Florida schools - interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DrMike24 said:
I'm trying to decide between UM and USF... It just doesnt feel right to withdraw from UM, especially after the partial tution scholarship...

What do you all know about the clinical experience at USF? Thats really the main thing pulling me toward UM... I have heard that they offer lots and lots of clinical experience... any comments?

Hey Dr. Mike

I am just finishing up my second year here at USF. I will do my best to recount my clinical experiences so far. I know that one of the students from Miami previously said that he/she felt that the clinical stuff early on is a waste of time and that more time to focus on the boards would be better. Let me offer a contrary perspective if you will bear through my long writing. Like REL said you will work formally with 3 docs during the 1st 2 years. At least one will be primary care (family, peds, IM) and one will be a specialty (GI, neurosurgery, ortho, derm etc...), the last can be either. In this process you have no say about your 1st pairing. During 1st year I was paired up with a Family Practice doc for about 6 months. She was in Clearwater and the drive sucked, but the experience was great. I was only a shadowing experience for the 1st day, after that I was seeing patients and getting to misdiagnose stuff all over the place. The benefit if this experience is that I could practice my interviewing skills and fumble my way through the physical exam. I would see 3-5 patients a day on my own, and present them to her, and then she would have me write a one of the notes before I left. During that LCE (that's Longitudinal Clinical Experience) I got to see everything from your typical old guy with hyper everything, kids for sports physicals, a young guy with bizarrely uncontrollable HTN (...mental note not to do cocaine before getting blood chemistry/toxscreen drawn) to a rather nice gentleman who had a fungal infection on his penis for 9 months(please don't ask). Overall, this was a great experience. She was a very knowledgable doc, really good with her patients, the residents were very good to me, I learned a lot, and realized that I probably don't want to do family medicine.

The point of these early experiences is not so much to get you to be a rock star at diagnosing stuff, but to #1: put some context to what you are learning in the classroom, #2: give you a freakin break from the classroom, #3: to let the students begin to understand how all of the "nuts and bolts" of patient care work such as interacting with attendings, presenting, writing notes etc and, #4: most importantly in my opinion the LCE lets you begin to understand and become part of the complexities of the doctor -patient relationship. Because this is not graded you really just get to use this as a learning tool to best fit your needs.

For the sake of space and time I will hurry here.

Between 1st and 2nd year during my summer I did research with a foot and ankle orthopod. I needed to work that summer and because I am smarter than I am good looking I choose paid research over exotic dancing. Research is not required, but if you want to do it you can and they will throw ~ 2500 bones your way. Aside form doing the clinical research (not really that time consuming) I got to go into clinic with her and see patients and go into the OR. In her clinic I would see new patients 1st and then present them to her, I would rebandage dressings, take out staples and sutures, and try very poorly to read Xrays (no radiology for me). Clinic days were crazy and way over booked, but she was a great teacher and very patient. Friday was OR day. I got to scrub in on every case (at present we have no ortho residency so it was just her and I). I got to do some suturing, take screws, lots of bovieing (sp?), and I got to be there when we amputated the toe of one of our faculty :eek: . Overall, a very good experience. I will likely get a paper out of the research and realized that I like surgery, but not bones.

During 2nd year I had 2 docs that I worked with. For the 1st part of the year I was with a pediatric pulmonologist. He was a good guy, very caring. I found the experience a bit boring and somewhat depressing though. Lots of asthma over and over (boring after a couple of weeks, at least for me) and a good amount of cystic fibrosis kids (kinda depressing). He had a very busy practice and and I saw tons of patients, but they were generally from one of the previous 2 groups. Not a thrilling experience, but not bad overall. I can rule out pulmonology as a field and probably peds too.

