Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how full the class is so far? I'm waiting for my spring grades to come in so I can submit them to Georgetown.

Members don't see this ad.

When you are accepted into the program an email recommends you sign-up onto the yahoo SMP board in order to receive messages and updates from faculty and communicate with other SMP members. Currently there are 127 people registered in the SMP group. So, if the program traditionally accepts 180 atudents, then it is approximately 70% full.

When you are accepted into the program an email recommends you sign-up onto the yahoo SMP board in order to receive messages and updates from faculty and communicate with other SMP members. Currently there are 127 people registered in the SMP group. So, if the program traditionally accepts 180 atudents, then it is approximately 70% full.

Good way to gauge, but just to note... There are 182 students in my class, and the Yahoo group never got up that high, last I checked there were still people who hadn't joined...

So odds are there are a few more people accepted to haven't joined.

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel so sad... i just got my mcat score today
ps: 11
vr: 6 :confused::(:mad:
bs: 14

this is a retake (10, 6, 12 the 1st time). my practice averaged about an 8 on verbal, and even scored a 10 on a princeton test 2 days before...

should i retake?? i have a 3.7 gpa and am doing to smp for sure...

this is a retake (10, 6, 12 the 1st time). my practice averaged about an 8 on verbal, and even scored a 10 on a princeton test 2 days before...

Why are you doing the SMP?

Why are you doing the SMP?

this is my second time applying. i NEED to get in this time around and am doing everything i can to make sure i get in... plus i've been out of school for 3 years. i need to get back into school. smp helps my apps and i get to go to school... i just makes sense...

this is my second time applying. i NEED to get in this time around and am doing everything i can to make sure i get in... plus i've been out of school for 3 years. i need to get back into school. smp helps my apps and i get to go to school... i just makes sense...

I'd personally advice against you doing an SMP. With a 31 MCAT and a 3.7 you can, and will get in without it. You could easily save yourself the 60K. By ensuring an early application, to an appropriately broad list of schools you truly could get in this cycle, assuming you have good LOR's, and EC's. There are people in the program with the higher GPA's, but have nothing to gain and everything to lose. So just be careful.

Yeah don't do an SMP - that 6 is going to really hurt and some school's won't look at you for it, but an SMP isn't going to change that. Your GPA is fine, and your overall MCAT is fine. No need for an SMP.

should i retake??

If I were an adcom, which I'm not, but I'm a grumpy woman over 40, I'd be thinking "what's going on that he/she can't improve on a 6? Who wrote his/her PS?" And if the rest of your app was solid and we invited you for an interview, there'd be a very, very strong focus on your ability to communicate clearly and professionally. This would not be a preferable setup for you.

What did you do for MCAT prep? What's your writing sample score? Is English a second language?

How is the rest of your app? Are you very sure that your letters of recommendation are strong? Do you have interesting EC's? Did you have grumpy disapproving adult faculty give you feedback on your PS?

I'd hate to see you retake. But I'd hate to see you get kept out for that 6.

i have a 3.7 gpa and am doing to smp for sure...

No, it doesn't. If that 6 in verbal kills your app, an SMP will not revive it. Doing an SMP demonstrates prowess in rigorous science - you've already demonstrated this with your 3.7. An SMP in your case just proves you can write checks.

This isn't a race, and to be very frank with you, a second 6 in verbal says to me that no, you don't need this. You would have aimed for a 10 or a 12 if you needed it. You are where you are, and an SMP won't put you in a different place.

I love that 14 though. Holy cow. That might make up for everything, you never know.

Best of luck to you.

With all due respect, it makes absolutely no sense for you to enter a SMP. Like several others have pointed out, your low verbal will be the sole stat barring your acceptance from several schools, but not all. If you were to do the SMP this fall and apply broadly, I bet that you would garner an acceptance that had nothing to do with your being in the program.

While I do believe that you will get into gtown's SMP because of your impressive GPA, it wouldn't benefit you nearly as much as an applicant who actually needs it.

Also, just to support what we've all been saying. I personally know someone who had a 3.9 and a good MCAT score, but a 7 in verbal. She went on to get into some great schools. So that low Verbal score won't kill you, if you apply smartly and broadly you could be starting medical school next Fall!

My advice is that if you want to do more school to get back into the swing of things do another non SMP 1 year masters like USF Molecular Med or Med Micro and immuno MS program that are not that horrible like SMPs but still an MS which will allow you to learn science more.

horrible as in hard?

horrible as in hard?

Yes, as in hard...

The SMP is serious work, it is by no means impossible, but you have to work really, really hard. What everyone is saying that if you come to the SMP, and don't do well, you have ruined your chances. But if you come and do well, you essentially won't add ANYTHING. You already have a strong GPA, so they'll say, "Hey look, more good GPA."

Just know that it is really hard and you would be in a unique situation of having everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you do for MCAT prep? What's your writing sample score? Is English a second language?

How is the rest of your app? Are you very sure that your letters of recommendation are strong? Do you have interesting EC's? Did you have grumpy disapproving adult faculty give you feedback on your PS?

i did princeton my first time around back in 2006. for my last test in april, i took a verbal class and relied on my old princeton stuff for the science section. i studied verbal wayyyyy more than anything else, and improved some according to practice tests. how i scored a 6 AGAIN on the real thing is beyond me...

i scored an O on my writing sample both times. and yes, english is my second language.

the rest of my app is fine... *sighhh*

Again just to reiterate what everyone else is saying - don't do an SMP. I'm currently in the Georgetown SMP and I know a few people that have fairly high undergrad GPA's (~3.6/3.7) that have done OK in the program (~3.3-3.4). I think that's basically shooting yourself in the foot. I agree with DrJD - apply broadly and you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Again just to reiterate what everyone else is saying - don't do an SMP. I'm currently in the Georgetown SMP and I know a few people that have fairly high undergrad GPA's (~3.6/3.7) that have done OK in the program (~3.3-3.4). I think that's basically shooting yourself in the foot. I agree with DrJD - apply broadly and you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

This is so interesting. I am a reapplicant, 3.4sciGPA, 3.55cumGPA from a top Ivy League, great LORs and unique leadership and extracurriculars. My MCATs are balanced 29R (2007) and 30R (2006). I will be taking the MCAT for the third and last time this July and submitting my AMCAS this summer.

I was accepted to, and submitted my deposit for, the Georgetown SMP. I also applied for another one-year MS science-based program at Georgetown (waiting to hear back now). If I get into the other MS program, would you agree that I should forgo the SMP because there is too much risk involved? I am leaning toward not doing the SMP at this point, mainly because I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Is it the CAM program? I'm not sure how this other program would be weighted. I think the SMP is risky but it is worth it because it is geared towards proving yourself to med schools.

Now if you get a much much higher score then 29R i.e. 35+ maybe we will be talking a different story altogether. But I'm not sure until I know how much higher your score will be.

No, it's not the CAM program, it's a different MS (I don't want to give specifics until I receive my admissions decision) - apparently Georgetown runs a big business in one-year Master's programs, there are a lot to choose from! :)

Last edited:
so it would be like how USF has IMS as their SMP and Mol. Med as another 1 year MS? If that is the case and it is hard science courses and mostly lecture courses with exams and not a traditional MS where most of your classes are research then yes you may be able to get away with it rather then doing the SMP. :).

Yes, it is hard science courses and not a traditional research-based MS. :)

I am also considering a one year masters (Columbia Biotech.) Ive been accepted to both types of programs and am trying to decide which will work more towards getting me into medical school. I learned that a typical Masters doesnt contribute to undergrad GPA, does not predict performance in med school because they are not a medical curriculum, are not necessarily looked on favorably by med schools and statistically dont stand up to the SMP in the numbers of students moving onto med school...in short, not worth it. But I am open to any argument for or against.

I am also considering a one year masters (Columbia Biotech.) Ive been accepted to both types of programs and am trying to decide which will work more towards getting me into medical school. I learned that a typical Masters doesnt contribute to undergrad GPA, does not predict performance in med school because they are not a medical curriculum, are not necessarily looked on favorably by med schools and statistically dont stand up to the SMP in the numbers of students moving onto med school...in short, not worth it. But I am open to any argument for or against.

Enzo, I have (limited) experience with the Columbia Biotech program. PM me with questions!

This is so interesting. I am a reapplicant, 3.4sciGPA, 3.55cumGPA from a top Ivy League, great LORs and unique leadership and extracurriculars. My MCATs are balanced 29R (2007) and 30R (2006). I will be taking the MCAT for the third and last time this July and submitting my AMCAS this summer.

I was accepted to, and submitted my deposit for, the Georgetown SMP. I also applied for another one-year MS science-based program at Georgetown (waiting to hear back now). If I get into the other MS program, would you agree that I should forgo the SMP because there is too much risk involved? I am leaning toward not doing the SMP at this point, mainly because I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

If I were in your position, this is what I would do. If your MCAT comes back in July with a 33+, then I would forgo SMP's and just apply directly to medical schools. But otherwise, I think you are on the border of benefitting from an SMP and applying to medical schools outright. Although the Georgetown SMP is tough, with a lot of hard work you can get a ~3.6 GPA, so in your case, I don't think an SMP could hurt you.

If I were in your position, this is what I would do. If your MCAT comes back in July with a 33+, then I would forgo SMP's and just apply directly to medical schools. But otherwise, I think you are on the border of benefitting from an SMP and applying to medical schools outright. Although the Georgetown SMP is tough, with a lot of hard work you can get a ~3.6 GPA, so in your case, I don't think an SMP could hurt you.

Thanks bluehour. The problem is that the July MCAT scores won't be released until Sept 1, and SMP classes begin the second week of August. So I would have to go ahead and start the SMP, regardless of what my MCAT score is.

I was wondering about the chances of getting into GTown SMP if waitlisted at Tufts. Does it stand to reason that a waitlist at Tufts will automatically lead to the same response if not worse at GTown?

I was wondering about the chances of getting into GTown SMP if waitlisted at Tufts. Does it stand to reason that a waitlist at Tufts will automatically lead to the same response if not worse at GTown?

Be careful about making generalizations like this. I can understand your desire to. On the surface it makes sense, Georgetown is a harder program to get into so if you get waitlisted at an "easier" program then you shouldn't stand a chance. BUT, it truly doesn't work that way. During the medical school admissions process I got interviews and acceptances from schools ranked well, and wasn't given the time of day by crappy schools. You just never, never know.

So don't give up hope yet!

Just to give you some hope. I was waitlisted at Tufts and EVMS, but was accepted at BU and Gtown.

I totally agree with DrJD. So don't give up hope yet.

As a former SMP, I can tell you a little about what's going on for you prospective/future smp students:

Hold on to your seats because this program will challenge you harder than anything else you've ever done. Don't get me wrong, this program is the best if your trying to get into med school, but it's no picnic. Be prepared to study for at least 5 hours a day .. bare minimum. Don't go into this as I did, thinking your gonna get straight A's, almost no one gets that, even the times where I hermited myself and studied 10hr/day (I got the A once or twice ... but even the top students dont maintain straight A's). In otherwords be prepared to put as much time as I previously mentioned to get B's,B+'s, and A-'s. In many ways this program is harder than med school (your taking 90% med school classes). Your applying while your studying, and you have the added stress of everyone around you getting in while your waiting. This program will challenge you not only academically in ways you've never experienced, but emotionally (as there is a lot of stress waiting your second time to get in). You got to have a tough skin to get through this program in one piece, and a hell of a motivation.

If you want to get into Georgetown's med program though the SMP feeder, do everything you can to befriend Dr. Mulroney, Myers, and Haramati. Whether or not you believe this or not, they have a large part in handpicking their student. I promise you this is a fact.

Good luck. Study hard, and you'll be entering med school at the end of the year, like me!

As a former SMP, I can tell you a little about what's going on for you prospective/future smp students:

Hold on to your seats because this program will challenge you harder than anything else you've ever done. Don't get me wrong, this program is the best if your trying to get into med school, but it's no picnic. Be prepared to study for at least 5 hours a day .. bare minimum. Don't go into this as I did, thinking your gonna get straight A's, almost no one gets that, even the times where I hermited myself and studied 10hr/day (I got the A once or twice ... but even the top students dont maintain straight A's). In otherwords be prepared to put as much time as I previously mentioned to get B's,B+'s, and A-'s. In many ways this program is harder than med school (your taking 90% med school classes). Your applying while your studying, and you have the added stress of everyone around you getting in while your waiting. This program will challenge you not only academically in ways you've never experienced, but emotionally (as there is a lot of stress waiting your second time to get in). You got to have a tough skin to get through this program in one piece, and a hell of a motivation.

If you want to get into Georgetown's med program though the SMP feeder, do everything you can to befriend Dr. Mulroney, Myers, and Haramati. Whether or not you believe this or not, they have a large part in handpicking their student. I promise you this is a fact.

Good luck. Study hard, and you'll be entering med school at the end of the year, like me!
Thanks for the tidbits. I guess my previous plan of studying 6 hrs minimum each day probably won't do wonders :)

How long did you have to wait for your first acceptance? Do you have any tips on where to apply as a SMP student? And do you feel that your B/B+/A- were seen positively by med schools?

Good advice but as usual YMMV...

When I was studying 5 hours-ish per day I was consistently getting solid A's. That was how much studying it took for me to get that grade. During one class I made a conscious decision to study 2 to 3 ( I was already accepted, and I wanted to spend more time with my wife.) And my grades dipped to A-/B+ level...

Don't think that 5 hours of studying will lead to a B, or whatever, it is individual and really depends on how organized you are. 3 hours of studying for me, often equaled my friends 6 hours. Not because I am smarter, but because when I study I don't get on facebook, or sdn, or AIM, etc. etc. etc. I don't get up and talk to friends every half hour... So it is up to you, many people choose to "study" for 9 hours a day, of which maybe 3 to 4 hours of actual good studying happens.

Also, while it is always beneficial to get to know Mulroney, Myers and Haramati, don't think that being on their good side is a golden ticket. They specifically tell you they have no say, but like Msizzle said, of course as staff members of the school of medicine the admissions committee is going to value their opinion. But straight B's and a thumbs up from Mulroney won't get you in. Also, a 4.0 and a non-negative review from Mulroney would still give you a good chance of getting in. (Assuming you interview well, and have good LOR's, etc. etc. etc.)

Just my 2 cents :)

How many students do they take for the SMP each year? Is there any info on how many of the smp students get interviews to the SOM?

How many students do they take for the SMP each year? Is there any info on how many of the smp students get interviews to the SOM?

They take about 180 students into the SMP, the interview roughly the top half of those students, and they accept between 20 and 28 students into the medical school... (All approximate, but close)

They take about 180 students into the SMP, the interview roughly the top half of those students, and they accept between 20 and 28 students into the medical school... (All approximate, but close)

Thanks for the quick response! Do students get interviewed before getting into the smp?

Thanks for the quick response! Do students get interviewed before getting into the smp?

Nope, that is not part of the usual SMP admissions process. In rare cases they will use an interview as a tie-breaker of sorts.

I received an email this afternoon from Ms. Cabiness and got the old increased heartbeat for all of 15 seconds (having remembered that acceptances and waitlist offers are immediately sent an email, while rejections are snail mailed home). But instead I got this:

"Thank you for your interest in the Special Masters Program. Your application is complete and under review. We are currently migrating to a new computer system, please allow at least four weeks for a reply.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Aureller Cabiness
Academic Coordinator - SMP
"

No! Tufts took 9 days from when I sent it in to when I heard back (Wednesday to following Friday). I realize that is extremely rare, but this is killing me!

I received an email this afternoon from Ms. Cabiness and got the old increased heartbeat for all of 15 seconds (having remembered that acceptances and waitlist offers are immediately sent an email, while rejections are snail mailed home). But instead I got this:

"Thank you for your interest in the Special Masters Program. Your application is complete and under review. We are currently migrating to a new computer system, please allow at least four weeks for a reply.

Sincerely,
Aureller Cabiness
"

No! Tufts took 9 days from when I sent it in to when I heard back (Wednesday to following Friday). I realize that is extremely rare, but this is killing me!

I got the exact email too before my acceptance came about a week after. So don't sweat it! =)

Sincerely,
Aureller Cabiness
"

I got that e-mail April 17th. I am still waiting to hear back from them. Tufts got back to me the week after I was completed. I am still waiting for Georgetown. =/

I'm in! It feels good to finally get off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

So the year is officially over :) We took our last final yesterday morning, and it was ridiculously hard. As in, there were a lot of questions that literally required guessing. Not educated guessing, literal, eeni-meenie- minie, moe type guessing, lol

At least it is done!

That said, the have to be graded, and our papers are due by next Friday. But the administrators will be having more time to deal with waitlist stuff now that class is over. I will be blogging about the last class, and the test and what not so stay tuned. It was cool though, my last final turned out being in the same room as the first day of orientation. I got to finish the program in the same room I started, very cool...

Good luck to everyone over the next couple weeks with the waitlist! There is usually a ton of movement!

hey all

the smp website says this under things that should be done before you get there:

"In orientation you will receive information about additional schools you might want to apply to-- this will be done when you get here."

I think my late late timing was one of the bigger factors in not getting more looks last cycle. Wouldn;t it be better if we learned of these schools earlier? Would DrJD (congrats on finishing!) or other SMP graduates mind sharing these "additional schools" via a post or PM?

Thanks much!

I thought the same exact thing and emailed Ms. Cabiness about that. She said to use the list on the alumni link on the SMP website.

I'm also trying to figure out if we should talk about the SMP in our personal statement? That seems kinda weird since it should be obvious that we're doing it. I'm not really sure what to even say about it.

I thought the same exact thing and emailed Ms. Cabiness about that. She said to use the list on the alumni link on the SMP website.

I'm also trying to figure out if we should talk about the SMP in our personal statement? That seems kinda weird since it should be obvious that we're doing it. I'm not really sure what to even say about it.

You should definitely mention the SMP in your secondaries, in the personal statement, it is up to you. I can envision circumstances where one sentence in the personal statement could work well.

As far as the other schools go, you'd be truly surprised how few there are. You know all the big ones, and those are the ones that matter. The list they give you will not be that long and they bold the ones that have a good record of taking more than one student. As I recall there were only like 5 or so that were bolded, maybe 7. And those are the ones that you all know anyway... NYMC, Drexel, etc...

If you are applying broadly to schools that are appropriate, keep in mind you should all be applying to over 20 schools... (30 to 35 in my opinion) and if you are applying to the right ones I guarantee that you will hit the ones you should. A few times in this thread this topic has come up and I think there is a fairly good list a few pages back that should help.

Do you think that it is important to rewrite your essays in full or just add a line or two in there that you are doing the SMp in the new year for your amcas and secondaries??? I really don't want to write new essays as I don't know how I can perfect them that much more.

For secondaries it should definitely be a "good" part of your secondaries. You want to make it clear that you are bettering yourself and your application. I also made an effort to explain what the program was in a sentence or two since a lot of programs don't know what it is.

As far as re-writing your Personal statement, thats a toughy... I'd suggest re-writing it completely just because I was afraid they would somehow realize I was trying to use the same essay twice. I also figured, "Hey, it didn't get me in last time..." If you really don't want to, I really doubt they will realize it. i was just paranoid and didn't want to have to go through the process one more time.

Do you think it's a big deal if you use the same personal statement for med schools as you did for the SMP...particularly for Gtown med? I basically submitted my med school personal statement for the SMP apps...

What do y'all suggest for the AMCAS address? I have my home listed for now. Is it a huge hassle to change my address at all my schools once I get to Georgetown?

What do y'all suggest for the AMCAS address? I have my home listed for now. Is it a huge hassle to change my address at all my schools once I get to Georgetown?

I plan on putting my home address on my AMCAS app for now and when I figure out housing for next year, I'll go to the post office and have all my mail fwded to DC. Most correspondence comes by email anyway.

I plan on putting my home address on my AMCAS app for now and when I figure out housing for next year, I'll go to the post office and have all my mail fwded to DC. Most correspondence comes by email anyway.
Yeah, but you get that odd paper secondary or interview notice.

Yours is a good plan, though. I think I'll steal it :)

Actually, its very easy to change your address - the schools will use whatever address is currently listed with AMCAS, so all you have to do is update your "preferred address" on AMCAS (which is basically the one thing you can change even after you submit the application).

Actually, its very easy to change your address - the schools will use whatever address is currently listed with AMCAS, so all you have to do is update your "preferred address" on AMCAS (which is basically the one thing you can change even after you submit the application).
See that's what I was wondering; if it was a live update sort of situation or if the consequence of AMCAS address changes would take time to trickle down to the various admissions offices.

Thanks for the info!

See that's what I was wondering; if it was a live update sort of situation or if the consequence of AMCAS address changes would take time to trickle down to the various admissions offices.

Thanks for the info!

definitely instantaneous haha - I made a change at midnight the night before my acceptance to EVMS was mailed, and it went to the new address :thumbup:

Thanks for the info!

Sweet. SDN saved me a trip to the post office! Thanks Daedalus!