Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
From what they told us on the open house tour, all lectures are held in a single auditorium in building C on that map.

Cool man. THANKS! :D Was curious where we would be having our classes and I might be running to early in the morning hahaha

I'm checking every hour as well. Trying to relax but I'm getting antsy, especially since some people have mentioned that admissions told them we should know by April 10th and that there was possibly a review meeting yesterday.

I think they did, I'm not positive though. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me and the other med scis! I know I had a lot of questions this time last year.

How was the first semester in terms of being able to spend enough time studying for the MCAT? And did you apply to med school while starting the med sci program?

Thanks!!

You have plenty of time to study for the MCAT in the summer. The preceptorship is only 1 week and the biostats class only meets twice a week. Even if biostats isn't your strong point, studying for it shouldn't take up too much time. The application workshops are only a few lectures and the health disparities conference was 2 days I believe. If you're not taking the intro biochem course, that would also free up some time. Basically, I think you should be able to study 5-6 hours a day comfortably for that 2.5 months.

I didn't apply when I started. I would say about 20% of my class didn't apply while in the program or started the application process but didn't follow through. Most of my classmates did apply, and I would suggest to most incoming med scis to apply now and try to apply as early as possible. You should also have enough time to fill out applications, and can use services on campus to help proofread your personal statement. Taking time off for interviews is also not an issue since that's basically an automatic excused absence and we have make up dates for every exam.

How does the preceptorship work? Can we do it any time during the summer? Also are we assigned someone or do we have a giant list that we can call to see who might be willing to let us shadow them?

How many people have have gotten into Medical school and specifically TCOM so far?

What class has been the most time consuming and/or difficult in the program?

Since you haven't applied yet, what are you planning on doing during the gap year? Were you trying to get into MD schools and thought a year of grades might help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the long responses but I wanted to be thorough!

Thanks so much! The longer the answers the better! :D
Are there tutors by any chance to help you out if you are struggling?

How is the library? Is it a nice place to study and is there enough room that it isn't over crowded and hard to find a spot?

Lastly, have you used the gym at all? How big is it and does it get crowded?

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer these questions.

Thanks for the info Sahren. Looking forward to May.

Also, do most of the students in class use a tablet, laptop or just use hand written notes. My daughter broke my ipad so I might be in the market for something.

I would say 95% of the class uses a laptop or tablet to take notes and 5% take notes by hand. If you don't want to buy anything before the program starts, it's easy to take notes by hand in the MCAT course and biostats (just print the slides beforehand). When you get to the core classes it's tough to keep up that way.

I might have to invest in a laptop. I really want to use a tablet but my note taking on tablet apps is pretty bad hah.

Did any of last year's Med Sci people find the MCAT course helpful? I don't necessarily have to take it because my score was just high enough to be exempt (I made a 28, and didn't a prep course); however, I feel a score above 30 would really improve my med school app. I just don't want to waste all of that money (it's over 1500 dollars) and time if the class isn't really helpful. Thoughts?!

Also how is the class scheduled- how many days per week? hours per session?

Oops one more question.... Thoughts on working? I work in the emergency department at a local hospital, and I can handle a lot on my plate (during undergrad I took 16+ hours and had 2 jobs), but I know the program is A LOT harder than undergrad.

Did any of last year's Med Sci people find the MCAT course helpful? I don't necessarily have to take it because my score was just high enough to be exempt (I made a 28, and didn't a prep course); however, I feel a score above 30 would really improve my med school app. I just don't want to waste all of that money (it's over 1500 dollars) and time if the class isn't really helpful. Thoughts?!

Also how is the class scheduled- how many days per week? hours per session?

Yeah how much exactly is the cost of the MCAT program?

Sahren, did you take the intro biochem class? Is so, how was it?

I have a different question too. What are some eatery options at the school? Is it cheap? Are they open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the committee will meet again?? I hope not receiving a response yet doesn't mean something bad....

I saw a summer schedule from a few years back and the mcat course was I think Monday through Friday for 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon. However, they posted on the facebook page that the biostats course might change to another time so that might end up changing the time for the mcat course.

As for biochem, I've heard that it can be considered a waste of time fpr students that have taken a biochem course already. People have told me that what you learn during summer biochem encompasses a week or 2 of the biochem course in the fall. I think it's at your discretion if you feel ill prepared. I, personally, am not going to take it.

I've thought about having a job during the medsci program, but still on the fence about it. I'm hoping for at least work study so my hours will be limited and won't interfere with school. However, I know that if I screw up in this program then my shot at TX med school is over.

They really advise against having a part time job while in the program because it can be very time intensive. That being said, some of my classmates have pulled off having weekend shifts, but then again I couldn't tell you how their grades are.

Also, this program is tough but I still found undergrad to be tougher. I'm not encouraging you to get a job, just trying to give a little perspective.

The few people that I know that have tried to work have made at least one C. There may be people who are working and doing just fine, but from my own experience the weekends can be a time to catch up with the material and make sure you understand it. There will be a test about every 10-14 days to any day that you get when they are not adding to the material should be taken advantage of. The one thing that I can say about the program is that I have not met anyone who thinks that it is easy, even the people with 4.0's will tell you the material is not always difficult it is really time consuming.

