Georgetown vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimusRelic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to decide between attending SUNY Downstate or Georgetown. I've heard mixed things from people (SDN and elsewhere) about both schools, and while I am certainly thrilled to be holding these acceptances, I'm having a real difficult time deciding between the two. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice/thoughts/suggestions. While the low cost of tuition at Downstate is certainly alluring (and living close to home...), Georgetown seems to have the more recognized name. I just don't know if I can justify the cost...

At this point, I'd really appreciate any sort of guidance or thoughts/comments on the matter! Thank you in advance, and I wish everyone still waiting or deciding the best of luck in this crazy process!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say the reputations of the schools are about the same, however Georgetown has an undoubtedly more recognizable name due to its undergraduate and law schools. That said, DC and Flatbush are two completely different areas to live in. Which school had a better feel to you? Did either rub you the right or wrong way?

perceived prestige looks like the only reason you want to go to georgetown... not really a strong reason to justify the COA.

do you think either one has an considerable advantage in resources to medical students (research), or clinical training?

i guess you have to ask yourself what experiences you want out of your 4 years and whether georgetown is more likely to help you accomplish your goals. i can't pretend to be an expert on GW, but my gut reaction is that it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
perceived prestige looks like the only reason you want to go to georgetown... not really a strong reason to justify the COA.

do you think either one has an considerable advantage in resources to medical students (research), or clinical training?

i guess you have to ask yourself what experiences you want out of your 4 years and whether georgetown is more likely to help you accomplish your goals. i can't pretend to be an expert on GW, but my gut reaction is that it's probably not worth the extra cost.

GW is George Washington University (i.e., a different school).

whoops, sorry that was a mistake. does gtown have a good abbreviation? i could have swore it had one.

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it. I think I'm ultimately going to have to head back to both and check them out again.
Overall, Georgetown "felt" better I'd say - Downstate seemed a tad dingy at times. I just don't know if a recognizable name and a slightly homier feeling can justify ~20k more. With that said, Georgetown does offer a bit more in terms of opportunities for research, butthe clinical experience to be had in Brooklyn is a pretty impressive counter.

In terms of curriculum I get the sense that both are effective, but the grading system for Georgetown seems a bit intense/competitive (can anyone comment on this?).

Gah, I'm having so much trouble with this decision..

I don't mean to downplay the difficulty of your decision for you, but for me (as someone who is most likely going to Downstate--99% chance), I would say that Downstate would be my choice, hands down.

Assuming you're OOS and can gain IS tuition during M2-M4, you'll save about 75K..at least (since COA at GT is 75K whereas Downstate IS is about 50K).

Good luck with your decision, and hope to see you in the fall! :)

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it. I think I'm ultimately going to have to head back to both and check them out again.
Overall, Georgetown "felt" better I'd say - Downstate seemed a tad dingy at times. I just don't know if a recognizable name and a slightly homier feeling can justify ~20k more. With that said, Georgetown does offer a bit more in terms of opportunities for research, butthe clinical experience to be had in Brooklyn is a pretty impressive counter.

In terms of curriculum I get the sense that both are effective, but the grading system for Georgetown seems a bit intense/competitive (can anyone comment on this?).

Gah, I'm having so much trouble with this decision..

I don't know what to tell you man. You know the pros and cons of each, I'm sure you've even made a list. Oftentimes decisions like these are ones that escape logic; you just gotta do what feels right.

downstate gave me a really depressing vibe. Wasn't to thrilled about the location either.

I think a bunch of residency directors (especially ones in the tri-state area) look pretty favorably upon a DS degree mostly because of the exposure you'll get in the clinical years and they know that you'll be more able to jump right in during your internship - you're kind of treated like a doctor during these years because most people in the area just want to see someone, and they don't care if it's just a medical student.

Quite honestly, from what I remember, the facilities at Georgetown didn't seem to be all that much nicer than what you'd get at Downstate. And the name? Well for me, Georgetown and 'leader in medicine' are very far from being hand in hand. Sure it may have the bigger name because of the undergrad, so if you care what the dinner party guests think when you say the name, then go with Georgetown. But within the medical community, I wouldn't be suprised if Downstate had the better name.

