Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know someone who applied to BU's DrPH program (in MCH I believe) and they had a phone interview so BU is definitely contacting people. Meanwhile I was in touch with someone at Tulane (Community Health) and was told that the doctoral committee will review applications at the end of the month (that is assuming your application passes departmental review).

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all of you with upcoming interviews in the next coming weeks!

Here are some tips that I wish I had when I was interviewing for my PhD several years ago:

-Remain confident: You've gotten this far. The school is trying to impress you with its research portfolio and facilities as much as you're trying to impress them.

-Dress comfortably: You may think that a suit is necessary. Not so. Faculty want to meet YOU. Dress in a way that represents who you are as a person and the way you want to project yourself. The more comfortable you are, the more confident you can be during the interview.

-Do your research: Impress the faculty you'll be interviewing with by knowing their research, current and past. Know what their current interests are and read up a few of their most recent (<5 years old) first and last authored papers. It'll help facilitate your discussion with these individuals

-Talk about your research and your future directions: Talk about what research you've done in the past, talk about what led you to wanting to apply to this current program, talk about why you need this training, and most of all, talk about your future goals. Don't do cliches. Don't talk too about classwork (nobody cares about your classwork), don't talk about miniscule events that happened when you were 10 years old, and don't talk about how science or Einstein/Currie/Pasteur impacted your life.

-Relax: These days should be an informative session for the faculty as well as yourself. You should get to enjoy the company of each other. This interview will not be as hard or as grueling as you think it is. Enjoy it :)

Any other questions? Feel free to ask! And most of all, Good Luck!!! :D

Hi Stories and folks,

Much appreciate if you can advise me how to deal with these two interview questions:
1) Why did you choose to pursue PhD?
Frankly, I much preferred Masters over PhD (I applied to 8 Masters and 1 PhD programs this application cycle) because I want to be a public health practitioner than an academic researcher. The reason I applied to PhD programs is that it offers full scholarships (tuition fee + stipend) and that I do enjoy doing research. The first reason makes sure I can go somewhere for an advanced degree in a major (Public Health) I am passionate about. The second reason assured me that PhD will not horrify me!
What should I say if the adcom asks me this question? In one hand, I want to stay honest and don't want to lie. In the other hand, it is too silly to say "I am not ready to do PhD..." .

2) Which are the other schools/programs you applied for?
Errr, to which extent should we be honest about it? I hope my answer will not be followed by a question like "Is our program/school your top choice?"
Furthermore, if I am honest to say that I applied to 8 MPH and 1 PhD...they will question me immediately.

by the way, thanks Stories for sharing your tips =)

Meanwhile I was in touch with someone at Tulane (Community Health) and was told that the doctoral committee will review applications at the end of the month (that is assuming your application passes departmental review).

I heard the same thing...also apparently they don't do interviews (phone interviews occasionally...but not a requirement). I was told to contact them next week to get an update on my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Stories and folks,

Much appreciate if you can advise me how to deal with these two interview questions:
1) Why did you choose to pursue PhD?
Frankly, I much preferred Masters over PhD (I applied to 8 Masters and 1 PhD programs this application cycle) because I want to be a public health practitioner than an academic researcher. The reason I applied to PhD programs is that it offers full scholarships (tuition fee + stipend) and that I do enjoy doing research. The first reason makes sure I can go somewhere for an advanced degree in a major (Public Health) I am passionate about. The second reason assured me that PhD will not horrify me!
What should I say if the adcom asks me this question? In one hand, I want to stay honest and don't want to lie. In the other hand, it is too silly to say "I am not ready to do PhD..." .

2) Which are the other schools/programs you applied for?
Errr, to which extent should we be honest about it? I hope my answer will not be followed by a question like "Is our program/school your top choice?"
Furthermore, if I am honest to say that I applied to 8 MPH and 1 PhD...they will question me immediately.

by the way, thanks Stories for sharing your tips =)

Oye. First thing, I would ask is if getting a PhD is the right choice for you. You said right off the bat that you're interested in doing public health practice rather than research. The PhD is a training program for academic research. As a PhD student, you won't be doing practice-based internships or committees, but preparing abstracts and posters for presentation at conferences and submission to scientific journals. Also keep in mind the difference in time. MPH is generally 2 years or less. PhD is generally 5 years or more. You have to more than just like research--research becomes your life for 5 years (with very little pay).

PhD isn't something you do just because it won't cost as much up front, there's an opportunity and time cost that you can't ever get back. In the years you're still working on your dissertation, you could have worked for 3+ years with the MPH. Just some food for thought.

You may consider doing the MPH -> DrPH route, instead. This is the more professional route rather than the academic one.

Okay, now onto the questions:

1.) This should focus on the training you need to receive in order to accomplish your career goals. Your career goals should be directed towards research, being a principal investigator, furthering your knowledge and ability to dissect scientific knowledge, and other things of that ilk.

Students who get into public health PhD programs without a MPH or MS are the ones who demonstrate a strong grasp of the research methods utilized in that field. So be sure to do your homework when it comes to gaps in the field of your interest and where you would be interested in doing research.

2.) I don't think they're going to ask this question. I was never asked this formally at any of my interviews, only when I was talking to other interviewees did this topic get talked about.

And honestly, I don't know what I would say if I was asked. I would probably just answer it based on geography or something that deflects the question a bit.

Oye. First thing, I would ask is if getting a PhD is the right choice for you. You said right off the bat that you're interested in doing public health practice rather than research. The PhD is a training program for academic research. As a PhD student, you won't be doing practice-based internships or committees, but preparing abstracts and posters for presentation at conferences and submission to scientific journals. Also keep in mind the difference in time. MPH is generally 2 years or less. PhD is generally 5 years or more. You have to more than just like research--research becomes your life for 5 years (with very little pay).

PhD isn't something you do just because it won't cost as much up front, there's an opportunity and time cost that you can't ever get back. In the years you're still working on your dissertation, you could have worked for 3+ years with the MPH. Just some food for thought.

You may consider doing the MPH -> DrPH route, instead. This is the more professional route rather than the academic one.

Okay, now onto the questions:

1.) This should focus on the training you need to receive in order to accomplish your career goals. Your career goals should be directed towards research, being a principal investigator, furthering your knowledge and ability to dissect scientific knowledge, and other things of that ilk.

Students who get into public health PhD programs without a MPH or MS are the ones who demonstrate a strong grasp of the research methods utilized in that field. So be sure to do your homework when it comes to gaps in the field of your interest and where you would be interested in doing research.

2.) I don't think they're going to ask this question. I was never asked this formally at any of my interviews, only when I was talking to other interviewees did this topic get talked about.

And honestly, I don't know what I would say if I was asked. I would probably just answer it based on geography or something that deflects the question a bit.

Hi Stories,

Thanks a lot for a spoonful of advice and thoughts =). I will surely think about it then and in any cases do my best for the upcoming interviews.

Has anyone heard back from the following schools: BU, GWU, YALE, TULANE, & UIC? :xf:

I am freaking out! This process is so terrifying! I have already gotten rejected from UPITT, DREXEL, IOWA, & OSU.:mad:

Has anyone heard back from the following schools: BU, GWU, YALE, TULANE, & UIC? :xf:

I am freaking out! This process is so terrifying! I have already gotten rejected from UPITT, DREXEL, IOWA, & OSU.:mad:

For UIC, check your app status online. Mine had a 'deny' and I received the official letter via snail mail this week. I contacted Tulane this week- told me they're reviewing apps and I could check in with them again 1st week of Feb (also found out they don't do interviews). Some folks have already been accepted to GW on here and other sites too...

I was wondering if any other applicant to the UNC's MCH program has received any contact from the department regarding interviews or when a candidate would hear back from them?

For UIC, check your app status online. Mine had a 'deny' and I received the official letter via snail mail this week. I contacted Tulane this week- told me they're reviewing apps and I could check in with them again 1st week of Feb (also found out they don't do interviews).

I checked my uic status and it says that it is referred to college for review. Did you apply for PhD or MPH at UIC?

I checked my uic status and it says that it is referred to college for review. Did you apply for PhD or MPH at UIC?

I applied to the PhD program at UIC (already have MPH from GW). That's probably good news then (I think someone else on here posted they were also rejected from UIC)!

I was wondering if any other applicant to the UNC's MCH program has received any contact from the department regarding interviews or when a candidate would hear back from them?

I contacted them and didn't much info back- they're reviewing apps now, but no word on whether they (1) conduct interviews and (2) when applicants would hear back regardless.

I applied to the PhD program at UIC (already have MPH from GW). That's probably good news then (I think someone else on here posted they were also rejected from UIC)!

I am based in Chicago and so it was kind of difficult for me to relocate last year so I applied only to UIC and got a big rejection! I enrolled as a credit non degree and took 12 credit hours at UIC so hopefully this helped! I am really hoping and praying I get accepted there! I love the program there.

When did you find out? Apply/submit through SOPHAS? What does your GRE look like? Mine is pretty low...so I am afraid I might not get in this time either! But still not losing hope.:xf:

UIC's Epi department has not started releasing decisions, though other departments have. In past years, Epi hasn't notified applicants until March and I was told by there program coordinator to expect the same this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am based in Chicago and so it was kind of difficult for me to relocate last year so I applied only to UIC and got a big rejection! I enrolled as a credit non degree and took 12 credit hours at UIC so hopefully this helped! I am really hoping and praying I get accepted there! I love the program there.

When did you find out? Apply/submit through SOPHAS? What does your GRE look like? Mine is pretty low...so I am afraid I might not get in this time either! But still not losing hope.:xf:

I think I had checked online last week...I submitted my SOPHAS apps early, around November. My GRE scores are horrible to be honest, but standardized testing has never been my strong point! UIC wasn't top on my list (either was the location haha), so it's not a huge blow to me. This is my second time applying to PhD programs, so I'm trying to take everything with a grain of salt. Hopefully you'll hear good news from them!

UIC's Epi department has not started releasing decisions, though other departments have. In past years, Epi hasn't notified applicants until March and I was told by there program coordinator to expect the same this year.

Thanks for the information! It really helps!

I got an acceptance from GWU about a week ago.

I submitted my application by the deadline for Tulane, and SOPHAS just mailed it this week. So it could be that they are just getting in the last of their apps. Please let me know when you hear anything from them, they are my frist choice, and waiting is torture.

Yale sent out their interview invitations already.

When I was applying, UIC sent out notification the first week of March.

I contacted them and didn't much info back- they're reviewing apps now, but no word on whether they (1) conduct interviews and (2) when applicants would hear back regardless.

Thanks for the update.

I got an acceptance from GWU about a week ago.

I submitted my application by the deadline for Tulane, and SOPHAS just mailed it this week. So it could be that they are just getting in the last of their apps. Please let me know when you hear anything from them, they are my frist choice, and waiting is torture.

Congrats for gwu! What program? I applied for the DrPH in global health.

Tulane contacted me last week and said my application is in departmental review and for me to contact the
In 5-10 days. Hope this helps!

I'll have a phone interview with JHU epi early next week... I'm nervous already!!

I'm also waiting my result for UNC after the phone call last week, but no words yet... trying really hard to keep myself from sending email to the department :(

I think the Yale interviews were for the microbial disease concentration. I'm not 100% sure but I am hoping that is the case. I applied for chronic disease.

I think the Yale interviews were for the microbial disease concentration. I'm not 100% sure but I am hoping that is the case. I applied for chronic disease.

I hope so too because I applied for chronic disease phd.

Congrats for gwu! What program? I applied for the DrPH in global health.

Tulane contacted me last week and said my application is in departmental review and for me to contact the
In 5-10 days. Hope this helps!
Thanks :) All of the programs that I applied to were Epidemiology.

I also got an invite at Yale today and I applied to the Microbial Disease dept. not the Chronic Disease dpt. for those Chronic Disease people who were curious.

I am applying for a PhD in Epi with a cancer focus.

I see a couple of people writing about UNC and JHU interviews.

Can anyone give more information? Do these schools both interview and when are you guys expecting to hear?

I know the wait is difficult! Good Luck to all applicants!

Reminds me of applying to Pharm School lol

I've been admitted to UNC Epi!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to say.. I'm so happy!

I had an informal phone interview on Jan 16th(probably to check my English), and today I checked website and found out my result. "Decisions about financial support are made through a separate process."
This is the first result I got... just thrilled!!!

I had an informal phone interview on Jan 16th(probably to check my English), and today I checked website and found out my result. "Decisions about financial support are made through a separate process."

congrats!!