To give you a fair idea the biochem class runs about 5 weeks, and in that time we covered all the material I covered in Biochem I & II in undergrad plus a little more that I had never seen. You cover a years worth of material in a month. It sounds impossible, but you get used to it. I think by far the most difficult class is Physio, but the easiest core class is debatable I say immunology was easy, however a lot of people will disagree with me.

Anxious to hear if anyone has heard from the adcom.

haven't heard anything. been checking the portal and even this website every half hour. getting anxious because i'll have to move if i get accepted and it's going to be hard to find a decent place to live in such a short amount of time.

haven't heard anything. been checking the portal and even this website every half hour. getting anxious because i'll have to move if i get accepted and it's going to be hard to find a decent place to live in such a short amount of time.

I'm in the same boat. It's hard to make plans even in the short term right now. I'm stressing out about where to live etc. hopefully we will know soon.

Does anyone know when the last day is supposed to be for handing out decisions? Has anyone received a rejection notice??

I'm in the same boat. It's hard to make plans even in the short term right now. I'm stressing out about where to live etc. hopefully we will know soon.

Does anyone know when the last day is supposed to be for handing out decisions? Has anyone received a rejection notice??
I haven't heard anything either. A few wks ago someone said they called and was told to expect a decision on April 12....I have no idea if that's still the schedule.

When I asked them in March before I got really frustrated, because they said that they could hand out acceptances as late as the day before orientation (which is May 22-24, about a week before classes start). I was super frustrated and almost withdrew my application, but I calmed down and waited; then i got my acceptance one week later. Hope you hear back soon

When I asked them in March before I got really frustrated, because they said that they could hand out acceptances as late as the day before orientation (which is May 22-24, about a week before classes start). I was super frustrated and almost withdrew my application, but I calmed down and waited; then i got my acceptance one week later. Hope you hear back soon

i can't imagine waiting that long. i'm in rowlett right now and i have to give my current landlord at least 30 days notice before i move out. i would hate to drive from rowlett to fort worth every day until i find a place and that 30 days is up but i would also hate to pay double rent!

i haven't heard of anyone receiving a rejection yet. that could be good news or bad news depending on how you think about it.

i can't imagine waiting that long. i'm in rowlett right now and i have to give my current landlord at least 30 days notice before i move out. i would hate to drive from rowlett to fort worth every day until i find a place and that 30 days is up but i would also hate to pay double rent!

i haven't heard of anyone receiving a rejection yet. that could be good news or bad news depending on how you think about it.

Keep this in mind:

First off, RELAX.

FWIW, I got in at the end of April and so did a lot of my classmates, so try not to stress yourself out too much. You may have to wait 2-3 more weeks.

It seems to be pretty standard to be handing out acceptances late April, early May. Some will even move into late may as people that are on medical school wait lists begin to come off and give up their spots. It is a vicious cycle of trickle down acceptances.

Keep this in mind:

It seems to be pretty standard to be handing out acceptances late April, early May. Some will even move into late may as people that are on medical school wait lists begin to come off and give up their spots. It is a vicious cycle of trickle down acceptances.

thanks. i know people have said that many times but it's still good to hear now and again! the later it gets the more i start to second guess myself. my worrying is starting to get the best of me but i know i need to stay optimistic until i hear otherwise!

I am new to SDN but I have been following this feed for a few days! I finished applying for the Medical Masters program 3/12/13 and haven't heard anything yet. Quite anxious like most of you. For those of you who have been accepted, do you mind sharing your stats with the rest of us who are still waiting? It would help us get an idea of the typical student(s) who have gained admission thus far. Thank you!

My Stats:
undergrad GPA: 3.8 (BBA, Major: Marketing)
postbac/sci GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 22
Work Experience: 2 years working in ER.
Shadowing: OB/GYN, PCP, and General Surgery.
Volunteer: 100+ at local hospital
I have not applied to medical school before. Planning on applying in May 2013.

I think so far it looks like only two rounds of acceptances have been given out, and no rejections. This is just speculation on my part, but there have only been two dates where people reported good news, and no one has reported a rejection. I think rejections may come later, if at all...this may be more the "silent" rejection type of thing.

If the UNTHSC MedSci facebook page is any indication, only 54 (57 total members, 3 of which are admin/faculty) future students have joined, and you are only allowed to join if you have been accepted. So it appears that plenty of spots are still left.

I know I was in your shoes a few weeks ago, and it is hard to wait, but just be cautious about becoming "that person" who is impatient. Hurry up and wait is the name of the game from here on out. It will be the same type situation with med school, residency, etc. Better to get used to it now than to be impatient for the next 5 years or so.

how long does it take to get financial aid set up and ready to go? i'm running out of time if i get accepted!

also, what can you get as far as living expenses? my husband has a a decent job but we have a lot of bills and i know our rent will be much higher when we find a place. i'm worried that when i stop working we will be really missing that money around the house.

do you get many student holidays? is most of the course work on an individual level or is there some group work? just asking because i have not had good experiences with group work in the past :)

I have a feeling they might give acceptances tomorrow. The 2nd round of acceptances said you had to accept or decline your offer by April 10th, 8AM CDT.

