Interviews 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bellalou - that stinks! Here is a # on the ERAS pamphlet our school passed out... (202) 828-0413.

Members don't see this ad.

Woohoo! Got some love from Penn this morning! :D

That makes 4: Cornell, LIJ, Kaiser LA, and Penn

And, for people worrying that it's getting late, I'm still waiting for 2 LORs to come in - and the student affairs office at my school is telling us not to worry as many programs (esp more competitive programs) don't extend interviews until after November 1 (Dean's letter).

Here is my list:
Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
UMDNJ- both New Brunswick and Camden
Maimonides- Brooklyn
Monmouth Medical Center

I also got the email from Pennsylvania Hospital that they won't give out interviews until the application is complete. I am still waiting on one LOR.

I am getting very nervous that I waited too long to apply :( It does feel like it is getting late, even though I know many programs wait until later to invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
For people waiting on UVA, they are just now starting to review apps and won't be offering interviews until about 1-2 weeks from now.

Thanks for your help everyone about my ERAS problem. I did hear from ERAS, and the program will have to re-download my files.

Good luck!!

Have a good weekend.:)

I think we all just want to feel important, but here's my list to "try to be helpful:"

Louisville
Cincinnati
Indiana
Orlando
Ohio State

Just completed my application this week (got LoRs in), hopefully the schools who've "downloaded" my ERAS app--really have! Haven't heard "officially" from my home school yet.

Woohoo! Got some love from Penn this morning! :D

That makes 4: Cornell, LIJ, Kaiser LA, and Penn

And, for people worrying that it's getting late, I'm still waiting for 2 LORs to come in - and the student affairs office at my school is telling us not to worry as many programs (esp more competitive programs) don't extend interviews until after November 1 (Dean's letter).

Congrats...was it the university of pennsylvania that you heard from or penn state?

thanks.

So I emailed Pittsburgh to see if they had looked at my app, and they said that they didn't get my letters, transcript, USMLE transcript etc and my ERAS tracking program says that Pitt has downloaded everything (except MSPE of course). So that is scary!!!!!!

I emailed ERAS yesterday and haven't heard from them.

Anyone know of a phone number to call?

Just some info for people waiting for interviews. I guess it is a good thing to confirm that they got all of your stuff.

:mad:

What do you say in your e-mails to the program coodinator when asking if they've reviewed your app?

updated list:

Is there a polite way to decline interviews? I'm starting to realize that there is no way financially that I am going to be able to get all of this done :scared: Trying to coordinate this is kinda starting to be a nightmare...

I usually just say thank you for the interview but that unfortunately I am going to respectfully decline due to conflicting interview dates and financial limitations...

Go check your ERAS mailbox, Northwestern just sent out an invite!!!:)

The list so far...

UCSF
Baylor
Emory
Hopkins
University of Chicago
Duke
Northwestern

Ya'll, I'm getting heartburn just thinking about how much this is going to cost.

Update: I heard from MUSC last Monday. Has anyone heard back from UT-Houston (Memorial Hermann Hosp) yet? Now only waiting from UT-Houston (MHH), Shands-Jax, Vandy, and Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte).

Updated list:

Bayfront (FL)
Emory
Orlando
Wake Forest
Duke
University of South Florida
University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina

Still waiting on one LOR, which will hopefully be in by the end of the week. Still waiting on 9 programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there take backsies after accepting an interview? Has anyone cancelled an interview after signing up for it? I don't know what to do but I signed up for one interview and I know I am not interested in that program but I don't know if it is acceptable to cancel:( If anyone has any advice it would be great! Good luck to everyone! Here is my list so far

Wash U
U of Vermont
Indiana
U of Minnesota
U of Utah
Northwestern
Dartmouth

Hairspray - it's acceptable to cancel an interview, just do it early so the spot can be made available to someone else. Call the program coordinator, be polite, and tell them you are withdrawing your application and when your interview date was scheduled for. Give a reason, such as schedule conflict or rising travel cost, etc.
Good luck.

updated list:

Dartmouth
Duke
UNC
Jefferson
Hopkins
Brown
Mount Sinai
U Chicago
Northwestern
Cornell
UMDNJ

What do you say in your e-mails to the program coodinator when asking if they've reviewed your app?

I usually write an email something like this:

Dear so and so:

I recently applied, and I am very interested in your program. I wanted to confirm that you have received all of my application, which is complete except the MSPE. I would also like to know what interview dates you have available so I may plan in case I am offerered an interview. Thank you very much.

:)

I hope that helps. I have heard of other people's ERAS showing that a program had downloaded their files an the programs not getting the app. That is very scary!

Good luck to all!

I heard from Northwestern on Friday at 6 pm. I wish I would have checked my email this weekend!

So my list:
Case - UH
Case - Metro/Cleveland Clinic
Emory
Northwestern
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
Brown

Still waiting on:
UAB
Pittsburgh
U Penn
UVA
MCV

"wait-listed" for interview at Hopkins :(

Hey, anyone who is interviewing at Mt. Sinai, have they gotten back to you??? I sent an email back accepting the interview with my date choices, and have yet to hear back. I sent a follow up email....still no word. I hate to stalk them, but I was curious to see if you all were confirmed yet. Thanks!

Due to the ever omnipotent ob/gyn forum, I got my confirmation from Mt. Sinai immediately after last post. Please disregard!

I heard from univ. of kentucky via snail mail today. Also got an email from MCV saying please make sure your application is complete and we will be sending out invites in 1-2 weeks.

Got one today from Parkland!

And I already had...
UCSF
Baylor
Emory
Hopkins
University of Chicago
Duke
Northwestern

Has anybody heard from UDub? Their app deadline was today and I thought I saw one person had an interview from there; just wondering if they'd sent out another batch of invites yet. Also still waiting to hear from Yale, Brigham, Pitt, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, Denver, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Brown, Wash U, Michigan, Iowa and UNC. [Now that I'm seeing 'em all typed out, I don't know why I applied to so many places.]

Hi!

I'm new, but happy to read that everyone appears to be receiving great interviews :D

For those of you who've heard from Emory - were your applications complete? Similarly, do you know if they filled all their interview spots? Do you think it's worth sending an interest email?

I'm really interested in this program and would like to hear your experiences thus far.

Thanks and Happy Crabby Monday.

Heard from Stanford today, that makes 5. :)

Cornell
UPenn
Stanford
Kaiser LA
LIJ (Einstein)

Sadly, on the day of the UW deadline, I find myself 1 letter short of a full app. Stupid letter writer... :(

been sort of slow for me in the last two weeks...anyone know if e-mailing or calling the programs helps at all?

Okay, Stanford for me as well today. New Revised list:

Hopkins
Pitt
Univ Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
UNC
Duke
Emory
Parkland
Baylor
Mt. Sinai
Stanford

Still no love from ucsf,ucla,ucsd,uci, usc, cornell, columbia, nyu, brigham, beth, tufts, or penn...:rolleyes:

been sort of slow for me in the last two weeks...anyone know if e-mailing or calling the programs helps at all?

last week was a slow one for me too. I was thinking about contacting programs but didn't and yesterday got two: Baystate/Tufts and U Mass. I will probably email programs that I realy care about if I don't hear from them around 1st week of Nov.

Updated list:

Dartmouth
Duke
UNC
Jefferson
Hopkins
Brown
Stanford
U Chicago
Northwestern
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
UMDNJ

still waiting on: UPenn, Yale, NYU, Columbia, Brigham, Beth Israel, UCLA, UCSF

Hi!

I'm new, but happy to read that everyone appears to be receiving great interviews :D

For those of you who've heard from Emory - were your applications complete? Similarly, do you know if they filled all their interview spots? Do you think it's worth sending an interest email?

I'm really interested in this program and would like to hear your experiences thus far.

Thanks and Happy Crabby Monday.

Hi - I got my Emory interview after submitting profile, CAF, transcript, and USMLE transcript. I did not have any LoRs in yet.

I definitely think it is worth sending an interest mail. Just because ERAS says that they downloaded your app doesn't mean that they really did receive it. It is a good idea to confirm that they received the app and to express interest in the program. Also you can find out what interview dates they have available so you can schedule appropriately. Good luck!:luck:

Things have also slowed down for me and I am still waiting on 10 programs, which are high up on my list.

For those people who got interviews from programs in Philly, were your applications complete? I know Pennsylvania Hospital waits for complete apps, but what about Penn, Drexel, and Thomas Jefferson?

Just have to ask to feed the neurotic tendencies :)

MichiMo - I heard from Penn with an incomplete app (only 1 of 3 LORs in, otherwise complete), but I also applied to Jeff, Pennsy, and Drexel and haven't heard yet. I'm still one LOR short of a full app... which is really starting to aggrevate me.

Asheville 11/10 (practice)
Bayfront 11/13 (practice)
Carolinas Med. Ctr 11/18
UF 11/20
12/8 MUSC
12/15 Duke
1/6 UNC

I haven't scheduled Vanderbilt, MCV, UVA yet . . . still debating.
Turned down MCG, UT-Chattanooga.
Too many interviews!! My Dean said to apply to 15-20, but it was too much, I think.
I am definitely NOT AOA, low-middle third of class, Step 1 228, good extracurriculars and research (but I don't think people really care about that stuff) . . . so don't worry, UNC will write soon!
;)

I heard from Drexel and Thomas Jefferson last week.

Ones I've scheduled
Cornell
Sinai NYC
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Winthrop (Long island)
North Shore
Stonybrook
Lenox Hill
Maimonides

Probably declining: LIJ, Westchester, NY Downtown, baystate

Still in pins and needles for Columbia and NYU. Have lost hope for Penn....and no one in Boston (Brigham, BI, BU) is talking yet...

Hey OB2B,
Was your app complete when you heard from Drexel and Jeff? Also, just curious, what made you decide to schedule north shore, but decline LIJ? I'm also looking at both.

Updating my list...

UCSF
Baylor
Emory
Hopkins
University of Chicago
Duke
Northwestern
Parkland
Iowa

Y'know, from reading everyone's list and closely examining my own, I get the sense they're just putting our names in a big bag and pulling them out. Is it too hasty to email Program Coordinators right now asking if they've received my application and had a chance to review it yet? I'm actually still waiting for my ob sub-I grade to go on my transcript (OH SWEET JESUS. It's been almost 3 effing months. C'mon people, get your **** together.) ,so maybe I should wait until I know that updated transcript has been submitted, then email them.

Oops, looks like SDN censored my profanity. I'll be more ladylike next time :)

That's funny - I still don't have any 4th year grades on my transcript. Our school submits them in early september, so I don't think it's expected for 4th year grades to be on them.

Nothing so far this week, but all I'm waiting on is UNC and UVa. I guess last week was my busy week.

Obgyngatorgirl - I'll be at several of the same places, but not on the same days.

Good luck all:luck:

George Washington offered an interview today. However, they require step 2 ck before november 1, so looks like they might take back that invite. Speaking of DC schools, anyone know anything about georgetown??? One of our residents said they didn't offer abortion training there. Any word on the validity of such a statement???

No particular logic, I'm a little embarrassed to admit. I'm not THAT interested in either one, but North Shore offered a rather early slot, so I was going for the interview practice and to check them out and see if they suprise me. Turns out I may have to cancel it, as a conflict with an elective has come up that I don't think I can wriggle out of.... Was waiting to see if LIJ fits in with my more important interviews, then will tuck them in if I can - figured I'd wait and see what they offered rather than schedule and cancel.

Superspec -

I was just on a visiting elective with a Georgetown student. She told me that there is no abortion at that hospital, and her experience in clerkship was that they were spotty on even providing birth control. Its jesuit, therefore a christian institution. So, if that is important to you, you may want to look elsewhere.

Hey OB2B,
Was your app complete when you heard from Drexel and Jeff? Also, just curious, what made you decide to schedule north shore, but decline LIJ? I'm also looking at both.
I received an interview from Drexel and my application is complete. I have also not heard from Jeff, so I cannot help you there.

