Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was also placed on the waitlist at georgetown smp. Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? Also what would someone estimate (maybe from past experience) of getting accepted off of the waitlist? Any comment appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So how soon after May 15th do you think waitlist movement starts for the SMP? Anyone have an idea?

Unfortunately I don't have any idea how soon you should see movement. Since they accept new applications up until midnight on May 15th, I'd guess there may not be movement for a week or two afterwards. Seems like they would try and work their way through the new apps before cycling back to the waitlist. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was really quick.

I was also placed on the waitlist at georgetown smp. Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? Also what would someone estimate (maybe from past experience) of getting accepted off of the waitlist? Any comment appreciated!

I don't know how many people are on the waitlist, but from what I understand they take quite a few people from it. Last year there was movement on the waitlist all the way up until orientation!! There were people that were called during orientation (because some people didn't show up) and they flew out to make it there by day 1 of classes!

So don't give up hope, there is a lot of movement and it goes all summer!

I just received their decision... Waitlisted...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is most likely a dumb question but is there a difference between being put on the "wait list" and being put on the "hold list"? If so what is the difference? Same thing right?

This is the email I received from Georgetown

"Thank you for your interest in the Special Masters Program. Your application has been reviewed and you have been placed on our Hold List. The Hold List indicates that the Committee has elected to reconsider your application later in the application process. A final decision may be made at anytime between now and August. The program offers many acceptances to this pool of applicants. We encourage you to send updates of your MCAT scores or spring grades as they come. The information will be taken into account."

This is most likely a dumb question but is there a difference between being put on the "wait list" and being put on the "hold list"? If so what is the difference? Same thing right?

This is the email I received from Georgetown

"Thank you for your interest in the Special Masters Program. Your application has been reviewed and you have been placed on our Hold List. The Hold List indicates that the Committee has elected to reconsider your application later in the application process. A final decision may be made at anytime between now and August. The program offers many acceptances to this pool of applicants. We encourage you to send updates of your MCAT scores or spring grades as they come. The information will be taken into account."

I got the same email. You're right, hold and waitlist are the same thing.

First of all, hi all, first post!!

guju,
A little while back you mentioned that you wouldn't recommend the Drexel IMS program. Just curious why?

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who were waitlisted -- did you take GRE or MCAT?

I applied to BU, Tufts, & Georgetown post-bac programs. My applications were complete, save for an official test score as of 2/23. I just took the GRE on 4/23 to make the Georgetown 5/15 deadline. I'm trying to get a feel of what my chances are. My overall GPA is 3.47, science GPA is 3.0, with a lot of clinical research experience.

Any advice/info from those of you who have heard would be appreciated!

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who were waitlisted -- did you take GRE or MCAT?

I applied to BU, Tufts, & Georgetown post-bac programs. My applications were complete, save for an official test score as of 2/23. I just took the GRE on 4/23 to make the Georgetown 5/15 deadline. I'm trying to get a feel of what my chances are. My overall GPA is 3.47, science GPA is 3.0, with a lot of clinical research experience.

Any advice/info from those of you who have heard would be appreciated!

I applied to BU, Georgetown, and UPenn

Took the GRE to apply, but I just retook it and did better and will be submitting those bc I am waitlisted at Georgetown. Accepted at UPenn and BU.

I think with those numbers and at least 70th percentile GRE in both sections you will definitely be accepted to BU. I am guessing you will be waitlisted at the least at Georgetown and I can't speak for Tufts. Just hurry up and get everything in because spots are going quick.

Wow! I had no idea that this thread existed. Here I was using JD's blog as my major source of insider information :)

Just wanted to say hi to all my future classmates. It's good to see that I'm not the only one freaking out about the distance, the cost, the intensity, and the unstellar acceptance rates of the program.

I'm not thrilled about going, but I'm sure that we'll find a way to get through it and do well (enough).

Glad to see people dropping housing info too!

Should I send the 2 character letters I had for MD admissions as an update and another LOI after May 15th? I'm so anxious because my MD adcom officer again said I should go to this program or another of its kind and this is my biggest hope right now as I've not heard from some places and did not get into some.

Hey Guju...

If you have new information, definitely send it. It is one thing to pester them, but if you honestly have new letters of rec, then you want them to have those ASAP. I wouldn't bother with another LOI at this point, I think that may border into the "pestering" category.

Ok. I just was thinking about that today that I never sent 2 letters which were character letters required by my schools in Fl.

