Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,
I talked to Tony Dorn today and she told me there are 35 students on the waitlist. She told me they take in students off the list on a rolling basis, so I'm assuming that if you're on the upper 1/3 then that's good news. Just a quick question, does that mean that you're application is pretty much "sealed"? Meaning there's no way to move up on the list?

Thanks and good luck on your applications

Members don't see this ad.

Besides knowing that it's spelled "your application" not you're application? :)

Thanks Tooth. I'm planning to come out to Norfolk a week early to find housing. How was your interview? I hope everything is going well for you.
For those currently in the SMP program, I'm planning to retake the MCAT in August. Is this advised? I know that most schools won't look at your file until December when the SMP first semester grades came out anyway, so taking the August MCAT can't really hurt you right? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
confuse said:
Thanks Tooth. I'm planning to come out to Norfolk a week early to find housing. How was your interview? I hope everything is going well for you.
For those currently in the SMP program, I'm planning to retake the MCAT in August. Is this advised? I know that most schools won't look at your file until December when the SMP first semester grades came out anyway, so taking the August MCAT can't really hurt you right? Thanks.

As far as I know, only one med master took the August MCAT. Although it's extremely early in the semester, classes start picking up relatively quickly and between the stress of the MCAT and upcoming exams, juggling everything might be a little tough. However, it's definitely do-able, and if you feel you need to retake the big test, do it.

P.S. If all goes to plan, I'll be moving out of my current digs (really really nice and really really cheap) in July to look for other places to live. You might be interested...

P.S. If all goes to plan, I'll be moving out of my current digs (really really nice and really really cheap) in July to look for other places to live. You might be interested...
I will be attending EVMS in the fall as a med masters student, and I will be needing a place to live.... details about this really really nice dirt cheap place???????

Does anyone know if EVMS rejected anyone or just put everyone on the waiting list? I applied in Feb and am still on the waiting list now-- not sure how long I will have to wait to find out and make alternative plans. According to the previous posts, around 35 students are on the list, that seems to me to be an awful lot if the incoming class is only around 15...hope still? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

hey folks! has anyone who get accepted to the program received any additional information such as financial aid, housing, classes, etc.? just wondering what i should be on the lookout for.

I haven't received any info. Just that apartment book that came with the acceptance letter.

I thought the class size is 20

Out of ~ 200 applicants (from what I've heard), 35 on the waitlist is not that bad so I'm guessing that there have been some rejections

KrnFord920 said:
hmm... just got waitlisted... Dr. Meyer says I'm somewhere in the middle.

hopin for the best... news from anyone else?

I got waitlisted too, but I still have an interview with Drexel so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

how long it took you to hear from drexel after your application was complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
junos187 said:

i actually just called in today to check on my application, and they told me that they wanted to interview me. so if i hadnt called, i dont know when they would have told me. give them a call is what i'd say.

ps: my application was in review about 2 weeks ago, and my phone interview is this friday.

It was my understanding that there were (on average) even more than 200 applicants. But this year, since Rosalind Franklin stopped their "unspoken guarantee" admission to their medical school if you got in to their medical masters program, there has been an even higher volume of applicants to the other programs, making this a potentially larger applicant pool. I would say that some people have definitely been rejected, but would you go around posting about it if you had been? I know I wouldn't.
Additionally, I have not received anything other than the apartment guide that came with the acceptance packet.

Do you guys know if they take people off the waitlist in order? Or if you send out additional credentials (say awards, excellent semester grades, more letters of recommendations) that they will move you up on the list? I heard it's true for some medical school waiting lists.

I just called to find out the status of my application..looks like i'm waitlisted. i was trying to pry and find out where i am on the waitlist but they said something about reviewing it further to determine my position on the waitlist. oh well, now i gotta hope for the best w/ drexel and RFU. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

junos187 said:

About a week after it was completed... well completed as in my spacey proof resent another rec letter (everything else was in for over 2 weeks). Which program did you apply to?

I applied to the IMS program. I'm assuming my application will be complete by Monday, everything was sent out on Monday.

FINALLY got a hold of Dr. Meyer yall, he said theres about 35-40 people on the waitlist, just like you guys posted earlier. If you call him you can find out which 1/3 you are in (upper, middle, lower). Good luck to everyone..lets hope for the best!

hey guys. anyone who has been accepted into the SMP program have you received any information about financial aid? i was looking on the website and i think of missed some deadlines but i havent heard anything from the school. considering i just got accepted how could i have been expected to meet some of the deadlines? anyways, let me know if yall have any info. thanks.

bikedoc1021 said:
hey guys. anyone who has been accepted into the SMP program have you received any information about financial aid?
I got some stuff with the application packet, and then a letter saying that I needed to send some more stuff in. If you go on the website and find the financial aid section the will be more than happy to help you out (it is to get money after all.) I have had relatively good success through email with them too, you might want to try that. The person I was talking to was Linda Wilde and her email is [email protected]. Hope this helps.

