Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So i submitted my application to all my programs and had a few questions...

The program director at the programs I am rotating at took a look at my personal statement and told me to change a few things around.

Is it ok to re-do my personal statement and select the new one?

As far as I know, you can't change your PS after you submit it. And you can only submit one per program.

Members don't see this ad.

Saw on another thread, attendings said they can't screen any part of the app until the entire thing is downloaded. I.e., can't download individual portions.

As far as I know, you can't change your PS after you submit it. And you can only submit one per program.

You can upload a new one, and I think you can switch the one sent to the program if you want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO students, I received this email today from a michigan program I applied to:

"I received your application to our program today. Please be aware that we require a year internship be completed prior to entering our program.

We would be highly interested in seeing your application next year through ERAS!

Best wishes to you this fall and upcoming spring."

So as DO students we can not participate in Michigan ACGME residencies without doing an internship??

For DO students, I received this email today from a michigan program I applied to:

"I received your application to our program today. Please be aware that we require a year internship be completed prior to entering our program.

We would be highly interested in seeing your application next year through ERAS!

So as DO students we can not participate in Michigan ACGME residencies without doing an internship??

2 things that comes to mind. I know there's a PGY2-4 EM program out there, but I don't remember where. Second, is MI one of the states that requires a DO to do an AOA internship?

This must be institution specific. Yes, MI is one of the ones where you have to do an AOA approved internship year to be certified in MI but I know of a number of programs and a number of DO residents in them right now that did NOT do an internship year. In fact, at least one (Western Mich) offers you the option to do the ACGME match but actually fulfill the AOA requirements WITHOUT having to do an extra year (too long for me to explain... look on their website for details) OR you can just do the standard 3 yr route and say Eff the AOA internship year so that debunks the theory that you MUST have an AOA internship to apply to MI programs. Long story short... I'm pretty sure it's just that one program. Care to share who it was or are we all paranoid to the point of not even saying that yet, lol? :laugh:

This must be institution specific. Yes, MI is one of the ones where you have to do an AOA approved internship year to be certified in MI but I know of a number of programs and a number of DO residents in them right now that did NOT do an internship year. In fact, at least one (Western Mich) offers you the option to do the ACGME match but actually fulfill the AOA requirements WITHOUT having to do an extra year (too long for me to explain... look on their website for details) OR you can just do the standard 3 yr route and say Eff the AOA internship year so that debunks the theory that you MUST have an AOA internship to apply to MI programs. Long story short... I'm pretty sure it's just that one program. Care to share who it was or are we all paranoid to the point of not even saying that yet, lol? :laugh:

Came across this when I was researching residencies.

Michigan State, Grand Rapids
https://www.grmep.org/residents-and-fellows/emergency-medicine/applicants.html

"Please be aware that the State of Michigan requires all osteopathic students to complete a general internship year prior to joining an allopathic residency program."

Came across this when I was researching residencies.

Michigan State, Grand Rapids
https://www.grmep.org/residents-and-fellows/emergency-medicine/applicants.html

"Please be aware that the State of Michigan requires all osteopathic students to complete a general internship year prior to joining an allopathic residency program."

That is somewhat true... IF... you want to practice in MI after residency. Have not heard that you must have completed an internship prior to applying for residency but since I'm at a program right now which just so happens to be in MI and just so happens to be an allopathic program that has a good number of DOs I'll ask tomorrow and report back on the fact or fiction of that claim. I'm guessing it's a preset stumbling block put in place by the program to semi deter DOs. I know MI is very DO friendly but if you look at that particular program... no current DOs (and only 2 in the last 4 years). Who knows... I'll report back if I can actually shake my Alzheimers by tomorrow.

That is somewhat true... IF... you want to practice in MI after residency. Have not heard that you must have completed an internship prior to applying for residency but since I'm at a program right now which just so happens to be in MI and just so happens to be an allopathic program that has a good number of DOs I'll ask tomorrow and report back on the fact or fiction of that claim. I'm guessing it's a preset stumbling block put in place by the program to semi deter DOs. I know MI is very DO friendly but if you look at that particular program... no current DOs (and only 2 in the last 4 years). Who knows... I'll report back if I can actually shake my Alzheimers by tomorrow.

