End of Grade Replacement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trickydick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an email from AACOM via my pre-health advisor that said this:

"Effective May 1, 2017, AACOMAS will include all course attempts in the GPA calculation. This change applies to students matriculating into the 2018-2019 academic year. In the event of multiple attempts of the same course, AACOMAS will no longer drop initial course attempts from the GPA calculation."

Does this mean that grade replacement is no longer a viable option to improve one's GPA relatively quickly for osteopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no indication of this on the AACOMAS website, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I was mentioning a few weeks ago. Grade replacement is gone, and from what I understand, AACOMAS will now resemble AMCAS to standardize DO and MD applicants and I assume strengthen their accreditation standards due to the merger

Reactions: 1 users
There is no indication of this on the AACOMAS website, however.
I called aacomas last week and they said that updates for the next app cycle will go live on the site 2wks before it opens in May.

That seems somewhat cruel, someone could have spent an entire year or two on grade replacement just to find out that it doesn't count 2 weeks before the app cycle starts

Reactions: 18 users
Wow that's despicable if that really happens !

Without grade replacement I would've had zero chance into any schools

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Well this is bull crap. There go 2 years and $20k down the drain.

Reactions: 2 users
That seems somewhat cruel, someone could have spent an entire year or two on grade replacement just to find out that it doesn't count 2 weeks before the app cycle starts
I'm holding onto hope that the average DO matriculant has an unrealistically elevated GPA due to grade replacement. With this going away, my bet is applicant gpa's at DO schools will drop. At that point, my HOPE is the established GPA screens will reflect that drop, and then the burden will lie with the schools to do a more thorough holistic review of the applicants, so GPA Won't eliminate a quality applicant.

Reactions: 4 users
Damn. That certainly means way more stress to the whole cycle. Now we have essentially two equivalent application processes. Disappointing.

Good; They should get rid of OMM next, and the comlex.
Also the time is not wasted folks, if you were getting As it will boost your GPA.

Reactions: 19 users
Good; They should get rid of OMM next, and the comlex.
Also the time is not wasted folks, if you were getting As it will boost your GPA.

It still would have been nice to know. People could have taken science classes that interested them and learned new things rather than retaking orgo or gen chem. Or people could have enrolled in a SMP like I did rather than try for grade replacement.

Reactions: 6 users
It still would have been nice to know. People could have taken science classes that interested them and learned new things rather than retaking orgo or gen chem. Or people could have enrolled in a SMP like I did rather than try for grade replacement.
Well if they got a C then got an A the grade is a B

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I am so surprised by this! I feel sorry for those who have spent time and money this past year to fix previous mistakes in order to show that they do have what it takes to do well in medical school. If it were not for grade replacement I definitely don't think I would be starting school in August. I dodged a bullet!

Reactions: 4 users
Wow...this really sucks. @Goro. What should my game plan change to? I deferred an smp last year.

I just got off the phone with AACOMAS and they will not confirm or deny it. I guess it's a better bet to assume they won't be doing grade replacement anymore. They kept saying wait until the new cycle opens to confirm, but one would think they would tell us something earlier then 2 weeks before it takes effect on us.

My wily old Admissions dean just got back from vacation and told me the same thing.

I would recommend that DO aspirants now approach this as if they were targeting MD schools; ie, do a DIY post-bac or SMP, and ace them. At least one doesn't have to ace MCAT...something around 504+ should suffice.

Personally, I think it's a stupid policy and will simply lower the median GPAs of the COMs. The schools that run SMPs will make out like bandits, I expect.

Some schools require a B or better in pre-reqs, maybe even a C+, so retaking an F/D might be still advised.

I think that strong rising trends might also be looked at more favorably. Thus, keeping in line with rewarding reinvention.

Wow...this really sucks. @Goro. What should my game plan change to? I deferred an smp last year.

Reactions: 11 users
My wily old Admissions dean just got back from vacation and told me the same thing.

I would recommend that DO aspirants now approach this as if they were targeting MD schools; ie, do a DIY post-bac or SMP, and ace them. At least one doesn't have to ace MCAT...something around 504+ should suffice.

Personally, I think it's a stupid policy and will simply lower the median GPAs of the COMs. The schools that run SMPs will make out like bandits, I expect.

Some schools require a B or better in pre-reqs, maybe even a C+, so retaking an F/D might be still advised.

I think that strong rising trends might also be looked at more favorably. Thus, keeping in line with rewarding reinvention.
Is this all part of the AMCAS conspiracy to destroy Osteopathic medicine as we know it?

