Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question for those individuals who were accepted last week (I think it was around April 23-24), when was your deadline to accept/decline your admission offer?

Mine was May 7th, by 8:00 AM.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for those individuals who were accepted last week (I think it was around April 23-24), when was your deadline to accept/decline your admission offer?

If we can base acceptance letters of the past, I think that will be when they send out the next wave of letters (or possible wait list). Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the matter?

There was a group of students accepted this past Tuesday, April 23. I was accepted on Tuesday, April 16. I think they are accepting students every Tuesday. Let's hope it's Tuesday because that is much sooner than Friday. :thumbup:

There was a group of students accepted this past Tuesday, April 23. I was accepted on Tuesday, April 16. I think they are accepting students every Tuesday. Let's hope it's Tuesday because that is much sooner than Friday. :thumbup:

Thank you, I didn't notice that trend. I really hope you're correct because I would much prefer Tuesday! :thumbup:

Did anyone on SDN attend the Discover myHSC day yesterday, April 27? If so, how was it?! Any good details about the program that you can share.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I didn't notice that trend. I really hope you're correct because I would much prefer Tuesday! :thumbup:

Did anyone on SDN attend the Discover myHSC day yesterday, April 27? If so, how was it?! Any good details about the program that you can share.

I'm not sure if you saw the FB group, but someone said on there:

1. If you're taking the mcat prep course, you have to take a practice one memorial weekend.
2. If you're planning on applying to med school this May, wait until after the workshop on med school apps!! They'll have admissions from a couple med schools there to give tips on essays, etc.
3. We'll be tested during orientation to figure out our best learning style

Hope this helps! Even if you haven't been accepted to the program, you can still see all the posts made there. It might help you learn a little bit more about the program if you wanted to find out. This is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MEDSBIOTCRM1314/

Have you heard anything yet? Nothing on my end....

Have you heard anything yet? Nothing on my end....

No, I haven't heard anything either :( I am so tired of waiting. I hope today is the day. I will definitely post here if I hear anything. I haven't emailed them yet, I think I will try my best to wait one more week to see if anything changes. Have you contacted anyone in the office?

No, I haven't heard anything either :( I am so tired of waiting. I hope today is the day. I will definitely post here if I hear anything. I haven't emailed them yet, I think I will try my best to wait one more week to see if anything changes. Have you contacted anyone in the office?
No, I decided to wait as well...

Hey guys I attended the myHSC event this weekend and they admins made it very clear that they will continue to review applications and make decisions up until the day of orientation. If you haven't beard back try and take it easy!! Good luck guys!

Hey guys I attended the myHSC event this weekend and they admins made it very clear that they will continue to review applications and make decisions up until the day of orientation. If you haven't beard back try and take it easy!! Good luck guys!

Thank you for that information. I hope I don't have to wait that long but at least I know there is still a chance of acceptance through that date. Thanks!

Hey, I just found out I got in!! Received an email at 4:58pm today! Must accept before 8am on May 15! Excited to be joining you guys in May! Good luck to those who are still waiting, hang in there!

Last edited:
Hey, I just found out I got in!! Received an email at 4:58pm today! Must accept before 8am on May 15! Excited to be joining you guys in May! Good luck to those who are still waiting, hang in there!

Great news, buddy!

If only I was so fortunate. Still no movement on my part. Hopefully they can squeeze me in!

Great news, buddy!

If only I was so fortunate. Still no movement on my part. Hopefully they can squeeze me in!

I think they may be letting a few people in every few days or so. My friend found out on Tuesday and I found out Wednesday. There is still a lot of room left in the class (according to the Facebook membership). Good luck! I hope to see you soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, your stats are really good, Plague Nice!
I think you might get in later then other people, but not sure why you got waitlisted.

Congrats peacelovehippe too! :)

Last edited:
Hey just wanted to let the people who are still waiting know that the facebook group is only at 120 so there are still plenty of spots left.

Sorry I should note that it's all speculative since I have no idea how many spots there are and how many acceptances have been given out already.