I think a bunch of residency directors (especially ones in the tri-state area) look pretty favorably upon a DS degree mostly because of the exposure you'll get in the clinical years and they know that you'll be more able to jump right in during your internship - you're kind of treated like a doctor during these years because most people in the area just want to see someone, and they don't care if it's just a medical student.

Quite honestly, from what I remember, the facilities at Georgetown didn't seem to be all that much nicer than what you'd get at Downstate. And the name? Well for me, Georgetown and 'leader in medicine' are very far from being hand in hand. Sure it may have the bigger name because of the undergrad, so if you care what the dinner party guests think when you say the name, then go with Georgetown. But within the medical community, I wouldn't be suprised if Downstate had the better name.

:thumbup:

Exactly. And I did away rotations at other NYC area schools and had a problem with role confusion - at DS you're an integral part of the team, you have your own patients, etc, whereas at other places (I feel like most other places), you're more peripheral, even as a fourth year.

If you're not used to living in NYC, Downstate may be in an uncomfortable location for you to live in.

Med school is a stepping stone for residencies, right? Whichever school that can prepare you better for your residency of choice (upon a successful match!) should be the best bet. Just keep in mind how comfortable your school of choice would allow you to be, i.e. crime rate (safety), cost of living, tuition, monthly rent, going out (social life), etc

Members don't see this ad :)
At georgetown, you are paying more for the name. SUNY, hands down, has better opportunities. If you like the location, I'd stick with SUNY.

Downstate was the worst school I interviewed at.

Go to Gtwon. You're going to have a ridiculous amount of loans anyways. If you're going to do the 10 year payback like me, it doesn't matter how huge your loans are.. you pay back the same amount.

I had to choose between Gtown and SUNY Buffalo.. and I chose Gtown. 1 - amazing reputation and 2 - one of the best residency opportunities 3- I LOVE DC! (actually.. i thnk I love NY more thn DC.. bt Gtown is better handsdown)

Downstate was the worst school I interviewed at.

Go to Gtwon. You're going to have a ridiculous amount of loans anyways. If you're going to do the 10 year payback like me, it doesn't matter how huge your loans are.. you pay back the same amount.

I had to choose between Gtown and SUNY Buffalo.. and I chose Gtown. 1 - amazing reputation and 2 - one of the best residency opportunities 3- I LOVE DC! (actually.. i thnk I love NY more thn DC.. bt Gtown is better handsdown)

What made you say it was the "worst school" you interviewed at? Also, what 10 year payback program are you doing--loan forgiveness?

The OP definitely has a tough choice ahead, but it's up to him/her to decide whether COA outweighs a "perceived" reputation...b/c Downstate is cheaper handsdown, but I think on the basis of "name", GT gets more "recognition" amongst non-medical people.

From my interview experience, I liked DS much better than Gtown. Gtown's facilities were a bit run down and old. There was no vibrant mood there amongst the students. Also, keep in mind that for the lecture classes, you'll be taking them with Gtown's SMP students in 1 hall, 200 MS1 + 200 SMP = a whole lotta ppl.

:thumbup:

Exactly. And I did away rotations at other NYC area schools and had a problem with role confusion - at DS you're an integral part of the team, you have your own patients, etc, whereas at other places (I feel like most other places), you're more peripheral, even as a fourth year.

That just isn't true, even though you "feel" it.

What made you say it was the "worst school" you interviewed at? Also, what 10 year payback program are you doing--loan forgiveness?

Well.. for one.... the interview room looked like it was fashioned from cardboard. ya the 10 yr public service loan forgiveness

bt each of us has a different feeling wen we wak out of an interview. DS was the last school I interviewed at, and compared to all the other schools, I just could not see one good thing in DS.

i also found downstate depressing (fwiw i was deferred, so i guess the feeling was mutual, haha) - even their current students (the tour guides!) basically said that the only reason to go to downstate is because it is cheap!

despite that, i'm sure it's a fine school that will train you well, and for a lot less $$ than georgetown. while, like the poster above, i too am kinda banking on the loan forgiveness program, i'm also pretty worried that by the time i finish school, it will no longer exist. so cost is definitely still something to think about.

i will echo other's sentiments about the neighborhood downstate is in not being the best. don't know how this compares to georgetown, but, just my opinion, DC>NYC. lots of people disagree about that though, so that's really up to you.

