Interviews 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviews so far:
Vanderbilt
UVA
Wake Forest
Duke
Carolinas
MUSC
Loma Linda

Still waiting on:
UNC
UC Davis
Stanford
UCI
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
UCSD

I'm a little nervous about not hearing from so many programs, but no rejections yet. I am very happy with the interviews received to far, though! Any thoughts on how late is late enough to either contact a program to ask about my application status or to give up hope of an interview? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my updated list:

University of Illinois in Chicago
University of Winsconsin (Madison)
Mayo Clinic
Tufts
U of Mass
Baystate
Brown
Johns Hopkins
NYU downtown
Emory
BIDMC
Northwestern

:luck:

I need to cancel an interview.
is it better to drop drexel or hosp-upen?

Members don't see this ad :)
please post your rejections on my new thread.. i think it will help people know which programs they may still be hearing from. Thanks!

I called about the dates for UCLA a while ago and at that time she told me these were tentative dates: Nov. 18, Dec. 2, Dec 16. I don't know if this still holds but it may give you an idea :)

Heard from University of Colorado today! These next few days are going to be a little crazy....

:eek: Just got one from Univ. of Pennsylvania. My list, as of now, is:

Mt. Sinai
Pitt
Penn
George Washington
Tufts
Beth Israel
Hopkins
Univ. Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
UNC(I cancelled)
Duke
Emory
Baylor
Parkland
UCI
Stanford
USC

But.... I'm still waiting on a lot of my top guys....Brigham, columbia, cornell, nyu, ucsf, ucsd, ucla. Columbia hasn't even downloaded my MSPE yet.

Update:
Cornell!!!
Mt. Sinai
Duke
UPenn
LAC + USC
Emory
Albert Einstein
Baylor
UMDNJ
UAB
Miami

Well...if you were scheduled for Dec. 2 or January...then drop Drexel so I can get your spot :)

Just kidding...they both seem like good programs. I would have a difficult time deciding between the two.

Anyone else have any insight?

Actually, for real advise, I would go to the hosp-upen interview. I originally thought you were talking about Pennsylvania Hospital...which I thought was pretty comparable to Drexel. But I think the UPENN program would definitly open more doors for you later down the line if you want to do academics/fellowship. Though, if you just want to do general OB/GYN, Drexel may be more laid back and a more enjoyable four years :) I guess it really depends.

I'm looking at my list and it makes no sense at all to me.

U Penn
Yale
UCSF
Stanford
Washington University
Baylor
Emory
Hopkins
Cornell
University of Chicago
Duke
Northwestern
Parkland
Iowa

Waitlisted: University of Washington, NYU

Rejected: UNC, Michigan, Denver

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a few more but things are looking good....

UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC Davis
Cedars-Sinai
Harbor-UCLA
LAC+USC
Loma Linda
Kaiser - Santa Clara
Kaiser - Los Angeles
Kaiser - San Francisco
Kaiser - Oakland
UNC
Beth Israel Deaconess
Colorado

Not going to all of these:
Atlanta Medical Center
Emory
Carolinas
Trihealth
UCLA-Harbor
Exempla St. Joe's
Rush
Cook County
UMass
UCONN
Baystate
St. Francis
North SHore/NYU
LIJ
St. Lukes-Roosevelt
NYU Downtown
NYMC/ Westchester
Beth Israel nyc
St. Vincent's
Tulane
Christiana Care
Washington Hospital Center
Sinai Hosp of Baltimore
Maryland
Brooklyn Hospital Center
Illinois Masonic

Rejects: UTMB, Colorado, Vanderbilt, NYU

I applied to a lot...mostly 'cause as a D.O. I wasn't sure how competitive I would be....got plenty to choose from......so future osteopathic applicants no worries.

Hi,

Do any of you guys have any opinions on Wayne State, Henry Ford, U Maryland or U virginia????

UW (Monday!!!)
UT Houston LBJ
UT Houston MHH
Vandy
UNC
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
UAB
Miami
Yale
NYU
LAC-USC
UCDHSC

Hates me:
Michigan:mad:

Still waiting on:
Pitt
BWH-MGH
BIDMC
UPenn
UVA
Duke
Brown
OHSU
U Chicago
Northwestern

Add Brigham for me, too. A little bit bittersweet, as I got regrets from BIDMC at the same time. So, to update:

Brigham
NYU
Cornell
LIJ
Penn
Pennsylvania Hosp
Drexel
Northwestern
OHSU
Stanford
Kaiser SF
Cedars-Sinai
Kaiser LA
UCI

Regrets from: BIDMC
Waiting on: UCSF, UCLA, Brown, Columbia, St Luke's, Jefferson

:eek: Well, I don't know about you guys, but I had one h*ll of a morning! I got a rejection from brigham 1st thing in my mailbox, freaked out, contemplated crying for the next two hours, and then decided to go to my dean's office and ask them to call on my behalf.