Awesome!

I hope so too because I applied for chronic disease phd.

They sent out interviews for all concentrations (or the contacts should be happening soon) as the interview is two weeks away.

I'll have a phone interview with JHU epi early next week... I'm nervous already!!

I'm also waiting my result for UNC after the phone call last week, but no words yet... trying really hard to keep myself from sending email to the department :(

Congrats ZXCV! I'm super jealous. How did JHU let you know about your interview (email, mail, phone)?

Last edited:
They sent out interviews for all concentrations (or the contacts should be happening soon) as the interview is two weeks away.

Yeah. I just called the admissions office and they have the list of possible interview candidates for both concentrations in PhD Epi . I was not on that list but she said that I might be wait listed to be on the next round of interviews. :xf:

Hope this helps!

Epi19-Congrats on your interview!

Zxcv0-Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks, MPHandPsych, Epi19 and JMM051 :)

Congrats ZXCV! I'm super jealous. How did JHU let you know about your interview (email, mail, phone)?

Today morning I received an email from one of the researchers in the concentration I've applied(in Epi dept.), asking for appropriate interview time since I'm an international applicant. She said "Final decisions will be based on a combination of factors (interview, academics, references, and research goals) and will be available in February."

I don't think I have much more to tell you, but if you have any more question I'd be happy to answer :)

Thanks zxv0! That definitely answers my question. Congrats again!

Stories,
~How many years does it take to get a PhD in epidemiology from Yale? Are the classes on Yale's medical campus?
Thanks! Just trying to learn more about the program!

JMM, congrats on your acceptance, that's awesome!!!

Stories,
~How many years does it take to get a PhD in epidemiology from Yale? Are the classes on Yale's medical campus?
I'm also curious about this. Were you in epidemiology of microbial diseases or chronic disease epidemiology? It seems like the EMD has less epi methods courses and more micro and molecular biology courses in the suggested curriculum, than most epi programs, but it also seems like the curriculum can be flexible depending on your research interest.

Hey friends,

Quick update:

Waitlist notification email from Columbia (1/27).

Interview invite from Berzerkeley (1/29) from POI (email).

Very excited! Congrats to all on their acceptances!

:zip:

Hey friends,

Quick update:

Congratz! :) Good luck on your interview!

Congrats to everyone!!!

Does anyone know if most schools interview or contact you before you are accepted?

Good Luck!

Hey friends,

Quick update:

congrats! did you apply to the epi department or environmental health at berkeley?

Does anyone know if most schools interview or contact you before you are accepted?

Depends on the school & program you applied to...I would contact them to find out the application process. Some programs don't require interviews, and some do phone and/or on-campus interviews.

Stories,

I'm also curious about this. Were you in epidemiology of microbial diseases or chronic disease epidemiology? It seems like the EMD has less epi methods courses and more micro and molecular biology courses in the suggested curriculum, than most epi programs, but it also seems like the curriculum can be flexible depending on your research interest.

As with all PhD programs, your time will depending on you. Some do it in 4 years, some will take 7. It really varies. I would say the average is probably ~5 years. And yes, the department/school is on the med campus. Although calling it separate campuses is probably being a bit generous. The "main campus" is really only two blocks north of the "medical campus". :p

The EMD curriculum is more of a vector biology degree than it is an epidemiology degree. It's also setup in a more traditional biology degree, too (lab rotations, wet lab work, fewer/flexible epi/biostats courses) whereas with the CDE degree it's more traditional epidemiology (lab rotations optional, computer work, traditional epidemiology methods courses). And for all epidemiology doctoral students, molecular and genetic methods are highly recommended by all faculty members, as that is the current direction of epidemiology research (as is the focus of my work).

Congrats!!!

How did you get the acceptance?

Which program concentration?

Got an email from the Epi Department. There aren't declared concentrations within Epi, though my advisor does ID stuff.

Got an email from the Epi Department. There aren't declared concentrations within Epi, though my advisor does ID stuff.

Thanks for your answer! I am waiting lol the fun game! When was you app complete?

And for anyone accepted is funding at all mentioned?

Thanks!

I submitted my app December 13, though it took them 2 weeks to match my GRE scores and mark it 'complete'.

All it says about funding is that information is available online and gives a link to info about TAs, RAs, etc.