Updated list:

Bayfront (FL)
Emory
Orlando
Wake Forest
Duke
University of South Florida
University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Florida
George Washington

Still waiting on one LOR, which will hopefully be in by the end of the week. 7 more programs to hear from, some of them less likely since others have interviews. We'll see what happens

obgyngatorgirl--see you at Duke!

Good luck to everyone!

George Washington offered an interview today. However, they require step 2 ck before november 1, so looks like they might take back that invite. Speaking of DC schools, anyone know anything about georgetown??? One of our residents said they didn't offer abortion training there. Any word on the validity of such a statement???

It says on their APGO profile that they offer opportunity for abortion training. I would guess that it's at one of the other 2 hospitals they rotate through - likely the family planning rotation at the Virginia Hospital Center, or the elective rotation during their PGY3 year. But... no first hand knowledge. Definately something to ask about.

I heard from Drexel and Thomas Jefferson last week.

Ones I've scheduled
Cornell
Sinai NYC
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Winthrop (Long island)
North Shore
Stonybrook
Lenox Hill
Maimonides

Probably declining: LIJ, Westchester, NY Downtown, baystate

Still in pins and needles for Columbia and NYU. Have lost hope for Penn....and no one in Boston (Brigham, BI, BU) is talking yet...

Why have you lost hope for Penn? Are their interview spots full?

Georgetown does not offer abortion clinic directly at their institution. At our institution however, we have a family planning rotation, which if the resident chooses, will include such training. Most of us have done several D&E's. My reasoning is not necessarily to go out and actively do it, but rather to learn the skill in case I'll need it in the future.

As for the birth control, the same again holds true. Some of the G-town residents who would do post partum rounds with us and had objections, would simply have us do the discussion and prescriptions...

As for the DC programs (for the original poster), the three programs are comparable and with good quality. All I can tell you about GW is what I see when interacting with them as well as Med Student stories. They are very well trained, get great experience at Fairfax as well as excellent laparoscopy at Holy Cross.

Georgetown is another solid program. They do most of their GYN at Virginia Hosp. Ctr, OB with us, MFM and Onc at Georgetown. They have a good core of lectures and based on my impression of several of my close friends there, they are all well trained.

Our program (Wash. Hosp. Ctr) is the busiest of the three. We have great Gyn, Ob, Urogyn, and Onc experience, with OR experience beginning right off the bat as an intern. Since the closure of the county/general hospitals in DC we have become increasingly busier and are very high in volume all around. The cons I would say are REI and the work load. The pro is great volume and teaching at one institution without the hassles of bouncing between several hospitals in DC/MD/VA.

Best of luck to all of you!

Congrats to everyone on getting great interviews! I look forward to meeting some of you. Just FYI, I did an elective at Brigham and they said that they don't start offering interviews until November. So sit tight and keep your fingers crossed! My list so far:

Johns Hopkins
Scott and White
University of Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Mt. Sinai (NYC)
Brown
Northwestern
Stanford
Medical College of VA
George Washington

Asheville 11/10 (practice)
Bayfront 11/13 (practice)
Carolinas Med. Ctr 11/18
UF 11/20
12/8 MUSC
12/15 Duke
1/6 UNC

I haven't scheduled Vanderbilt, MCV, UVA yet . . . still debating.
Turned down MCG, UT-Chattanooga.
Too many interviews!! My Dean said to apply to 15-20, but it was too much, I think.
I am definitely NOT AOA, low-middle third of class, Step 1 228, good extracurriculars and research (but I don't think people really care about that stuff) . . . so don't worry, UNC will write soon!
;)

I will be at Duke 12/15 too! See you there!
:)

Hey to all. I'm very new to this but had a quick question. How important is the Dean's letter? It seems to me that all of you are getting really great interviews without it :oops: My scores aren't great and I was hoping the dean's letter would help me out. I have a only 4 interviews out of my 18.

Hey to all. I'm very new to this but had a quick question. How important is the Dean's letter? It seems to me that all of you are getting really great interviews without it :oops: My scores aren't great and I was hoping the dean's letter would help me out. I have a only 4 interviews out of my 18.

Honestly, I really have no clue how important it is. Thats a good question....anyone more informed than myself???