Having trouble deciding between UMBC and UMD College Park..HELP PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jz537

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to transfer but i have no idea which school would be better for me. I would like to become a dermatologist so i am trying to decide if it would be better for me to go to UMBC or College Park as a pre med student. I liked UMBC better as a campus when i went on a tour as opposed to College Park. Also College park is about an hour away from where i live right now and i would like to know if it would be worth it to move there to have a better chance of getting into medical school. Please help me with my decision guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting ready to transfer but i have no idea which school would be better for me. I would like to become a dermatologist so i am trying to decide if it would be better for me to go to UMBC or College Park as a pre med student. I liked UMBC better as a campus when i went on a tour as opposed to College Park. Also College park is about an hour away from where i live right now and i would like to know if it would be worth it to move there to have a better chance of getting into medical school. Please help me with my decision guys!

wrong forum...but I can assure you neither will have any effect on your goal of being a dermatologist, a goal that will likely change in the next 8 years. Neither of those schools will give you a better chance of getting into med school than the other, all things equal, so I would consider going to the place where you can a.) get a higher GPA and b.) would be more happy and fit in better. Good luck...I almost wish I was entering the awesomeness that is freshman year of college right now rather than working on applications.

thanks so much i appreciate your feed back! =]

Members don't see this ad :)
as a graduate of umcp, i can biasedly say that umcp > umbc. :)

of course neither will determine what kind of physician you will be. Just go where you will be happier (UMD-CP).

p.s. wrong forum

If you are trying to figure out which school to go to based on being a physician, it doesn't matter as both schools pump out pre-meds and both are equally competitive. You should then decide which school is a better match for you. Both schools are similar but also have a lot of differences.

Both schools are good for academics, but I personally think UMCP is better. More research opportunities, more prestigious, more challenging science courses (from what I've heard). My girlfriend goes to UMBC and really likes it, but I am biased because I graduated from UMCP and I think its an amazing public university.

as a graduate of umcp, i can biasedly say that umcp > umbc. :)

of course neither will determine what kind of physician you will be. Just go where you will be happier (UMD-CP).

p.s. wrong forum
UMBC is #1 up and coming schools but if you want better science GPA i will say UMCP will be easier.

Thanks!
i liked college park as a campus but not as much as umbc...plus if i did transfer to college park i'd want make sure it would be worth the move because it is an hour away from where i live. I think i am leaning more towards umbc but i am going to look into it some more

Status
Not open for further replies.