Immunology WW: Keep The Cat Alive Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad we have smart people playing. I was thinking just euthanize and submit for necropsy
And here we have a future pathologist!

I agree that history and PE should be done first.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know what our resources are like or how labwork is really going to work, but I'd like a cbc/chem/ua and felv/fiv test. And more importantly today's PE findings and some vaccine and life history.

Would a UA be included in baseline testing?

min database includes: cbc/chem/ua. If this weren't an immuno game, I'd also like electrolytes.

I'd also maybe consider fecal or fpl.

I really need to know the clinical signs, first, though

Would a UA be included in baseline testing?
Traditionally UA is considered part of the minimum database along with CBC and chem. And in my mind chem includes electrolytes.

Normally I would say baseline chem is good too. However, I'm worried that most to nearly all chem abnormalities will be from the wolf kills, so will be based on where the kill occurred (maybe up bilirubin from hemolysis if bloodstream, acidotic from decreased CO2 exchange if respiratory, etc.). Maybe try one chem to get a baseline and see what, if anything we can learn? What are people's thoughts on this theory?
I agree that it's possible we'll get info about wolf kills from the chemistry, but if the wolves are certain pathogens that we have to kill in different ways, I think the bloodwork may be extremely valuable in figuring out which pathogens we are dealing with and how to best go about killing those pathogens. While I don't think we should just be asking for bloodwork willy-nilly and we should be strategic about it, I do think that chem data will be valuable. But maybe I'm biased because clin path is my thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree getting the baseline values from a CBC/Chem/UA would probably be helpful even if our cat turns out to be normal right now. Also like trilts idea of a snap test. But if we can only pick 1 or 2 things to start with - I'm for history/PE

Stick a thermometer up her butt! That's my vote.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 14 users
I'm glad we have smart people playing. I was thinking just euthanize and submit for necropsy
:laugh:
My professors prefer the term "therapeutic necropsy".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Glad some people actually know immuno.... because I didn't pay attention in undergrad and haven't taken that yet.

Agree on baseline labs, but we need to figure out what is available/how that happens.

Reactions: 2 users
In order of preferred intel:
Signalment & History (including vaccination status, indoor vs. outdoor, contact with other animals, etc)
PE
CBC
Chem
UA
Snap tests
Fecal

Think that about covers it for now?

Members don't see this ad :)
In order of preferred intel:
Signalment & History (including vaccination status, indoor vs. outdoor, contact with other animals, etc)
PE
CBC
Chem
UA
Snap tests
Fecal

Think that about covers it for now?
I think I'd prefer fecal over snap tests, personally. especially with a cat that likes to get into human food. There's a possibility of parasitism, bacterial overgrowth, etc

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if he's actually using her irl history or not, lol, I just know she likes to steal food from chatting with him. My fb stalking shows that she is a tabby (or tabico, it's only a face pic) and possibly shelter kitten?

In an immuno game I very much want to know initial viral status I think.

Stick a thermometer up her butt! That's my vote.

Leave it to Lupin to go right for the butt stuff.

My minimum database is CBC/Chem17/Lytes, FeLV/FIV, T4, Fecal, fPL, UA, and full body MR. :)

History/PE taking is for wussy vets. Be like your MD counterparts - ain't nobody got time for a history and PE.

This is already making me feel very inadequate with my I-passed-first-semester-of-first-year knowledge...

But I would agree with what almost everyone has said (except teep :p )...I think we need, at minimum, a PE/signalment/Hx, CBC/chem/UA, and FIV/FeLV

My minimum database is CBC/Chem17/Lytes, FeLV/FIV, T4, Fecal, fPL, UA, and full body MR. :)

This is already making me feel very inadequate with my I-passed-first-semester-of-first-year knowledge...

But I would agree with what almost everyone has said (except teep :p )...I think we need, at minimum, a PE/signalment/Hx, CBC/chem/UA, and FIV/FeLV

Okay, but if our minimum database can only be added to one test at a time, where would you start? I think STL is a wallet-conscious owner who won't okay everything at once.

LIS realized that he needed a sub early on, so he is being replaced by Karabiner13. The roster has been edited to reflect this change.

I'm sitting here like, "when I had cats, I took them to the vet, and I'm pretty sure I've heard some of those words before..."

Reactions: 7 users
Okay, but if our minimum database can only be added to one test at a time, where would you start? I think STL is a wallet-conscious owner who won't okay everything at once.

Personally I would like to do a PE first, but I understand those who want to go right to bloodwork.

Funny thing is, I finished immuno in August and I'm still lost.

I am in agreement with the blood work, especially since we don't have much of a history or a cheap client that would prevent us from doing it :p

So what I gather from the intro is that specific roles can request lab work. So whatever we're discussing and deciding tonight can just be thrown out the window by whomever has one of those roles, and decides to request a bone marrow biopsy right off the bat? I am right in that interpretation?

Also seems like this might be a convert-heavy game to me. Like a bunch of bacteria is hanging out in the GIT, not bothering anyone, until we throw some antibiotics at the cat, and suddenly Clostridium goes all wolfy.

