Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocOllie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-First time poster... LOOOOOOONG time reader...

It was only a few weeks ago that I found out about SMP programs and it has rekindled my hope for getting into medical school. It seems I fit the 'SMP profile' quite well...

GPA: 3.05 (ridiculous upward trend... i.e. 2.00 to a 4.00)
Science GPA: 3.20
MCAT: 35Q (PS 13, V 10, BS 12)
Good EC's, good letters...

I'm on two interview hold lists, received a few rejections and haven't heard anything from the rest of the schools I applied to (I applied really late...). I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

I've submitted my application for Georgetown's SMP program (submitted 1/15) and I'm awaiting for it to be finalized. The program sounds perfect for me and I can't wait to hear back.

I figured I would start this thread to help others track the progress of this year's Georgetown SMP admissions. Has anyone else applied? Anyone been reviewed? I assume it's probably too early for anyone to have heard a decision...

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DocOllie,

You couldn't fit the Georgetown SMP profile better... I hope have have success with the medical school interview hold list, but if not I am fairly confident you'll have good results with the SMP. I'll check back on this forum frequently, but if you or anyone else have questions for a current SMP student I'd be happy to help in anyway I can.

Good luck!

DrJD - Somehow I had the feeling you would chime in sooner or later :D. I've been keeping up with your blog and it has been an amazing source of information about the Georgetown SMP program. I think the school should redirect their FAQ link to your blog. Don't be surprised if you receive a flurry of questions from me in the future. Good luck with the new semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrJD - Somehow I had the feeling you would chime in sooner or later :D. I've been keeping up with your blog and it has been an amazing source of information about the Georgetown SMP program. I think the school should redirect their FAQ link to your blog. Don't be surprised if you receive a flurry of questions from me in the future. Good luck with the new semester.

Good luck! And yea, I definitely spend too much time on SDN!

I'm in the process of getting all my materials together to officially submit the application

Thanks for starting this thread, Doc Ollie!

I've already submitted my application, complete with updated fall grades from my post-bacc courses this year. I noticed that my SMP application was finally complete just a few days ago -- everything else was turned in during December.

Fingers crossed!

:luck:

just received my acceptance email!

"We are delighted to inform you that the Special Masters Program Admissions
Committee at Georgetown University has recommended that you be accepted into our
graduate program. Once your credentials are verified by the Graduate School, they
will send you an official acceptance. Please allow approximately FOUR weeks. Once
you have received an official offer of admission, you should submit your deposit in
a timely manner to secure your place in the SMP Class of 2010, and to facilitate any
financial aid arrangements you might be making through the office of student
financial services.

Please go to smp.georgetown.edu and read the section called "Accepted Students".
This will give you details for housing, financial aid, application information to
medical school, and the August MCAT (if you are planning to re-take it)."

i submitted my application on 12/3 and received an email that it would be "4 weeks until i would receive a decision" two weeks ago. this was surprising, but a good surprise. so i guess if you are complete there, they are actively sending out decision emails now.

- uGPA 3.33 (year 1: 3.0/year 2: 3.0/year 3: 3.8/year 4: 4.0)
- MCAT 32P (11phy/10v/11bio)
- top 20 school

Application submitted 12/11/08
Status complete 1/13/09
Acceptance 1/23/09!

Good luck everyone! :xf:

Fenthion & Essex - Congrats to both of you!

On a slightly off topic side note, I did receive an invitation for an interview today! It's at Cincinnati... so maybe i'll hold off on applying to their SMP program. I hope I hear from Georgetown soon!

Hi guys,

I'm taking my MCAT in april and submitting my app to georgetown soon...Are my chances really low since georgetown won't be receiving my MCAT score til May? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Is this a good program for students who have an above average gpa (~3.7), but low mcat score?? I am planning on retaking the mcat over the summer, but thought it would be good to do the smp for the year I have off??

Is this a good program for students who have an above average gpa (~3.7), but low mcat score?? I am planning on retaking the mcat over the summer, but thought it would be good to do the smp for the year I have off??

Not a good program for you. Why would you spend $50,000 on a GPA repair program with a 3.7? Why not work on interesting ECs after the MCAT, such as a job, instead of doing more academics?

Furthermore, putting work into getting into an SMP, getting there, starting school etc. will kill your MCAT score.

