End of Grade Replacement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't count on this happening again, and I think @Goro would agree, as there are too many proud people at the top.

To the person you had originally replied to, although I am not a DO student, be proud of your degree. If you are betting on a switch, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you don't want a DO degree, life is very simple: don't go to DO school. The last thing any profession needs is more people who have the delusion that they don't sit at the cool kids table and live the rest of their lives as self-hating individuals. No one is forcing your hand.

I am very proud of the field I am going into don't misunderstand me. I was posting a hypothetical question to a posting someone else had made not suggesting that DO degrees become MD degrees. Seeing as I'm turning down my MD II today trust me I'm proud to be pursuing Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So I was only doing to repeat two classes which I had a C in both. If I get As and they get averaged to Bs, it really doesn't hurt me that much so I guess I'm okay, luckily. I feel awful for someone who had to take multiple Fs or Ds over due to unforeseen circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck to everyone out there who is impacted by such despicable timing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've started emailing schools to find out if they will be continuing to do grade replacement, or if they will be abiding by the AACOMAS new policy. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Reactions: 9 users
Got the email from AACOMAS. Instantly navigated to sdn to find the aacompocalypse in pre-osteoporosis forum. Pooped myself when seeing the 700 reply thread.

Y'all are gonna make it.

Pre-osteoporosis was an autocorrect of pre-osteo so I left it in.

Reactions: 16 users
Came here to say that I feel for everyone that have been working for the last few years trying to do the right thing having only their dream pushing them forward. I hope that this change won't negatively impact y'all and I will get to call you guys/gals colleagues one day

Reactions: 2 users
I think they should have phased it in by making the policy known a few cycles ahead of time for the people waist deep in a grade replacement strategy. This sounds a little cruel in my opinion.

At least some schools may choose to still calculate your gpa their own way for a while

Alas good things don't last long

40b2261b2d0dec20b8f8d70deff5b37472976b0f26cbf0cc466a2e17503a19cf_large.jpeg
It depends on what kind of competitiveness you're looking at. If you look at GPA, MD schools are more competitive. If you look at overall acceptance rate (total matriculants vs total applicants), it's easier to get into MD school than dental school. The average MD applicant has about a 43% chance of getting into at least one school out of those they apply to while the average dental applicant has about a 41% chance. That's going off the 2013 MD application numbers and 2010 dental numbers which, at the time I made the comparison, were the closest two years of data I could find–I don't think I was able to find more recent than 2010 for dental or farther back than 2013 for MD, though those stats may be available somewhere now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Where's that petition at?

Most COMs also lack teaching hospitals and have to send their students all over their state or even the country for rotations. I think only Rosy F lacks a teaching hospital.

COCA/LCME merger would be my dream. Not gonna happen in my lifetime, though.

I've been feeling that this is the step. I mean they want to have "apples to apples". I expect the established MSUCOM, KCUMB, PCOM, AZCOM and the rest of the established DO schools to pivot into this transitional phase. What separates a lot these schools from some of your MD state schools, your Rosalind Franklin, Loyola Stritch, TCMC, Albany, Western Michigan and so on? Partly it is circumstance. The overlap is there. What definitively separated these schools however was the way in which grades are calculated(i.e grade replacement) and OMM.

Now only one defining aspect separates a lot of these schools--OMM. If there is a transition/policy change where OMM becomes an optional track--like how many MD/DO schools have a special military track, rural track, primary care--why can't DO schools begin offering a OMM track? I think this merger and policy change is just the beginning.

@Goro assuming the GPA do take a dip and then fluctuate back after a few years-- do you think an LCME/COCA merger is possible? Or is the school-funded research/clinical 3rd/4th year access issue too big a hurdle to address?

There was a lot of ruthless politics behind this story. It is highly unlikely ever to play that way again. For starters, the virulent hatred of Osteopathy by the MDs at the time has gone away (except maybe in some elderly doctors and ignorant pre-meds).

It wouldn't be the first time this happened. Norman Gevitz brought this up in his book the DOs--- UC Irvine Medical School was a DO school originally-- it eventually became an MD school and those who had received a DO from the institution payed a small fee to get a new diploma to reflect the school's MD status. I'm friends with an old PM&R doc who was one of the last few to graduate from UCI med with a DO and he just payed the fee and exchanged his diploma for the new one. It's not far-fetched.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::claps::claps::woot::woot::woot::woot::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:
Got the email from AACOMAS. Instantly navigated to sdn to find the aacompocalypse in pre-osteoporosis forum. Pooped myself when seeing the 700 reply thread.

