Interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed at OCPM this past October Dean Lott told me that the first time pass rate was 92%. I wrote this down so I am def sure about this.

I really give up when it comes to first time pass rates...the numbers vary way too much. It's prob one of the more frustrating aspects of applying to Podiatry school.

That's why you cannot listen to some admissions people. It's so weird at ohio that the person who interviews you has NOTHING to do with podiatry, any type of medicine or science. How does this person know who can or cannot make it through pod school?

Barry was the same way thing - non MD/DO/DPM/PhD interviewer. Useless interview experiences. If pod schools want parity they gotta ditch this garbage. Time to step it up a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Temple interview. Unfortunately, I cant take it any sooner than the beginning of January. Will I be at any disadvantage for taking it so late?

I have a Temple interview. Unfortunately, I cant take it any sooner than the beginning of January. Will I be at any disadvantage for taking it so late?

you'll get in no problem. They accept people right up to the class begins.

Members don't see this ad :)
And as far as Ohio admissions is concerned...you have to remember that this is a school that brings in over 110 kids every year and consistently graduates about 80 of them. They interview and ACCEPT 30 or so kids that they KNOW will not make it. How can anybody trust an administration that does that? Sure, if you are one of the top 50 kids in the class I'd bet the faculty and administration are wonderful, but what if you aren't? And trust me, I've seen a lot of people's grades, scores, etc. and there are plenty people on here who are going to be on the verge. I just don't get how people can listen to what the admin at a place like OCPM have to say (92% first time pass :laugh:) and believe a single word of it.

As far as the boards go, and the residency shortage issue, I found it interesting that a Dean at one of the programs isn't really concerned. Basically, the amount of 4th year students in the coming years will exceed the number of residencies by 20-30 individuals. Sounds bad, but when you take a closer look you see that there are 20-30 4th year students who are still attempting to pass pt 1 of the boards, then another handful who will not pass pt 2. No schools were named but everyone in the room knew which programs were involved.

Templepoddoc and his buddies (who usually hit and run whenever something bad is said about temple) will be happy to know that not a negative word about Temple was spoken :D

Do you know where actual board passing rates can be found for the schools? Is there any official source?? I'm really frustrated with all the different figures I've been hearing

Maybe the point is that there are programs who will probably never give you accurate information. Here's the NBPME report from the July 2008 exam:

http://www.nbpme.info/PDFs/fall2008.pdf

You'll notice the first time pass rate is 81.4%. We know that several programs are in the 90's percentage wise because they make their info public (they are open with prospective and current students) and IMO that makes their info quite reliable...who would lie about pass rates to their current 1st, 2nd, 3rd year students? If the first time rate is 81% and we know there are 3-4 programs who are well above this number (and 2 of those programs have the smallest class sizes), then we know that the programs with the larger student bodies must be slightly below the 81% pass rate at the very least. I know its speculation but until some of the other programs post "first-time" statistics, this sort of logical reasoning is all you've really got.

I think good students will succeed at any program and every program has some amazing future physicians, but a program that doesn't care about EVERY student they admit or is somewhat reckless in their admission process just isn't someone I'd get in bed with...so to speak ;)

Maybe the point is that there are programs who will probably never give you accurate information. Here's the NBPME report from the July 2008 exam:

http://www.nbpme.info/PDFs/fall2008.pdf

You'll notice the first time pass rate is 81.4%. We know that several programs are in the 90's percentage wise because they make their info public (they are open with prospective and current students) and IMO that makes their info quite reliable...who would lie about pass rates to their current 1st, 2nd, 3rd year students? If the first time rate is 81% and we know there are 3-4 programs who are well above this number (and 2 of those programs have the smallest class sizes), then we know that the programs with the larger student bodies must be slightly below the 81% pass rate at the very least. I know its speculation but until some of the other programs post "first-time" statistics, this sort of logical reasoning is all you've really got.

I think good students will succeed at any program and every program has some amazing future physicians, but a program that doesn't care about EVERY student they admit or is somewhat reckless in their admission process just isn't someone I'd get in bed with...so to speak ;)

Nice info. I wish the "other" schools made their first time pass rates public (and no bull****tin either). Anyone get a straight Barry answer???

Got your Barry board numbers right here.

According to Amy Rodriguez, last year their first time pass rate was 87% and the year before the first time pass rate was 92%. Anyone else who heard differently let me know because whoever said numbers are skewed by schools are correct because even though they tell you the numbers they dont always specify if its first time, second time or the combination of the two.

Apparently OCPM doesn't accept the DAT anymore..NYCPM still does though. Head's up to those switching from dental i suppose.

Anyone applying to NYCPM with DAT can PM me and I'll give you some information on it.

They were supposed to phase it out this year. Apparently they are taking it this year with multiple stipulations. Next year they won't take it. I hate that anyone can go to medical school without the MEDICAL COLLEGE ADMISSIONS TEST.

Better than it used to be I guess. The old interviewer dood would tell people that they got in during the interview day.

I heard that too.

Seems like some things are changing for the better on that front.

I was interview by 2 clinical faculty and the Dean Nelson took us for a visit to one of the teaching hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got your Barry board numbers right here.