Thank you both very much for your help! I took it once and I got a 22. 8 in verbal, 7 in phys, and 7 on bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
so I just got the acceptance email today, which was pretty exciting. I am still holding out hope that my medical school apps work out but if not I still have a pretty great option.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the Georgetown SMP compares to the other ones. I have heard it is one of if not the top program... any help would be great.

My stats:
GPA: 3.2 (neuroscience)
MCAT: 35Q

Hey everyone,
so I just got the acceptance email today, which was pretty exciting. I am still holding out hope that my medical school apps work out but if not I still have a pretty great option.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the Georgetown SMP compares to the other ones. I have heard it is one of if not the top program... any help would be great.

My stats:

I am a little biased, but I think that depending on what you want it is definitely one of the best programs. If you'd like more information about the school feel free to check out my blog in my signature. Otherwise if you have any questions about the program as the year progresses feel free to ask!

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Hey everyone,

My stats:

Congrats, UCLAneuro! :thumbup:

Can I ask when your application was marked complete?

Congrats on acceptances all around!

Is anyone here also applying to the Georgetown's Complementary & Alternative Medicine program which is also run through the department of physiology? I am applying to this program and just wanted to see if anyone else was:)

My application was completed on 1/13/2009. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

I am not saying this for biased reasons, but to put things into perspective Georgetown is the original founding founder of the concept of SMPs and therefore the most experienced program of its kind. As such it has a long standing tradition of getting people into medical school and therefore one of the best if not the best. Furthermore, Gtown is one of the top ranked schools in the country in one of the best locations to be studying medicine so I believe that the other opps around that area are also great if you need ECs as well.

Almost everyone I've heard of that has done this program has made it to med school at some point or another and at a very great variety of schools instead of just the school the program is at. That speaks huge volumes in and of itself.

Yea I think that after 2 years ~85% of students have been accepted to medical school. Of those 15% who haven't a large portion of them have chosen to get their PhD, JD or simply a completely different career path. So there are only a few percent of people who don't get into medical school at some point, it is a very successful program.

Congrats on acceptances all around!

Is anyone here also applying to the Georgetown's Complementary & Alternative Medicine program which is also run through the department of physiology? I am applying to this program and just wanted to see if anyone else was:)

This is a very interesting program. I've been able to interact with a couple of the professors because they came and did a few talks in our Pathways course. Really interesting stuff. Something to keep in mind though is that it is not an "SMP." You don't take any of the medical school classes. However, my tour guide at George Washington when the SMP went there for a tour was a CAM alum. So obviously it works! The CAM really focuses in on, well complementary and alternative medicine, lol Dr. Fugh-Berman one of the professors there is amazing. She knows so much it makes my head hurt, and is really interesting to talk to as well.

If you have any questions about the CAM I can try to answer them based on talking with the students, but I haven't actually been there so I don't know.

So do you think they are only reviewing apps with completion dates of 01/13/09 still and then will move on to the ones that were complete 1-2 days later?? I was complete on the 15th. But so far the 2 people who've posted their dates of completion of the 3 that got in are from the 01/13/09 completion date.

What's your opinion????

They are probably going in order. They have some sort of centralized application database that keeps things in order for them. If people are getting accepted with a completion of the 13th, then people from the 15th should be far behind.

Should be soon!

EDIT: Dr. Mulroney the SMP director just finished as the course director for our GI Module. That was keeping her really busy, so now that she is done with that I'd imagine they will start going through the files that much faster.

They are probably going in order. They have some sort of centralized application database that keeps things in order for them. If people are getting accepted with a completion of the 13th, then people from the 15th should be far behind.

Should be soon!

EDIT: Dr. Mulroney the SMP director just finished as the course director for our GI Module. That was keeping her really busy, so now that she is done with that I'd imagine they will start going through the files that much faster.

I wonder if anyone has gotten a rejection or waitlist yet?

Should be soon!

For those that have already applied in December, but are waiting for our MCAT scores, will they take how early we applied into consideration? Or will they only consider when the application is complete?

Quick question for those who have been accepted. After you submitted your application, but before it was completed, did the various supplemental documents become completed one at a time or was the entire application all of sudden completed?

I submitted mine on 1/15/08 and everything still says 'not received.' Except for the resume and payment.

For those that have already applied in December, but are waiting for our MCAT scores, will they take how early we applied into consideration? Or will they only consider when the application is complete?

They will just look at it when your MCAT score comes in. Don't worry about the timing either. Unless you are taking the MCAT in May, you will be fine. People get into the program well into the summer, and you won't be at a significant disadvantage a couple months from now!

Quick question for those who have been accepted. After you submitted your application, but before it was completed, did the various supplemental documents become completed one at a time or was the entire application all of sudden completed?

I submitted mine on 1/15/08 and everything still says 'not received.' Except for the resume and payment.

Yes, various parts of the application e.g., transcript, LORs, MCAT, etc,were indicated as complete/received, one at a time, before the overall status changed to complete. Good luck! :thumbup:

Hey DrJD or anyone else who might know,
Do you happen to know what medical schools specifically like the georgetown smp? It says on the smp website that they will eventually give you a list, does anyone have it? Do you know of any schools (I know that there are schools uc davis only look at it once you have completed the program) that really don't look at the smp and therefore it would be pointless apply to?
Thanks for the help...

Do you happen to know what medical schools specifically like the georgetown smp? It says on the smp website that they will eventually give you a list, does anyone have it? Do you know of any schools (I know that there are schools uc davis only look at it once you have completed the program) that really don't look at the smp and therefore it would be pointless apply to?
Thanks for the help...

Yeah, that's what I dont' understand either. They want you to have all your applications done before you arrive to the program, but they will give you a list of schools that prefer the program later? So how are you supposed to know what schools to apply to? I found that confusing. Maybe they will email you a list after acceptance?

DrJD,

I have a few questions for you. So I was going through your 2009 version of this thread and I saw that some people who submitted same time as me heard they were under review a few days and got accepted within a month and few got accepted like 2 months later.

So is it normal that I've not heard anything about being under review yet? Will they send an email to me to let me know my status has changed from completion to being under review? Should I be worried if I never got an email like the others about it taking 4-6 weeks to look at apps and have been complete for 2 weeks as of yesterday???

Should I call them and ask these questions there??

Sorry if I sound overly anxious.

Hey guju! I wouldn't worry yet... I don't know that they always send out "under review" notices, if you got the notice that your file was complete I think you are in good shape. If you still haven't heard anything further in like two weeks or so, then you may want to call Ms. Cabiness. In the mean time, you just get to enjoy waiting! We do so much waiting as pre-meds, then meds... We will all be professional waiters by the time we are done :)

Do you happen to know what medical schools specifically like the georgetown smp?

That said it looks like from the link that the trends are schools like NYMC, Albany, SLU, other DC/Md/Va schools like EVMS, GWU, UMaryland, etc. are the places where a lot of people apply and get in. I also saw that there were a small number of people each year getting into Casewestern but I'd say that would also require a ridiculously high MCAT is what I'm guessing.

It is a little weird that they wait until August to give you the list when they want your applications to be done by the time you get there. However, I think that they figure that schools you haven't applied to you can just add in August. For any school that is good about accepting SMP students, they probably won't really look at your app until December or January anyway.

The schools that Guju listed are the big ones, but again a lot of those only 1 or 2 students will get in to. The big three are Georgetown, Drexel and SLU...

Each of those take over 5 students... Georgetown is about 20, Drexel about 10 and SLU between 5 and 10... All of the rest take between 1 and 3, so your odds are super great. For example GWU really doesn't take many SMP students, I think 2 last year?

So as you are deciding which schools to apply to I have a couple pieces of advice:

1) Determine why you need the SMP, it is likely because of some deficiency in your application right? So apply broadly!! I know it is expensive, charge it... Pay it back later. All four schools I have gotten interviews to and acceptances are schools I would NOT have applied to if I had only applied to 10 or 15 schools. I am so glad that I bit the bullet and applied broadly. Turns out these schools are schools I'd rather go to than any of the others anyways, so it was a double bonus.

2) Apply to state schools!! Mainly your state schools, but the lesser known state schools that accept out of state students as well.

3) Georgetown, Drexel and SLU and NYMC

4) Now fill in the list with as many non top tier medical schools as you can afford. On the list you get in August they have some schools bolded so if you haven't applied to those by the time you get there you can add them.

My last piece of advice would be to do your best to have all secondaries done by the time your first class starts. You will be WAY to busy to focus on school work and write as many essays as you'll have to write.

Using the Alumni list is a good tool but you have to be a little careful because the numbers can be deceiving. That is how many matriculated there, not how many got accepted. 29 is a LOT to get into Georgetown so likely those students also got accepted to SLU, or Drexel but chose to go to G-town. So use it for trends, but you'll notice that most of those schools accepted like 1 student. Those students could have had a great GPA coming into the program (they are here) or maybe that is their state school. So definitely use the list as a guide, but most of all just apply to schools that you think you have a good chance at. I applied to almost 40 schools, I'd recommend that you all apply to at least 30. Don't throw Harvard on their "just in case"... Really focus on schools ranked lower than Georgetown that you think you have a shot at.

Good luck!

Gujudoc, I totally hear you on the "sent stuff in November, am not complete yet"-thing.

I sent my MCAT scores via ThX on Nov 30th. Still not there yet! I am a little worried and am wondering if I should send them a score report verification code just in case!!

I'm glad there's a thread about georgetown's smp for 2010 already! I just applied (submitted 1/16) and was complete 1/30. Congrats to those who got in! I hope I'll be joining you guys this fall. I applied to med school the year before, which was a super traumatic experience since I didn't get in anywhere. I've been working since and honestly can't wait to get back to school already. I graduated in 2006 with a 3.7 and mcat 28O (P10, V6, B12... retaking it this April).

What other SMP did you guys apply to?

I'm glad there's a thread about georgetown's smp for 2010 already! I just applied (submitted 1/16) and was complete 1/30. Congrats to those who got in! I hope I'll be joining you guys this fall. I applied to med school the year before, which was a super traumatic experience since I didn't get in anywhere. I've been working since and honestly can't wait to get back to school already. I graduated in 2006 with a 3.7 and mcat 28O (P10, V6, B12... retaking it this April).

What other SMP did you guys apply to?

Hey Spicy,

Have you considered options other than an SMP? I have classmates with similar stats to you and they have had success while in the SMP, but a few of them are now regretting having spend the 60 grand to come here because they feel like they could have gotten in without the program. Have you tried working on the Verbal and retaking? Actually it looks like you are. If you can score a 8 or higher in Verbal, I wouldn't recommend you come to the SMP.

That being said, if you choose to come here you will get into medical school and it is a great program. Congrats on getting the app in, you should hear back soon!

On my application status page, it says that my application is "Complete". Application fee, recommendations, transcripts, MCAT score, and supplemental data were all received.

But I have not received a "Complete, Under Review" email notice from the SMP. Should I be worried? Is this something I need to contact them about?

:confused:

On my application status page, it says that my application is "Complete". Application fee, recommendations, transcripts, MCAT score, and supplemental data were all received.

But I have not received a "Complete, Under Review" email notice from the SMP. Should I be worried? Is this something I need to contact them about?

:confused:

I think within a few days of seeing "Complete" on my appl status page, I received a "complete/under review" email notice. How long has it been for you? There are probably fluctuations in the volume of applications so it may take some longer than others. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :whistle:

I think within a few days of seeing "Complete" on my appl status page, I received a "complete/under review" email notice. How long has it been for you? There are probably fluctuations in the volume of applications so it may take some longer than others. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :whistle:

It's been about two weeks since my application was marked "Complete." Now I'm starting to worry!

I'm currently a Georgetown SMP student. Someone above asked about which schools like SMP students. DrJD and guju pointed out the big ones. However, I think it's also important to mention that the following schools rejected me without waiting for any of my fall SMP grades (that means they didn't wait for the official transcript OR the LOR that contains your progress thus far): Albany, Rosalind Franklin, and Drexel.

Edit: Their decision doesn't necessarily indicate that they don't like SMP students, but that is the impression I got. It's very possible they just hated me as a person though :p

I'm currently a Georgetown SMP student. Someone above asked about which schools like SMP students. DrJD and guju pointed out the big ones. However, I think it's also important to mention that the following schools rejected me without waiting for any of my fall SMP grades (that means they didn't wait for the official transcript OR the LOR that contains your progress thus far): Albany, Rosalind Franklin, and Drexel.

Edit: Their decision doesn't necessarily indicate that they don't like SMP students, but that is the impression I got. It's very possible they just hated me as a person though :p

I too was rejected from those three schools fairly quickly, while getting interviews at much better schools. This process is VERY random which is why I was stressing that if you have a lower GPA you should apply very broadly!

I'm from California, and I was wondering what is the best way to search for housing in DC from a distance? Should I use Craigslist or some other online search, and are there good apartment complexes(or any kind of place) that aren't listed online that I should know about? Also, what neighborhoods in DC and the DC area should I focus on?

If anyone wants to know, I submitted my app in mid nov and it was complete in mid dec. I got an email telling me it was going under review on Jan 9 and the unoffical acceptance on Jan 14. I haven't received the offical offer yet.

Just got my unofficial email acceptance today.
Submitted 12/1, complete 1/19.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!! :luck:

Last edited:
Ok this is ridiculous. I was complete 4 days before that. I emailed them today so they are finally looking into things. I feel like my application must have gotten lost or something because I turned in things in Nov. I was complete after those who submitted a month after me and now I still haven't heard anything after being complete 4 days before you.

Good luck guju. Keep us posted!!

Also FYI, I never received any email notice of "Complete, Under Review" or any confirmation of completion whatsoever. Just the email that came today.

I'm from California, and I was wondering what is the best way to search for housing in DC from a distance? Should I use Craigslist or some other online search, and are there good apartment complexes(or any kind of place) that aren't listed online that I should know about? Also, what neighborhoods in DC and the DC area should I focus on?

If anyone wants to know, I submitted my app in mid nov and it was complete in mid dec. I got an email telling me it was going under review on Jan 9 and the unoffical acceptance on Jan 14. I haven't received the offical offer yet.

I just got my unofficial acceptance today, and am also from California thinking about how to look for housing. Any suggestions from current SMPers on where we should look?? Thanks!!

I just got my unofficial acceptance today, and am also from California thinking about how to look for housing. Any suggestions from current SMPers on where we should look?? Thanks!!

Students typically either live in the Georgetown area, or in Viriginia... (or scattered throughout DC)... I'd say most of the people I know live in either Georgetown or Rosslyn in Arlington, VA...

The BEST resource for housing is definitely craigslist. At least 10 to 20 students every year end up living in River Place in Rosslyn. It is a condominium where individual owners rent our apartments. If you go to craigslist and type in river place in the search you can see the current listings.

Some people prefer basement apartments near Georgetown. Good price, can walk to class, etc.

If you find something I can try and let you know if its in a crappy area... Some people find like 6 other room mates and rent a house in the Georgetown area as well. Since there are a lot of you SDNers that are getting accepted that could be an option as well :)

Just received my unofficial acceptance yesterday (2/6)
Complete 1/28, under review 1/30

GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 33R (12 verbal, 11 phys, 10 bio)

Still waiting to hear back from a number of medical schools (I applied pretty late), but this is definitely my first choice smp.

Congrats to all other acceptances! I will most likely see some of you in the fall!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I am happy to hear that so many of us on here are getting the good news. I'm patiently waiting for my MCAT results to arrive so my application to Georgetown can be reviewed. The wait is agonizing.

Dr JD, I've been keeping up with your blog for quite some time now. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences. They've been good reads, especially while waiting for 5 o'clock at work. Best of luck to you

Does anyone know how Gtown looks at multiple MCAT scores for application to the SMP? Do they take the highest in one sitting? The most recent? Highest combination from multiple sittings? Lowest score? (kidding on that one). Cuz I have a 28R but would be a 30R if they take the highest sections from different exams. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how Gtown looks at multiple MCAT scores for application to the SMP? Do they take the highest in one sitting? The most recent? Highest combination from multiple sittings? Lowest score? (kidding on that one). Cuz I have a 28R but would be a 30R if they take the highest sections from different exams. Thanks in advance.

I emailed them a few months ago to ask about this. They said they consider ALL scores, but look for an upward trend. So it sounds like they don't put together the best composite; they look for each sitting's score on its own. This is the way I interpreted it, but you may want to double check just in case. Either way, you have already hit the minimum, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

All right, I submitted my app on 2/6 and I've sent all my supporting stuff but after reading this forum I wish I'd applied sooner!

All right, I submitted my app on 2/6 and I've sent all my supporting stuff but after reading this forum I wish I'd applied sooner!

Good stuff! Don't worry, you are still really early, and I'm sure there are still plenty of spots!

So, do 180 SMPs pile into the first year med classes? Seems like the room would be overflowing...how does that work?