If I remember correctly from previous threads, this is a result of AOA meddling... requires all DO to complete the TRI as a prerequisite for licensure.

Not a DO though, so not sure...

-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly from previous threads, this is a result of AOA meddling... requires all DO to complete the TRI as a prerequisite for licensure.

Now that doesn't surprise me at ALL, lol

-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I believe this is accurate and is true for several states including Michigan (FL, PA and a couple others). That said, I think there is something called resolution 42 that allows you to waive that requirement if you participate in an ACGME residency. Can anyone comment on that?

Is there any reason why the Grand Rapids program would not work the same as the rest of the Michigan ACGME programs?

I believe this is accurate and is true for several states including Michigan (FL, PA and a couple others). That said, I think there is something called resolution 42 that allows you to waive that requirement if you participate in an ACGME residency. Can anyone comment on that?

Is there any reason why the Grand Rapids program would not work the same as the rest of the Michigan ACGME programs?

What you said is accurate. I do not believe there is a state law requiring you do a DO intern year before residency. In order to become licensed in Michigan, however, a DO would have to either do an intern year or get a resolution 42 passed. So the program may be trying to simplify this for their applicants and for themselves by just requiring an intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What you said is accurate. I do not believe there is a state law requiring you do a DO intern year before residency. In order to become licensed in Michigan, however, a DO would have to either do an intern year or get a resolution 42 passed. So the program may be trying to simplify this for their applicants and for themselves by just requiring an intern year.

So basically resolution 42 claims that your first year of an ACGME residency will fulfill the requirements for that osteopathic intern year.

Here is some information:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...-training/Pages/recognition-of-pgy1-year.aspx

OK, so asked the question today and here's what I was told by a program representative here in MI. Yes, MI as a whole DOES require you to do an AOA approved internship year to complete an ACGME residency in the state of MI... apparently. What "some" programs in MI have done is created this pseudo internship year that basically allows you to be able to fulfill the requirements of the AOA internship year without actually having to do the extra year. Basically, you give up all your elective months in your first year to do the BS family med and whatever other rotations are required by the AOA to certify it BUT you still do your basic EM intern year... just without the electives. That allows you to still graduate residency in 3 years AND do the ACGME residency AND get the AOA approved internship year. Catch is that not all programs in MI are doing this or are willing to, hence Grand Rapid's response noted earlier. Basically some programs offer it, some don't.... wish I would have known that little hitch before dropping 5 or 6 extra MI apps out there because apparently there are at least 2 (perhaps more, not sure) programs that offer this option and I only know this because I'm at one this month and they are awesome about it :)
As for res. 42... what I've been told the catch with res 42 is that you have to prove that you were accepted into a residency program that does NOT give you the option to complete an AOA approved intern year. This essentially means that if you are at a hospital that "could" accommodate that and you choose not to do it... guess what? So sorry, not res 42 for you. So, for the couple of options above (in MI) that actually offer the option to take care of the AOA internship year... if you choose NOT to do it, then you won't be approved. You can apply but I've been told that if you have the opportunity to do an approved internship year and you don't then you're on your own... no licensing in those states that require it. What's peculiar is that it seems that, unless I'm mistaken, MI is the only one that "requires" it for RESIDENCY... not just for licensure. So for instance, if you go to residency in PA and you are comfortable with the fact that you will never be allowed to practice in PA (or at least til these stupid rules are overturned) then you can happily go through residency and not worry about it, move out of PA after residency, and not worry about... or you can apply for res 42. With MI it "seems" that's not the case... or so I've been able to gather so far. Will be asking more people today when I'm on shift to get a clearer picture but there doesn't seem to be anything precluding the MI residencies from allow DOs into their residency except if they just don't want to play ball and help out and if that's the case... you probably don't want to be there anyways. I was told by the PD where I'm at that applying to Grand Rapids as a DO is a waste of time anyways but that's an n=1 thing so take it for what it's worth. Will update more if I find out anything else.

From the link provided above about the res 42...
This is what must be completed in order to achieve recognition. Seems most residencies would be able to make all these happen with little difficulty except perhaps the Family med... We will see.