According to Amy Rodriguez, last year their first time pass rate was 87% and the year before the first time pass rate was 92%. Anyone else who heard differently let me know because whoever said numbers are skewed by schools are correct because even though they tell you the numbers they dont always specify if its first time, second time or the combination of the two.

Hmmm, either I got the wrong info or she does.

Last year was 83% and the year before was 79%.

I heard that too.

Seems like some things are changing for the better on that front.

I was interview by 2 clinical faculty and the Dean Nelson took us for a visit to one of the teaching hospitals.

Hopefully...

When I interviewed there, the person who was to interview me was nowhere to be found. I waited for 45 minutes. finally, they grabbed some random faculty member who had never done an interview before to "interview" me. Never met the Dean, or anyone else of any importance.

He did tell me that I could get my MBA at the same time without even taking the GMAT:laugh:.

I already had my acceptances to Midwestern and Western so I really didn't care that they had wasted my time and money. The beach was great!

I applied to temple, nycpm, ocpm, western, cspm, and Barry. I received invitations from temple, nycpm, cspm, and ocpm within a couple weeks. Barry and Western have said they are reviewing my application. Western sent this message about 10 days ago and Barry about the same. How long does it take for Western and Barry to get back to you? I heard multiple people say that it takes 2 days only...I was just wondering what was going on...

Also in terms of acceptance...how competative is western? (compared to Temple, NYCPM, and OCPM)

Maybe a current student or someone that has been accepted could give their insight?

I know its a new school with temporary accredidation, no alumni network, and fewer applicants...wouldn't that make it easier to get into?

I applied to temple, nycpm, ocpm, western, cspm, and Barry. I received invitations from temple, nycpm, cspm, and ocpm within a couple weeks. Barry and Western have said they are reviewing my application. Western sent this message about 10 days ago and Barry about the same. How long does it take for Western and Barry to get back to you? I heard multiple people say that it takes 2 days only...I was just wondering what was going on...

Also in terms of acceptance...how competative is western? (compared to Temple, NYCPM, and OCPM)

Maybe a current student or someone that has been accepted could give their insight?

I know its a new school with temporary accredidation, no alumni network, and fewer applicants...wouldn't that make it easier to get into?

That's what I thought when I applied last year as well. But it is not really the case.

Being the 'new kid on the block,' Western is trying to make a name for itself as quick as possible. Being known as an easy school to get into is counterproductive to what the goals of the faculty are. Our charter class was smaller than what they were aiming for because they didn't lower entrance requirements just to fill seats.

Our class of 2013 average stats were:

Overall GPA: 3.24
Science GPA: 3.14
MCAT: 22

There were 238 applicants last year, and only 80 interviews were granted (link).

To put it into perspective, as per your question, I interviewed at OCPM with someone from Southern California. We both received our same day acceptances to OCPM. He was quite bummed out though because Western didn't even offer him an interview.

I try to stay in touch with the admission department and help out whenever I can with perspective students. We have had tremendous candidates so far -a couple of 4.0 students. The faculty expects that the entrance stats for the class of 2014 will be higher than it was for us.

Without knowing your stats it is hard to gauge whether you are competitive for Western or not. We are in full swing as far as interviews go though.

To answer your question, IMO, I think that Western is more competitive than Temple, NYCPM, and OCPM. Just my opinion though....

Good luck to you.

Hey darazon
Thanks for the input
I private messaged you with a couple questions and my stats

Ok so I'm pretty lost on what to wear. I was planning on wearing khakis, button up w/ tie, sports coat, and brown shoes. Would this be acceptable? I've heard a suit is a good choice, but I don't have one and wanted to avoid that route if I could.

Ok so I'm pretty lost on what to wear. I was planning on wearing khakis, button up w/ tie, sports coat, and brown shoes. Would this be acceptable? I've heard a suit is a good choice, but I don't have one and wanted to avoid that route if I could.

Khakis are too informal, go for a suit. Always.

You are interviewing for at a professional school, IMO wearing anything less than a suit would be inappropriate.

Will some people wear a sport coat? Probably. The question is, why would you want to be anything less than the best dressed applicant in your group?

If you don't own a suit, take this opportunity to upgrade your wardrobe with a nice charcoal gray or dark navy suit. Both are very versatile.
There will be plenty more situations where a suit and tie are called for as you progress from the undergraduate environment into the professional ranks.

You are interviewing for at a professional school, IMO wearing anything less than a suit would be inappropriate.

Will some people wear a sport coat? Probably. The question is, why would you want to be anything less than the best dressed applicant in your group?

If you don't own a suit, take this opportunity to upgrade your wardrobe with a nice charcoal gray or dark navy suit. Both are very versatile.
There will be plenty more situations where a suit and tie are called for as you progress from the undergraduate environment into the professional ranks.

I agree 100%. Besides, a suit is an essential part of any man's wardrobe. Even if you never wear one, everyone should have one in their closet just for moments like these.

I have toyed with the idea of podiatry, but I have heard many bad things about the field. If what I've heard isn't bad enough, I don't trust the aacpm either. They have exaggerations all over their website. Some of the figures they say podiatrist earn seem kind of high, especially after reading what actual podiatrist say. I also don't like how the podiatry school webpages are sketchy.

