Florida schools - interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back about an interview from any of the Florida schools?

Members don't see this ad.

QofQuimica said:
Not yet, except for ED as far as I know.

Hey Q, could you update us when you start getting interviews at FL schools? :) You're sure to be in the first batch of invites ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
PressingOn said:
Hey Q, could you update us when you start getting interviews at FL schools? :) You're sure to be in the first batch of invites ;)

I've gotten only a complete email from USF, and UF has reviewed my application enough to write me with questions about the app- but other than that, nada.

In the USF email it says that their interview season begins in late september. USF is also getting my vote for best admissions department ever- I like their very transparent approach.

unfrozencaveman said:
I've gotten only a complete email from USF, and UF has reviewed my application enough to write me with questions about the app- but other than that, nada.

In the USF email it says that their interview season begins in late september. USF is also getting my vote for best admissions department ever- I like their very transparent approach.

What kind of questions is UF asking you? Just claification stuff?

All I've heard from UF is that my application is complete. I wonder when UF starts interviewing?

Yeah- just questions about my residency status. But the questions only surfaced by reading my activity section on my AMCAS.

unfrozencaveman said:
In the USF email it says that their interview season begins in late september.

Yeah, I think we won't hear for a while yet. One of my friends applied ED to USF, and her interview is on the 12th. So I think we'll start hearing after that.

I recieved a complete email from UF, USF, and on UM status page it says i'm on a ranked list and will recieve an interview depending on where I am on the list....

Good luck everyone!

GO Gators! Football season kicks off in two weeks....:)

Can you post a link for the UM status page?

Kleintje said:
I recieved a complete email from UF, USF, and on UM status page it says i'm on a ranked list and will recieve an interview depending on where I am on the list....

Good luck everyone!

GO Gators! Football season kicks off in two weeks....:)

All praise Urban Meyer! Florida will RULE this seaon!

So whatcha gonna do when the Florida Gators run wild on you!

Ok, I guess it's just the same page where the secondary is- but mine just says that my secondary has been sent and paid for.

QofQuimica said:
Yeah, I think we won't hear for a while yet. One of my friends applied ED to USF, and her interview is on the 12th. So I think we'll start hearing after that.

Yup this is what Mr. Larkin was saying on SDN back in July, when people were asking how EDP works.

I know few of my friends got their first interviews from USF in late september and then got their first acceptances (from USF) in mid October around the time MCAT scores were released. October 15th, I believe, was the date.

Those same people had interviews at UF and Miami starting around the same time, and then one for FSU a tad bit later in fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
Yup this is what Mr. Larkin was saying on SDN back in July, when people were asking how EDP works.

I know few of my friends got their first interviews from USF in late september and then got their first acceptances (from USF) in mid October around the time MCAT scores were released. October 15th, I believe, was the date.

Those same people had interviews at UF and Miami starting around the same time, and then one for FSU a tad bit later in fall.

Cool. That should give me enough time to convince everyone I'm a true floridian. Look at me! I can't drive!

unfrozencaveman said:
Cool. That should give me enough time to convince everyone I'm a true floridian. Look at me! I can't drive!

no one in florida can drive!!!

i called Miami a few days ago and they told me my application was complete and they have not started to give out interviews yet...

QofQuimica said:

Ah that is a different page. Thanks.

Mine says my file is currently being evaluated. Nothing about a ranked list though.

unfrozencaveman said:

LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Them Miami drivers and Tampa drivers especially...........worst of the lot!!!!! :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats greendot on your USF interview invite!
It was posted on the official interview invite thread.

Kleintje said:
Congrats greendot on your USF interview invite!
It was posted on the official interview invite thread.

Oooh! Congrats!

greendot said:
Thank you both ... and good luck!

Congrats..........Oh and quick question.........Is your inteview on the 24th or 26th???? I ask, because September 24th is a Saturday, and interviews are on a Monday??? Thanks!!!!!! ~guju

My interview is on the 26th, and I believe that all interviews at USF are indeed on mondays.

greendot said:
My interview is on the 26th, and I believe that all interviews at USF are indeed on mondays.

Ok, that makes more sense now.

gujuDoc said:
LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Them Miami drivers and Tampa drivers especially...........worst of the lot!!!!! :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

i dont know about tampa, but miami can be crazy... its gettting worst too with the way the traffic problems grow every year

just wanted to let you know guys that i dont think miami starts interviewing until mid september

Arsenic810 said:
i dont know about tampa, but miami can be crazy... its gettting worst too with the way the traffic problems grow every year

just wanted to let you know guys that i dont think miami starts interviewing until mid september

Truuuuuuuusssssssstttttttt ME!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Tampa is deemed to have some of the worst drivers nationwide. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: Miami is bad because it is a big city like NYC, Boston, Dallas, Houston, LA, Chicago, etc. etc. etc.

However, Tampa is bad because people here don't know how to drive for the life of them. :laugh:

greendot said:

greendot if you don't mind saying, when were you complete?

thanks

Tigerstang said:
greendot if you don't mind saying, when were you complete?

thanks

I received the complete email on 7/29

I have received an interview from USF. Larkin calls you, so it's pretty cool.

Good Luck fellow Floridians!