Well.. for one.... the interview room looked like it was fashioned from cardboard. ya the 10 yr public service loan forgiveness

bt each of us has a different feeling wen we wak out of an interview. DS was the last school I interviewed at, and compared to all the other schools, I just could not see one good thing in DS.

I wonder where you interviewed, b/c that wasn't the impression I received. I will admit though, Downstate is a "state" school and it's age shows. I mean, it is a pretty old building.

Then again, I'm biased towards Downstate b/c I'm heading there and appearances of school facilities mean nothing to me. All that reallly matters to me is my educational and social experiences I'll gain from that school.

Last edited:
SUNY Downstate seems to make the most sense. The area really doesn't bother me, I just wish the facilities were a little nicer. I think the curriculum is really strong ,and I dig the Neuro Pathway option considering my interest in Neurology.

One thing I am concerned about, and hopefully someone can comment (perhaps a Downstate student or know someone?). Although I could be wrong, I really did get the feel that the faculty didn't care very much and the class didn't seem as cohesive/friendly as they did at Georgetown (and most other schools for that matter). I really hope this is not the case...I can get over the facilities being a little dingy (although the Anatomy lab was actually not too shabby), but I don't think I will be comfortable surrounded by apathetic/cold students and professors.

SUNY Downstate seems to make the most sense. The area really doesn't bother me, I just wish the facilities were a little nicer. I think the curriculum is really strong ,and I dig the Neuro Pathway option considering my interest in Neurology.

One thing I am concerned about, and hopefully someone can comment (perhaps a Downstate student or know someone?). Although I could be wrong, I really did get the feel that the faculty didn't care very much and the class didn't seem as cohesive/friendly as they did at Georgetown (and most other schools for that matter). I really hope this is not the case...I can get over the facilities being a little dingy (although the Anatomy lab was actually not too shabby), but I don't think I will be comfortable surrounded by apathetic/cold students and professors.

When I was at Research Day/Shadow a Student, both students/faculty seemed really nice and welcoming to me as a prospective student. In particular, I met one very very very friendly professor who was extremely interested in socializing and giving us valuable insight about the school and its research programs.

That's really good to hear. Thanks for all your input, asyouwereatrio, was very helpful. Did you get a sense the students worked together/ had a good relationship with one another? I go to a small-ish public school and I feel like I thrive in an environment where there's a sense of cohesiveness/comradery..

I decided that I am going to give Downstate another look this weekend. I went to my interview with a 101 fever on a rainy, cold day so I think it deserves another look. I think I've eliminated Georgetown, I really don't think I can justify the COA. It hurts to do so given the name, but I just don't think it makes sense for me personally. I put Penn State back into consideration (of course, make life more difficult for myself), but I'm kind of hoping I enjoy my second visit at SUNY this weekend so I can just commit to something and move on with my life.

Additional comments/considerations about Downstate are welcome though! =]

That's really good to hear. Thanks for all your input, asyouwereatrio, was very helpful. Did you get a sense the students worked together/ had a good relationship with one another? I go to a small-ish public school and I feel like I thrive in an environment where there's a sense of cohesiveness/comradery..

I decided that I am going to give Downstate another look this weekend. I went to my interview with a 101 fever on a rainy, cold day so I think it deserves another look. I think I've eliminated Georgetown, I really don't think I can justify the COA. It hurts to do so given the name, but I just don't think it makes sense for me personally. I put Penn State back into consideration (of course, make life more difficult for myself), but I'm kind of hoping I enjoy my second visit at SUNY this weekend so I can just commit to something and move on with my life.

Additional comments/considerations about Downstate are welcome though! =]

I agree with your decision on choosing DS over GT. One of my good friends will be graduating from DS in a couple months and she did really well in the match. But more importantly, she is a really social person and she picked DS over other schools and loved it there primarily because of the social atmosphere and clinical opportunities in third year. She loved the location and the student outtings. She also loved that students get in state tuition after only a year!

She is only one person, obviously, but just thought I would throw that out there. I was rejected from DS, darn! Wish I could have gone

Status
Not open for further replies.