Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they contact you by phone if you're off the waitlist? Or they just send you an admissions packet? They have my cell number but I'm out of town for a while. I guess I should email them to contact me by email.

Members don't see this ad.

yoyo13 said:
And after going through the program how confident are you that you will get in? Also, when is it good to start re-applying? I am still on the med. school waitlist (and accepted to the med masters) and would like to avoid wasting unnecessary money re-applying if I don't have to. Any advice would be great.
Thanks

anyone that does well in the program AND is involved in the community should feel confident that they'll get into the 4-year program.

You should reapply if your application has improved significantly. Otherwise it would be a waste of time and money. Congrats on your Med Masters acceptance. Consider the Med Master lifestyle: working your ass off, being involved in the community, and making great friends. then get accepted to the 4-yr program and become a TA or do research as a first year student, since you'll have free time. If you TA or tutor, you'll reinforce a lot of the stuff you learn as a M1. So you'd kick a$$ on the boards. I see us as an elite bunch. :)

junos187 said:
Do they contact you by phone if you're off the waitlist? Or they just send you an admissions packet? They have my cell number but I'm out of town for a while. I guess I should email them to contact me by email.

yep, phone + email (last year at least).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any suggestions on apartment buildings close by EVMS. I will have a car but feel like something walking distance would be best, unless you guys think otherwise?

kylahs said:
anyone that does well in the program AND is involved in the community should feel confident that they'll get into the 4-year program.

You should reapply if your application has improved significantly. Otherwise it would be a waste of time and money. Congrats on your Med Masters acceptance. Consider the Med Master lifestyle: working your ass off, being involved in the community, and making great friends. then get accepted to the 4-yr program and become a TA or do research as a first year student, since you'll have free time. If you TA or tutor, you'll reinforce a lot of the stuff you learn as a M1. So you'd kick a$$ on the boards. I see us as an elite bunch. :)

Would you mind sharing some of the community programs you've taken part in. Also, what were your stats when you entered the program?

Great news. This year boasted one of the most successful med master classes ever. 17 out of 18 med masters students will now be in the medical program!!!! THAT'S A 95% SUCCESS RATE!!! Congrats to all my fellow medical masters peeps!!!! All the people that worked hard made it!

Tooth

HopeFaith said:
Would you mind sharing some of the community programs you've taken part in. Also, what were your stats when you entered the program?

I've helped a little with Haunted Hallway, NEST, TarWars, etc... but the thing I'm most focused on is a mentorship program with an elementary school in the local area. We're in the process of having EVMS 'adopt' the whole elem. school --- and we're also hosting events like cookouts and movies.
My stats: 34 MCAT and 3.3 GPA.

People got into the 4-year program with lower stats (you do -not- need a 34 MCAT).

TiggidyTooth said:
Great news. This year boasted one of the most successful med master classes ever. 17 out of 18 med masters students will now be in the medical program!!!! THAT'S A 95% SUCCESS RATE!!! Congrats to all my fellow medical masters peeps!!!! All the people that worked hard made it!

Tooth

HELL YEAH. :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW: In case you guys don't know, Tooth is THE man.

That's incredible! I was already doubtless about attending EVMS and now I'm more than sure that it's the best around.
Tooth, I'm assuming that you're one of the 18 who got in so congratulations! I thought they don't take people off the list till June but that sounds really encouraging.
I'm crossing my fingers, next week we should start finding out if we get in the program!

congrats to all you guys that got in...you deserve it

So Tooth, can you explain the process of getting in after interviewing in March? I thought it was a waitlist thing where y'all find out later in the summer. Also, do you know the average med master GPA's of the incoming students, as in what is the kind of GPA you have to make in the master's program to get into the med school.

chaeymaey said:
So Tooth, can you explain the process of getting in after interviewing in March? I thought it was a waitlist thing where y'all find out later in the summer. Also, do you know the average med master GPA's of the incoming students, as in what is the kind of GPA you have to make in the master's program to get into the med school.

Recently the adcom's changed the system and everyone finds out at the same time the day after graduation. Average was probably around a 3.2 or something. Some people pulled straight A's and others got C's. But you do need to pass every class.

TiggidyTooth said:

Tooth

What was the deal with the one person that didn't get in?...So I'll know what not to do.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are my hero! CONGRATS!!