Y'all are gonna make it.

Pre-osteoporosis was an autocorrect of pre-osteo so I left it in.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm holding onto hope that the average DO matriculant has an unrealistically elevated GPA due to grade replacement. With this going away, my bet is applicant gpa's at DO schools will drop. At that point, my HOPE is the established GPA screens will reflect that drop, and then the burden will lie with the schools to do a more thorough holistic review of the applicants, so GPA Won't eliminate a quality applicant.

Exactly, I know some gpa's can be a whole quarter point higher from replacement. The point being that their knowledge of these subjects is the same regardless of the number given to represent them changing to be lower. Unfortunately this coming cycle we will be somewhat blind because the D.O schools won't have any non-replacement GPA stats posted yet. I wonder if the stats really will drop, or they'll become more attractive to otherwise allopathic only students. I'm a little disappointed in this, but I understand it's necessary due to the residency merger and to defeat the D.O stigma long term. This will help equalize the schools, IF it becomes clear that the two tiers of applicants are still distinct then yes I agree that a lower GPA should not be a death sentence.

It means for AACOMAS purposes, any repeated courses will be averaged with the previous grade. Forever.

To clarify, AACOMAS doesn't count if you have already graduated or not, correct? So taking classes as a personal interest/non-degree seeking student after you have graduated will still be factored into your uGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly, I know some gpa's can be a whole quarter point higher from replacement. The point being that their knowledge of these subjects is the same regardless of the number given to represent them changing to be lower. Unfortunately this coming cycle we will be somewhat blind because the D.O schools won't have any non-replacement GPA stats posted yet. I wonder if the stats really will drop, or they'll become more attractive to otherwise allopathic only students. I'm a little disappointed in this, but I understand it's necessary due to the residency merger and to defeat the D.O stigma long term. This will help equalize the schools, IF it becomes clear that the two tiers of applicants are still distinct then yes I agree that a lower GPA should not be a death sentence.

This may not be your point but I seriously hope the majority of DO schools have average GPAs that are at least 3.5 overall. This desire for average GPAs to be lower so students with bad GPAs to get in is frankly scary. Those people getting in with a 3.3 and a strong upward trend should be the exception not the norm.

I just got off the phone with AACOMAS and they will not confirm or deny it. I guess it's a better bet to assume they won't be doing grade replacement anymore. They kept saying wait until the new cycle opens to confirm, but one would think they would tell us something earlier then 2 weeks before it takes effect on us.
I got an email from the AACOMAS application service itself since I have an account. I got the email at 10am this morning, it is definitely confirmed that there is no more grade replacement.

This may not be your point but I seriously hope the majority of DO schools have average GPAs that are at least 3.5 overall. This desire for average GPAs to be lower so students with bad GPAs to get in is frankly scary. Those people getting in with a 3.3 and a strong upward trend should be the exception not the norm.
Right, which is why we'll have to wait and see if the 3.5's they've been getting in the past are all from grade replacement, or if most of them aren't. It would be kinda of scary to see a COM's average matriculate drop to something like 3.3 or 3.2. Maybe the more competitive D.O applicant will be more aggressively pursued, who knows. It's certainly an advantage to have done well the first time you take a course. I'm personally very fortunate to not be in the sub 3.5 bucket, but my gpa would still be better with replacement.

Right, which is why we'll have to wait and see if the 3.5's they've been getting in the past are all from grade replacement, or if most of them aren't. It would be kinda of scary to see a COM's average matriculate drop to something like 3.3 or 3.2. Maybe the more competitive D.O applicant will be more aggressively pursued, who knows. It's certainly an advantage to have done well the first time you take a course. I'm personally very fortunate to not be in the sub 3.5 bucket, but my gpa would still be better with replacement.

Agreed. If more than a few COMs average GPA dipped to that threshold I would have to think it would be extremely worrisome to the profession as a whole.

Why? They're too dumb to be doctors? Honestly it just comes down to hard work and experiences that allow you to relate to your patients. If someone takes a scenic route to medicine that is absolutely fine. They bring additional things to the table. Medicine is about the people and crazy 4.0 GPA+ 520+ MCAT automatons are a dime a dozen. DO schools seem to be cognizant of that fact and it's part of their "brand". But since DO/MD are virtually indistinguishable in practice these days, I guess this was to be expected.

