel
Northwestern
OHSU
Stanford
Kaiser SF
Kaiser LA
Cedars-Sinai
UC Irvine