GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If that's the case then we would all be accepted! :) yay!

There were 22 interviewees on may 4th.

True Esc. that is very reaosnable. I like the rationale.

Now, if they got 210 apps, is it reasonable to say they will have another huge class this year. Cause the year they had 187 apps, they had 37 students matriculate. So this year they had 12% more applicants than that big year so maybe the class will be 12% bigger at 40-41? Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad.

True Esc. that is very reaosnable. I like the rationale.

Now, if they got 210 apps, is it reasonable to say they will have another huge class this year. Cause the year they had 187 apps, they had 37 students matriculate. So this year they had 12% more applicants than that big year so maybe the class will be 12% bigger at 40-41? Just a thought.

Thanks bro. We will just have to wait and see.

I am thinking along the same lines and hoping for it to be true that we will have a bigger class. But I am not sure if it will be 40-41 because from what we know I think 42-43 interviewed this year. And I think it also depends on how many students they interviewed the year that they had 187 apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, 49 interviews? did that many people show up? I'm still waiting, hoping for good news also.

Man, 49 interviews? did that many people show up? I'm still waiting, hoping for good news also.

I believe that is the number of interviews that have been offered to applicants, but it seems like 5-7 did not accept the invite.

If we look at the past 3 years the acceptance rate compared to total number of completed applications were hovering around 18 to 20 percent. If the patterns persist in this year's decision then I can say that there will be at least 35 seats. What do u guys think?

If we look at the past 3 years the acceptance rate compared to total number of completed applications were hovering around 18 to 20 percent. If the patterns persist in this year's decision then I can say that there will be at least 35 seats. What do u guys think?

That's an even better estimate, Plastic. By those numbers 35 is very conservative with 42 being the highest possibility. Realistically, I dont think the med school would be willing to give up 42 seats though. How big is the entering GUSOM class on avg.?

I believe the FAQ stated that an avg of 80 percent of gems students end up in gusom. That's a pretty banging number!

That is a good point. I didn't think of it that way. I sure hope they take at least 35.

I just hope the statistics doesn't follow last years pattern, since they mentioned that 61% were accepted from applicants who interviewed.

That's an even better estimate, Plastic. By those numbers 35 is very conservative with 42 being the highest possibility. Realistically, I dont think the med school would be willing to give up 42 seats though. How big is the entering GUSOM class on avg.?

No clue, but 35 looks like a good number, seeing that there were 37 seats that one year with less applicants. Is anybody harassing the postal service yet?

i think it is quite reasonable to think the med school would give up 40 seats for GEMSers. i mean after all, it would be a HUGE percentage of their minority students. and not just any minority students but minority students who are familiar with the GUSOM curriculum and have proven that they can successfully complete the work.

i think it is quite reasonable to think the med school would give up 40 seats for GEMSers. i mean after all, it would be a HUGE percentage of their minority students. and not just any minority students but minority students who are familiar with the GUSOM curriculum and have proven that they can successfully complete the work.

That makes a lot of sense, it appears a good amount of the minority population of GUSOM are former GEMS students. Reserving that many seats for GEMS students would mean for well-performing minority students, which would then look really good for the medical school.

the mail delivery in my neighborhood is pretty sporadic. Seems like the guy delivers when he feels like it. I would sometimes get mail at 11, 1, or 3. Great guy though and He's always smiling when I see him.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if the GEMS committee are waiting for 9:00 Pacific Time (12:00 ET) to start making calls? It seems reasonable, as they could not inconvenience people on the west coast by calling too early.

so now we can put our phones away and start running after the mailman??:D:D:luck::xf:

the mail delivery in my neighborhood is pretty sporadic. Seems like the guy delivers when he feels like it. I would sometimes get mail at 11, 1, or 3. Great guy though and He's always smiling when I see him.

Mail delivery here sucks. One could never tell when mail is delivered here, if at all.

Lol I think that's a better bet than having one eye fixated on the phone since it's already comfirmed that someone has already recieved an acceptance in the mail.

so now we can put our phones away and start running after the mailman??:D:D:luck::xf:

I wonder how long it would take for mail to reach CA from DC?

Anyone know?

You're forgetting Hawaii. :) there was an interviewee on may 4th that came from Hawaii. Heheheh

What if the GEMS committee are waiting for 9:00 Pacific Time (12:00 ET) to start making calls? It seems reasonable, as they could not inconvenience people on the west coast by calling too early.

Ok, I've been able to use my elite google skills to pinpoint the trajectory of 3 mail trucks in my area. I'm going to dispatch a group of trained squirrels to stand within 2m of these trucks, forcing them to stop. The squirrels will then raid the truck, searching for anything that contains "GEMS" or "Georgetown" delivered in my zip code. It's a bit tricky, but I think I can handle it. I will also have high resolution satellite photos taken of each route the squirrels take.

Wish me luck.

If your squirrels pull out of this alive then I call dibs on them for my mail extraction. :)

Ok, I've been able to use my elite google skills to pinpoint the trajectory of 3 mail trucks in my area. I'm going to dispatch a group of trained squirrels to stand within 2m of these trucks, forcing them to stop. The squirrels will then raid the truck, searching for anything that contains "GEMS" or "Georgetown" delivered in my zip code. It's a bit tricky, but I think I can handle it. I will also have high resolution satellite photos taken of each route the squirrels take.

Wish me luck.

LOL, what if they all just get run over! :D

I wonder if the GEMS committee members are secretly reading this thread and rubbing their palms together smiling and thinking "heh heh heh, we'll make them wait... we'll make them waaaaaaaait. muhahaha."

I wonder if the GEMS committee members are secretly reading this thread and rubbing their palms together smiling and thinking "heh heh heh, we'll make them wait... we'll make them waaaaaaaait. muhahaha."

That's exactly what's going on. They probably already figured out who each of us really are, and decided to mess with us. They're trolling us, for sure.

Yea yea i wish they would have called..:)

on a different note, has any of you submitted your FAFSA and the institutional form?

You guys are hilarious.

I am sure if the GEMS Admission Committee is reading this forum right now.....they would be laughing so hard at us just about now.

i have submitted my fafsa, but not the institutional form. how about everyone else?

Do you think that they would base a decision on whether you filled out a FAFSA or not? I hope not...

On another note, Hawaii is UTC-10 while the east coast is UTC-5. If they want to start calling people at 9:00 Hawaii time, that would correspond to 2:00 pm ET. I'm still waiting at my phone.

Do you think that they would base a decision on whether you filled out a FAFSA or not? I hope not...

On another note, Hawaii is UTC-10 while the east coast is UTC-5. If they want to start calling people at 9:00 Hawaii time, that would correspond to 2:00 pm ET. I'm still waiting at my phone.

No way. :)

I honestly don't think so either.

i wonder how long it will take for the institutional form to get processed?

Did you guys put down your parents' finance info in your fafsa? I don't know if I should skip it or not. I'm an independent.

FAFSA yes, institutional form no. I will submit the institutional form sometime this week.

It appears that squirrels #001-#003 have been momentarily sidetracked by berries, and narrowly escaped their untimely demise. Unfortunately,in doing so, I seem to have lost one truck. I will update with more info.

Did you guys put down your parents' finance info in your fafsa? I don't know if I should skip it or not. I'm an independent.

Skip it. I've been doing that on the FAFSA since I started college, as I am also an independent.

I did not because I was under the impression that you only include them if they claim you as a dependent on their tax return.

My eyes are literally bleeding from looking at the screen/cellphone without blinking.