On second thought, jeans and a tee might be just the thing for you. Actually, try cargo shorts and a popped collar. You're a star kiddo, go get'm!!

I agree 100%. Besides, a suit is an essential part of any man's wardrobe. Even if you never wear one, everyone should have one in their closet just for moments like these.

i always just assumed that every man had a suit.

but then again, i did by a new skirt for my interviews...any excuse to buy new clothes is a good excuse...

i think guys always look good in pinstripes!!

Would a black sport coat and matching colored slacks with red shirt and tie combo be a good choice? or what?

Would a black sport coat and matching colored slacks with red shirt and tie combo be a good choice? or what?

I've never been really pleased with my attempts to color match separate pants and jackets, even black and black.

If the two pieces aren't cut from the same fabric, the result just never seems quite right to my eye. Just my opinion.

The crisp white shirt and dark burgundy tie is a classic look, I don't think you could go wrong with that.

Big no-no. Like that1guyfromFL said, this is sartorial blasphemy. If you MUST wear a sport coat, then don't try to do black on black. Better to look under-dressed than style-handicapped. The material and textures will almost never match. No offense intended but is it seriously that big of a hardship to go and purchase a cheap suit? I have a wife and 2 kids and can manage it so I'm guessing that you single chaps should be able to scrape a few together as well. At the very least, check out your local Goodwill, D.I. or Savers and see if you can find a decent hand-me-down.

IMO though, a suit is an investment. Drop $500 and you won't regret it.

Big no-no. Like that1guyfromFL said, this is sartorial blasphemy. If you MUST wear a sport coat, then don't try to do black on black. Better to look under-dressed than style-handicapped. The material and textures will almost never match. No offense intended but is it seriously that big of a hardship to go and purchase a cheap suit? I have a wife and 2 kids and can manage it so I'm guessing that you single chaps should be able to scrape a few together as well. At the very least, check out your local Goodwill, D.I. or Savers and see if you can find a decent hand-me-down.

IMO though, a suit is an investment. Drop $500 and you won't regret it.

Men's warehouse $200 tops. You guys all need suits, NO sportcoats.

Men's warehouse $200 tops. You guys all need suits, NO sportcoats.

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't saying you can't get a decent suit for less than $500. I was pointing out that spending $500 is a good investment. You can get plenty of suits for much less than that. In fact, you can get a suit from Target for less than $100 that will probably look nice and hold up through your interviews, but a $500+ suit will last you a long time and will be cut from good quality material. The difference between a $200 Men's Warehouse suit and a $1200 Hugo Boss suit is huge. Now do I think its wise to get a premium brand suit right now?... probably not, but if you're going to buy a lower priced suit, IMO you could probably find something just as decent at a thrift store and would save yourself the extra $195 that it would cost you at MW. In fact, I donated some near-new suits to my local goodwill a few weeks ago because I grew too pudgy for them. It happens all the time.

However, we both agree. Suits are essential no matter what kind you buy.

I'm headed to Scholl (as soon as I get the money together for the deposit it will be official) so I'm going to cancel my interview at AZPOD. It is scheduled for December 10th, so an extra spot should be opening up for the 10th in the very near future! Good luck all. :)

However, we both agree. Suits are essential no matter what kind you buy.

Exactly. When I interviewed I didn't see anyone without a suit, but this year I saw at least 3 or 4 interviewees with...well, you name it: White socks, mismatching socks, mismatched sport coat and bottoms, jeans (yes, really). I mean, it doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive the suit is, as long as its a decent suit, dark socks and a tie. I mean, really.

And one more thing...please leave your parents at home! Do not bring them to your interview. Yes, this happens and it's tacky. I understand you're traveling from across the US for the first time, OK. If you take your parents on the trip, leave them at the hotel for the day. If they want to see the school too, you can stay an extra day or two and see the entire city, school, etc. on your own time.

And one more thing...please leave your parents at home! Do not bring them to your interview. Yes, this happens and it's tacky. I understand you're traveling from across the US for the first time, OK. If you take your parents on the trip, leave them at the hotel for the day. If they want to see the school too, you can stay an extra day or two and see the entire city, school, etc. on your own time.
Yes...it is very weird. Parents to a professional school interview? I hope people aren't considering this. I've never seen it yet, but there are those few...

Ok no parents got it. How about a friend? I'm posing the question because Im having a friend go with be and I plan to talk to the school and request if they can join for the tour potion only. That's it. Then they will be on their own most likely going back to the hotel. Would that be ok? Anyone seen that during their inteviews? Current students who are part of the process please voice your opinions on my question please. Thanks.

It's not professional to have someone else there with you. Don't bring your parents, wife, friend, pet, etc. Come alone, the only thing you want to bring with you is something to take notes on. Oh and turn your cell phone off. One of the students I was interviewing with kept getting texts, it was very unprofessional.

"On second thought, jeans and a tee might be just the thing for you. Actually, try cargo shorts and a popped collar. You're a star kiddo, go get'm!!"

--haha good one...if podiatry doesn't work out for ya, you should def. look into comedy