My second LCE of the 2nd year was with a general surgeon. This was my favorite so far. The drive was the worst by far, but well worth it I thought. Each week I would alternate between clinic days and OR days. It was at the VA in St. Pete so I got to see a lot of the traditional bread and butter GS stuff. Lots of hernias, carotid endarterectomies, generally lots of gut surgeries. In the clinic I saw patients and presented them to the attending just as the MSIIIs were doing, although not quite as good. Again I got to scrub in on almost every case, but here there were residents and MSIIIs so the 1on1 was less, but the cases I thought were more interesting than over the summer. The highlight was scrubbing in on a AAA repair (abdominal aortic aneurysm). Lots of holding retractors and stuff in the OR, but you understand anatomy so much better when you see it alive and beating.

Overall in the 1st 2 years I scrubbed in on a couple of dozen OR cases. I have done a good amount of focused H&Ps (you kinda lose count, but I'm guessing Ive done and written up 25-30). Probably a dozen full H&Ps and seen >100 pts with the docs (probably a couple of hundred). I think that many of my classmates have had similar experiences. My experiences overall were very good, because I think that I had really good preceptors. During the 2nd year you can have some i/p about the 3rd preceptor that you have, but the 1st two are assigned to you.

Ok, sorry Dr. Mike and all for the long windedness. I hope that at some point I actually addressed your question. Yes, seeing all those pesky sick people will distract you from studying for step 1 for a few hours as my colleague from Miami pointed out, but they will also be there when you study for step 2 and I think you will also need to see patients when you study for step 3 and .....judges ....yep you will be seeing patients when you are studying for your specialty boards. My sarcastic point is that the time away from the books is generally a good and welcomed experience. I think that is one of the highlights at USF.

Good luck my friend on having the enviable burden of deciding between medical schools.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

QofQuimica said:
:mad: I thought we had something special, burnsie. After you told all of SDN how you and I slept together, how you could do this to me??? Why me??? :smuggrin:
Look, Q, I'll be honest...I want commitment. I'm not just some 22 year old looking for a little Saturday night action from the moderator of the MCAT forum anymore. Those days are behind me. Now that I'm 23, I need to start thinking about settling down with that one or two special people. And since illegal-in-49-states common law marriages don't seem to be in your plans, I just have to look elsewhere from now on. I hope you understand. :(

MrBurns10 said:
You're not kidding, a lot of the girls there were quite attractive. This, of course, didn't factor into my medical school decision as my path to lesbianism goes through unfrozencaveman.

Vegas?

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:
you're on

I feel this is a ploy to up the timeline on the bullet train. Whatever it takes to get you in the sack burnsie.

MrBurns10 said:
Look, Q, I'll be honest...I want commitment. I'm not just some 22 year old looking for a little Saturday night action from the moderator of the MCAT forum anymore. Those days are behind me. Now that I'm 23, I need to start thinking about settling down with that one or two special people. And since illegal-in-49-states common law marriages don't seem to be in your plans, I just have to look elsewhere from now on. I hope you understand. :(
It's because you're in love with caveman, isn't it? I knew that hussie was going to steal you away. :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
I can personally vouch that deuist is a cutie. :thumbup: I don't know what it is about UM, but there are definitely some real hotties there. :love:

Its Miami of course there's gonna be some cuties.........especially with those hot latino men. Ooooh lala!!!!!!!!!

But don't let A-man know you are hitting on another man. He may get jealous Q. You better watch out for that. :p ;) :smuggrin: :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
Its Miami of course there's gonna be some cuties.........especially with those hot latino men. Ooooh lala!!!!!!!!!

But don't let A-man know you are hitting on another man. He may get jealous Q. You better watch out for that. :p ;) :smuggrin: :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nah, he's left me too; these days he's busy "studying physiology." :( I just can't compete with other women and the medical licensing board, guju. You'll still be my friend though, won't you??? I have to have one in this whole state. :p

Q, which school have you decided on?

deuist said:
But what about deuist? I don't want to sleep alone any more! You three need to get a room.
now now, there's plenty of room for everyone.

and no, Q, it's not because of frozey...it's the fact that you scarred me for life when you chose to study your application for 3 hours the night before your 23479283th interview instead of watch Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle with me. It was then that I realized the futility of any sort of relationship between us.

