Interviews 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calot's 3angle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
seems like people are getting interviews already...i submitted late afternoon last friday and was surprised with an invite from harbor ucla today. i can't believe this is starting already!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thats awesome, good luck. I'm going through it next cycle-cant wait!

Wow that's quick! I'm still waiting for my transcripts to load, so just trying not to obsessively check to see who's looked at my stuff and when they'll see GPA/step scores to decide they want to interview me.
Congrats on the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did they invite you for an interview? Through the ERAS message inbox? or email?

congrats c3a :) I finally submitted my CAF today! Though I'm not expecting much yet because...uh, none of my LoRs are in yet. I'm so happy to have it in though! Less strain in my brain now.

Although from the experience of my friends, it seems as though many programs will simply ignore you if they don't want to interview you [awesome!]. Do ya'll know anything about this? Like, seriously, take the time to send a 1-line email telling me I suck so I can just get over it rather than leave me hanging. It's cruel, ya'll. I'm done talking now.

Today I got one from Hopkins, which was kind of weird because my entire app is far from complete. (still waiting on 2 letters, deans letter of course, and transcript from school). only one so far!

Those of you that have received interviews already, are you all AOA, 250 people? Or can I still keep my hopes up for receiving an interview sometime soon? :oops:

Don't worry... most places haven't extended interview invitations yet. I'm still waiting too - spoke to one of the long time faculty at our place - he said "it's way too early".

heard the same thing...some programs (e.g. columbia) don't send out interview invites until they receive the dean's letter, which means we'll all be waiting on columbia until nov 1. It seems hopkins is on a roll though - i received an interview there too, and to assuage your fears, i am not AOA.

anyone got a feel for how many programs a "good" candidate should apply to? I have friends in some more competative field like optho and ortho who are applying to 50+ and just wondering what the consensus is about ob/gyn. I know that other people have been told if they get 10-15 interviews they can be comfortable in thinking that they will match. anyone go through this last year or have a good feel for what is to come?

Those of you that have received interviews already, are you all AOA, 250 people? Or can I still keep my hopes up for receiving an interview sometime soon? :oops:

Hopkins 12/15 (heard 9/11)
I am sooooo far from 250/AOA!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone got a feel for how many programs a "good" candidate should apply to? I have friends in some more competative field like optho and ortho who are applying to 50+ and just wondering what the consensus is about ob/gyn. I know that other people have been told if they get 10-15 interviews they can be comfortable in thinking that they will match. anyone go through this last year or have a good feel for what is to come?

From one of our faculty:
Top 1/3 of your class: 10 interviews
Middle 1/3: 15 interviews
Bottom 1/3: 20 interviews

Also, probably more important is the number ranked. It's a bad move to rank less than 8 programs - something about the # ranked per slot ( I didn't understand the math, just remembered the number).

From one of our faculty:
Top 1/3 of your class: 10 interviews
Middle 1/3: 15 interviews
Bottom 1/3: 20 interviews

for OB? have you looked at the match data? practically everyone who ranks at least 12 programs ends up matching. i dont think there are any US grads who ranked more than 12 and didnt match according to the nrmp data.

Interview at Hopkins, 11/17. They are on a roll! Hope to meet some of you there!

Yeah - those were the numbers from the ob department. The point being - those are programs applied/interviews... not ranked. There will be programs where you interview that you won't want to rank. I heard that you shouldn't rank less than 8-10 programs, even in the top 1/3 of class. Another caveat is our school is really paranoid about people not matching, so I think they may have extra insurance in their numbers.

i got an interview invite about a week after submitting, without any of my letters uploaded or transcripts or anything. it's a smaller program (st. francis - evanston,il), but i was surprised at the invitation coming so early. my scores are far from AOA or anything like that, and i'm worried - i applied to 21 schools, thinking of adding more. my program director told me to apply to 15-20 schools, but if i'm solid middle-third with a below-average step 1, i feel like i should add a few more. is this excessive?

i got an interview invite about a week after submitting, without any of my letters uploaded or transcripts or anything. it's a smaller program (st. francis - evanston,il), but i was surprised at the invitation coming so early. my scores are far from AOA or anything like that, and i'm worried - i applied to 21 schools, thinking of adding more. my program director told me to apply to 15-20 schools, but if i'm solid middle-third with a below-average step 1, i feel like i should add a few more. is this excessive?

my vote is that it is better to apply to more programs than less. this way you can pare down the interviews as you get them. ie...if u get interviews at "better" programs then you can cancel your interviews at "lesser" progs. in quotes because "better" and "lesser" can be fairly arbitrary and subjective.

I recv'd an interview with Texas Tech, Scott and White and University of Arizona. CAF submitted 9/9, USMLE scores assigned 9/17, PS submitted 9/25

I have recieved interviews from Johns and Baystate (Tufts)! I submitted my application on the 2nd. Good luck everyone!