When I did so, we found out they sent me the wrong email, and that yes, I was indeed invited to interview at BWH-MGH. They were really apologetic and nice about it, but I do think they took a few years off my life.

That being said, this is a good lesson that if you get a rejection that seems squirrely, maybe you should call the program.

Why did you suspect the e-mail was wrong? Did you do a sub-I there and they told you that you would receive an interview? i'm wondering if i should give them a call myself and see if this is the case as well. please clarify your situation superspec! thanks!

:eek: Well, I don't know about you guys, but I had one h*ll of a morning! I got a rejection from brigham 1st thing in my mailbox, freaked out, contemplated crying for the next two hours, and then decided to go to my dean's office and ask them to call on my behalf.

When I did so, we found out they sent me the wrong email, and that yes, I was indeed invited to interview at BWH-MGH. They were really apologetic and nice about it, but I do think they took a few years off my life.

That being said, this is a good lesson that if you get a rejection that seems squirrely, maybe you should call the program.

Why did you suspect the e-mail was wrong? Did you do a sub-I there and they told you that you would receive an interview? i'm wondering if i should give them a call myself and see if this is the case as well. please clarify your situation superspec! thanks!

I'm going to PM you nkow so check your mailbox.:)

Does anybody happen to know if UPenn sends out rejection letters? I haven't heard from them yet and was getting worried...:(

It's the only one I'm waiting on...this is driving me NUTS!! Has anyone else heard from them since early October??

YAY! I also heard from UPenn, but U Penn only has one weekend for interviews and that is the only date I can interview at Brigham. Anyone else think it was weird that UPenn only has one weekend for interviews?

So here is my list:
Case UH 11/10
Case Metro/CCF 11/15
Pittsburgh 11/18
Brown 11/28
Northwestern 12/2
Wake Forest 12/9
UAB 12/11
Duke 12/15
UNC 12/16
UVA 12/20
Emory 1/6
Brigham 1/12 (not confirmed yet)

Good luck everyone and see you on the trail...

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard from Wisconsin Madison recently? I haven't heard bad news yet, but no good news either...............it just is getting so late.

Good luck to everyone!

SuperSpec - what about the email tipped you off as being squirrely? :confused:

sosodefjeff, i just p'med you. :)

how late are schools still offering interviews? it seems like things are slowing down...does this mean we are pretty much coming up to the end of invites?

I called about the dates for UCLA a while ago and at that time she told me these were tentative dates: Nov. 18, Dec. 2, Dec 16. I don't know if this still holds but it may give you an idea :)

I can confirm that these are the dates for UCLA. They still have not sent out any invites yet. Talk about cutting it close!

Just want to say good luck to all of you guys! Will meet some of you at Brown!

how late are schools still offering interviews? it seems like things are slowing down...does this mean we are pretty much coming up to the end of invites?

Just got one today from USF . . . I don't think I'll go, though. Anyhow, folks are definitely still sending out.

Still waiting on UM - I'm kind of sad, because that's my alma mater from undergrad . . . why are they the only ones who haven't invited me yet?! :mad: Not like they are soooo fabulous . . . if I'm good enough for UNC and Duke, you'd figure I'd be good enough for Miami . . . grr, sorry, just venting.

superspec - what tipped you off that this was not right?

Hey everyone--love this forum and good luck! I need to cancel a few interviews--please give your opinion if you are familiar with these programs. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
My ideal program would be a strong program in a middle-large size city in Texas. However, I would rather go to a strong out of state program than a less strong Texas program. Also looking for friendly residents/faculty, large volume, no away rotations if possible, and night float system.

Here is the list:
UT Southwestern
Baylor Dallas
Methodist Dallas
JPS-Fort Worth
UT Austin
LBJ-UT Houston
Memorial Hermann-UT Houston
Methodist Houston
Baylor Houston
UTMB Galveston
San Antonio
University of New Mexico
University of Colorado-Denver
Exempla St. Joseph-Denver, CO
University of Kentucky
Banner Good Sam-Phoenix
Phoenix Integrated
Univ. of AZ-Tucson

Rejections: UNC

Not sure if elective termination training is important to you/you believe in it, but Baylor Dallas does not offer such training. I recently found that out and had to cancel with them relatively last minute because I have very strong feelings the other way.:oops:

Good luck with the texas match, I will be at Parkland this weekend, and I know obbyjobby will as well. Anyone else?

Hey everyone--love this forum and good luck! I need to cancel a few interviews--please give your opinion if you are familiar with these programs. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
My ideal program would be a strong program in a middle-large size city in Texas. However, I would rather go to a strong out of state program than a less strong Texas program. Also looking for friendly residents/faculty, large volume, no away rotations if possible, and night float system.