Emergency Medicine
-
1st Year Requirement
1 month (or 4 weeks) of general internal medicine
2 months (or 8 weeks) of additional medicine that may include training in general
internal medicine, medical subspecialties, or hospital family practice in any
combination.
1 month (or 4 weeks) of hospital-based general surgery
2 months (or 8 weeks) of additional surgical training in either ambulatory or hospital
settings. These eight (8) weeks may consist of:
General surgery.
Any surgical subspecialty.
Free standing ambulatory surgery, on or off campus.
Gynecological surgery.
Emergency medicine.
1 month (or 4 weeks) of training in female reproductive medicine with a minimum of
50% of this time spent in obstetrics
1 month (or 4 weeks) of pediatrics with a minimum of 50% of ambulatory straining
which will be defined by the training institution. Strong consideration should be
given to a pediatric emergency medicine rotation
Four months (or 20 weeks) of emergency medicine that will be conducted under the
supervision of a board certified/board eligible emergency medicine physician in an
institution approved for residency training in emergency medicine

Last edited:
Looking for some advice: High Pass my home EM, just found out i High Passed my away rotation. I'm getting SLORS from both. The away rotation wrote amazing comments (which kinda shocks me that i didn't honor but it is what it is). My transcript is alrdy uploaded to ERAS from before I received my away rotation grade. I'm hesitant to bother uploading the new grade since its not honors but I do think when the SLOR comes out it will be really good (based on the comments I received). Do I ever have to upload another transcript? In other words is it necessary to show all your sub i grades? From what I've been told whats in the SLOR is more important than the grade itself but does that mean I can just not upload it. It is kinda time sensitive because my elective I'm on now is almost done and chances of a honors on this is slim (it has nothing to do with EM and I'm basically in 4th year mode). I prob have a few weeks before the grade on this elective is on my transcript so obviously I'd want to upload before this grade goes in as well.

Looking for some advice: High Pass my home EM, just found out i High Passed my away rotation. I'm getting SLORS from both. The away rotation wrote amazing comments (which kinda shocks me that i didn't honor but it is what it is). My transcript is alrdy uploaded to ERAS from before I received my away rotation grade. I'm hesitant to bother uploading the new grade since its not honors but I do think when the SLOR comes out it will be really good (based on the comments I received). Do I ever have to upload another transcript? In other words is it necessary to show all your sub i grades? From what I've been told whats in the SLOR is more important than the grade itself but does that mean I can just not upload it. It is kinda time sensitive because my elective I'm on now is almost done and chances of a honors on this is slim (it has nothing to do with EM and I'm basically in 4th year mode). I prob have a few weeks before the grade on this elective is on my transcript so obviously I'd want to upload before this grade goes in as well.

The grade goes on the SLOE form.

http://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3743

Was wondering about this because my school doesn't upload 4th year transcripts. So all EM rotation grades will be seen on the SLOEs?

I don't like the new "SLOE" compared to last year's SLOR. Very small changes but also very key ones. One change that I did like was the addition of the question that goes something like "Are you currently on the committee that determines the final rank list?" in the section that asks what part of their rank list does the letter writer see the applicant ending up. I think that's important to know if someone actually has input on the process or if they just think the applicant is awesome but has no real say in if they will make it on the list and where.
Changes I dislike... the section that allowed the writer to include "One key comment for the ED faculty Eval" has been done away with. Means less feedback for us. Also, they put a word limit (250 words) on the narrative part at the end... again, less feedback for us. Means our letters are becoming even MORE standardized and generic and I'm guessing will be less useful when PDs review them if it's mostly all check boxes. Oh, about the check boxes... in the old one the check boxes for the "qualifications for EM" section pretty much had 4 choice ranging from "outstanding (top 10%)" to "good (lower 1/3)". Now with the new one it has only 3 categories... "Above peers (top 1/3)" or "at level of peers (middle 1/3)" or "below peers (lower 1/3)". Again, narrowing the bar so now the best of the best are thrown in a category with 33% of people instead of 10% of people... blurring the lines of who's great and who's really just good. I think the new changes in the SLOR (or SLOE I guess) are negative changes except the one exception above because they are making it harder for "great" letters to actually mean anything. You can go in and actually KILL your rotation and end up with a letter that won't look much different than the next guy who just did well but wasn't a rock star. I can see that as a negative and that they are moving more towards straight up numbers and check boxes to evaluate people rather than word of mouth and personal vouching for candidates. Oh well, such is the process we're getting into...

