Florida schools - interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gujuDoc said:
Hey McMD,

You got some wedding pics up yet on facebook??? i want to see them

I do, I do!!! I just posted a bunch tonight...they are from my dad's camera and from mine....the actual photographer's pics aren't up yet, but they look amazing!! :)

Thanks Deuist...I didn't know that! :)

Members don't see this ad.

deuist said:
Congratulations, unfrozen. Your comment about getting pregnant was the 3,000th post to this thread, making it one of the most written to threads in SDN history.
Pshaw, that's not all that impressive. We have to get up to 10k posts before this thread gets retired. Plenty of room to post more. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Question everyone - when I interviewed at Miami, they mentioned that the state of Florida has a law saying that a person cannot gain in-state residency if they are only there for educational purposes (e.g. attending med school)...

does anyone know if this is accurate? Are there any OOSers out there that have gained residency in Florida while attending med school?

unfrozencaveman said:
Getting me pregnant just to get me up to NC? Low! I want you to think about what you've done while river rafting in a river full of venomous water cobez while sporting J Crew chinoz.
I can handle the cobras. It's the chinos I'm afraid of...

inflamesdjk02 said:
Question everyone - when I interviewed at Miami, they mentioned that the state of Florida has a law saying that a person cannot gain in-state residency if they are only there for educational purposes (e.g. attending med school)...

does anyone know if this is accurate? Are there any OOSers out there that have gained residency in Florida while attending med school?
I am in-state, but I have a good friend who is attending UF dental school and has gained FL residency for tuition purposes. She also went to undergrad in FL, so she may have gained residency then, but if not during undergrad, then she gained it her first year of medical school. She has never held employment in FL, and has no relatives in the state, so I know that she gained residency while she was here for educational purposes. I would look into and possibly call the financial aid office...I know that the UF fin.aid office is where she learned about gaining FL residency.

By the way....have you gotten off the WL???

OT - I told my boss I'd stay an extra 8 work days (well 7 b/c Independence Day is a paid holiday)...but I'm going out of my mind! I thought I could keep myself entertained now that I've beaten the web filters...but alas...spending 8hrs a day surfing the net is sooooooooo boring!!!

Suprisingly enough, I have been practicing my spanish....via AIM that is hahaha. I was thinking about watching some of the lectures on the Dept of Med Ed website since Dr H sent us a username and pw. *sigh* 28 more working days, minus some *cough cough* sick days

DON'T START WATCHING LECTURES!!! You'll have plenty of opportunity for learning about the body during the year. I'm STILL in class and won't finish until next Friday. I couldn't imagine doing even more course work.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you inflames!

Runner, I understand what you're talking about with the boredom....I can't take another day of work! I'm off all next week so that I can find an apt in Miami, but I'm not going to want to go back to work after that! By the way, have you found a place to live yet? I've started my search online, but hopefully I'll find a place next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mc - No, I have a few prospects but I'm not going down there until June 10-11 to find a place.

In case anyone is wondering, I found out some more info about the wellness center. They are working on correcting the "virtual tour," and they sent me the link to some of the equipment. Does anyone know of any other good gyms in the area? (and not the meat market type)

For those of you going to Miami, which lender are getting your stafford loan from? What rate did you get or are you expecting to get? Is the amount of money you're going to owe after school getting you down? Assuming an interest rate of 7% if we take out $35,000 for the 4 years of school(which isn't enough!) and don't pay anything back until after 1 year intern and 4 years residency we'll owe like $201,600. That's $60,000 in interest. Is my math wrong? That sucks!

MrBurns10 said:
So is this thread revivable, or should one of us take it out back and kill it?

Given that people are now settling into their individual schools for the fall (e.g., Miami, USF, or FSU), I think that the time has come for us to let this thread die so that last year's applicants can post in their class forums while this year's new applicants are free to create a new Florida interviews thread.

deuist said:
Given that people are now settling into their individual schools for the fall (e.g., Miami, USF, or FSU), I think that the time has come for us to let this thread die so that last year's applicants can post in their class forums while this year's new applicants are free to create a new Florida interviews thread.
Damn. This thread USED to keep me entertained at work.

Just out of curiousity, since the interest rates are increasing by 2% on July 1, can we still get in our stafford loans at the lower rate (if we apply in June)?