So I will send that to them. Who would I send it to? Directly to Ms. Cabiness's office or the original biomed grad address I sent my other stuff to?

I'd say Ms. Cabiness!

Approx. how many people does this and other SMP programs accept? Do you have a good chance as long as you have 33+ mc, 3.2+ gpa type thing?

Approx. how many people does this and other SMP programs accept? Do you have a good chance as long as you have 33+ mc, 3.2+ gpa type thing?

It varies a lot... Georgetown's class is around 180 students, and if you have a 3.2+, a 33+ and good EC's you'd have a very good chance of getting accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it uncommon to apply directly to the SMP from undergrad without first applying to med school? I know most people apply to med schools then apply to the SMP as a safety net but does anyone just apply to the SMP?

Is it uncommon to apply directly to the SMP from undergrad without first applying to med school? I know most people apply to med schools then apply to the SMP as a safety net but does anyone just apply to the SMP?

Its not uncommon... I know some students in this years class who did this. If you are confident you need the SMP, there is no reason to waste money and time applying. The goal is to not just "plan" on doing the SMP and therefore slack off in your undergraduate studies. But if you are finishing with a strong positive trend in your undergrad, but a 3.1 GPA overall, coming here first might be a good idea.

alright cool, thanks guys...i have one year before i start applying to schools and have like a 3.18 now, so with another year i can get it to like a 3.35 maybe which is still too low for med schools but just right for the SMP

I withdrew my acceptance today. Good Luck Everyone.

anyone thinking about moving down to DC in late June or July 1 and wants a roommate shoot me a PM/. p.s. got a dog so be friendly =D

haven't taken it yet...probably take it next april before I apply...I probably will apply before I apply to the SMP just to see what happens

I've been following SDN for a while but I've never posted before, so here goes:

This may seem incredibly dense to you guys, but I never even knew SMP existed as an option until a few days ago. I applied to 21 med schools, interviewed at 2, and was waitlisted at 1. I'm desperate for options other than post-bac (repeat of undergrad classes) or regular masters programs (too long!), and had I know about SMPs back in January, I definitely would have applied much earlier.

I'm furious at myself for not knowing about all this until now, but I would really appreciate any input you guys have about whether I still have a chance at getting into an SMP this late in the cycle. Let me know what you think:

School: Top 10; BS in Biology, English
MCAT: B:12 P:12 V:10
GPA: 3.2 cumulative, 3.9 senior year
ECs: 1-year public health fellowship overseas; clinical experience at ~15 hospitals in China, South Africa & US in emergency medicine, ICU, surgery; public health and clinical research with publications; bioethics internship; EMT certification; student leadership (VP of student body, head of judicial council); peer and private tutoring; volunteer work with underserved populations; leadership prizes; writing prizes, etc.

Georgetown's SMP sounds really amazing...congrats to all of you who've been admitted! I hope I can still get in this late... :(

You can. And your stats are about right. I'd also apply to a few of the ones which have July deadlines i.e. Tufts MBS in Boston and BU MAMS. Also, see if Cincy's deadline has passed. I'm sure it hasn't. Look at the SMP List 2009. That has the major ones listed. Also if you are on waitlists, you will qualify for a Tulane SMP known as the Tulane ACP.
In fact, I'd recommend Tulane ACP. I wish I found out about THAT program before I deferred Georgetown with a $500 deposit.

Thanks; that's very helpful. I will definitely look into all those programs. :)

I've been following SDN for a while but I've never posted before, so here goes:

This may seem incredibly dense to you guys, but I never even knew SMP existed as an option until a few days ago. I applied to 21 med schools, interviewed at 2, and was waitlisted at 1. I'm desperate for options other than post-bac (repeat of undergrad classes) or regular masters programs (too long!), and had I know about SMPs back in January, I definitely would have applied much earlier.

I'm furious at myself for not knowing about all this until now, but I would really appreciate any input you guys have about whether I still have a chance at getting into an SMP this late in the cycle. Let me know what you think:

School: Top 10; BS in Biology, English
MCAT: B:12 P:12 V:10
GPA: 3.2 cumulative, 3.9 senior year
ECs: 1-year public health fellowship overseas; clinical experience at ~15 hospitals in China, South Africa & US in emergency medicine, ICU, surgery; public health and clinical research with publications; bioethics internship; EMT certification; student leadership (VP of student body, head of judicial council); peer and private tutoring; volunteer work with underserved populations; leadership prizes; writing prizes, etc.