Agreed. If more than a few COMs average GPA dipped to that threshold I would have to think it would be extremely worrisome to the profession as a whole.

Overall I think it will be a very slight drop, nowhere to the degree that some people have put down, I think the ranges would still stay about the same. If anything I could see the number of applicants dropping based off the fact they are no longer competitive or as competitive to apply because of the end of grade replacement.

Why? They're too dumb to be doctors? Honestly it just comes down to hard work and experiences that allow you to relate to your patients. If someone takes a scenic route to medicine that is absolutely fine. They bring additional things to the table. Medicine is about the people and crazy 4.0 GPA+ 520+ MCAT automatons are a dime a dozen. DO schools seem to be cognizant of that fact and it's part of their "brand". But since DO/MD are virtually indistinguishable in practice these days, I guess this was to be expected.

An average of a 3.3 means that there are people getting into that school with far less than a 3.3. Im sorry, but not everyone was meant to be a physician. If you want to chase that dream I commend that, but a certain set of standards has to be put in place to maintain the integrity of the profession. Not saying those below that threshold are somehow stupid, but lowering the bar to find the outliers is not a good practice.

There's an insane amount of amateur speculation in this thread. The fact is we will have to wait and see. All these schools have to report their numbers to COCA so we can see how the trends change from '17 to '18 in terms of sGPA/uGPA/MCAT of applicants and matriculates, so until that report comes out we are all talking out of asses. That being said, if this decision was made this year, they should have given a buffer year (next app cycle) for the 2018 applicants. I mean they understand that pre-meds plan their applications at least 2-3 years in advance right? In theory I understand the purpose of this policy change though, although I can't say I agree with it (I definitely replaced 4 of my grades), but the implementation of said policy has A LOT left to be desired.

Im sorry, but not everyone was meant to be a physician. If you want to chase that dream I commend that, but a certain set of standards has to be put in place to maintain the integrity of the profession. Not saying those below that threshold are somehow stupid, but lowering the bar to find the outliers is not a good practice.
That set of standards is known as the medical boards tests (comlex etc), and those scores currently include students who've utilized grade replacement. I doubt that there is any data which shows that replacement students score less than traditional students, or have less chance of passing the boards. If there isn't a way to distinguish pre/post replacement DO's in practice, then this move won't do anything to add to the credibility of the DO profession, but adding research and better clinical rotation sites or wards based rotations to the education would help DO students appear more competent come residency audition time.

That set of standards is known as the medical boards tests (comlex etc), and those scores currently include students who've utilized grade replacement. I doubt that there is any data which shows that replacement students score less than traditional students, or have less chance of passing the boards. If there isn't a way to distinguish pre/post replacement DO's in practice, then this move won't do anything to add to the credibility of the DO profession, but adding research and better clinical rotation sites or wards based rotations to the education would help DO students appear more competent come residency audition time.

This is just my opinion, but DO schools don't have match and pass rates that MD schools have (the top ones do, but most do not). The pass rates have A LOT to do with the first two years of medical school (i.e. the first two years which are all courses). It's a lost investment for DO schools when a student doesn't make it through the 4 years with a residency spot (both time and money and opportunity cost). I imagine this move is to make sure that the FOUNDATION of the process is strong (med school recruits that are able to get through classes and pass COMLEX/USLME) and then move on to what you mentioned, clinical rotations and research for accreditation. I believe COCA has mandated that new schools must have a place for their students to go, but take this statement with a grain of salt because I can't find a source for that right now.

Honestly I don't have an axe to grind because ultimately this change might benefit me this upcoming cycle, but this is so unfair for non traditionals in general. I get the whole argument, "oh if you had to retake a course you weren't committed enough to be a doc or not smart enough" or whatever. But this overlooks the HUGE commitment non trads make at the dream of getting into med school. A lot of people quit their jobs to take minimum wage as a medical scribe and spend thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars while often having families to support in order to follow this dream. Now all that sacrifice is in serious jeaopardy. Taking such extreme steps shows a commitment to this path that I would argue a lot of undergrads don't have, and that should mean something. I'm so sorry for the people who this impacts.