Last edited:
Haven't ever posted on this before so I don't know what I'm doing haha..but just received my "wait list notice" from UNT for their masters program. does anyone know if there is much movement on the wait list because I thought there were still seats open but I could be wrong..they take FOREVER to make decisions! Any info helps, thanks!

Last edited:
Haven't ever posted on this before so I don't know what I'm doing haha..but just received my "wait list notice" from UNT for their masters program. does anyone know if there is much movement on the wait list because I thought there were still seats open but I could be wrong..they take FOREVER to make decisions! Any info helps, thanks!

If you read through this thread, you can see other ppl in previous years that were also on the waitlist and accepted. I think there is a lot of movement, but you probably won't hear back until mid May which sucks if you have to move in that short amount of time. That's my guess anyways from reading through the entire thread. Hope it helps

I called the admissions office late last week and they told me they were reviewing apps up until May 22... then two days later I got my waitlist email notice and that people had to make decisions by certain days (like may 15 or something) but they can call us up until May 22 if were accepted... the wait continues!

Has anyone on the wait-list heard anything?

It seems that there are many people on the wait-list. I think they put everyone, who is not immediately accepted on the wait-list.. and so whenever May 22nd comes around if you are not accepted, then you are officially not in. That is my hypothesis though...

What are some good backups?

haven't heard anything. my back up is mississippi college (similar program) has had pretty good stats on people getting accepted and classes are taught at med school level

Hey guys. I applied to UNT and a couple other programs, but I am not sure whether to do a SMP or simply retake the mcat. My undergrad gpa was a rather low, 3.3 cumulative/3.1 science, and my mcat was a 29. Any opinions?

Got accepted yesterday!

I was wait listed too guys. Make sure to have your meningitis shot up to date, you have an idea of where you'd like to stay, and look into the books required. I'm doing that right now and I feel so rushed. So I can imagine how others would feel that get in within the next couple of days.

Hey guys. I applied to UNT and a couple other programs, but I am not sure whether to do a SMP or simply retake the mcat. My undergrad gpa was a rather low, 3.3 cumulative/3.1 science, and my mcat was a 29. Any opinions?

I think your stats are fine for D.O. schools and you will get in somewhere (but prob not UNT)

If you want to stay in TX (or other OOS MD schools), I think you should either take some more science classes full time (undergrad) + improve your MCAT OR do some kind of SMP program + improve your MCAT (if you want to go MD) unless you get into a school with high acceptance from their SMP like EVMS, UC, RFU, Toledo, or Tulane ACP.

Got accepted yesterday!

I was wait listed too guys. Make sure to have your meningitis shot up to date, you have an idea of where you'd like to stay, and look into the books required. I'm doing that right now and I feel so rushed. So I can imagine how others would feel that get in within the next couple of days.

Nice dude. We just got the book list yesterday so you didn't miss much. :) Good luck with the apartment search. There was a lot of discussion on apartments on the FB group so check that out.

Congrats on the acceptance ! Yeah I'm still waitlisted I hate that they won't tell me what number I am because if I'm far down I will just go with the other SMP! Another person said they got in like the second day of class for unt?! I'm stressing about apartment situation for both schools now ugh :/

Congrats on the acceptance ! Yeah I'm still waitlisted I hate that they won't tell me what number I am because if I'm far down I will just go with the other SMP! Another person said they got in like the second day of class for unt?! I'm stressing about apartment situation for both schools now ugh :/

Yeah, the apartment part can be kind of stressful since the ideal places are closest to the school, but they're the most expensive. It can get tedious finding the right place that is not too far from the school and won't destroy your budget. FYI, there are tons of apartment complexes.

I had an apartment locator help me find a place, it made it pretty easy narrowing down places. Here's her number if anyone needs it: 817-723-4451. Her name is Melody.

Hi people,

I have a great GPA TMDSAS 3.8. But a subpar MCAT 24. Would this program benefit me?

Hi people,

I have a great GPA TMDSAS 3.8. But a subpar MCAT 24. Would this program benefit me?

The program benefits anyone who does well in it (and is at least already somewhat competitive for med school). But, if everything else is in line on your application, you could probably get away with just getting a better MCAT.

