Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So we can file FAFSA even if we haven't officially been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I submitted everything about 3 weeks ago. I haven't gotten an email saying I was complete, but using my undergrad EUID (I went to UNT) I can the "green dot" saying I'm complete. I guess next thing is doing my Fafsa. I can't wait to start hearing decisions! Good luck to everyone. :thumbup:

Same here....did not received an email....used EID from tcom and got green dot (complete) in about two weeks. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also submitted everything last Monday but have not received any confirmation. I hope everything makes it in before the deadline!

I would like to remind everyone applying that I highly encourage you to apply to med school while you're in the program. It will give you a much greater chance of getting into TCOM, and bring you one year closer to being a doctor. If you've got an issue with being a DO, then you probably need to reevaluate why you want to be a doctor to begin with. That being said, good luck.

So I have been REALLY bothering the HSC GSBS office and I just received an email from them informing me that I should hear something mid-April. I am probably in the last "group" of applicants, so those who applied months ago should hear something sooner (hopefully)

Good to know, I'm sure we all appreciate your persistence in getting some answers. I'd think they would say "mid-April" as a blanket term in an attempt to appease us all, but hopefully some news comes in much earlier.

Wow!! That would only give me about 1 month to apply for financial aid, coordinate the renting of my current home, resign from my 8 year engineering job, look for a decent apartment, relocate my family of 4 and ace my last two classes!!! Oh and keep up with my shadowing.....tough times await me :s

Wow!! That would only give me about 1 month to apply for financial aid, coordinate the renting of my current home, resign from my 8 year engineering job, look for a decent apartment, relocate my family of 4 and ace my last two classes!!! Oh and keep up with my shadowing.....tough times await me :s

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've gotten the urge to look stuff up already about apartments since i don't want to be rushing at the end. But I don't want to assume I got in since I'm aware I'm not the ideal applicant.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've gotten the urge to look stuff up already about apartments since i don't want to be rushing at the end. But I don't want to assume I got in since I'm aware I'm not the ideal applicant.

"Ideal candidate" is so subjective though, right? Who knows, you may be just what they are looking for...

At the end of the whole process, it comes down to a lot of hard work, and just a bit of serendipity. That's what I believe anyway...

I've been trying to keep myself from obsessing over the student portal during spring break, and just go with the flow and find out when I find out...

Does anybody know the typical mcat test date for people taking the optional mcat course as part of the medical masters program?

"Ideal candidate" is so subjective though, right? Who knows, you may be just what they are looking for...

At the end of the whole process, it comes down to a lot of hard work, and just a bit of serendipity. That's what I believe anyway...

I've been trying to keep myself from obsessing over the student portal during spring break, and just go with the flow and find out when I find out...

Hah yeah, I've dropped my visits to the student portal significantly since I've taken up boxing. I like giving the hits, but taking one is another story haha.

Does anybody know the typical mcat test date for people taking the optional mcat course as part of the medical masters program?

I'd assume some time in August. One of the med sci's can provide better insight.

Members don't see this ad :)

I took the MCAT in early August around a week after the class ended.

As far as being an ideal candidate. 90% of the people in this program are not "ideal" candidates, if they were they would not need to complete the program to become more competitive. I can tell you there is a WIDE range of people in the program with undergrad GPA that run from 2.8-3.8 and MCATs from ~19-35 (these are the outliers I have heard of, but people could be lying, no one really knows but the admins).

Thank you murphys....I had registered for the early August mcat so that's good news!

ACCEPTED! Saw the portal just right now

I guess we'll be seeing each other this summer! Mine says the same thing!

Complete on 11/30, official acceptance 03/15

Also accepted! Completed app officially 2/4/13. See you all in May!

Completed 12/20
Acceptance 3/15

Thanks brew

Last edited:
Just received my acceptance email. Yay!

Congrats everybody, what a way to start the weekend!

Congrats guys!!!!!! Ahh makes me wish I had completed my app earlier. But it is so good to hear that some people have heard back already! Wahoo! :D

Anyone else here NOT on Facebook? I saw in the acceptance e mail that they had created a FB page for the new class, and were encouraging others to join.

I am not on FB, and really don't want to join...if the group is worthwhile though and has some valuable information, I may re-consider...

Just wondering if others had abandoned FB, and if so, were they considering re-joining for the MedSci FB group.

Last edited:
I can't find the FB group

Maybe they put that in the e mail pre-emptively, and haven't actually made the group searchable yet.

Yeah no luck finding it as well. I'll give it some time and try again. I started looking at housing and would anyone know where most of the students live? and what's considered a fair price for rent?

Yeah no luck finding it as well. I'll give it some time and try again. I started looking at housing and would anyone know where most of the students live? and what's considered a fair price for rent?
I've kind of been passively looking for the past 3 or 4 months, and also would like to know what areas the students tend to live in..