Yeah I could care less if my doctor got a 3.5 with grade replacement as long as they did well on boards. I feel like GPA is not a great predictor for board success, however the MCAT is. Maybe next DO schools will make their MCAT cutoffs more stringent with 0 notice

This is just my opinion, but DO schools don't have match and pass rates that MD schools have (the top ones do, but most do not). The pass rates have A LOT to do with the first two years of medical school (i.e. the first two years which are all courses). It's a lost investment for DO schools when a student doesn't make it through the 4 years with a residency spot (both time and money and opportunity cost). I imagine this move is to make sure that the FOUNDATION of the process is strong (med school recruits that are able to get through classes and pass COMLEX/USLME) and then move on to what you mentioned, clinical rotations and research for accreditation. I believe COCA has mandated that new schools must have a place for their students to go, but take this statement with a grain of salt because I can't find a source for that right now.
If I recall correctly from AMCAS statistics, there is a statistically significant relationship between mcat and board scores, however uGPA is not a significant predictor of board scores and passing. Although this may just be for allopathic schools and not relate to comlex boards, I would bet this holds true. So, uGPA just becomes a screening tool and mcat performance predicts board passing. Maybe since DO schools have less high standards for mcat, this could be why their board pass rates are lower. Furthermore, the education during the first two years is less than standardized between schools, hence why USDE/Coca are cracking down on accreditation as a whole.

I still think AACOM did a very cruel and heartless job for eliminating grade replacement without giving any warning (ideally a year notice ahead of time). They should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: 8 users
Do AACOM and osteopathic schools "talk" to each other? I'm trying to figure out if the schools had any say in this decision. Was this regulation change at the behest of the schools or was this an independent decision that schools were blindsided by

Do AACOM and osteopathic schools "talk" to each other? I'm trying to figure out if the schools had any say in this decision. Was this regulation change at the behest of the schools or was this an independent decision that schools were blindsided by

More than likely they knew but weren't given too much of a say. Whoever thought it was COCA reacting to the USDE is probably correct. Could be wrong though!

If I recall correctly from AMCAS statistics, there is a statistically significant relationship between mcat and board scores, however uGPA is not a significant predictor of board scores and passing. Although this may just be for allopathic schools and not relate to comlex boards, I would bet this holds true. So, uGPA just becomes a screening tool and mcat performance predicts board passing. Maybe since DO schools have less high standards for mcat, this could be why their board pass rates are lower. Furthermore, the education during the first two years is less than standardized between schools, hence why USDE/Coca are cracking down on accreditation as a whole.
http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...rgraduate_institutional_mcat_scores_as.5.aspx

This is an old study and from the old MCAT score so take it for what it's worth, but it shows that the physical science and bio science sections have the most correlation with USMLE success and undergrad Science GPA and verbal reasononing show the weakest correlation.

I remember reading somewhere that their committee is made up of DO school deans, I also heard that these deans voted for this change in order for it to get approved.

Fair point about the correlation between MCAT and board scores. I believe this is why the new MCAT scoring system was introduced, to produce more variability in scoring so med schools aren't stuck with 1,000 applicants with a 30 MCAT. I just think the GPA is another factor in determining capability during the first two years and COCA's thought process here is that it "validates" the measure a bit more by dropping the grade replacement. Once again, I do not agree with the decision, but I'm trying to think of why they would do this.

I do disagree that the first two years are less than standardized. If anything there are only two different types - systems based and traditional. I think case based learning and problem based learning is used here and there for some schools, but when I did my research for med schools apps I saw most have moved into systems-based learning.

Fair point about the correlation between MCAT and board scores. I believe this is why the new MCAT scoring system was introduced, to produce more variability in scoring so med schools aren't stuck with 1,000 applicants with a 30 MCAT. I just think the GPA is another factor in determining capability during the first two years and COCA's thought process here is that it "validates" the measure a bit more by dropping the grade replacement. Once again, I do not agree with the decision, but I'm trying to think of why they would do this.

I do disagree that the first two years are less than standardized. If anything there are only two different types - systems based and traditional. I think case based learning and problem based learning is used here and there for some schools, but when I did my research for med schools apps I saw most have moved into systems-based learning.
But what the correlations show is that there is a correlation between MCAT scores and board scores, however a much weaker correlation between uGPA and board scores. So I don't understand how getting rid of grade replacement could of been the motivator for attempting to improve board success.