Last edited:
Hey, just letting all the incoming MedScis know that the mixer on Friday will have previous medsci students to chat with so that you all can get an understanding of what lies ahead!

At orientation today, they stressed they look at EVERYTHING- not just the last 60 hours of coursework. They consider GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars/volunteer, clinical experiences, essays and LORs. They want people who are well rounded, which is how occasionally people with a lower MCAT or GPA can get in over those who just have a 4.0 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT.

Someone Mysterious said:
How good is the MedSci program?
It really depends on the person...some people in my class were 15-20 years outside the field, some had very bad uGPAs...TCOM is pretty good about taking more than just GPA into account (and graduate GPA for that matter). The whole purpose of the Medical Science MS degree plan is to show to not only TCOM, but to other Texas medical schools that you are able to handle the courseload, regardless of the hiccups in undergraduate

Last edited:
First time posting here, wondering if anyone could shed light as to whether it would be wise to take the mcat in January when applying to this program? I know the deadline is mid-March, but wasn't sure how much of a disadvantage it could cause given the rolling admissions. Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated.

For reference (Just completed BS),
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.3

I was wondering if any of the current MedScis can answer whether or not the 2013 MedSci GPA was released to your class (w/ deviation if possible)...thanks!

First time posting here, wondering if anyone could shed light as to whether it would be wise to take the mcat in January when applying to this program? I know the deadline is mid-March, but wasn't sure how much of a disadvantage it could cause given the rolling admissions. Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated.

For reference (Just completed BS),
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.3

I would not worry about the timing of the MCAT. Just make sure you do well so you won't have to take the MCAT class during the summer (which makes your life a lot easier!). No one heard back from admissions until after the deadline anyways. Some people that applied close to the deadlines got in not much later than those who applied really early from what I saw in the thread. There are lots of spots in this program so just try to get the best MCAT possible so you can take one of those seats. I really think all applications will be given consideration from how long they took to give the first acceptances to the program. Get you letters of rec and essay/payment done in time so that once the MCAT score comes out you can just e-mail it to them. Good luck!

Hey congrats everyone that got in this year! I have sent in my application to several DO schools but since Im from Texas Id like to stay here. I have pretty sub par stats a 3.0 science 2.8 overall for TMDSAS and a 3.3 science and 3.2 overall with AACOMAS combined with a 23 (10P 6V 7B). I'm retaking 8/22 and praying for improvement, but my question is would I be competitive for this program? I am a hispanic male and have a very strong upward trend (3.7 over the last 2 years with upper level science classes) 1st author original research with a presentation but no publication. I've been an EMT for two years, PT tech for 3 prior to that, a BS in health science and about to finish another in sports medicine.

Thank you in advance for your response I would really like to stay in Texas and think this program could be the answer to my prayers!

Hey congrats everyone that got in this year! I have sent in my application to several DO schools but since Im from Texas Id like to stay here. I have pretty sub par stats a 3.0 science 2.8 overall for TMDSAS and a 3.3 science and 3.2 overall with AACOMAS combined with a 23 (10P 6V 7B). I'm retaking 8/22 and praying for improvement, but my question is would I be competitive for this program? I am a hispanic male and have a very strong upward trend (3.7 over the last 2 years with upper level science classes) 1st author original research with a presentation but no publication. I've been an EMT for two years, PT tech for 3 prior to that, a BS in health science and about to finish another in sports medicine.

Thank you in advance for your response I would really like to stay in Texas and think this program could be the answer to my prayers!

You should be able to get into the Med Sci program without a problem. If you retake the MCAT and get a little higher that'll be even better. However, and I'm being blunt here, start planning on not getting into med school this application cycle. I had a 3.0cum GPA and a 36 MCAT and I didn't get in my first application cycle. I was also an engineering major, so lots of hard sciences and math that didn't help my GPA.

Your upward trend might help you out a lot, but that 3.0 is still always going to be there. Did you mention your upward trend in your application? If you haven't, at least try mentioning it in secondary application essays, otherwise adcoms might not notice it. But definitely plan for the worst, hope for the best. This program got me into med school for sure.