Congrats on the interviews, and good luck...i hope I get one comin up, I was complete at USF on the 16th...

If I just retook the MCATs, when should I expect to hear from the schools? Will they say they are waiting for my scores? or will they just not say anything until they get the scores?

haha I have noooo idea what I'm doing with all this stuff :rolleyes:

angel03 said:
If I just retook the MCATs, when should I expect to hear from the schools? Will they say they are waiting for my scores? or will they just not say anything until they get the scores?

Looking at your stats, you should be able to get a interview with USF even without your retaken scores. Because they are well above the required and close to what many of those who I knew had last year. But I'd email Mr. Larkin if you want a more precise answer on this question.

angel03 said:

i talked to dr.hinkley about this a couple of months ago. miami will send you a secondary now but they wont make any decisions until your new score comes out in october.

here's exactly what he said regarding applicants who re-took the mcat in august:

If they meet the minimum qualifications (3.2 for FL residents, 3.6 for non-FL and MCAT >=24) we'll send them a secondary but not do anything until we get the August score. If they don't meet the minimum GPA requirements we will not send them a secondary. If the MCAT score is below 24, but their GPA is OK, we will send them a secondary on the assumption that they will increase their score over the minimum mark in August.

Alright, thanks, that helps. I did receive the secondary from Miami so I guess I will have to wait until October comes around to see what is really going to happen with that one. All I need to do for USF is get my LOR's in, so then hopefully I will hear from them after that.

angel03 said:
Alright, thanks, that helps. I did receive the secondary from Miami so I guess I will have to wait until October comes around to see what is really going to happen with that one. All I need to do for USF is get my LOR's in, so then hopefully I will hear from them after that.

Just to let you know, JHU SOM is online and you can go do it anytime you want to. Hope that helps.

not to hijack this thread or anything but what in the world did you guys write for the questions asking about family, work experience, fun & diversions etc? Did you guys address each of the topics listed? I am having a really hard time finishing that sucker! so any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

jj08 said:
not to hijack this thread or anything but what in the world did you guys write for the questions asking about family, work experience, fun & diversions etc? Did you guys address each of the topics listed? I am having a really hard time finishing that sucker! so any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

I think that was my very first secondary. And I have no idea anymore.

How's the hurricane?

I'm in Delray Beach, and the wind is barely blowing. We have power, cable, and internet ... ummmm, yeeaaahh ... anyway, I believe that I did address each part of the question.

greendot said:
I'm in Delray Beach, and the wind is barely blowing. We have power, cable, and internet ... ummmm, yeeaaahh ... anyway, I believe that I did address each part of the question.

I'm in orlando and it is pleasantly breezy (at night anyway). :D

So not to be a pest but did your essay end up being pretty long then? :oops: I find my essay is not flowing very smoothly due to the different topics that I am addressing (fun, education, work experience, etc). Boo on me! :(

jj08 said:
I'm in orlando and it is pleasantly breezy (at night anyway). :D

So not to be a pest but did your essay end up being pretty long then? :oops: I find my essay is not flowing very smoothly due to the different topics that I am addressing (fun, education, work experience, etc). Boo on me! :(

I think I wrote about a page.

jj08 said:

I actually didint really address the topics, I just described myself and my large family/stepfamily. All the topics kinda threw me off because it would have been too hard to address all the different suggestions.

Has anybody gotten a application complete from FSU? I havent heard anything back from them.

DrMike24 said:
I actually didint really address the topics, I just described myself and my large family/stepfamily. All the topics kinda threw me off because it would have been too hard to address all the different suggestions.

Has anybody gotten a application complete from FSU? I havent heard anything back from them.

Nope and they've had all my stuff for about 3 - 4 weeks.

DrMike24 said:

Nothing here either, and I submitted my secondary on 7/24.

jj08 said:

I think that USF is just trying to get a sense of who you are and what your background is like. It's good if you have a common theme, because otherwise your essay won't be very unified (it's like MCAT WS all over again, isn't it??? ;) ) I tried to give them some insight into my family members and myself, including our personalities, our relationships with one another, and how this has influenced our career choices, all of which are health related. My essay was about a page. Hope this helps. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
I think that USF is just trying to get a sense of who you are and what your background is like. It's good if you have a common theme, because otherwise your essay won't be very unified (it's like MCAT WS all over again, isn't it??? ;) ) I tried to give them some insight into my family members and myself, including our personalities, our relationships with one another, and how this has influenced our career choices, all of which are health related. My essay was about a page. Hope this helps. :luck:

Nah MCAT writing sections are easier to BS your way through. ;) :p :D

My former Verbal teacher, once told me he that he went completely off topic by saying in an eloquent way how he thought the WS was stupid, but by still following the format of the WS. He still got a T for it. That made me laugh out loud.

gujuDoc said:
Nah MCAT writing sections are easier to BS your way through. ;) :p :D

My former Verbal teacher, once told me he that he went completely off topic by saying in an eloquent way how he thought the WS was stupid, but by still following the format of the WS. He still got a T for it. That made me laugh out loud.

That's the beauty of the WS section. It's mainly a test to see if you can follow directions. You can interpret the statement to mean whatever you want, as long as you complete the tasks. They don't really care what your opinion is. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.