Ok so I called EVMS today to find out how long we'll be waiting on the waitlist; I was told that they're making decisions right now and that they should start mailing out decisions next week.

Good luck to all

hey junos, you mean there are spots available and people will be taken off the waitlist? if so i'll be praying for a fedex package...lol

good luck yallz

i'm in the program this year and found out in july that i was accepted. i was upper lower half (whatever that means) until they got my new mcats...the day they got the new scores was the day i was accepted.

expect lots of movement on the waitlist and if you took the mcat a few weeks ago, tell them your new scores whenever you get them.

a few people were accepted even after i was so people may be waiting up until a month before the program starts before they find out.

reversescorpion said:
i'm in the program this year and found out in july that i was accepted. i was upper lower half (whatever that means) until they got my new mcats...the day they got the new scores was the day i was accepted.

expect lots of movement on the waitlist and if you took the mcat a few weeks ago, tell them your new scores whenever you get them.

a few people were accepted even after i was so people may be waiting up until a month before the program starts before they find out.

dr meyer said i was in the upper 1/3...so i'm hoping theres alot of movement. i'm just wondering if the movement will be less because of the sheer amount of applicants..but he told me 'your status is not a bad place to be'...
crossing my fingers out here in cali...good luck everyone

For those of you who have been accepted and are on other med. school waitlists (EVMS or others like your state school) when do you start re-filling out the AMCAS? I want to get it done in time to finish secondary’s before classes start but I would also like to avoid wasting the money if I get in off a waitlist and don't have to reapply.

anybody on the waitlist at evms hear anything or call in for some info? are there people accepted but planning to go elsewhere?

I'm waitlisted also, but am going to be going into another program so I guess that helps some of the others on the waitlist, but I'm not sure how to go about getting myself removed completely from their consideration.

I talked to an admissions advisor and she told me that this week we should start finding out. However, she's not part of EVMS ADCOM so she could be wrong. Anyone talked to Dr. Meyer's or Toni Dorn lately?

reversescorpion said:
i'm in the program this year and found out in july that i was accepted.
Can you expect the same late notification for acceptance in to the medical school once you complete the medical masters?

Still lookin for a place to live too... anybody got good ideas?

As long as I find an apartment that lets me walk to lecture in my PJs I'm happy. Howz the weather down there anyways?

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet?

Also, anybody who is or plans on living very close to campus need a roommate?

junos187 said:
As long as I find an apartment that lets me walk to lecture in my PJs I'm happy. Howz the weather down there anyways?

hey junos, hear anything from evms this week? i called nicole on monday and she said theres been no movement on the waitlist so far...toni is coming back tommorow so lets see what happens.

PackLax said:
Can you expect the same late notification for acceptance in to the medical school once you complete the medical masters?

depends on how you do in the program. as far as i know, people from the masters program don't hear until after graduation and acceptances are given in waves. (some people may find out a week after graduation, whereas others may have to wait a while longer).

dr meyer told me last week i was in the upper 1/3 of the waitlist..and i dont want to get ahead of myself but since there are 40 people on the list, that means i'm 13 at the worst...does that pretty much mean i'm in and its just a matter of time? the reason i'm thinking that is because last year they went pretty deep in the list and it seems like they do every year. i dont want to start planning stuff out there and have it not work out...waiting sucks! any input/comments/suggestions???

Check this website out for EVMS classifieds

http://sinapse.evms.edu/

The seems like pocket change compared to Cali.

Palm, I talked to Tony Dorn yesterday and she told me that chances look very good at the upper 1/3 of the waitlist. Try callin her she'll give you a more specific idea about ur spot (upper, mid, or lower) part of the upper 1/3. The will send out acceptances in beginning of june or late may.

at that time did she say about how many acceptances they should make?

just got shot down...dr meyer told me i was in the upper 1/3 of the waitlist, and i called toni to see where i was in the upper 1/3, and she informed me that i was in the bottom 1/3. then called dr meyer to see what was up, he said he just looked at my mcat and assumed i was up there...looks like theyre really strict on the 2.75 cut-off...mine is a 2.7 which put me low on the list. looks like i gotta hope for drexel/rfu..doh!

how do you guys get a hold of dr meyer and toni...whenever i call they tell me they are too busy....dr meyer doesn't even return my emails but the only way i talked to tone was through email and she told me i was in the upper third....any advice would be great