Maybe the admissions office wants to make sure they don't accept over capacity and are accepting ppl slowly. I'm sure you will hear soon! :D

how long does it take to get financial aid set up and ready to go? i'm running out of time if i get accepted!

also, what can you get as far as living expenses? my husband has a a decent job but we have a lot of bills and i know our rent will be much higher when we find a place. i'm worried that when i stop working we will be really missing that money around the house.

do you get many student holidays? is most of the course work on an individual level or is there some group work? just asking because i have not had good experiences with group work in the past :)

As far as FinAid goes you can borrow quite a bit of money, I want to say its 7,000 a semester for regular loans, but there is also the Grad plus loans which will cover up to "cost of attendance". In state is around 36k, 36k-21k (7k per semester)= ~15k in Grad plus loans.
Cost can be found here:http://web.unthsc.edu/downloads/fil..._biomedical_sciences_ms_medical_sciences_cost

There are few holidays other than the breaks between semesters.

Most work is individual, but there is group work. Most group work is not worth a big portion of your grade and it fairly simple. For most people it brings your grade up not down. The thing to remember is that you are in a class full of people who are serious students and are trying to get into medical school. The biggest thing will be getting with your Team Based Learning (TBL) groups and making a deal that there is nothing wrong with not knowing an answer, but don't tell me you know unless you are fairly certain.

BMSC 5100 Application Workshops 1 SCH
BMSC 5390.001 Special Problems: Health Disparity Research and Education 1 SCH

Do these classes meet regularly or are they only a one/few time deal? Are all your classes that are taken in the summer other than the biostatistics class pass/fail?

As far as FinAid goes you can borrow quite a bit of money, I want to say its 7,000 a semester for regular loans, but there is also the Grad plus loans which will cover up to "cost of attendance". In state is around 36k, 36k-21k (7k per semester)= ~15k in Grad plus loans.
Cost can be found here:http://web.unthsc.edu/downloads/fil..._biomedical_sciences_ms_medical_sciences_cost

There are few holidays other than the breaks between semesters.

Most work is individual, but there is group work. Most group work is not worth a big portion of your grade and it fairly simple. For most people it brings your grade up not down. The thing to remember is that you are in a class full of people who are serious students and are trying to get into medical school. The biggest thing will be getting with your Team Based Learning (TBL) groups and making a deal that there is nothing wrong with not knowing an answer, but don't tell me you know unless you are fairly certain.

Yeah, I'm dealing with the financial aid part right now. The apartment I'm going for supposedly has dealt with students before, but they keep hassling me about my finances since I won't be working. I told them I'm still waiting for hear about the loans. I find it funny how they're pretty pushy, but with a pleasant voice heh.

I am new to SDN but I have been following this feed for a few days! I finished applying for the Medical Masters program 3/12/13 and haven't heard anything yet. Quite anxious like most of you. For those of you who have been accepted, do you mind sharing your stats with the rest of us who are still waiting? It would help us get an idea of the typical student(s) who have gained admission thus far. Thank you!

My Stats:
undergrad GPA: 3.8 (BBA, Major: Marketing)
postbac/sci GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 22
Work Experience: 2 years working in ER.
Shadowing: OB/GYN, PCP, and General Surgery.
Volunteer: 100+ at local hospital
I have not applied to medical school before. Planning on applying in May 2013.

I think I posted my stats earlier, but I'll just post them again.

ugpa: 3.4 (last 100 hours 3.8, bio major, chem minor)
MCAT: 23
work xp: I guess the somewhat relevant part is 3 years as a lab tech
shadowing: 1 yr interventional cardio (MD), 1 yr ENT (DO)
Volunteer: eh I think ~200 hrs in a variety of things, but most of it was at 2 hospitals
I applied to med school last may, but didn't send in secondaries after I received my MCAT

I'm thinking that this Friday (April 12th) may be a mass acceptance day. By looking at the past Facebook groups, it seems the class size is getting larger every year. There will probably be 200+ in the class this year. Good luck to everyone applying. I hope to see everyone in May!

Thanks UTsksk for sharing your stats with us!

Still no news for me... will notify here if something changes! Fingers Crossed!

Accepted as of 10am this morning. :) all the waiting paid off!

I got accepted too!!! I received an email from them. Need to accept by 8am April 25th. WHOOP!!!!

congrats to the two that got in today!

so i'm guessing there will be a few more acceptances sent out today and maybe tomorrow and then another round won't be sent out until the 26th or so. that seems to be the trend they are following. i didn't get my app completed until right before the deadline and they say the apps are reveiewed in the order that they're received so i'm hoping that's why i haven't heard anything.

Did you receive an email?

I received an email at 10:00am this morning confirming that I was accepted. I checked my student portal which showed a green check, and clicked the accept/decline option to confirm my acceptance.

So relieved, and grateful. Very excited to be a part of the UNT family looking forward to the MedSci program. See y'all in May!:)