That's great to hear! Yeah I did mention it and I tried to explain how I've improved in my PS. I'm actually not expecting to get into any Texas schools at all this year but I figured it was at least worth a shot and I don't expect to get into any other DO schools either if my MCAT doesn't improve quiet a bit but same thing there, worst they can say is no. Also the more I think about this option the more I like it. I really would like to stay close to home and TCOM is an amazing school!

That's great to hear! Yeah I did mention it and I tried to explain how I've improved in my PS. I'm actually not expecting to get into any Texas schools at all this year but I figured it was at least worth a shot and I don't expect to get into any other DO schools either if my MCAT doesn't improve quiet a bit but same thing there, worst they can say is no. Also the more I think about this option the more I like it. I really would like to stay close to home and TCOM is an amazing school!

If your MCAT goes up and you don't have less than an 8 in all of the sections you might actually get into a DO school out of state. The MedSci program is really good, but the problem is that the adcom at TCOM doesn't really work with the MedSci students all that much. This year they placed the majority of the class on the wait-list, but had less than average movement and thus people with graduate GPAs above 3.5 did not get in. I'm not saying not to do this program, but I would not pass up an out of state spot just to attend this program. Just some things to think about. I didn't want to leave the state either, but going through another application cycle and wasting another year was not an option for me.

Oh really? I'm not going to withdraw my application at this point. Their web site claims that 60% of their graduates get in somewhere in Texas, I guess they just aren't contributing much to that? Also that statistic was for just ppl completing the program, is there very many ppl that get the 3.5 and don't get in somewhere?

Oh really? I'm not going to withdraw my application at this point. Their web site claims that 60% of their graduates get in somewhere in Texas, I guess they just aren't contributing much to that? Also that statistic was for just ppl completing the program, is there very many ppl that get the 3.5 and don't get in somewhere?

I would say that 60% probably includes out of state DO schools as well. There were quite a few with a 3.5+ that had no luck this year. You really need to have a strong application (including MCAT) in addition to a good Medsci GPA to be successful. There are no guarantees. That being said - it's a good program and if you do well in it, it can do nothing but help you.

I would say that 60% probably includes out of state DO schools as well. There were quite a few with a 3.5+ that had no luck this year. You really need to have a strong application (including MCAT) in addition to a good Medsci GPA to be successful. There are no guarantees. That being said - it's a good program and if you do well in it, it can do nothing but help you.

This year was bad in terms of wait list movement: 3.64 GPA and ended up riding the wait list into the pit of denial. About 36 MedScis were accepted last year (not including bridge), so try your hardest to make above a 3.7-3.8 (that seemed to be the magic number) and make sure your forms are in ASAP for interviews. I hope that I am given a second chance and accepted to TCOM for 2018 because it is a really good school, and is disappointing that a chunk of the class was denied due to sluggish wait list :(

This year was bad in terms of wait list movement: 3.64 GPA and ended up riding the wait list into the pit of denial. About 36 MedScis were accepted last year (not including bridge), so try your hardest to make above a 3.7-3.8 (that seemed to be the magic number) and make sure your forms are in ASAP for interviews. I hope that I am given a second chance and accepted to TCOM for 2018 because it is a really good school, and is disappointing that a chunk of the class was denied due to sluggish wait list :(

I'm not saying that it is a bad program, you learn a lot and experience somewhat the stress of your first year of medical school. The biggest thing is that the number given of 60% of their graduates going on to medical school in Texas is probably accurate, but calculated in a way to make it higher.

For instance this does not mean that 60% of people go directly from the program and into medical school. If they get in at any time in the future, one cycle or ten cycles later it still counts. Also, the 60% is probably over the life time of the program. When it first started they would only have a handful of students and even a few years ago they had around 100 people so the applicants were more competitive and thus more were able to get in.

As far as the sluggish wait-list goes, it may end up causing a domino effect. The students that ended up not getting in this cycle will get in next cycle, then there will be less med-sci spots for the current class (because they want diversity in their class). Or the kids that didn't get in this year could get skipped all together because they want to make sure they are able to take enough of the current medsci kids.