I've kind of been passively looking for the past 3 or 4 months, and also would like to know what areas the students tend to live in..

Idk about you but I found that website that they provided somewhat useless. Unless I wasn't searching properly.

Idk about you but I found that website that they provided somewhat useless. Unless I wasn't searching properly.
I just tried the Quick Search on the sidebar of the website, and there's about 15 listings in the $800-1600 range; I'm just not sure if a lot students live there, because some of those are pretty expensive.

I just tried the Quick Search on the sidebar of the website, and there's about 15 listings in the $800-1600 range; I'm just not sure if a lot students live there, because some of those are pretty expensive.

Yeah that seems high. I know I'm not from the area but i was hoping for 600 maybe 700 for a 1 bedroom that was relatively close

Most people live in Ridglea Village Apartments, Lofts at 7th, Montgomery Plaza ($$$) and the apartments across the street from MP, a few rent houses behind the school, and many are in the plethora of apartments off Bryant Irving. All great places to live.

There are some places in the neighborhood behind the school where folks subdivided a house into 2 apartments, converted their garage into an apartment, or there are a few small 8 unit apartments within walking distance from the school. You'll have to Craigslist it or just drive through that neighborhood. There are also some places across the street down the street behind McDonalds, near the fire station back there - not particularly high end, but close to campus. I stayed at Park Plaza apartments on Plaza Parkway and Aden Rd. The apartments were pretty good. Maintenance was very fast whenever there was an issue, and every month the management would put some chocolate or snack or something on our doors with some pun about how they're happy we live there. It was a fairly good location for me, Walmart and Target were really close, as well as an awesome grocery store called Aldi that has really inexpensive stuff, especially produce, eggs, and dairy. I probably saved $200 shopping there over the course of the year.

The lady that I used to help in the apartment search was really nice. Her name is Melodie Guthrie. She is free. The only thing is that if you end up going with one of the apartments she finds you you're supposed to put her down as a referral so that the apartments give her a commission. Her contact info is as follows.

Melody Guthrie
Apartment Connections
(817) 723-4451

If she asks, just say someone on SDN told you about her.

Is anyone else having issues with the accept/decline? I keep getting a run script error.

Is anyone else having issues with the accept/decline? I keep getting a run script error.

Mine worked without a problem. The place where it said "Congratulations! You've been accepted" turned into "We've received your intent to matriculate"

The one thing that I didn't expect was that the green check turned back into a greed dot on e I did the acceptance. My status shows as "we' e received your intent to matriculate" though, so I'm not stressing.

We should all be getting a letter in the mail at some point too.

Works now. Think it was just a computer problem.

Works now. Think it was just a computer problem.

I was considering messing with you and saying "run script error" only appears when they've rescinded an acceptance...but I don't need that kind of karma following me!

Glad it worked.

To those considering not joining the Facebook group, that is a really bad idea. A lot of information will get shared through the FB page, it is actually a decent resource for the class. We have people that made pages just for this class, they have no pictures and no information on them other than their class stuff. It is worth it simply to be able to look people up that you met and can't remember their name (since they will be focusing more on group assignments).

As far as apartments, Bryant-Irvin Rd. seems to be the most popular place. Some of the others that are closer to the school can be pretty expensive. We found a place at the Lodge at River Park 2br 2ba for $900, but there are better and worse deals out there.

I was considering messing with you and saying "run script error" only appears when they've rescinded an acceptance...but I don't need that kind of karma following me!

Glad it worked.

Haha don't forget guilt.

Facebook is really handy for sharing information, notes, getting reminders for stuff, hearing about pop quizzes, etc.

Also, when looking for an apartment, keep in mind what traffic will be like for your commute, whether or not you'll encounter a lot of lights, etc. Depending how far away you live it can be bad. I seem to recall a lot of folks living far away on either Bryant Irving or Vickery complaining of traffic in the morning. Generally speaking I didn't have too much trouble with I-30 East bound in the mornings.

The facebook group is up.

Does anyone know what date to get in August after the mcat prep or who to ask about it? Decided to push back my May date to take it after the prep.

Anyone know how often the admissions com meets to review apps and hand out decisions? Still waiting...

The facebook group is up.

Does anyone know what date to get in August after the mcat prep or who to ask about it? Decided to push back my May date to take it after the prep.

Even though I didn't take the MCAT course, I seem to recall it finishing up at the end of the first week of August. And then we got 2 weeks off before school started.

Anyone know how often the admissions com meets to review apps and hand out decisions? Still waiting...

Not sure, but from looking at past threads I think they hand out acceptances on Fridays.

Not sure, but from looking at past threads I think they hand out acceptances on Fridays.

That's what I was thinking, was hoping to find out sooner. I'm just anxious to hear back. Thanks.