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to live next year in Norfolk? I was there rescently and say a new building being built on Colley a lil while past Olney, any idea if that building is condo's for sale or apartments for rent? Any insight would be fantastic, thanks for the help.

yoyo13 said:
What was the deal with the one person that didn't get in?...So I'll know what not to do.
Thanks

Just work hard. Don't kiss a** cause you will just annoy your fellow classmates and believe me, it will not help a single bit. All that matters is that you work hard and get good grades. If you beat the medical class average on almost every exam you are in good shape.

Tooth

reversescorpion said:
Just work hard. Don't kiss a** cause you will just annoy your fellow classmates and believe me, it will not help a single bit. All that matters is that you work hard and get good grades. If you beat the medical class average on almost every exam you are in good shape.

Tooth

Don't forget about community service! :) Both reversescorpion and Tooth are active participants in the mentorship program, among other projects.

Dooooom said:
Do you guys have any suggestions on where to live next year in Norfolk? I was there rescently and say a new building being built on Colley a lil while past Olney, any idea if that building is condo's for sale or apartments for rent? Any insight would be fantastic, thanks for the help.

I live with my brother so I haven't really been doing any apt shopping but i hear that sinapse (sinapse.evms.edu) is a good place to start.

You know, i think we're doing the people at the bottom of the waitlist a disservice -- by hyping this program up (it's all truth though) the waitlist is going to move slower than it would normally.

At least we'll still have the movement attributed to people being offered an acceptance to an MD program, who would thence withdraw their SMP application or decline an SMP acceptance offer.

Kylahs...why do you think the waitlist will hav less movement than normal....also how many people would you guess will be accepted from the waitlist

Congratulations kylahs and TiggidyTooth! Kylahs and I know each other (I will be an M2), but Tooth, although I'm sure we must have met at some point, I can't put a name to your face (at least your avatar). But I did hear about nearly all of you Med Masters getting in just the other day. I am so happy for you guys b/c you all worked very hard all year. Enjoy your much deserved summer break.

Congrats again, M1s!

sgod34 said:
Kylahs...why do you think the waitlist will hav less movement than normal....also how many people would you guess will be accepted from the waitlist

The list moves because of at least two things: people holding an acceptance (or otherwise an application) to the SMP finally get into a 4-year MD program, or if these people do not get into an MD program, they may decide to attend another SMP. By us letting the world know that the EVMS SMP is indeed one of the best (if not the best) SMP, the latter would be affected, thus slowing down the waitlist movement.
There's nothing really you can do about it though. In the end, it might even things out, because of good ol' competition. Other SMPs may improve their program because of this phenomenon, because of the fact that their top applicants are choosing EVMS over their own program.

what up Fusion! so i guess u've heard the great news. =) U've definitely met Tooth -- he was the kingpin of the Med Masters. Still unsure? He's the one who is seriously involved with one of the hottest ladies in the school! :)

kylahs said:
The list moves because of at least two things: people holding an acceptance (or otherwise an application) to the SMP finally get into a 4-year MD program, or if these people do not get into an MD program, they may decide to attend another SMP. By us letting the world know that the EVMS SMP is indeed one of the best (if not the best) SMP, the latter would be affected, thus slowing down the waitlist movement.
There's nothing really you can do about it though. In the end, it might even things out, because of good ol' competition. Other SMPs may improve their program because of this phenomenon, because of the fact that their top applicants are choosing EVMS over their own program.

what up Fusion! so i guess u've heard the great news. =) U've definitely met Tooth -- he was the kingpin of the Med Masters. Still unsure? He's the one who is seriously involved with one of the hottest ladies in the school! :)

lol...i may be the largest med master (and baldest) but certainly not the kingpin. The lady will be very glad you said such nice things. Who could this fusion fellow be?

Med Masters Rule (at ping pong)

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
lol...i may be the largest med master (and baldest) but certainly not the kingpin. The lady will be very glad you said such nice things. Who could this fusion fellow be?

Med Masters Rule (at ping pong)

Tooth

Aww shucks, kylas;) have a great summer!!!

and tooth- you are not bald. you have hair in all the right places.

once more, congrats to all in our group and see you on Aug 14.

has anyone called evms recently? any news?