All I'm saying is don't pass up a sure thing from an out of state school just to attend this program because you want to go to school in Texas. It is entirely possible that you complete the program with an extra $40K in debt and still are only getting out of state offers.

I'm not sure if there's a new thread for the next cycle, so I guess I'll just post questions here, and hope they'll be answered. :)

1) How "nice" is FAFSA to the entirety of this program? From the posts that I've read in this thread, people seem to only receive loan offers, but nothing like need-based of which you see in undergrad. I'm 23 and living with my parents after graduating from TAMU in 2012, and my parents don't make that much, combined, annually. I essentially received a full ride from TAMU because of need-based scholarships, so I was wondering if anyone received some sort of need-based scholarships.

2) When does the application typically open? Again, from reading this thread, I've seen October and November. Looking at UNT's specific page for the MS in MedSci, the application is currently "closed" for updates.

I'm not sure if there's a new thread for the next cycle, so I guess I'll just post questions here, and hope they'll be answered. :)

1) How "nice" is FAFSA to the entirety of this program? From the posts that I've read in this thread, people seem to only receive loan offers, but nothing like need-based of which you see in undergrad. I'm 23 and living with my parents after graduating from TAMU in 2012, and my parents don't make that much, combined, annually. I essentially received a full ride from TAMU because of need-based scholarships, so I was wondering if anyone received some sort of need-based scholarships.

2) When does the application typically open? Again, from reading this thread, I've seen October and November. Looking at UNT's specific page for the MS in MedSci, the application is currently "closed" for updates.

1) So as far as need based finaid, I got a grant for the first semester there, but then congress passed a new law on finaid and they no longer offer federal grant money to graduate students. I did get stafford loans w/o interest at first, but lost those the second semester as well. The school did not to my knowledge offer any type of scholarship for students of this program, but you may want to call them to confirm that.

2) There isn't really a set time when it "opens" I think they used to say Jan. on their website, but many people were able to get them in earlier than that. They will not start to review them until march or April anyway so I guess Jan. is a perfectly good time to submit.

I got a grant (relatively small amount) for all 3 semesters, and about 35-40% of my loans were subsidized loans, and the rest was subsidized. The interest really builds on that unsubsidized one real quick.

I got a grant (relatively small amount) for all 3 semesters, and about 35-40% of my loans were subsidized loans, and the rest was subsidized. The interest really builds on that unsubsidized one real quick.

I'm not sure how that happened, but I had been approved for grants and subsidized loans for all 3 semesters, but when the new year rolled over I lost it. I still have the subsidized loans for 2012, but the 2013 loans were unsubsidized even though my aid plan from the summer shows that I was awarded the grants and unsubsidized loans for all three semesters. Here is some more information on the current situation:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized

Anybody apply for this program for next summer, yet? I've done everything except for the transcripts and LoRs, all of which are in the mail already, to be sent to UNT.

Maybe I'll even be complete before 11/1!

Also, this thread slowed way down, and no one said that they were rejected. So I'm wondering how many people were rejected...

Hey guys I'm interested in applying to this program for next summer and was wondering what kind of chances you all think I'll have. I graduated from a large public university in Texas with an overall gpa of 3.1 and science gpa of 3.0. I took the MCAT way back in 2009 and got a 24Q, but am planning on retaking it this coming spring. I also have a couple of publications from research as a second author, as well as plenty of hours shadowing and volunteering as well. Since graduating in May of 2012 I've transferred to another school and retook several of my pre-req science courses like O-Chem 1/2, Bio 1/2, Physics 1/2, and Gen Chem 1/2 over the past year and a half and have only gotten two B's so far, minus this semester of course but I'm looking on par to get a 4.0 this semester or possibly 2 A's and 1 B worst case scenario. That would put my gpa over the last year and a half at 3.64 and my overall gpa at roughly a 3.2-3.3 (sorry haven't sat down and thoroughly plugged in the numbers yet, just estimating). Trying to see if those numbers look competitive enough to get me into this program? thoughts? Any and all input greatly appreciated!