I am a reapplicant so I have SLORs from last year's cycle. I asked all my SLOR authors to reformat their SLORs to the new SLOE form, which they all agreed to do because I thought it would be advantageous to apply with the newest forms so my letters would look "fresh". Having read your comments, should I use my SLORs instead of the new revised SLOEs??

I know my SLORs were very positive and I just want to put my best foot forward. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Regarding step 2/ level 2; if my scores came out after releasing them, do I need to do anything to 'push' them to the programs? Or will they automatically be released and downloaded?

Gotya but still I'd rather them be able to read the comments than just see HP you know what I mean? So essentially I prob could just not bother reuploading then and just wait for the SLOR?

Unless you're on a rotation notorious for giving honors to everyone who shows up, has a pulse, and does not actively infect patients with Ebola Virus, then there's no shame in a HP, and you shouldn't worry about them seeing the grade- just do what you need to do so they get the SLOR. If you are in one of those rotations, then you probably are busily giving people Ebola, and you owe it to the program to know what a horrible and incompetent doctor you are.

Regarding step 2/ level 2; if my scores came out after releasing them, do I need to do anything to 'push' them to the programs? Or will they automatically be released and downloaded?

If I understand it correctly, this year you have to re-release scores when they're updated. It used to be you could either have automatic release or manual release but it appears they've done away with the manual release.

If I understand it correctly, this year you have to re-release scores when they're updated. It used to be you could either have automatic release or manual release but it appears they've done away with the manual release.
Whoa, thanks for the heads-up. My COMLEX 2 came out today (609!) and I thought it was just sent automatically. Glad you said something. ;)

Just a quick question.. for those you who don't have away rotation grade yet... would you upload the transcript anyway without the away grade? Or wait until the grade comes out and upload later... :eek:

Just a quick question.. for those you who don't have away rotation grade yet... would you upload the transcript anyway without the away grade? Or wait until the grade comes out and upload later... :eek:

I'm applying without. My away rotation is late (I start on Monday), so I won't have a grade from that rotation until early November at the earliest.

Per my adviser, it's less ideal to have a late rotation but you certainly wouldn't want to wait until your grade is back to submit. Also, the grade from your away matters less than the SLOR, or so I've been told -- so that's really what you're waiting on.

Got my first invite today! Good luck errybody

Congrats shenanigi:) Mind adding it to the interview-invite thread for 2013-14...to include where & interview-dates available?

Week 1: 4 sdn invites. Hope next weeks a bit more exciting.
Wake, Summa & ECU have yet to download anything :cool:

I've got no download from UCLA Harbor or Cook County.

Just stumbled on this thread. EM applicant here, so good luck everyone!

General question: how many EM programs should I apply to? So far I've applied to 19 (which includes a few EM/FM combo program apps), not sure if I need to add more.

My stats-
Step 1 240
Step 2 CK pending (find out this Wed.)
Step 2 CS passed
GPA 3.84
Class Rank 1st quartile
AOA nominated

General question: how many EM programs should I apply to? So far I've applied to 19 (which includes a few EM/FM combo program apps), not sure if I need to add more.

My stats-
Step 1 240
Step 2 CS passed
GPA 3.84
Class Rank 1st quartile
AOA nominated

I would say your prob good but depends on your list if you have any "safeties" in there.. also up to 30 it doesn't really cost that much more per program. I have similar stats and applied to like 40, probably being overly paranoid but I'm more region specific as well and from what I get EM is not all about numbers like some other specialties. With that said, what do I really know I'm just a fellow MS4.

My stats-
Step 1 240
Step 2 CS passed
GPA 3.84
Class Rank 1st quartile
AOA nominated
20 is probably adequate with your strong application, but it really depends on what 20 programs you picked.