I have applied to 15 programs thorughout northeast (from Mass to VA). I feel like I should apply to more places. I am not the most competitive student:( Due to some family problems, I had to take time off between 2 and 3rd year. I applied mostly to some community hospitals, (6) and smaller university programs (9). Was afraid that as soon as progams saw my transcript, nobody would contact me. But happy to say I have 2 interviews already.:D
My application, CAF part was done on 9/5, my 2 LOR's were uploaded on 9/14, transcript on 9/15. Had first interview invite on 9/19.
It's wierd, becuase i keep thinking that I know that I will match at least to program at my school. I already sat down with the chair, and he told me he would love to have me at my school's program. And I would be happy at my school program, so I don't know if I should apply to more places....
Any suggestions??
Good luck everyone!

I have applied to 15 programs thorughout northeast (from Mass to VA). I feel like I should apply to more places. I am not the most competitive student:( Due to some family problems, I had to take time off between 2 and 3rd year. I applied mostly to some community hospitals, (6) and smaller university programs (9). Was afraid that as soon as progams saw my transcript, nobody would contact me. But happy to say I have 2 interviews already.:D
My application, CAF part was done on 9/5, my 2 LOR's were uploaded on 9/14, transcript on 9/15. Had first interview invite on 9/19.
It's wierd, becuase i keep thinking that I know that I will match at least to program at my school. I already sat down with the chair, and he told me he would love to have me at my school's program. And I would be happy at my school program, so I don't know if I should apply to more places....
Any suggestions??
Good luck everyone!

I'd say you're probably fine then. Getting 2 interviews this early in the game is really great and a sign that there are likely many more to come. Sounds like you know the strengths and weaknesses of your application and applied to programs realistic for you to match at. I wouldn't take your home school as a given based only on the chair's word. I'm sure you have an excellent chance but as you know s*** happens in the match and you need to have some back up places. If it'd make you feel better, throw in a few more programs, but I Think you rock for getting 2 interviews already! Best of luck :)

I just received an interview invite to Wash U (St. Louis). So relieved to get an interview! Anyone else invited there? :)

Got one at Emory today...anyone else heard back from them?

Got my first interview today - Exempla St. Joe's in Denver. :D

based upon what i have heard from classmates and myself...

harbor-ucla, penn state, univ tennessee - memphis, wayne state, univ nevada

New Hanover RMC - Wilmington, NC:) It's been a good day!

UNC-Chapel Hill, UT-memphis, Univ. of Louisville

Received Interviews from Medical College of Georgia and Albert Einstein (in Philly) 9/25.

so far: albany, new hannover, MCG, new mexico and st. joe's denver

Hopkins (9/11)
UT Houston MHH (9/26)

2 down, 21 to go!

Has anyone heard from UW other than a generic "thank you for your application - please complete it"?

I recv'd an interview with Texas Tech, Scott and White and University of Arizona. CAF submitted 9/9, USMLE scores assigned 9/17, PS submitted 9/25

Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital in Denver-- woot woot!

harbor-ucla (9/5)
hopkins (9/28)

the wait continues...

Johns Hopkins and Harbor-UCLA.
Step 1 - 224, step 2 not taken, average female student at a top 20 med school (definitely not aoa), solid research and extracurriculars. hope that helps some of you sleep better at night :)

Just heard from Baylor in Houston and UTSA for interviews.
My friends have heard from Hopkins, and UTMHH. GOOD LUCK everyone! See you all on the interview trail!

For those that have heard from Baylor, is your application fully complete (ie all letters in except deans???)

Baylor Dallas, Baylor Houston, UTSouthwestern, Texas Tech Amarillo, UT San antonio, Scott&White in Temple, UTMB Austin, Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital in Denver, University of New Mexico Hospital--can't wait to visit these places...Good luck to everyone!

No, all my letters are not in...

ive never done this before, so i hope this works!!

univ washington
emory
ut memphis
san antonio
louisville
arizona - tuscon
greenville

waiting sucks, at what point should worry set in about not getting interviews? secondly, any tips on talking with program coordinators and gently prodding them in the direction of getting interviews?

Wake Forest today!

I've heard that if you've not heard by 2nd week of November, then you should worry. About 1/2 of the programs I've applied to say on their websites that they wait for Deans letter before issuing invites.

for those who have received interviews at hopkins,
are all of your letters in?

harbor-ucla (9/5)
hopkins (9/26)
kaiser oakland (9/27)
kaiser LA (9/28)
cedars-sinai (9/28)

anyone heard anything about the cedars-sinai program? is it very private? are the residents happy? are the numbers good? strong surgical training?

all of my letters (with the exception of the dean's letter/MSPE) were in by 9/21

I recieved two more: Emory (9/25) and Mayo Clinic, Rochester (9/27).