Okay, so is upper 1/3 the first third or last third? And is the 2.75 GPA for science or overall?

junos187 said:
Okay, so is upper 1/3 the first third or last third? And is the 2.75 GPA for science or overall?

yea, upper 1/3 is the first third...the 1/3 you wanna be in. i called in today to clarify a few things..turns out the gpa they look at is the overall gpa from the institution you graduated from..which makes mine significantly lower...around a 2.5 overall. i took a bunch of community college courses over the years to get rid of some requirements (which brought it up to a 2.7) but 'they dont do that' is the exact phrase they used..hahaha

considering the fact that i'm way below the gpa criteria, i'll take any part of the waitlist. they told me today 40 people are on the waitlist, so its better than a rejection...plus the fact that last year they went deep to like #40 is a good sign...if i get called like a week before the program starts i'll still go. now i just gotta focus on drexel/rfu in case it doesnt work out.

sgod, try calling in the morning...keep in mind its east coast time, theyre usually free in the mornings, so try calling in from 9-11am east coast time...

palmtree said:
yea, upper 1/3 is the first third...the 1/3 you wanna be in. i called in today to clarify a few things..turns out the gpa they look at is the overall gpa from the institution you graduated from..which makes mine significantly lower...around a 2.5 overall. i took a bunch of community college courses over the years to get rid of some requirements (which brought it up to a 2.7) but 'they dont do that' is the exact phrase they used..hahaha

considering the fact that i'm way below the gpa criteria, i'll take any part of the waitlist. they told me today 40 people are on the waitlist, so its better than a rejection...plus the fact that last year they went deep to like #40 is a good sign...if i get called like a week before the program starts i'll still go. now i just gotta focus on drexel/rfu in case it doesnt work out.

sgod, try calling in the morning...keep in mind its east coast time, theyre usually free in the mornings, so try calling in from 9-11am east coast time...

I feel your pain. I'm on the waiting list as well, and I'm not in the upper 1/3 either. I've got an acceptance to another 1-year SMP program at a really good school, so it's not like I'm sweating bullets or anything over EVMS, but it would be sweet to go there knowing that if you kick butt in the program than you are pretty much a shoe-in for their med school the next year (NO GLIDE YEAR!!!!!!!) That no-glide year and ~75% acceptance rate to the medical school cannot be beat, not even by Georgetown SMP.

rob14599 said:
I feel your pain. I'm on the waiting list as well, and I'm not in the upper 1/3 either. I've got an acceptance to another 1-year SMP program at a really good school, so it's not like I'm sweating bullets or anything over EVMS, but it would be sweet to go there knowing that if you kick butt in the program than you are pretty much a shoe-in for their med school the next year (NO GLIDE YEAR!!!!!!!) That no-glide year and ~75% acceptance rate to the medical school cannot be beat, not even by Georgetown SMP.

if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats like? the impression i got from dr meyers and company was that its a pure numbers thing. they seem to be ignoring the fact that i'm an MCAT instructor for the princeton review, published author, EMT, 33 MCAT, etc... nothing seems to be making up even the slightest bit for my low gpa. arg.

palmtree said:
if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats like? the impression i got from dr meyers and company was that its a pure numbers thing. they seem to be ignoring the fact that i'm an MCAT instructor for the princeton review, published author, EMT, 33 MCAT, etc... nothing seems to be making up even the slightest bit for my low gpa. arg.

Nothing spectacular, 3.35 GPA and 29Q MCAT.

does anyone think writing a letter of intent to dr. meyer will help or would it be pointless for an smp?

Im a current biomedical student there (actually, graduation is tomorrow) and FYI: I was #13 out of about 40 people on the waitlist last year. I wasn't offered an acceptance until June 23.
Make sure your contact info w/ them is current. And make sure you check your messages often -- i say this because they required (last year) that you respond to their acceptance offer before 4:00 of that day or else the offer would be withdrawn.

palmtree said:
does anyone think writing a letter of intent to dr. meyer will help or would it be pointless for an smp?

it wouldn't hurt.

kylahs said:
Im a current biomedical student there (actually, graduation is tomorrow) and FYI: I was #13 out of about 40 people on the waitlist last year. I wasn't offered an acceptance until June 23.
Make sure your contact info w/ them is current. And make sure you check your messages often -- i say this because they required (last year) that you respond to their acceptance offer before 4:00 of that day or else the offer would be withdrawn.

And after going through the program how confident are you that you will get in? Also, when is it good to start re-applying? I am still on the med. school waitlist (and accepted to the med masters) and would like to avoid wasting unnecessary money re-applying if I don't have to. Any advice would be great.
Thanks