Here is the list:
UT Southwestern
Baylor Dallas
Methodist Dallas
JPS-Fort Worth
UT Austin
LBJ-UT Houston
Memorial Hermann-UT Houston
Methodist Houston
Baylor Houston
UTMB Galveston
San Antonio
University of New Mexico
University of Colorado-Denver
Exempla St. Joseph-Denver, CO
University of Kentucky
Banner Good Sam-Phoenix
Phoenix Integrated
Univ. of AZ-Tucson

Rejections: UNC

Not sure if elective termination training is important to you/you believe in it, but Baylor Dallas does not offer such training. I recently found that out and had to cancel with them relatively last minute because I have very strong feelings the other way.:oops:

Good luck with the texas match, I will be at Parkland this weekend, and I know obbyjobby will as well. Anyone else?

Please remember that all ob/gyn programs are required to offer access to elective termination training. True, some programs make this training more readily available than others, and this may be a deciding factor for you. However, I wouldn't write a program off entirely that you may otherwise love until you get the full story. :)

updated list:

UCSF (heard today!)
USC
BWH-MGH
Duke
UPenn
Emory
Cornell
Albert Einstein
Mount Sinai
UMDNJ
Miami

Had to cancel UAB, Baylor, and UF
Anyone hear yet from UCLA and Columbia??

Why do you assume I don't have the full story? I spoke to the Baylor PD and they informed me that they will perform medically indicated terminations and that you could do a third or fourth year elective in austin that performed elective terminations. I want to attend an academic program that offers termination training from year one, so it wasn't a good fit for me. Besides, I personally firmly believe in providing unfettered access to first trimester elective abortions and as I (personally) believe it is unethical to not do so, I would never want to spend 4 years in such a climate. And there is nothing wrong with disseminating this info on SDN....I wish I would have been aware of it before i applied so as not to waste my time or theirs.

I am completely respectful of all positions on the issue and understand the complexity. But I think it is ridiculous to assume that because I took a different action than you might have that I "don't have the full story". Please refrain from making erroneous assumptions about other people. Thanks!

Please remember that all ob/gyn programs are required to offer access to elective termination training. True, some programs make this training more readily available than others, and this may be a deciding factor for you. However, I wouldn't write a program off entirely that you may otherwise love until you get the full story. :)

On a more fun note, I just got an invite from UCLA!!!! But geez.....why did they wait so long to send out interviews?? This has really made scheduling things difficult, and more expensive.:scared:

UCLA for me too... FINALLY. :) I'll be cancelling Drexel to make room.

updated list:

UCSF (heard today!)
USC
BWH-MGH
Duke
UPenn
Emory
Cornell
Albert Einstein
Mount Sinai
UMDNJ
Miami

Had to cancel UAB, Baylor, and UF
Anyone hear yet from UCLA and Columbia??

congrats on ucsf! still no word from them either way for me. no news is good news, right? :confused:

heard from columbia monday night.

i'll probably be seeing some of you at my interviews. good luck!

Why do you assume I don't have the full story? I spoke to the Baylor PD and they informed me that they will perform medically indicated terminations and that you could do a third or fourth year elective in austin that performed elective terminations. I want to attend an academic program that offers termination training from year one, so it wasn't a good fit for me. Besides, I personally firmly believe in providing unfettered access to first trimester elective abortions and as I (personally) believe it is unethical to not do so, I would never want to spend 4 years in such a climate. And there is nothing wrong with disseminating this info on SDN....I wish I would have been aware of it before i applied so as not to waste my time or theirs.

I am completely respectful of all positions on the issue and understand the complexity. But I think it is ridiculous to assume that because I took a different action than you might have that I "don't have the full story". Please refrain from making erroneous assumptions about other people. Thanks!

I didn't mean to ruffle any tail feathers with my reply. I intended simply to advise other applicants that this is an area of training that must be available to them, regardless of their choice of program, as your initial post stated "Baylor Dallas does not offer such training", thus implying you could not access it. I did not state my views one way or another.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a thread. Initially just intended to clear this up. Carry on...

Hi all--has anyone heard anything about Brown? I know they've granted some interviews, but are they done with offers? Or are they still inviting?

Any info would be appreciated--thanks!

Hey Everyone,
So I am new to SDN but saw all of the helpful information and thought about joining!

My boyfriend is in houston and I am strongly considering UT Hermann/UT LBJ but know very little about either programs...any info?!?! Are the residents nice?does the training seem good?any big red flags??can you go into fellowship afterwards??

I have the same question abou UIC and Univ of Chicago and Thomas Jefferson....

any advice would be appreciated and just to add...here is my list :)

UNC
Hopkins
UT Hermann
UT LBJ
Thomas Jefferson
Albert Einstein
Vanderbilt
CMC
VCU
Brown
Univ Maryland
UIC
Tufts
UVA
UPenn
Northwestern
Bringham Women's
Georgetowne
Univ Chicago

University of Pittsburgh-Magee for me today! Very excited!!!! :D

Regrets from University of Virginia today.