Members don't see this ad :)
REL said:
If you want to be a clinical MD there is no question that you will get a more thorough clinical experience at UM. There is little difference in NIH standing between the two. Gainesville is a wonderful undergrad town but doesnt have what it takes to sustain the overall clinical experience without sending you to the Jax. UM has it all right there, large population, tons of great clinical facilities, culture, and the ability to fly out on breaks and for missions trips. Those of some of the same reasons many are beginning to pick USF over UF -- the realization has hit. You really need diverse clinical training facilities, large patient populations, and a curriculum and technology which is used for the overall learning of the student doctor. Residencies at all three schools are strong all over the states and your final tuition debt will be similar over the long run. If you want to go clinical, it's and easy choice.

I would respectfully disagree with the above....

Shands in gville serves a large drainage area from the panhandle and central FL. In addition, you have a large VA right across the street which will provide you with a hefty amount of clinical exposure. Jacksonville simply supplements all of this by giving you a more inner-city, urban health care experience. Shands Jax shouldn't be seen as a downside either.... its an hour and a half away and will provide you with some great opportunities as a med student. I did central lines, LPs, art. sticks all while I was in Jax and a had a chance to see some interesting pathology (late stage AIDS, TB etc.). I am currently finishing my intern year at a major medical center in the northeast, I've never felt under the weather with regards to my "clinical experience."

I think it's important that premeds realize the "clincal exposure" debate pitting UF against the other FL schools is really non-issue. UF will provide you with a fantastic experience clinically and with regard to basic science education. With regards to technology, UF has been on top of things for years with a well established standardized patient center and computerized block exams that are very similar to the CBT that you will find on the USMLE. Why take written exams when your boards are computerized? The material you learn will be similar at any school-- UF doesn't just teach you to the boards, it gives you a strong foundation to carry on with you to wards.

With regard to residency placement, all of the FL schools have good records. I personally feel that UF stands out, however, with regard to placement in the more competitive fields. This is something I never even thought of as a premed and certainly didnt realize until 4th year came around. It's probably early for most (if not all) of you to figure out what you want to do with yourself after medical school.... but I would challenge you to look at matchlists from all the schools and see which schools place people into the fields you are considering. If primary care is your end goal, then any of these 3 schools would be fine. If it's a specialty, you may want to do some further research.

I think REL has a point in regards to the clinical keeping you motivated through the sciences-- and I found that to be a great draw towards UM. Presumably my actions on this message board were the reasons I didnt get an interview at USF, so I don't know much about things over there... I'm sure you get more clinical exposure than you could ever use as a medical student (going from zero, I'm not sure how you could run out the whole gamut even at a slow hospital) at UF, but there was something about the excitement of UM that I really loved. I would turn down all but a very small handful of schools to go there now-- a point which would be better illustrated had I been accepted to any of them. Especially you, Stanford. You suck.
Anyhoo, I've always thought UM's star was on the rise, and now at the end of this process I am quite sure of it. Their accepting of me should be considered an anomaly in their good judgement.

Unfrozey,

You crack me up tooooooooo much!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'd think its the other way around that a school that didn't pick you is the anomaly. :p

Or at least it should be that way. :D

I can't believe medgator is (respectfully) disagreeing with REL. I would trust REL's opinion on the subject, I think he has a more unbiased take.

I shadowed attendings at Shands Gainesville, I loved the hospital and the people (residents, attendings that I met), and though I believe the hospital does carry a variety of cases and will expose a student to many things, there is no comparison to what you will see at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Even Shands Jacskonville (of which I'm a native to Jacksonville) will not expose a student to as much as JMH. I loved Shands and have only the upmost respect for the clinicians there, however, as far as clinical exposure I feel there is no comparison.

gujuDoc said:
Unfrozey,

You crack me up tooooooooo much!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'd think its the other way around that a school that didn't pick you is the anomaly. :p

Or at least it should be that way. :D

Thanks G.

medgator said:
I would respectfully disagree with the above....