But what the correlations show is that there is a correlation between MCAT scores and board scores, however a much weaker correlation between uGPA and board scores. So I don't understand how getting rid of grade replacement could of been the motivator for attempting to improve board success.

People dropout before boards even happen, so perhaps to minimize this? There's a lot of time between matriculation and board testing. I know if I were a medical school I'd want as many valid measures of the applicants I'm looking at as possible. Again, I'm just spit-balling here. A number of faculty and admins have responded in this thread that are far more articulate than I.

Last edited:
wow. Seems kind of cruel for them to take away grade replacement without 2-3 year warning.
I only took two classes for grade replacement
ochem (C to a B+)
Econ (C- to an A)

but I really feel for people who were heavily relying on this for various reasons. :/

Reactions: 5 users
Based on everything I've read preclinical grades were MUCH more correlated to board scores than MCAT scores.

Interesting read however I would be interested in data that is more recent (new MCAT particularly) though. Even based on this study they even say it has small to medium validity which is far from a "strong" correlation. Based on all the advice on here it still seems that preclinical grades are more indicative of board performance @Goro any input?

Last edited:
Interesting read however I would be interested in data that is more recent (new MCAT particularly) though. Even based on this study they even say it has small to medium validity which is far from a "strong" correlation. Based on all the advice on here it still seems that preclinical grades are more indicative of board performance @Goro any input?

Well no one who has taken the new MCAT has taken boards yet. And sure I agree that pre-clinical grades would be the best predictor for board performance but that can't be evaluated prior to matriculation. My point was that uGPA doesn't have as much of an indication of board success, and thus shouldn't be weighted as heavily as the MCAT for admissions decisions.

EDIT: Also "The MCAT total has a large predictive validity coefficient (r 0.66; 43.6% of the variance) effect size for USMLE Step 1"

Last edited:
Well no one who has taken the new MCAT has taken boards yet. And sure I agree that pre-clinical grades would be the best predictor for board performance but that can't be evaluated prior to matriculation. My point was that uGPA doesn't have much a indication of board success, and thus shouldn't be weighted as heavily as the MCAT for admissions decisions.

True, I may have overlooked that you specifically talking about uGPA. I don't think the best way to determine which is more valuable of those two data points is via board scores though. It might be better to figure out of those two data points which correlates more heavily to better pre clinical grade performance, as that data point is more correlated to board performance? I really don't know just bouncing ideas around because I think it's an interesting topic

Edit: I did see that statistic but a quick google search pulled up quite a few scholarly studies that directly contradict that stat.. so who knows

Reactions: 10 users
Reactions: 5 users
True, I may have overlooked that you specifically talking about uGPA. I don't think the best way to determine which is more valuable of those two data points is via board scores though. It might be better to figure out of those two data points which correlates more heavily to better pre clinical grade performance, as that data point is more correlated to board performance? I really don't know just bouncing ideas around because I think it's an interesting topic

Edit: I did see that statistic but a quick google search pulled up quite a few scholarly studies that directly contradict that stat.. so who knows

can you link me to those articles? for some reason I find this stuff super interesting too haha

Wow that reads like it was written by a 10 year old. I'm getting absolutely demolished by this change and my entire future is now completely uncertain, but I would be absolutely embarrassed to present that petition to anyone.
"He or she might of failed"

The person who wrote this probably needed grade forgiveness for the English class they failed.

can you link me to those articles? for some reason I find this stuff super interesting too haha

Definitely! As soon as I get back I'll throw you what I pull up!

"He or she might of failed"

The person who wrote this probably needed grade forgiveness for the English class they failed.

That comment made me literally lol haha

That change.org petition is written very poorly and misses the critical reasons the policy is unreasonable and burdensome. The points that need to be stressed and emailed to [email protected] are:
  • Students have invested thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars repeating courses under the clear expectation that they would be competitive candidates.
  • Any change to the policy should be given at least one year in advance if not two.
  • Changes in policy without notice put unreasonable economic hardship on students reasonable expectations.
  • Students must be given reasonable time to plan, and many are signed up for retakes that start this month and have no time to register or apply for programs that make more sense if retakes are averaged.
Email [email protected] and specifically state that you would like your email forwarded to the governing board for consideration. I would be applying with a 3.4 sGPA in May. Now I am not competitive, signed up for a retake in the Spring I should probably not take anymore (starts in two weeks), and do not have time to register for courses I would have planned for had reasonable notice been given.