Reactions: 6 users
Personally I would like to do a PE first, but I understand those who want to go right to bloodwork.

How telling the PE would be is dependent on what clinical signs are presenting (afaik). So if Layla initially presents with fever and lethargy, that tells us nothing because there's tons of differentials from those signs. I think it's best to see what the blood is doing and see how it changes from the start.

I call hazelmoo has the "radiologist" role.
I was wondering that or acting as our microscope for histologies or our printer/fax machine spitting out lab reports... except I thought STL said he would give us those, so I don't know.

I was wondering that or acting as our microscope for histologies or our printer/fax machine spitting out lab reports... except I thought STL said he would give us those, so I don't know.

I was kind of thinking she might be the cat, but that's sort of a reach based on her reactionary gifs to temp taking and euthanasia.

Guess I really need to brush up my immuno now

I echo what has been said about diagnostics. Although not quite sure which I would do first. If things are supposed to make sense and we are to think like diagnosticians then I would lean towards PE/history before bloodwork

So what I gather from the intro is that specific roles can request lab work. So whatever we're discussing and deciding tonight can just be thrown out the window by whomever has one of those roles, and decides to request a bone marrow biopsy right off the bat? I am right in that interpretation?

That's how I see it too. It sounded like us discussing it though might help whomever has those roles make their decision as to what to do

DISLIKE

giphy221.gif

You're not alone.
Add me to this club--but not even the immuno stuff so much as all this diagnostic talk (so lost...I am only a baby I haven't learned thing yet)

From my own (very limited and mostly tech-based) knowledge, I would suggest the PE/signalment/history take first priority , but I'm also not familiar with other diagnostics yet

I'm leaning toward supporting a PE before blood work or other tests.

Yaaaaasssss
Saaame. I haven't taken immuno yet AND I'm a WW noob.

I'd like to know history/PE, but I see what y'all are saying that want to jump straight to bloodwork. Is there anything else we should be thinking about and discussing at this point? I definitely need to reread that opening post...

Also I keep scrolling past "Lyla" and reading it as "Lyra." :p

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I get that a lot of the clinical signs on PE wouldn't necessarily lead us to any concrete conclusions. I guess it's just that vet school mindset of "your physical exam is your best weapon" :D CBC/chem aren't super specific either, but certainly are more specific than "the cat has a fever and is QAR".

Yeah, I get that a lot of the clinical signs on PE wouldn't necessarily lead us to any concrete conclusions. I guess it's just that vet school mindset of "your physical exam is your best weapon" :D CBC/chem aren't super specific either, but certainly are more specific than "the cat has a fever and is QAR".
it works with real life, too.

PE before blood IMO

This nooblet feels wayyyyy out of her league haha

Circuses are just inherently less intimidating, I think lol

Reactions: 5 users
I guess I felt like history/PE were a given. But if it's something we have to specifically ask for, yeah that should be first.

If prioritizing the different types of bloodwork and can only ask for one at a time, I'd start with a CBC for an immuno game. That way we can get a feel for baseline rbc, lymphocyte, neutrophil counts. Also blood film evaluation is a vital part of the CBC so hopefully the modgods include that info with it. If not, I'm going to have to get on a soapbox. On that note, if we can only do one, maybe we could request to draw serum tonight and hold it in the fridge in case we need to run it later?

I'll probably be fairly useless considering I've never taken immunology. Wasn't required for my B.S. and I'm not in vet school.

you will only be able to interact with people from the group you are in or the group you are going to. Thus, if I am in the GIT, I will not be able to interact with anyone from the respiratory tract, as it would take me two days to get there. I can however interact with anyone from the GIT, or anyone from the blood stream.

Another mechanic is that you can interact with anyone in your group, except when you are in the blood stream. While you are in the blood stream, you will not be able to pm with anyone until you enter another group (unless your role specifically states otherwise).

Mechanics question! In the example above, GIT-person can PM with anyone in GIT or bloodstream, presumably while still in GIT. But bloodstream person can't PM anyone until they've successfully moved to another group. Does that mean that the only way for someone in the bloodstream to be in a PM is for someone in an actual location to initiate the PM? Or am I completely misunderstanding the PM rules?

Mechanics question! In the example above, GIT-person can PM with anyone in GIT or bloodstream, presumably while still in GIT. But bloodstream person can't PM anyone until they've successfully moved to another group. Does that mean that the only way for someone in the bloodstream to be in a PM is for someone in an actual location to initiate the PM? Or am I completely misunderstanding the PM rules?
PMing is within group ONLY. The blood stream cannot pm at all, unless role says otherwise. What was being referred to is actions. Aka, if I am in the GIT, I can do my night action, which hypothetically we will call seering, on anyone in my group, or anyone in blood stream. If I chose someone in the blood stream, I would move to the blood stream at the end of the night. Being in the blood stream the next night, I would not be able to do any action except kill if I was a wolf or villager assassin, or move to another group.

Thus, there are a lot of tactics involved with moving groups/how you target people. If it's still not clear, let me know, and I will try and rephrase!