Shands in gville serves a large drainage area from the panhandle and central FL. In addition, you have a large VA right across the street which will provide you with a hefty amount of clinical exposure. Jacksonville simply supplements all of this by giving you a more inner-city, urban health care experience. Shands Jax shouldn't be seen as a downside either.... its an hour and a half away and will provide you with some great opportunities as a med student. I did central lines, LPs, art. sticks all while I was in Jax and a had a chance to see some interesting pathology (late stage AIDS, TB etc.). I am currently finishing my intern year at a major medical center in the northeast, I've never felt under the weather with regards to my "clinical experience."
Did anyone else read this and think that they're about to read a treatise about the woes of water management in Florida??? I don't know why, but that sentence just struck me as being funny. I'm imagining the drainage of nasty stormwater into all of those nice little springs in North Florida, which then proceed to trickly down through the Everglades and sugar farms to South Florida, which was where the pollution originally came from...it's a beautiful unnatural cycle of water. :laugh: Sorry, medgator, hope you don't mind a little teasing. :)

Burnsie, be fair. That one app is longer by far than every other medical school's apps put together. It took me three hours just to read through all of the questions on the secondary last fall, let alone my own answers to them. :smuggrin: And one thing that you don't know is that I spent 3/4 of the time on the phone talking to, um, some friends....bet you didn't expect to hear THAT, did you??? :p

QofQ, which school did you decide on?

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions on deciding between the two schools. I have decided to go with USF, because of a combination of several different factors. I hope my scholarship money at UM goes to one of you crazy cats! :)

unfrozencaveman said:
I think REL has a point in regards to the clinical keeping you motivated through the sciences-- and I found that to be a great draw towards UM. Presumably my actions on this message board were the reasons I didnt get an interview at USF, so I don't know much about things over there... I'm sure you get more clinical exposure than you could ever use as a medical student (going from zero, I'm not sure how you could run out the whole gamut even at a slow hospital) at UF, but there was something about the excitement of UM that I really loved. I would turn down all but a very small handful of schools to go there now-- a point which would be better illustrated had I been accepted to any of them. Especially you, Stanford. You suck.
Anyhoo, I've always thought UM's star was on the rise, and now at the end of this process I am quite sure of it. Their accepting of me should be considered an anomaly in their good judgement.

"Man" did I screw up!!! Since I dont know who you really are, I cant tell where I went awry. Your antics here were more likely to get you selected. I guess I coulda asked Q, but truthfully I didnt think of it. My loss.

Awww, your loss-UM's gain! :thumbup: Has everyone met Q?...am I the only one that only knows her on SDN?...she is like a 2005/2006 application cycle goddess! I'm very jealous!

REL, I also did not receive an interview at USF after maticulously completing my secondary application, but no hard feelings-you seem like a great guy. (By the way, USF's application was the only one I completed maticulously and one of the only schools I didn't receive an interview from, perhaps I tried too hard).

REL said:
"Man" did I screw up!!! Since I dont know who you really are, I cant tell where I went awry. Your antics here were more likely to get you selected. I guess I coulda asked Q, but truthfully I didnt think of it. My loss.
REL, if you only knew the truth about caveman.... :smuggrin: :scared: Actually, I shouldn't crack on her so much....she really does have a totally awesome bachelorette pad. :thumbup: Even when the power goes out. :D

McMD, I met a bunch of the FL thread people during my interviews. I actually met REL like two years ago because I talked with him, Robyn at UF, and Dr. H at UM for advice before I applied. :cool: I stayed in touch with all of them last year while I was applying. I honestly don't think I would have been nearly as successful without their suggestions; FL admissions people are the bestest. :thumbup: :love:

QofQuimica said:
REL, if you only knew the truth about caveman.... :smuggrin: :scared: Actually, I shouldn't crack on her so much....she really does have a totally awesome bachelorette pad. :thumbup: Even when the power goes out. :D

McMD, I met a bunch of the FL thread people during my interviews. I actually met REL like two years ago because I talked with him, Robyn at UF, and Dr. H at UM for advice before I applied. :cool: I stayed in touch with all of them last year while I was applying. I honestly don't think I would have been nearly as successful without their suggestions; FL admissions people are the bestest. :thumbup: :love:

YUP Fl. rocks the world.

medgator said:
I did central lines, LPs, art. sticks all while I was in Jax and a had a chance to see some interesting pathology (late stage AIDS, TB etc.).

Yeah, and you should see some of the crazy things that our freshmen get to do. One of the benefits of indigent patients is that they never complain when a student works on them.

I am currently finishing my intern year at a major medical center in the northeast, I've never felt under the weather with regards to my "clinical experience."

I would hope so! Only a really poor medical school would leave you unprepared for residency. A great medical school is one that leaves PDs saying, "Wow! That 4th year is more experienced than our interns."

I would challenge you to look at matchlists from all the schools and see which schools place people into the fields you are considering.

Here are the match lists. They look pretty similar to me for UM, UF, and USF. FSU definitely is slanted in the primary care direction. (Unfortunately, SDN will mess up the table):

............................UM..UF..USF..FSU
Anesthesia.............12.....9.....6.....1
Dermatology...........1......3....1.....0
Emergency Med.......6......6.....6.....0
Family Medicine.......7......6.....9.....8
General Surgery.......9......5......5.....5
Internal Medicine.....35....19....17....4
Med-Peds...............2......0.....2.....0
Neurology...............7......0.....1.....0
Neuro Surgery.........1......2.....1.....0
nuclear.med............1......0.....0.....0
ob/gyn...................9.....10....3....5
Ophthalmology........2......5.....1....0
Oral Surgery...........0......2....0....0
Orthopaedics..........4......4....2....1
Otolaryngology........2......3....1....2
Pathology...............2......2....4....0
Pediatrics...............13....11...10....2
Plastic Surg............0......0.....1....1
Physical Med...........1.....1.....1....0
Psychiatry..............8.....10...10....0
Radiation Oncology...1.....2.....1....0
Radiology...............15....9.....6....2
Urology..................0.....0.....2....0

Sources: UM, UF, USF, FSU

Thanks Deuist!....I looked at the match lists when they were first posted, but your "chart" just gives me a little more encouragement for my decision.

I'm back to the Miami campus!!! Dr. H just emailed me :D

REL said:

Ah, I jumped ship everywhere at the first school who would have me. Dr. H was busting my chops the second I walked through the door. Miami just meshed well with my agenda (of busting chops).

unfrozencaveman said:
Ah, I jumped ship everywhere at the first school who would have me. Dr. H was busting my chops the second I walked through the door. Miami just meshed well with my agenda (of busting chops).
Umm, are you posting from Ecuador?

RunnerMD said:
I'm back to the Miami campus!!! Dr. H just emailed me :D
YEAH!!! Are you excited??? So, are you definite on the Miami campus (since you were unsure of which campus you wanted to go to before). I'm excited, now we try to find a church together! :D

deuist said:
Yeah, and you should see some of the crazy things that our freshmen get to do. One of the benefits of indigent patients is that they never complain when a student works on them.

I would hope so! Only a really poor medical school would leave you unprepared for residency. A great medical school is one that leaves PDs saying, "Wow! That 4th year is more experienced than our interns."

Here are the match lists. They look pretty similar to me for UM, UF, and USF. FSU definitely is slanted in the primary care direction. (Unfortunately, SDN will mess up the table):

............................UM..UF..USF..FSU
Anesthesia.............12.....9.....6.....1
Dermatology...........1......3....1.....0
Emergency Med.......6......6.....6.....0
Family Medicine.......7......6.....9.....8
General Surgery.......9......5......5.....5
Internal Medicine.....35....19....17....4
Med-Peds...............2......0.....2.....0
Neurology...............7......0.....1.....0
Neuro Surgery.........1......2.....1.....0
nuclear.med............1......0.....0.....0
ob/gyn...................9.....10....3....5
Ophthalmology........2......5.....1....0
Oral Surgery...........0......2....0....0
Orthopaedics..........4......4....2....1
Otolaryngology........2......3....1....2
Pathology...............2......2....4....0
Pediatrics...............13....11...10....2
Plastic Surg............0......0.....1....1
Physical Med...........1.....1.....1....0
Psychiatry..............8.....10...10....0
Radiation Oncology...1.....2.....1....0
Radiology...............15....9.....6....2
Urology..................0.....0.....2....0

Sources: UM, UF, USF, FSU

That's fine, but I would still recommened looking at trends. Look at the matchlists over the past few years and see the trends for the specialties you might be interested in. Again like I mentioned, I think if your interests are in primary care, any of the FL schools will be more than adequate for that. If anything you might want to check out FSU...

Getting back to specialties-- For example, in 2005, UF had 5 people match into neurosurgery, 2 derm, 3 people into ortho, 4 into rad onc, and 2 into ENT. For a class of 99 people, that's pretty significant. If I was interested in neurosurgery, I'd probably look into that more. I can't quote the exact numbers for 2004 or 2003, but I do know that in 2004, UF placed 4 ppl into rad onc out of a class of 110 and quite a few into neurosurg again. For rad onc, that's definitely significant.

medgator said:
That's fine, but I would still recommened looking at trends. Look at the matchlists over the past few years and see the trends for the specialties you might be interested in.

The trend: UF has increased its class size, while at the same time it has had fewer people match into neurosurgery and rad onc. Using your logic, UF is going down hill---which I find strange given that Gainesville has the Brain Institute.

If I was interested in neurosurgery, I'd probably look into that more.

I've seen several of your posts in the past where you continually cite the number of UF grads going into neuro surgery. What's the deal with you and this specialty? Are you planning on applying to it? Back to topic: few people have an idea of what they want to specialize in when they matriculate to medical school. I especially can't imagine that a significant number of students would know that they want to do rad onc or neuro surg so far in advanced. I reiterate my previous point that students can go to either UF, UM, or USF and have a safe chance of matching into whatever specialty they want.

deuist said:
The trend: UF has increased its class size, while at the same time it has had fewer people match into neurosurgery and rad onc. Using your logic, UF is going down hill---which I find strange given that Gainesville has the Brain Institute.

I've seen several of your posts in the past where you continually cite the number of UF grads going into neuro surgery. What's the deal with you and this specialty? Are you planning on applying to it? Back to topic: few people have an idea of what they want to specialize in when they matriculate to medical school. I especially can't imagine that a significant number of students would know that they want to do rad onc or neuro surg so far in advanced. I reiterate my previous point that students can go to either UF, UM, or USF and have a safe chance of matching into whatever specialty they want.

Ever thought that maybe less people were interested in it this year? I am not going to beat this topic to death-- ill let the numbers speak for themselves and allow people to draw their own conclusions. I was using rad onc and neurosurgery as examples-- for any school to have 4-5% of its class match into each of those fields is pretty impressive I think. There seems to be a dearth of info/perspectives on UF in this thread... I am simply making the info available. It's just another thing to consider when choosing a school. I didnt think about it when I was a premed about to start medical school, but now having gone through the process of matriculating into a pretty competitive residency (rad onc), I think it was important. Chill out man.

medgator said:
Ever thought that maybe less people were interested in it this year? I am not going to beat this topic to death anymore-- ill let the numbers speak for themselves and allow people to draw their own conclusions. I was using rad onc and neurosurgery as examples-- for any school to have 4-5% of its class match into those fields is pretty impressive I think. There seems to be a dearth of info on UF in this thread... I am simply making the info available. It's just another thing to consider when choosing a school. Chill out man.

See when I brought up my post about USF vs. Miami, it was because Dr.Mike24 was actually still considering between those two schools. So my post was only relevant between the only choices he has available since UF rejected him. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

P.S. I think you'll do fine where ever you go in Florida or elsewhere.

gujuDoc said:
See when I brought up my post about USF vs. Miami, it was because Dr.Mike24 was actually still considering between those two schools. So my post was only relevant between the only choices he has available since UF rejected him. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

P.S. I think you'll do fine where ever you go in Florida or elsewhere.

I was writing in response to REL's post. In the end youll probably be fine at any of the schools-- they're all great. These are just factors to consider when comparing them.

Woah, dudes, what's with all the negativity? The FL thread is for love, peace and happiness, not internecine Florida disputes (all bets are off if those freaks from the NC thread come back here; US ganging up on THEM is totally fair game. :smuggrin: ) Seriously, there is no "bad" or "wrong" choice among the Florida schools, and different people have different preferences, which is A-OK. We don't all have to agree on which FL school we like the best. Each school has its own strengths and weaknesses, so they appeal to different people based on different priorities, and that's a GOOD thing.

QofQuimica said:
Woah, dudes, what's with all the negativity? The FL thread is for love, peace and happiness, not internecine Florida disputes (all bets are off if those freaks from the NC thread come back here; US ganging up on THEM is totally fair game. :smuggrin: ) Seriously, there is no "bad" or "wrong" choice among the Florida schools, and different people have different preferences, which is A-OK. We don't all have to agree on which FL school we like the best. Each school has its own strengths and weaknesses, so they appeal to different people based on different priorities, and that's a GOOD thing.

Agreed. The only "bad" or "wrong" choice would be Duke.

QofQuimica said:
:smuggrin: My thoughts exactly. Anything within the NC state borders is IMMEDIATELY suspect.

Why do you hate us so much? All we are trying to do is escape a thread that is failing. We have no opportunities there. We can't feed our families on the humor that abounds here on the other side of the thread border. You would do the same thing. Maybe we can work out a "guest poster" program. I'm not calling it amnesty. Let's face it, you need us to maintain the low brow humor in which the Florida posters are unwilling to take part. Plus, many of you trace your roots outside of the Florida thread. I mean I don't see anyone posting in the Pennsylvania Interview thread. Don't forget your immigrant roots!

medgator said:
I was writing in response to REL's post. In the end youll probably be fine at any of the schools-- they're all great. These are just factors to consider when comparing them.

You are correct in that Florida is blessed with 3, and eventually 4, better than average medical schools with strong residency reputations. I do not include FSU's data here because of their lack of residency data in the MSAR.

As to residencies, they are really a function of the med students desires. Those desires are often a product of what they have seen and done while in medical school --- the more you see the more you rule in our out. The major differences in the big 3 programs in Florida is the actual breadth and depth of real patient interactions, diversity and breadth of facilities wherein you obtained your experience, and size and diversity of patient populations. In these factors there are large curricular differences in each program. On those things we can debate until SDN is no longer in vogue. I would like to offer data provided in the AAMC/MSAR data in the most recent book released two weeks ago. I think that you will see only subtle numerical differences in each category.

The last 3 years of residencies (2001-03 %class)
-----------------------USF----UF----UM
Anest.------------------6------5------6
Emer Med---------------4------4------6
Fam Prac----------------8-----12-----7
Internal Med------------15-----15----27
OB/Gyn------------------6-----10-----6
Ortho Surg---------------3------4-----1
Pediatrics----------------9-----11----10
Psychiatry---------------7------4------2
Radiology---------------10------6------5
Surgery------------------6------7------4

Entering Class August 2005 Matriculants
---------------------------USF-----UF-----UM
Matriculants---------------120-----128-----182
Hispanic %----------------16.7-----7.8-----15.9
Asian %-------------------20.8----14.8----19.8
Black/Am Ind/Peurto R%----12.5----10.1-----8.2
Male----------------------48.3-----52.2----42.2

Median SGPA---------------3.68----3.74----3.75
Median OGPA---------------3.74----3.78----3.77
MCAT----------------------30P-----32Q-----30P

Comm Svc Exp %-----------78------64------64
Med related work %---------90------83------86
Research %-----------------72------80------75

Sci/Math Majors %----------68------64------76
BA Degree %----------------98------99------76
Grad Degree %--------------18-------4-------5

Have fun in your translations. (I guess I failed the SDN columnizing course)

roboyce said:
Why do you hate us so much? All we are trying to do is escape a thread that is failing. We have no opportunities there. We can't feed our families on the humor that abounds here on the other side of the thread border. You would do the same thing. Maybe we can work out a "guest poster" program. I'm not calling it amnesty. Let's face it, you need us to maintain the low brow humor in which the Florida posters are unwilling to take part. Plus, many of you trace your roots outside of the Florida thread. I mean I don't see anyone posting in the Pennsylvania Interview thread. Don't forget your immigrant roots!
Why us? There's a very nice AL thread floating around here somewhere. I made it myself. ;) I'm fine with you guest posting, but just not in my backyard. :D

QofQuimica said:
Why us? There's a very nice AL thread floating around here somewhere. I made it myself. ;) I'm fine with you guest posting, but just not in my backyard. :D

I, for one, welcome our new North Carolinian overlords.

I especially like how they lurk around spying on you, pop in whenever they feel like it, and then leave you no recourse to get them back.

Still, what would Burns and I make fun of offline? Alabama? Way too easy.

unfrozencaveman said:
I, for one, welcome our new North Carolinian overlords.

I especially like how they lurk around spying on you, pop in whenever they feel like it, and then leave you no recourse to get them back.

Still, what would Burns and I make fun of offline? Alabama? Way too easy.
I still haven't forgiven them for voting our thread down. :thumbdown: The taunts are one thing, but this thread is obviously a five star thread, and they're just being spiteful b/c theirs isn't. :mad: :p

REL said:
You are correct in that Florida is blessed with 3, and eventually 4, better than average medical schools with strong residency reputations. I do not include FSU's data here because of their lack of residency data in the MSAR.

As to residencies, they are really a function of the med students desires. Those desires are often a product of what they have seen and done while in medical school --- the more you see the more you rule in our out. The major differences in the big 3 programs in Florida is the actual breadth and depth of real patient interactions, diversity and breadth of facilities wherein you obtained your experience, and size and diversity of patient populations. In these factors there are large curricular differences in each program. On those things we can debate until SDN is no longer in vogue. I would like to offer data provided in the AAMC/MSAR data in the most recent book released two weeks ago. I think that you will see only subtle numerical differences in each category.

The last 3 years of residencies (2001-03 %class)
-----------------------USF----UF----UM
Anest.------------------6------5------6
Emer Med---------------4------4------6
Fam Prac----------------8-----12-----7
Internal Med------------15-----15----27
OB/Gyn------------------6-----10-----6
Ortho Surg---------------3------4-----1
Pediatrics----------------9-----11----10
Psychiatry---------------7------4------2
Radiology---------------10------6------5
Surgery------------------6------7------4

Entering Class August 2005 Matriculants
---------------------------USF-----UF-----UM
Matriculants---------------120-----128-----182
Hispanic %----------------16.7-----7.8-----15.9
Asian %-------------------20.8----14.8----19.8
Black/Am Ind/Peurto R%----12.5----10.1-----8.2
Male----------------------48.3-----52.2----42.2

Median SGPA---------------3.68----3.74----3.75
Median OGPA---------------3.74----3.78----3.77
MCAT----------------------30P-----32Q-----30P

Comm Svc Exp %-----------78------64------64
Med related work %---------90------83------86
Research %-----------------72------80------75

Sci/Math Majors %----------68------64------76
BA Degree %----------------98------99------76
Grad Degree %--------------18-------4-------5

Have fun in your translations. (I guess I failed the SDN columnizing course)

Are there any MSAR data on some of the other fields? With the exception of ortho, general surg and perhaps radiology, most of the fields listed are of mild to moderate competitiveness. Is there any data on Urology, neurosurgery, rad onc, ENT, optho, integrated plastics, or dermatology?

medgator said:
Are there any MSAR data on some of the other fields? With the exception of ortho, general surg and perhaps radiology, most of the fields listed are of mild to moderate competitiveness. Is there any data on Urology, neurosurgery, rad onc, ENT, optho, integrated plastics, or dermatology?

The MSAR doesnt provide other than what was posted here. The subcategories that you mentioned are included in their more global specialty area. I suspect each program keeps the information in more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.