You need to apply to an interview at a mix of reach, middle of the road, and less competitive (Not saying safety or backup, I don't think anything is safety nowadays).

If you only applied to California programs, Denver, Cinci, and Carolinas then you need to open up your list. If it's all midwest programs in average cities then you're more than fine.

This is really a question for your PD or adviser who knows you and your specific situation.

20 is probably adequate with your strong application, but it really depends on what 20 programs you picked.

You need to apply to an interview at a mix of reach, middle of the road, and less competitive (Not saying safety or backup, I don't think anything is safety nowadays).

If you only applied to California programs, Denver, Cinci, and Carolinas then you need to open up your list. If it's all midwest programs in average cities then you're more than fine.

This is really a question for your PD or adviser who knows you and your specific situation.

What do you consider middle of the road and less competitive in the northeast?

Do you guys know (at least for your institution), what determines the final punch-line on your mspe? Is it solely based on class-rank? I can imagine plain "recommend" making some programs cautious/hurting ones chances. Also, any horror stories about deans nit-picking and adding the one-two negative comments from ms3 rotations on mspe?

Last edited:
This is why I love EM!

I left my ED shift yesterday feeling so great from the mix of pathology and opportunity to be involved, and I just wanted to share a few learning points from yesterday with my fellow applicants:

Mid 30s male with aortic dissection, from a proximal point just distal to the origin of the subclavian, all the way down into the SMA, and all the way down into one of the iliacs
-This was a valuable learning experience for me. All you had to do was look at the dude from the door and you could tell some badness was happening. He wasn't complaining so much, but the look on his face was of a man trying to conceal his pain and fear in front of his fiance. He looked very uncomfortable, sorta like a kidney stone but more subtle. Kept shifting his weight in bed. He wasn't my patient initially, so I didn't take the history, but when I saw the CT I went in the room to get a look at him. He described his pain as being pretty classic, substernal but radiating to the back, and he said he developed some abdominal pain since he arrived. Equal pulses, neurologically intact. They scanned him based on chest pain with a history of uncontrolled HTN, I don't even think he mentioned the back pain at that time. I'll have to find out what happened to him today, as CVS took him up to the CVICU, and I expect he would be medically managed based on having a Type B/III. They were starting an esmolol gtt in the ED.

40yo male, motorcycle vs. ?, of the extremities only his RUE was spared from nasty fractures, also had a fracture of the transverse process of C6 and so needed a CTA. Crepitus over the thorax, multiple broken ribs, CXR looked like pulmonary contusions to me but I didn't read the official report. Got a L-sided chest tube for a small pneumo. Initial FAST performed by trauma resident was negative and vitals were stable, but on CT he had a sufficient splenic lac with enough bleeding to get him to the OR for a splenectomy.
The attending asked if I knew what a Maisonneuve fracture was, and I did not.
http://lifeinthefastlane.com/education/who-was/eponymous-fractures/
Main teaching point in that conversation was that if you have a proximal or distal fracture of the lower leg that disrupts the interosseus ligament, that ligamentous disruption can spread proximally or distally to affect the other joint (knee or ankle depending on where it started).

70ish woman who fell on her porch, had a dislocated elbow. We did "conscious" sedation with propofol for the reduction, which went well, until after her elbow reduced and that painful stimulus subsided. ETCO2 and pulse ox alerted us, we tried stimulating her, I gave her a jaw thrust and bagged her for a couple minutes.
The lesson here is really to make sure you always have ETCO2 for "conscious" sedation, and to be well-versed in what it means and what it can tell you. There's a great EMCrit podcast on the use of ETCO2, and I highly recommend it. There's also a lot of online articles.

We also had an ischemic stroke in a 70yo man with a history of a prior stroke leaving him weak on his right side. His grandson said he was seeming confused and talking funny, and it started abruptly. He has able to call his grandson by name, but on arrival, he was unable to tell me his name, the year, our location, or the president. He couldn't give me the name of my watch or my pen. He was articulating his words well, just not making much sense, saying "that's, uh, that's the name, the name? I have, yeah, it's that..." When asked to open his eyes, he opened his mouth. I was the first person to see him in the room, and when I asked his name and he couldn't tell me, but was still pronouncing things correctly without slurring, I went down that avenue of language deficits. He had no increased weakness on his good side. CT was negative, MRI showed a CVA in the left posterior temporal area. No TPA due to h/o recent GI bleed with hemoccult positive and no obvious hemorrhoids. The lesson here was to remember that the neuro exam isn't just motor, sensory and coordination.

