Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope.....maybe they send out acceptances every two Fridays :/

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it's a little too late now, but on Monday if you don't hear any news, might be worth a shot to call the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started a thread for med sci 2013-14??

I checked my email every hour on Friday, obsessive. Hoping to find out soon. Sucks to think I'll have a month to find out where to live etc.

I checked my email every hour on Friday, obsessive. Hoping to find out soon. Sucks to think I'll have a month to find out where to live etc.
Yeah, trying to find a place to live is a stressful process to begin with. Having to find an affordable place near a school in the cultural district in 1 month, that just sucks

Anyone care to get to know each other a little while we wait? Where's everyone from/go to undergrad?

I'm from the Fort worth area and went to UNT. I'm also a newly-wed. :)

Anyone care to get to know each other a little while we wait? Where's everyone from/go to undergrad?

Congrats on the newlywed. I just graduated from St. Edward's in Austin. Hoping to be in Ft. Worth in may. Anyone applying to med school this cycle vs. waiting till post MS?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm from East Texas, but I've lived in the FW area for the past 7 years!

Congrats on the newlywed. I just graduated from St. Edward's in Austin. Hoping to be in Ft. Worth in may. Anyone applying to med school this cycle vs. waiting till post MS?
I am applying this cycle, hoping to enter med school the same year I finish the program.

That's definitely ideal but I'm thinking I'm retaking MCAT in August, so scores released late sept. may be too late for this cycle?? Thoughts?

Does anyone from last year's class or before know how much we can get in loans? Is it similar to the amount stated here: http://web.unthsc.edu/download/down...school_of_biomedical_sciences_ms_and_phd_cost

Trying to figure out how much I can spend for rent and stuff should I get in. Thanks y'all!

I didn't download your link, but you can borrow 20,500/year in Stafford Loans per year. Then you have to get a grad plus loan. If you go by the number they have a decent estimate, but I didn't end up spending that much. You can see their numbers here: http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200309/international_student_services/443/cost_of_attendance_budgets

I my apartment is around 950/mo for 2bed/2bath, and that includes all of the bills except electricity and cable/internet. Just to give you a rough idea.

Holmbeast....I believe the TMDSAS deadline to receive supporting documentation is Oct 15, unless you are applying to an Early Decision program. So taking the August MCAT should not be a problem.

Holmbeast....I believe the TMDSAS deadline to receive supporting documentation is Oct 15, unless you are applying to an Early Decision program. So taking the August MCAT should not be a problem.

Thank you yeah I know of plenty of people who made the deadline and still got interviews/accepted but I'm just worried about it being late in the cycle. I guess it couldn't hurt to apply either way

So students took out roughly 30k for the year?

That's definitely ideal but I'm thinking I'm retaking MCAT in August, so scores released late sept. may be too late for this cycle?? Thoughts?

I'm in the same situation. Postponing my May date to August to take the mcat prep in the summer. Its not ideal but I'll just have to go with it. Its kinda late for TX but I'm also applying oos DO.

I didn't download your link, but you can borrow 20,500/year in Stafford Loans per year. Then you have to get a grad plus loan. If you go by the number they have a decent estimate, but I didn't end up spending that much. You can see their numbers here: http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200309/international_student_services/443/cost_of_attendance_budgets

I my apartment is around 950/mo for 2bed/2bath, and that includes all of the bills except electricity and cable/internet. Just to give you a rough idea.

Thanks! It was really helpful. Now I just need to wait it out and hope I will be using this information soon!

--------

I think you guys should all apply this year even if you take the MCAT in August or later. If we do well in the program, I bet TCOM will take you no matter when you applied! :love:
And there are other DO schools that accept apps until like APRIL! so even August/Sept/Oct doesn't seem really all that late in comparison...

So students took out roughly 30k for the year?

Some might have, I didn't. I had some money to pay cash for things, I also got a roommate to share living expenses. Also, I would say that their estimations are pretty high in some of the categories. If you are good at living on a budget and manage your money well you can do it much cheaper. It just varies person to person on how much you have saved and how frugal you are.

I'll probably do some math tonight to see what kind of number i can live with. The plan thus far was to live solo since my wife and daughter plan to fly up to see me so i wouldn't want it to distract anyone else. I could change my mind if someone was in a similar situation. I plan to live pretty simple.

Last edited:
Had anyone heard from them? I tried calling yesterday but no one answered. I'm hoping that this Friday will be the day..

Nothing :/ I've been checking the portal every hr!!! Although I'm almost sure we won't hear anything until Friday (hopefully)....

I just got the email today at 4:30.. ACCEPTED!! I am so excited/relived. Good luck to everyone, I know I'll be seeing you in a few short months. :thumbup:

Congrats.....has your status on the portal changed?

I also was complete 3/4 but all I see on my portal is that my application is complete. I don't even have a green circle. I was told mid-april so I'm not worried at this point. Just find that odd...

Has anyone gotten a rejection letter? I'm curious because I've been complete for awhile now and haven't heard anything. I think they may be holding on to my app to see the other candidates as they may be on the fence about my app. I wonder what else I can send them to sway for an acceptance...?!

Any body know if the bio chem class in the fall will satisfy biochem pre req for other Texas schools even tho it's a grad course?

Accepted to this program as well as few more well known SMP programs like BU mams. Anybody in the same position and choosing UNT's program?

Guys, I just got in too.

Complete 3/8.

WooHoo!

You must accept the offer before 8:00 a.m. CST on April 10, 2013

Looks like I will be making a decision real soon if I am going here. I think most likely that I will be.

Last edited:
Accepted to this program as well as few more well known SMP programs like BU mams. Anybody in the same position and choosing UNT's program?

I guess the most important question would be whether or not you would be happy going to TCOM or some other D.O. school. If you prefer MD schools, I think it depends on how competitive you are already compared to most MD applicants if you want to go to a MD school in TX. If you want the best shot to attend any MD school then the BU program would definitely be the better choice. I guess it also depends on if you were interested in a 2 year track (Most BU students) vs 1 year track (TCOM)

I think BU would give you a better chance to attend a MD school overall compared to TCOM. Tuition wise, BU is a lot more expensive in terms of the SMP and MD program than TCOM (or most D.O. schools).

Last edited:
I just got accepted! I was complete 2/21. It feels awesome to no have to worry about it anymore. Good luck to all those who are still waiting.

Has anyone heard anything today?? I'm just sweatin it out down here. Hoping I find out something soon...

Nope. I'm just as anxious to hear anything.

My app hasn't even been reviewed yet according to the portal. I sent an email and I got a pretty generic response about many apps still needed to be reviewed.

Nope. I'm just as anxious to hear anything.

My app hasn't even been reviewed yet according to the portal. I sent an email and I got a pretty generic response about many apps still needed to be reviewed.

Where on the portal can you tell if it has been reviewed?

I called the GSBS this week and they indicated that they would hold another review meeting on Thursday most likely.

I called the GSBS this week and they indicated that they would hold another review meeting on Thursday most likely.

I wouldn't worry too much guys. I think I read that around 180+ start the program and the facebook group has a little over 50 people currently so it looks like there are a lot of seats left (even if some people don't have facebook, but I bet more than 90% of students do)!

I wouldn't worry too much guys. I think I read that around 180+ start the program and the facebook group has a little over 50 people currently so it looks like there are a lot of seats left (even if some people don't have facebook, but I bet more than 90% of students do)!
For sure. When I spoke to the admin office, they indicated that there were plenty of seats left so not to worry lol. Hoping for the best! We will all know soon enough!

Has anyone heard anything today?? I haven't....

I figured they meet all day today and start updating in the morning.