Georgetown's SMP sounds really amazing...congrats to all of you who've been admitted! I hope I can still get in this late... :(

Other than the late application, you are the perfect candidate for the Georgetown SMP... If you get in, attend and work ahrd with your history I can almost guarantee you a medical school acceptance (Probably a few!!) Get your app in today since the deadline is tomorrow!!!!!

DrJD, do you know what happens to the people who stay at Georgetown Med after the SMP? I know that they don't need to repeat classes. I was wondering if they entered as full-fledged second year medical students?

DrJD, do you know what happens to the people who stay at Georgetown Med after the SMP? I know that they don't need to repeat classes. I was wondering if they entered as full-fledged second year medical students?

You don't start as a second year because you don't take every single class as an SMPer... Many students choose to retake the classes because, if you don't, they will go down on your transcript as a "pass" The equivalent of a B in the SMP. In all likelihood if you got into Gtown med then you probably got an A, so people will retake to have the Honors on their transcript.

I know a couple people who didn't retake it and got a part time job to make some extra money. Hope that helps!

You don't start as a second year because you don't take every single class as an SMPer... Many students choose to retake the classes because, if you don't, they will go down on your transcript as a "pass" The equivalent of a B in the SMP. In all likelihood if you got into Gtown med then you probably got an A, so people will retake to have the Honors on their transcript.

I know a couple people who didn't retake it and got a part time job to make some extra money. Hope that helps!

Yep, that helps. Thanks.

Other than the late application, you are the perfect candidate for the Georgetown SMP... If you get in, attend and work ahrd with your history I can almost guarantee you a medical school acceptance (Probably a few!!) Get your app in today since the deadline is tomorrow!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I sent the Georgetown app in as soon as I saw this thread (about 3 days ago...close call). I'm so happy this program exists. I really hope I can still get in! :xf: If there's any other late applicants reading this thread, the deadline has been extended to May 18th (they take supplemental materials after the deadline).

Thanks for the encouragement. I sent the Georgetown app in as soon as I saw this thread (about 3 days ago...close call). I'm so happy this program exists. I really hope I can still get in! :xf: If there's any other late applicants reading this thread, the deadline has been extended to May 18th (they take supplemental materials after the deadline).

I wouldn't worry too much about the late application, from the little you posted above you have a really solid app! G'luck!

Has anyone applied and not been responded to? I was completed on April 17th and Gtown said to please allow at least 4 weeks for a reply. So anyone know when I should be expecting an answer from them?

Hi guys,

I got accepted into the SMP! But... I'm a bit confused whether I'm totally in or if its tentative. It says I've gotten accepted, but that they need to finalize checking through my credentials or something along those lines and that an official acceptance will be sent a few weeks later. Does this mean I'm in or not?

Thanks, sort of worried.

Hi guys,

I got accepted into the SMP! But... I'm a bit confused whether I'm totally in or if its tentative. It says I've gotten accepted, but that they need to finalize checking through my credentials or something along those lines and that an official acceptance will be sent a few weeks later. Does this mean I'm in or not?

Thanks, sort of worried.

Hey ilikemed,

When were you completed and when did you hear back from the office? I'm just getting nervous about when I should be hearing back from them.

Also, another question for whoever can answer this. So do the SMP students take 6 medical school courses alongside the med students?

That's what it says in the website, but it doesn't seem logical.

"The SMP will continue to have our students take a major portion of the M1 basic science curriculum with the medical students. "

I really hope that is not the case and instead it is the same class, by the same professor, but at different times.

I just wanted to clarify this once and for all. I was under the impression that the classes were separate but then I could not find anything to confirm that.

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer this question.

I really hope that is not the case and instead it is the same class, by the same professor, but at different times.

I'm not at georgetown, but I think that they are the same class at the same time.

Can I ask why you would specifically not want that?

It's not practical from the school's perspective to have a professor teach the same course twice a day just so some people can be in a different room. If the class is the same, it should all be at one time.

I was just thinking if it was the same class then there is 180 SMP students, 180 med students, 40 gems students = 400 students.

It would be detrimental to the med students who probably wouldn't know about this before going to georgetown because they would get less one on one attention.

Also, if the tuition is 40k I really hope that the classes be for those students alone. If not, what is this money going towards?