RunnerMD said:
Just out of curiousity, since the interest rates are increasing by 2% on July 1, can we still get in our stafford loans at the lower rate (if we apply in June)?
My guess would be "no"....I think they will increase for us.

McMD said:
My guess would be "no"....I think they will increase for us.

Hmmmmmmmm well just think McMD in a few more months you'll get to see the gang in person, and will always have facebook and other means to keep in contact with the non Miami people.

Oh and no more boring job. :D

QofQuimica said:
Well, we could always let the entering 2007 people keep it going. :idea: But it won't be the same with a whole new crowd.

This thread managed to get 3,000 posts: commendable work for the 4 ladies who kept the conversation going. Once we add 2007 people, the thread will no longer be the same, as Q mentioned. Kill the thread and resurrect it in 2 months. It will have new themes and discussions.

gujuDoc said:
Hmmmmmmmm well just think McMD in a few more months you'll get to see the gang in person, and will always have facebook and other means to keep in contact with the non Miami people.

Oh and no more boring job. :D
no more boring job is the best part!! Ok, so I got an apartment in Aventura RIGHT on A1A, I'm a little worried about hurricane season, but it was either this apartment or NO DOG...and that just wasn't happening...in fact, that wasn't an option!!-it would have been this apartment or no school!! Giving away my dog would have been like giving away my soul!! Any ENCOURAGING words about having an apartment on A1A??? Please, no discouraging words, I can't handle that type of anxiety at this time!

inflamesdjk02 said:
I'm Part Of The Group Now!

Woot!!!!

Wooooooohooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Now your first goal must be to join the Red Tide now that Burnsie has left them they need a replacement!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

P.S. Stupid question but are you a guy or gal??

Oh and did Dakota ever decide on Miami or did he decide to go somewhere else??????

ok so i scanned through about 90 pages of this thread...wow we 2007's have a lot to live up to for florida

representin from o-town and g-ville

rajad10 said:
ok so i scanned through about 90 pages of this thread...wow we 2007's have a lot to live up to for florida

representin from o-town and g-ville

Yeah you all need to create a new Florida Interview thread when the time comes and also find a way to make it as entertaining as the Mtown guys and gals did. (M town + Miami)

There is alot of good information in this thread. 2007 does indeed have alot to live up to.

Long live the 2006 thread!

nrddct said:
Does this # look familiar to anyone 727 569 1515? I just missed this call and think its a florida area code and now I'm freaking out. :scared:

Only this time I was available almost to answer it, as soon as I opened my phone it went to 'missed call'... were you ever able to resolve this issue? I have received a phone call from this number about once or twice a week at all hours for a couple of months now. I'm afraid to call the number for obvious reasons, the number is traced to a Port Richey, FL land line, but that's all I could get...

Please email me direct as indicated in my registered name, I surfed the internet trying to find what this number was and stumbled across this posting. I believe the option to send a message is built into this interface. Thanks for your help!

Not a doctor said:
Only this time I was available almost to answer it, as soon as I opened my phone it went to 'missed call'... were you ever able to resolve this issue? I have received a phone call from this number about once or twice a week at all hours for a couple of months now. I'm afraid to call the number for obvious reasons, the number is traced to a Port Richey, FL land line, but that's all I could get...

Please email me direct as indicated in my registered name, I surfed the internet trying to find what this number was and stumbled across this posting. I believe the option to send a message is built into this interface. Thanks for your help!

To whom ever,
I've been getting a call from this number about once a day for about a week. Same thing happens open my phone and the number disconnects. Hope it doesn't go on for months like yours.

I could not figure what this thread is all about. Florida??

I could not figure what this thread is all about. Florida??

Are you kidding? This thread was last year's thread for pre-meds applying to Florida schools. Here's the link for this year's equivalent (which you have laready posted in). You dug up a goodie but an oldie.

I received an application complete email from FSU weeks ago...Make sure that all of the required letters of recommendations have been received and etc. You can check your status thru the link they gave you initially to fill out your secondary...once you put your email address in....you can click on check status etc...or whatever it says...

:)

I am merely waiting on that infamous MCAT score to be revealed :)

Good luck and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.