Hope you're all having fun on rotations and learning a lot!

Last edited:

My stats-
Step 1 240
Step 2 CS passed
GPA 3.84
Class Rank 1st quartile
AOA nominated

Just chiming in. I have similar stats to you. Step 1 240's I haven't taken either portions of step 2 yet and I am not close to your GPA (I am 50%'le) but HP in my core EM and Honors in my away EM. I applied to 25 places at first. I was freaking out so I ran my list by my advisor (PD at my schools EM residency) and he laughed cause he said I applied to plenty of places yet I still went home and added more.

I am not sure if this is the same for everyone, but do all deans letters wait until october to be released, or is it just my school? I am hoping programs are waiting for my deans letter because I only have one interview even submitting right away with all but one slor/sloe in.

Anyways good luck to everyone! It is nerve racking for sure.

Just a friendly reminder, as I'm seeing an under-utilized resource...

SDN has more than just forums! If you go to the top bar and hover over 'Reference Materials', there is a link that appears for 'Interview Feedback'. Click it. Inside, you'll find all kinds of posts from people who have interviewed at programs you might be considering. It's a great way to get a feel for a program before you visit, to be prepared for any quirks or 'favorite questions' that might pop up during the interview, and to get an idea of what the day's schedule entails.

So look to see if there's feedback for your next interview stop! Then, after you've rocked it, come back and share your experience. Feedback is (I believe) completely anonymous, and leaves a valuable resource for those that will follow after us. I was incredibly thankful to have it while applying for medical school, and I'd like to see it be just as valuable for residency.

/Public Service Announcement :D

Just a friendly reminder, as I'm seeing an under-utilized resource...

SDN has more than just forums! If you go to the top bar and hover over 'Reference Materials', there is a link that appears for 'Interview Feedback'. Click it. Inside, you'll find all kinds of posts from people who have interviewed at programs you might be considering. It's a great way to get a feel for a program before you visit, to be prepared for any quirks or 'favorite questions' that might pop up during the interview, and to get an idea of what the day's schedule entails.

So look to see if there's feedback for your next interview stop! Then, after you've rocked it, come back and share your experience. Feedback is (I believe) completely anonymous, and leaves a valuable resource for those that will follow after us. I was incredibly thankful to have it while applying for medical school, and I'd like to see it be just as valuable for residency.

/Public Service Announcement :D

The number of EM responses isn't exactly robust. We do have The Mother of All Residency Reviews Stickies, though.

So I'm confused, If you have at least one SLOE, programs will review you even though all of them say you need at least three to be "complete"? I'll have one SLOE by end of Sept and can fill the rest with good 3rd year ones but wondering if I should wait until end of Oct to get another SLOE in to make it 2 SLOE and 1 regular LOR.

So I'm confused, If you have at least one SLOE, programs will review you even though all of them say you need at least three to be "complete"? I'll have one SLOE by end of Sept and can fill the rest with good 3rd year ones but wondering if I should wait until end of Oct to get another SLOE in to make it 2 SLOE and 1 regular LOR.

Why not 2 LOR and 1 SLOE now and then add your second SLOE whenever it rolls in. We can have 4 total.

MSPEs tomorrow - hopefully the invites start coming in like they have already for other specialties...

Assuming you get them tomorrow that is... :rolleyes:
My school's response when I asked yesterday (Sept 30th) if mine would be up and if I could review it before it was posted...
"Your letter is completed.
XXXXX (The ERAS secretary for the school, name omitted) has your letter and will be sending it to you to look over in the next day or two. You will be able to see it before it is uploaded live. Remember, Dean’s letters or LOR may not be posted exactly tomorrow. Your invitations for interviews are not determined by whether or not all of your information is posted or not."

Apparently they have not dealt with EM programs if that is their view :mad: