Interviews 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey to all. I'm very new to this but had a quick question. How important is the Dean's letter? It seems to me that all of you are getting really great interviews without it :oops: My scores aren't great and I was hoping the dean's letter would help me out. I have a only 4 interviews out of my 18.

Hi morelove - the dean's letter is usually ranked very important overall with programs. They sometimes "screen" applicants based on board scores to offer interviews before the dean's letter goes out. Then the dean's letter becomes important in how the program ranks you. I would not worry about 4 interviews so far. Many programs wait until after the dean's letter. Do you have your LoRs in yet? When did you submit? I submitted on 9/25 with my last letter coming in on 10/5 and I am just now hearing from several programs. It may just take some time.

I think we all need to take some deep breaths! At least I do... :eek:

Good luck!
;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey to all. I'm very new to this but had a quick question. How important is the Dean's letter? It seems to me that all of you are getting really great interviews without it :oops: My scores aren't great and I was hoping the dean's letter would help me out. I have a only 4 interviews out of my 18.

If they have your transcript they can make an educated guess about how you'll rank in comparison to your classmates. The only other thing they'd want from the MSPE is to make sure there isn't some catastrophe in there somewhere (academic dishonesty, etc).

And...I just got waitlisted for an interview at UDub. Quel dommage!

Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo! More love. Don't know why they're sending out invites at 8pm, but i'll take it. :) Add UC Irvine to my list.

Penn
Cornell
Stanford
UCI
LIJ
Kaiser LA

UCI just came through for me too!

The updated list:

UCI
UCLA Harbor
Cedars-Sinai
Kaiser LA
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser Santa Clara
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
University of Washington
Boston University Medical Center
Brown
UConn
Mt. Sinai
Magee
Hopkins

still waiting for NYC, Boston, LA, SF, UMich, Yale...

My Updated List:

University of Cincinnati
TriHealth (Cincy)
University of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
William Beaumont
Case University Hospitals
Case MetroHealth
University of Louisville
Wayne State
Riverside (Columbus, OH) Got this one on Tuesday

Waitlisted: Johns Hopkins :( (Just like Bellalou. They emailed last week asking if I wanted to be on the waitlist.)

Been kinda quiet these last 2 weeks. Just the calm before the storm...hopefully.

UCI for me as well!!
Updated list:

Mt. Sinai
Hopkins
Pitt
George Washington
Univ Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
UNC
Duke
Emory
Baylor
parkland
Stanford
UCI

Still waiting on most of my big dogs, though.....

When did people hear from Asheville?

Haven't had anything for over a week:( Maybe my luck is running out. Anybody else going through a dry spell?

I'm also having a dry spell...my school chairman told me not to worry about it. So, I'm just taking a deep breath and wait...

univ of washington
tuscon
tampa
jacksonville
emory
thomas jefferson
univ of tenn - memphis
san antonio
parkland
houston - MHH
galveston
charleston
VCU
st. louis
savannah
greenville
lexington
lousiville

i havent scheduled 4 of them . . . its getting difficult =(
still waiting on a few more :oops:

got couple on Monday but now back to silence and "stretching" my patience again
here is my list:
SUNY @ buffalo
JSUMC
UMDNJ-New Brunswick
St. Francis CT
Vermont
Maine
Jefferson
Baystate MA
U Mass
U Conn

Hi everyone. I have received 7 interviews so far, which I am quite happy about, but the Chicago and NC programs have shown me no love. I haven't heard anything! They have invited a lot of you guys for interviews, and I am wondering whether I should send one of those 'reminder' emails to make sure they have my application downloaded, etc. My application has been complete since mid-September.

I am coming from Ireland, and therefore have the IMG stamp on my forehead, but I'm in the top 5% of class, and have a 235 on step 1, plus various research and extracurricular activities. Do you think I should just get the hint and leave it, or pursue these programs further?

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did people hear from Asheville?

I think I heard from them 2 weeks after submitting . . . I don't remember exactly (sorry!)

Bella and Cocoa, I'm excited to see you both at Duke! It will be chilly . . . I'm from Florida, so I'm hoping to see some pretty snow ;) We'll have to trade descriptions so we'll know who to look for. I'm the pregnant one in the gray suit!!

Got UF-Jacksonville today (Nov 3) and still debating UVA . . . please keep posting if we'll be on the trail together!

Haven't had anything for over a week:( Maybe my luck is running out. Anybody else going through a dry spell?

Don't stress . . . remember, lots of programs wait for the Dean's Letter in November before they decide anything, so you should get another rush of invites after that. Keep your chin up! :love:

Bellalou & obgyngatorgirl, it will be great to see you guys at Duke!

UF-Jacksonville for me today also.

Well, I've had a little more action this week after things being slow. Got Western Pennsylvania Hospital and New York Methodist to add to the list.Still waiting on all the Philly programs, which is making me crazy, and I have no love from any Boston programs. Though I did get an email from Pennsylvania Hospital that they will now sent my app to the selection committee as it is complete as of yesterday.

Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
UMDNJ- both New Brunswick and Camden
Maimonides- Brooklyn
Monmouth Medical Center
New York Methodist
Western Pennsylvania Hospital

Heard from UVa today. Now I'm only waiting on UNC...

finally out of the week and half lull! heard from Duke and Baylor-Houston! i too have had no love from the pennsylvania programs...not expecting anything from the boston programs until after nov 1. hopefully they'll keep coming!

My list so far is

Duke
Baylor-Houston
Emory
Carolina Medical
William Beaumont
U or Maryland
East Carolina
East Virginia
Greenville

Scott and White
UTHSCSA
University of Arizona,
TX Tech (El Paso)
St. Joe's Denver
Methodist Houston
UTMB
UNM
Phoenix Integrated
Methodist Dallas
JPS
and Baylor & Parkland yesterday.

UTMB
UTHSCSA
U Michigan
UT Memphis
Indiana U
Case - U Hosp
Wayne State U
MCW
St Joe's-Mercy - Michigan
Oakwood HS - Michigan

Just heard from UVA! Updated list:

Case - UH
Case - Metro/CCF
Emory
Duke
UNC
UVA
Northwestern
Brown
Wake Forest
VCU (turned down)

Still waiting on: Magee, U Penn, Brig/Women's, UAB
Waitlisted at Hopkins. Ugh.

Almost figured out a way to schedule all these. It is tight though. And I am supposed to be taking Step II CK somewhere in there, but I might have to put it off until Jan.

Bella- I'll be at UVa on Dec 20th, how about you?

Updated list:

Louisville
Cincinnati
Indiana
Ohio State
Kentucky
Florida
Orlando
Duke
UC Irvine - Also got a late night invite this past week!:cool:

Waitlisted: University of Washington

Been sort of calm past week. I agree that a lot of the unmentioned schools are waiting on the Dean's letter/November. By the looks of our lists, I don't think we need to be too worried. Although, I probably will hound a school or two if they don't show some mutual interest.

I heard a rumor that Mt. Sanai has gotten over 400 applications! Now given that last year only around 1200 total (including FMG's) applied to OB/GYN it makes me a little nervous that this is a much more competitive year. I base this on how unlikely it is that 1/3 of the entire OB/GYN applicant pool applied to one program...there has got to be a lot more people applying this year.

I heard a rumor that Mt. Sanai has gotten over 400 applications! Now given that last year only around 1200 total (including FMG's) applied to OB/GYN it makes me a little nervous that this is a much more competitive year. I base this on how unlikely it is that 1/3 of the entire OB/GYN applicant pool applied to one program...there has got to be a lot more people applying this year.

the apgo directory claims that 400 people applied in 2003 as well. no worries.

Does anyone know if programs only put people in hotels they are more seriously recruiting or is it an all or none thing for all of their applicants? It seems like my friends going into peds, neuro, and psych are getting hotel rooms with all of their interviews. No worries about me paying for a room but I didn't know if I should read into it. Anyone have the scoop?

I hadn't thought about it that way, hairspray. I just assumed that some programs paid for hotel rooms and some didn't. What have others heard?

I think it is just a program thing; some programs pay for all or a portion of the hotel room for all the applicants, and some don't. Otherwise, they would seem to be recruiting specific people, which I have to thing is considered illegal in the match process.

Does anyone know if programs only put people in hotels they are more seriously recruiting or is it an all or none thing for all of their applicants? It seems like my friends going into peds, neuro, and psych are getting hotel rooms with all of their interviews. No worries about me paying for a room but I didn't know if I should read into it. Anyone have the scoop?

I think it depends on the specialty. My friends in peds, psych, family med are being wined and dined. Too bad our choice of specialty requires us to foot the bill!

The residents are having a pre-interview dinner at one of their homes and they said we could bring a guest. Should I bring my husband or leave in him the hotel? What do you think?

Well if your husband will not embarass you I'd say bring him along. No I'm joking definately bring him. There should be other spouses there too and he can do some digging around for you. Ie asking how is call how much time will he have to spend with you etc....

Also....for those of you interviewing multiple palces it a good idea to choose the latest possible slot for the programs you really want to match to. Why because they will remember you... Or if interviewing early or midseason definately plan a second look. And if you really like the program tell them this. By saying "i really enjoyed myself and I definately want to consider you." will give you the advantage of having interviewers note this on their summary sheets and when ranking time comes probably move you up on the lists.

Finally about costs yes it can get costly. Many banks like compass or bank of america will offer doctor loans to help defer costs. AMSA also offers loans to help defer interview costs (at least they did 8 yrs ago...) Another option is finding someone who is interviewing there to share a room. A lot of times you can coordinate this with the school. Residents will also offer to let you stay the night. I placed quite a few.

Good luck
:) Diane

I finally heard from UNC!!! :) :) :) Bella- I rsvp'd for the 16th, so I may see you at that one too!

My list is now complete- I can stop obsessively checking my email!!!! :D

UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, New Hanover, UVA, Brown, U Rochester, MUSC, St. Vincents (Indy), St. Joe's (Denver), Vanderbilt and JPS

Good luck everybody! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Sorry - double post

About the hotels - I've heard from 3 programs that they foot the bill for one night at the hotel. One of my friends in Anesthesia and one in FM are getting all their rooms paid for. The gas man said a few years back, anesth. used to pay for flights too!

Finally got some love from Philly! My updated list:

Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
Maimonides- Brooklyn
Monmouth Medical Center
New York Methodist
Pennsylvania Hospital

Hopefully they keep on coming!

Does anyone else out there have programs that haven't even downloaded their application yet? Mine has been available for two weeks and there are two or three that haven't even looked at it. Do certain programs just wait until Nov. 1 to even download?

Also....for those of you interviewing multiple palces it a good idea to choose the latest possible slot for the programs you really want to match to.

What do you consider mid-season? Do you think we won't be memorable if we interview in December?

I think midseason is relative to the program that you are interviewing with. If your program only interviews until December, that isn't midseason. I have always heard that it is a good idea to interview late.

Finally some more love! Got an interview from UT Knoxville today, which was one of the last ones I was waiting on.:D

Should you always do a second look? This would be tough with my schedule because I am already taking so much time off for interviews. Most of my top choices are the latest dates they had available though.

Heard from Stanford and Wash U today :)

UCSF
Stanford
Washington University
Baylor
Emory
Hopkins
University of Chicago
Duke
Northwestern
Parkland
Iowa

Waitlisted: University of Washington

Should you always do a second look? This would be tough with my schedule because I am already taking so much time off for interviews. Most of my top choices are the latest dates they had available though.

My Dean of Students (who also happens to be the OB Program Director) said second looks are not a good idea, they are a waste of money for you and put the program in a position where they have to take someone away from clinical duties for the day to chaperone you around. His recommendation is to maintain contact by e-mail or phone with the PD and if you are very interested in a program, there is nothing wrong with letting them know that. He also mentioned that if you really want to go back, e-mail the program secretary/coordinator and ask them if interested applicants typically go for a second look. Depending on their answer you can adjust your plans. Hope that helps! ;)

It's a good week! Heard from Thomas Jefferson today. Some of the insecurity is decreasing.

Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
Maimonides- Brooklyn
Monmouth Medical Center
New York Methodist
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson

I have been lucky enough to schedule them all in one two week spread thus far, though I am a bit nervous about how I am going to perform interviewing nearly everyday for two weeks straight!

Has anyone confirmed their interview at univ. of kentucky? I got an invitation via snail mail about a week and half ago and sent them an email with the date I wanted last monday, and haven't heard anything back...just trying to make travel plans.....

tiredmom and bellalou, i will also be at UVA on Dec. 20...see you there!

Bayfront (FL)
Orlando
Emory
Wake Forest
University of South Florida
Duke
University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Florida
University of Florida--Jacksonville
George Washington
Medical College of Virginia

Still waiting to hear from 5 more...

Bayfront (FL)
Orlando
Emory
Wake Forest
University of South Florida
Duke
University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Florida
University of Florida--Jacksonville
George Washington
Medical College of Virginia

Still waiting to hear from 5 more...

Cocoabutter, when are you interviewing at these places? We have a bunch in common, I'm sure I'll see you at more than one!

obgyngatorgirl, looks like we have Bayfront, UF, UF-Jax, MUSC, & Duke in common so far! The only date we have that matches is Duke on 12/15, so we'll see each other then :)

UTH MHH
Baylor
UT SW
UTSA
UTMB
UCLA-Harbor
Mt. Sinai is sending out invites today! =)