Wow that sucks

Does this really even make sense for DO schools? Won't applicants now just apply MD if grade replacement is gone?

This is so depressing. I had an awful first semester of college, two of my closest friends passed away and I failed 3 classes, both my Bio 1 Lecture and Lab as well as my Chem lab, and Pre-Cal. I've retaken all three classes and gotten A's, but there is no way that will bring my GPA up enough. I was relying heavily on the concept of grade replacement and now I'm so scared. I will be lucky to graduate with a 3.4 GPA without the replacement. What do people like me do now? I thought this was a way to prove that I really just experienced a fluke, will that still be doable? Or will my low GPA doom me? I don't even know what to think at this moment. I am not applying until 2019.

This is so depressing. I had an awful first semester of college, two of my closest friends passed away and I failed 3 classes, both my Bio 1 Lecture and Lab as well as my Chem lab, and Pre-Cal. I've retaken all three classes and gotten A's, but there is no way that will bring my GPA up enough. I was relying heavily on the concept of grade replacement and now I'm so scared. I will be lucky to graduate with a 3.4 GPA without the replacement. What do people like me do now? I thought this was a way to prove that I really just experienced a fluke, will that still be doable? Or will my low GPA doom me? I don't even know what to think at this moment. I am not applying until 2019.
What can you get it up to?
http://gpacalculator.net/how-to-raise-gpa/

Wow that's insane. And they're going to do it without giving anyone notice?? I feel like there's going to be a bit of outrage about this. The only thing I can see coming from this is lower average GPA for acceptance.

Does this really even make sense for DO schools? Won't applicants now just apply MD if grade replacement is gone?

A majority will still not get accepted to MD schools and many of them will still happily go to DO schools

I doubt a 3.4 will make you completely uncompetitive. I'm also kind of amazed as I had 2 Cs and just got my GPA to a 3.4, couldn't imagine getting there after 3 Fs.

I'll be graduating with a 3.40 cGPA and 3.42 sGPA if I finish my next three semesters with a 3.5 GPA, with a 4.0 GPA I could get it up to a 3.52 with two extra semesters and a 4.0 GPA over 5 semesters.

Relax... a >3.4 is competitive for DO schools.

I doubt a 3.4 will make you completely uncompetitive. I'm also kind of amazed as I had 2 Cs and just got my GPA to a 3.4, couldn't imagine getting there after 3 Fs.

Worst part is I vowed to turn around and just hammer away at getting good ass grades, then got Bs in 3 classes that should have been As due to a bunch of family happenings. That would have been fine HAD I NOT FAILED THREE CLASSES. Haha it's the most depressing uphill battle but I thought "At least the DO schools do grade replacements, I'll be very competitive for DO." And was literally just looking around when I saw this.

Sad!

I'm holding onto hope that the average DO matriculant has an unrealistically elevated GPA due to grade replacement. With this going away, my bet is applicant gpa's at DO schools will drop. At that point, my HOPE is the established GPA screens will reflect that drop, and then the burden will lie with the schools to do a more thorough holistic review of the applicants, so GPA Won't eliminate a quality applicant.

Don't hold your breath.
GPA cut offs exist to make the applicant list more manageable. They'll be there in residency and Fellowship applications as well.

--
Il Destriero

Relax... a >3.4 is competitive for DO schools.

I was really hoping to stay in Texas but being noncompetitive for MD and TCOM, and with UIW being the only DO school in Texas that does grade replacement and it being competitive enough as it is, I got really disheartened seeing this. I guess I'll just see how it goes, but now I'm thinking what am I gonna do if/when I don't get accepted.

Will >3.4 stay competitive for DO or will it end up being just as noncompetitive as it is for MD?Should I just plan to apply MD as well because I might as well at this point? I am stressing out so hard now.

Will >3.4 stay competitive for DO or will it end up being just as noncompetitive as it is for MD?Should I just plan to apply MD as well because I might as well at this point? I am stressing out so hard now.
relax. 3.4 is definitely not going to close any doors for you for DO. have you taken the MCAT yet?

Wow I am so surprised by this! I feel sorry for those who have spent time and money this past year to fix previous mistakes in order to show that they do have what it takes to do well in medical school. If it were not for grade replacement I definitely don't think I would be starting school in August. I dodged a bullet!

You and me both man, I'm accepted but still alarmed that if U hadn't been I'd have wasted years of my life for not what I thought. My heart goes out to the applicants of the next cycle who just got the wool pulled over their eyes

relax. 3.4 is definitely not going to close any doors for you for DO. have you taken the MCAT yet?
No, I haven't. I was planning on a gap year due to how many classes I'm gonna be taking each semester to try and offset those F's.

It still makes absolute sense, especially when a 3.3 will suffice for DO schools and a 3.6-3.7 is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for MD. It is not easy elevating your GPA when it is comprised of hundreds of units...

This likely plays in favor of applicants who have a GPA too low for MD schools, in the 3.4-3.6 range, but do not have any course repeats.

Is that correct? Because they will now have an advantage over the DO applicants who had turned their GPA into a 3.4-3.6 using grade forgiveness.

I only ask because my little brother falls into that category. He wants to go MD after graduating this spring but I've always told him to just keep DO as a backup plan. He probably becomes a more attractive applicant for DO schools now based on this policy change, right?

Don't hold your breath.
GPA cut offs exist to make the applicant list more manageable. They'll be there in residency and Fellowship applications as well.

--
Il Destriero
I definitely agree there is a purpose for cutoff screens. But, when certain schools have a 2.7 cutoff when allowing replacement, it only makes sense to lower the cutoff to let's say a 2.5-2.6 when grade replacement is no longer taken into consideration.

I definitely agree there is a purpose for cutoff screens. But, when certain schools have a 2.7 cutoff when allowing replacement, it only makes sense to lower the cutoff to let's say a 2.5-2.6 when grade replacement is no longer taken into consideration.

are some of the cutoffs actually that low right now? 2.7? is that only uCPA? because i've never heard of somebody getting in with just a 2.7 uCPA.

Anyone getting in with something under a 3.0 almost certainly did something incredible and is a part of the 1 or 2% of applicants regardless. If your GPA is under a 3.2 even I would strongly suggest a SMP.

Yup. But not all will get into MD schools.

It's not the end of the world for DO schools, they will just have to lower their floors for GPA.

I can see how other scenarios might play out with this.

Seems like the MCAT just got a whole lot more important for DO students who want to replace a grade.

Those are extremely low GPAs and you'd be DOA everywhere. Even a 3.0 is very low.

Seems like the MCAT just got a whole lot more important for DO students who want to replace a grade.

Smart move. Mimics reality. Your board score as a DO now 100% determine your future. Might as well get good at those test taking strategies now.

are some of the cutoffs actually that low right now? 2.7? is that only uCPA? because i've never heard of somebody getting in with just a 2.7 uCPA.
Most DO schools post their minimum GPA cutoff to receive a secondary. Some are a 3.2ish, some 3, some in the 2.8-2.7 range. I've talked to admissions at DO schools who say they've got just a few people in the under 2.8 range, but after a holistic review they couldn't justify not letting them in because they'll change the world. So I guess the moral of the story for lower GPA applicants is to make sure you demonstrate your worth outside of your GPA and allow the adcoms to decide

Two years ago when I began academic "reinvention" I had to choose between doing an all science master's at a medical school or grade replacement of UG classes. I chose the former and have been accepted to DO school this cycle. It's possible to accomplish the same goals of grade replacement through other ways, like an all science masters, 20 credits of post-bacc upper level courses, or continuing to retake SUPER low grades (D's and F's) to average the scores and prove to ADCOM's you can handle it.

Essentially, it's not the end of the world. I predict DIY post-baccs with upper level coursework will become more common. The MCAT will silence any doubts as well (505+)!

What proportion of applicants usually used the grade replacement policy from what you understand? Do you think that this is going to dramatically cut down on the applicant pool?

What proportion of applicants usually used the grade replacement policy from what you understand? Do you think that this is going to dramatically cut down on the applicant pool?

Probably...It will also lower the avg matriculant GPAs. Or maybe the GPAs will stay the same and it will just be harder to get in. :eek:

With the increase of average GPA for D.O. schools over the years, could they be doing this because they feel they are getting more competitive applicants now? Like someone said earlier, the applicant who never has never used grade replacement but has a 3.4-3.6 GPA would suddenly gain a large advantage. Depending on their MCAT score, they could get into an M.D. school but have a long shot on average. Currently, they are on the same page with a 3.4-3.6 applicant who has multiple grade replacements applying the D.O. cycle. I am not sure how admissions would currently compare two 3.5 applicants, one with grade replacement and one without. Obviously other factors play into who they choose or not. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next several years.