Nope. I spoke to Toni Dorn late last week and she said that there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist yet. :thumbdown:

I went up to Norfolk this weekend just to get a general idea about apts for rent and what-not. If anybody knows of a place within a reasonable drive to campus that would accept both me and my dog (who is over 20 lbs) pleeeeeaaase PM me.

Congrats to all the Med Masters who got accepted

Everyone who’s been accepted to the med master program, how many med schools are you applying/reapplying to for next year?

I just got an odd phone call from someone at evms asking if I was still planning on attending the program. That was the extend of the conversation. I'm real confused why they would call. Any one else get this phone call?

Its Probably To Eliminate People From The Waitlist So No Time Is Waisted On Accepting People That Wont Go

i got the phone call also..... expect movement on the waitlist soon then.

I got that call too.... wierd but def to try to get waitlist movement

I thought it might be for putting together fin. aid packages

give me some movement!!! hopefully people that have acceptances abd aren't planning on ging to evms are being fair and telling evms that they are withdrawing them

okay...here is a question for those of you who have gone through the program...i am currently still waitlisted at 2 med schools but have been accepted to the med masters program. what i am wondering is...how did you go about showing your acceptance to the med masters program on your amcas application? obviously, i need to apply as early as possible for next year, but not having started the program yet i dont have any transcripts, grades, etc. so how did ya'll make it clear you were accepted to the program on amcas? thanks for the help.

I would put it in the colleges attended section and perhaps put the 1st semester workload as planned courses. I would also mention the program in the essay and why I'm attending.

As far as I know, EVMS will send a letter that you're attending the program to all med schools you applied to so they can hold on to your application untill they see your progress.

I hope that information will help!!!

bikedoc1021 said:
okay...here is a question for those of you who have gone through the program...i am currently still waitlisted at 2 med schools but have been accepted to the med masters program. what i am wondering is...how did you go about showing your acceptance to the med masters program on your amcas application? obviously, i need to apply as early as possible for next year, but not having started the program yet i dont have any transcripts, grades, etc. so how did ya'll make it clear you were accepted to the program on amcas? thanks for the help.

Dr. Meyer will write a letter of recommendation for each one of the med masters students. We sent the letter to all the schools we applied to. The letter will reflect grades, character, community service, etc.

Tooth

tooth, is it normal to have to movement on the waitlist yet? do you think this means not many people will get in off the waitlist? thanks

sgod34 said:
tooth, is it normal to have to movement on the waitlist yet? do you think this means not many people will get in off the waitlist? thanks

last year i didnt get in until mid july so relax until then. Good Luck!

Tooth

for those in the program, when are you going to submit your AMCAS?

yoyo13 said:
for those in the program, when are you going to submit your AMCAS?

I JUST started my AMCAS for 2007. I was wondering what we put in for the course work section for EVMS. Do we put in the courses we WILL BE taking this next year or what??

PackLax said:
I JUST started my AMCAS for 2007. I was wondering what we put in for the course work section for EVMS. Do we put in the courses we WILL BE taking this next year or what??

sure (click on the box that says future/current course)

kylahs said:
sure (click on the box that says future/current course)

Does anyone know what classes they are putting on their AMCAS for EVMS? Dr. Meyer had mentioned they are replacing embroyology with epidemology and biostatics, but im not a 100% sure.

Med Masters Student Looking for others in the program who want to try and get a place close to EVMS.

I've been looking on sinapse.evms.edu and most of the postings close to EVMS are for 2-3 bedrooms

it sounds like a few people who got accepted to the SMP at evms have either gotten into EVMS's med school or going elsewhere...i read that bikedoc got pulled off a waitlist into a medschool, chaeymaey withdrew the acceptance to evms...

i just feel like there should be movement, but i'm not getting that type of feedback from evms..i call every friday to check and its always 'completely full, no movement'. i know i should be patient, but i guess im just frustrated. anyone else frustrated?

im really frustrated also, i know at least 3 people that withdrew there acceptances...and i hate calling because i feel like they get annoyed....i guess patience is key

sgod34 said:
im really frustrated also, i know at least 3 people that withdrew there acceptances...and i hate calling because i feel like they get annoyed....i guess patience is key

those same peeps i mentioned or different ones?

I hope my spot goes to one of y'all. As much as I like the acceptance rate, I don't think the EVMS would be the right school for me, but I know that there are people on the waitlist who really want to go there. Good luck.