Classes that are too big are just not as effective and would probably hurt everyone involved. It wouldn't be that difficult to get 6 professors to teach an extra 3 hours a week.

That's just my opinion and I wanted to verify if georgetown is putting two large programs (medical + smp) in the same classroom.

Hi guys,

Thanks, sort of worried.

You are in! Essentially what happens is that first the SMP program admits you, and then the Graduate school itself has to admit you. If you've gotten that e-mail that means that the SMP has accepted you, but you have to wait for the Graduate school to "officially" accept you. Now, if you have above a 3.0, then I've been told the graduate school always accepts you if the SMP says so. If you have below a 3.0 then the SMP has to file a petition on your behalf with the graduate school which I've also heard works all the time, but it isn't a for sure thing since the graduate school could say no.

I'm assuming that if you got in and didn't hear from Dr. Mulroney, that you have above a 3.0 cumulative and you are in! Congratulations!

Also, another question for whoever can answer this. So do the SMP students take 6 medical school courses alongside the med students?

That's what it says in the website, but it doesn't seem logical.

"The SMP will continue to have our students take a major portion of the M1 basic science curriculum with the medical students. "

I just wanted to clarify this once and for all. I was under the impression that the classes were separate but then I could not find anything to confirm that.

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer this question.

You absolutely take the classes sitting right next to the medical students, that is what makes the Georgetown SMP so special, and is why all of the SMPs that have cropped up recently are modeling themselves after Georgetown.

I was just thinking if it was the same class then there is 180 SMP students, 180 med students, 40 gems students = 400 students.

It would be detrimental to the med students who probably wouldn't know about this before going to georgetown because they would get less one on one attention.

Also, if the tuition is 40k I really hope that the classes be for those students alone. If not, what is this money going towards?

Classes that are too big are just not as effective and would probably hurt everyone involved. It wouldn't be that difficult to get 6 professors to teach an extra 3 hours a week.

That's just my opinion and I wanted to verify if georgetown is putting two large programs (medical + smp) in the same classroom.

I know you haven't had graduate school yet, but honestly you really don't have to worry about it. First off, if you are relying on teacher attention in medical school you are in big trouble, as there is just too much material. Secondly, the reason that the SMP is looked at so favorably by medical school admission committees is BECAUSE you sit next to the medical students. If you took the same class later it doesn't carry the same weight. Medical school admissions committees rely on knowing that your grades are as close as possible to what it would be if you were in fact in medical school.

The classes are plenty effective this way, and I promise you won't feel neglected. Unless you can only learn in a class of twenty students, but then there aren't any programs like that. (Some have 25 SMP students, but they also sit with the med students...)

Also, not that it matters, but all 400 students are NEVER there. By the time you subtract the people who never come to class and those who just happen to be gone that day, I'd say there is normally 150 to 200 students in the classroom. Based on the iClicker responses, the most I've ever seen clock in was just under 150, so take that for what its worth!

... I'd say there is normally 150 to 200 students in the classroom. Based on the iClicker responses, the most I've ever seen clock in was just under 150, so take that for what its worth!

whoa, iClickers? that's so...college

whoa, iClickers? that's so...college

Its their attempt to make the class more "interactive." This was the first year they did it though, so honestly not that many professors did it. I'd bet next year there will be a little bit more.

Now that the academic year for the 2008-2009 SMP is ending, I was wondering as to how many students Georgetown has invited back to attend their Medical School in the fall. Additionally, can anyone shine some light on the students that usually matriculate directly into G'Town Med from the SMP. Does the medical school usually accept those students who were at the top of the SMP class despite shortcomings in their prior postbacc/undergrad records? Or do they tend to accept more of the bunch that are borderline applicants before even attending the SMP?

Now that the academic year for the 2008-2009 SMP is ending, I was wondering as to how many students Georgetown has invited back to attend their Medical School in the fall. Additionally, can anyone shine some light on the students that usually matriculate directly into G'Town Med from the SMP. Does the medical school usually accept those students who were at the top of the SMP class despite shortcomings in their prior postbacc/undergrad records? Or do they tend to accept more of the bunch that are borderline applicants before even attending the SMP?

Guju is right about the general numbers...

We've been told that they largely look at your performance in the SMP independent of your undergraduate statistics. This last Fall the average SMP GPA that was accepted was a 3.7... So obviously they are the students who are doing quite well in the program.

Because of the shift in the M1 schedule, the SMP students who interviewed at Georgetown this year actually won't find out about acceptances for another week or two. Historically they would let students know by the 1st or 2nd week in May, but this year it won't be till the 3rd to 4th... So in answer to that question, we don't know yet who has gotten into the SMP.

This last fall I think there were 32 students! Which is great, but like guju said some of those students, I'd estimate around 5, maybe slightly more, are students from the previous year SMP class. So between 20 and 25 students will get in each year, and then 5 to 7 will get in after a lag year, making the total between 28 and 32 each year.

Hope that helps!

Hey Dr JD,

Big fan. I read all your posts and blogs. Or I thought I did... Last night I came across your name on a SDN waitlist thread. It got me wondering how your application to med schools is working out. You've been an open book so far, so I don't think you'd mind sharing. Acceptances, waitlists, flat-out rejections?

Hey guys, got into the program about a month ago, but I was abroad. Trying to figure out housing right now. Anyone else finding anything? So is Rosslyn the place to go? What are the sketchy areas that we should avoid?

Hey guys, got into the program about a month ago, but I was abroad. Trying to figure out housing right now. Anyone else finding anything? So is Rosslyn the place to go? What are the sketchy areas that we should avoid?

Rossyln would be my choice. Most of the sketchy areas are pretty obvious. Essentially anywhere in DC, that isn't "Georgetown", or Dupont. Personally I wouldn't really want to live near Dupont, but I know classmates that do and love it!

Hey Dr JD,

Big fan. I read all your posts and blogs. Or I thought I did... Last night I came across your name on a SDN waitlist thread. It got me wondering how your application to med schools is working out. You've been an open book so far, so I don't think you'd mind sharing. Acceptances, waitlists, flat-out rejections?

Absolutely! I've tried to be as open as I can be without completely destroying my anonymity. I'm still on a few waitlists like you noticed, so once I hear back with a little bit more finality I'll make a nice detailed post with all the schools I applied to, and the break down from there. So, soon!

Hey guys,

I just posted to the blog! So check it out, and please comment. I give a small outline of what I am going to do with the blog over the next few weeks as I finish up the program, but would love your input. I'd like for all of the posts from the blog to serve as like an "insiders guide" to future classes.

Many of you have been reading from the beginning so you know what all is in there. But if there is anything you think of that you'd personally want in an insiders guide, post it as a question/suggestion to my latest post and i will dedicate a blog post to that topic before the blog is retired.

If you post here regularly and haven't checked out my blog, I encourage you to do so, it is all about my experience this year in the Georgetown SMP.

Good luck to those of you waiting to hear, and to those of you on the waiting list!

EDIT: Just in case my signature isn't showing the address you can Click here It may just be this computer I'm on, so I'm sorry if this is redundant.

The SMP website said to list Georgetown as schools attended on AMCAS. Do we need to send transcripts from Georgetown? I'm thinking no, and that we select "Current (spring, summer, fall) or upcoming (spring, summer) coursework, no previous enrollment at this school." when it asks for a reason to exempt... Right?

The SMP website said to list Georgetown as schools attended on AMCAS. Do we need to send transcripts from Georgetown? I'm thinking no, and that we select "Current (spring, summer, fall) or upcoming (spring, summer) coursework, no previous enrollment at this school." when it asks for a reason to exempt... Right?

YES.

You DO NOT need transcripts yet, and yes the future coursework exemption should work fine.

No its not your computer. The way SDN works you don't get your signature in every post in a thread but on the first post of a page. So if you have 5 posts on this page of this thread, then you will have only the first post you had on this page of the thread showing your signature.

Hope that clarifies it for you. Not sure if it is different for advanced donors but that's what I got out of it.

Gotcha, I figured something like that... Normally I assume that, but my wife was using my computer so I was using what we affectionately refer to as the "crap top." So I wasn't sure, lol

Rossyln would be my choice. Most of the sketchy areas are pretty obvious. Essentially anywhere in DC, that isn't "Georgetown", or Dupont. Personally I wouldn't really want to live near Dupont, but I know classmates that do and love it!
What don't you like about Dupont? My classmate at SF State raves about Dupont, except about the price.

I'm eager for your next few posts, JD. You've been so helpful, I can't think of any more questions besides the elephant in the room that enzoferrari asked.

BTW, enzoferrari, did you see the new Enzo? Looks sooo aggressive.

enzo.jpg

You'll know me because Im going to roll onto the Gtown campus driving it.