Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also came to the sad conclusion that I wouldn't want to interview me either.

I'd interview you.

Seriously, there are probably actual cookie cutters that look more interesting on paper. Much like Milhouse, my mom says I'm cool. If only she had influence in this process.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm likely applying strictly AOA. Does anyone know if programs will setup an interview if you only have one SLOR and one non-EM letter? Or do most programs wait until all of the required letters have been received?

Thanks

I'm likely applying strictly AOA. Does anyone know if programs will setup an interview if you only have one SLOR and one non-EM letter? Or do most programs wait until all of the required letters have been received?

Thanks

Yes you can setup AOA interviews without a SLOR or EM letter uploaded to ERAS. I have a few setup in this exact context.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can setup AOA interviews without a SLOR or EM letter uploaded to ERAS. I have a few setup in this exact context.

Good to know since my first LOR (non-EM) just got uploaded. I just got done lining up 2 EM letters though.

I am also starting to agonize over my letters. I had it set up so that I would have 2 SLOEs and 1 letter by the 15th but it is 5 days prior (3 of which I think actually count since I don't think any uploading will happen over the weekend).

Do you think any PD's will look on Sunday? It's the weekend.... :scared:

I am also starting to agonize over my letters. I had it set up so that I would have 2 SLOEs and 1 letter by the 15th but it is 5 days prior (3 of which I think actually count since I don't think any uploading will happen over the weekend).

You can see who downloaded your app. Many had downloaded it on Sunday. I've heard some people say that this is done automatically (have NO idea whether or not this is true). Also told that some have their chiefs go in and do it on Sunday. Anyone in the know is more than welcome to chime in. Many people (maybe 1/4 of the programs where I applied) had downloaded my app on Sunday. Most (1/2) had downloaded it on Monday or tuesday. The remainder trickled in over the next week or two.

I got my first two interview invites on Monday around noon, then two more that thursday. After getting four in the first four days, I thought they would start pouring in.......they didn't.

I got a TON of interviews, but after that initial burst, there was a lull in invites. It got uncomfortably quiet. And most of my friends didn't get any in the first week.

This is a super stressful time where you put way too much stock in everything. Some people will get invites from programs that you haven't heard back from, and you'll assume that they don't want you and you won't get an invite.....then you'll get an invite. Some places you'll just know you're a lock.....and you'll get waitlisted. Just wait, the invites will come

As easy as it is to say from this side, just try to relax and enjoy the process. It's a very stressful time, but just remember to breathe.

Were the applications complete on Sept 15th last year? I know Dean's letters are not available until Oct 1st this year, and I was told programs would not be downloading applications until then

I'm also only applying to the AOA and there is no mention about needing SLORs (SLOEs) for any of the programs I am looking at.

I am pretty sure that the SLOE is mainly for the allopathic side.

I have two ER LORs, and I am pretty sure none of them are a SLOE, and I already got one interview.

I was also told that no-one looks at ERAS until the MPSE Dean's letter comes out, October 1st.

Then there is also the matter of ACEP conference October 11-17. So maybe not even until after the ACEP conference.

Good to know since my first LOR (non-EM) just got uploaded. I just got done lining up 2 EM letters though.

...and just to update this, 1 non-EM in, already have an EM interview 1 day later.

I just got terrible news. After getting high pass and honors on 14 rotations I get my eval today from my 2nd EM away and it's a marginal pass. I'm devastated and I don't understand. I got positive feedback from all of my evaluating attendings and worked my arse off.

Now I don't feel like I can use the SLOR I've already asked for and I certainly won't be going there to interview.

Feeling sick.

I just got terrible news. After getting high pass and honors on 14 rotations I get my eval today from my 2nd EM away and it's a marginal pass. I'm devastated and I don't understand. I got positive feedback from all of my evaluating attendings and worked my arse off.

Now I don't feel like I can use the SLOR I've already asked for and I certainly won't be going there to interview.

Feeling sick.

Whats marginal pass?

Also for the poster above idk what to think all these ppl getting interviews are DOs so I wonder for the MD match how quickly after we'll get interviews.

Feeling sick.

Not using the SLOE will likely worsen the situation. Grades are a crap shoot.

Members don't see this ad :)

Feeling sick.

What are your other stats and how was your 1st EM grade?

What are your other stats and how was your 1st EM grade?

My first away EM grade was great: 93%. I have a SLOR coming from that program and a personal letter from the program director as well as an interview there.

I've also submitted an excellent personal letter from the Assistant Director of Family Medicine Program at my home hospital. Clinical grades have been good; between 87 and 97%. More A's than B's but pretty evenly split.

COMLEX was okay: 523 and 521.

Preclinical grades are flat C's except for a handful of miscellaneous A's and B's.

I've gone out of my way to become an EMT, AAEM committee member, ABLS (burns) certified, Medical Reserve Corps active member. I get a nice haircut every two weeks and if you tell me I stink I'll thank you for letting me know.

So then out of the blue this rotation gives me a 79%.

??

I was also told that no-one looks at ERAS until the MPSE Dean's letter comes out, October 1st.

Then there is also the matter of ACEP conference October 11-17. So maybe not even until after the ACEP conference.

This is partially true. I was told by a program director that there was an agreement in place by a lot of schools to not offer any invitations until after the dean's letter comes out.

That being said, i think i got 3 or 4 interviews prior to that day but for the most part i would not anticipate any invitations sent out before Oct. 1. At least do not fret if you are not hearing anything.

Similarly, expect a lull during the ACEP conference.

Someone was asking about when PDs will download the applications. It's highly variable and highly personal. I know one PD told me that s/he was so curious that s/he couldn't wait and started going through them the day it opened. Others didn't bother until dean's letter was out.

Buffy, i'm in the same boat. Plan was to have 2 sloes + 1 IM letter by 9/15, but looks like it'll just be 1 sloe + IM. Aways that were completed in June/July who obv know we're going into EM & counting on their sloe's should get their act together. Not uploading by 9/15 is unprofessional on their part and frustrating for us:thumbdown:

Buffy, i'm in the same boat. Plan was to have 2 sloes + 1 IM letter by 9/15, but looks like it'll just be 1 sloe + IM. Aways that were completed in June/July who obv know we're going into EM & counting on their sloe's should get their act together. Not uploading by 9/15 is unprofessional on their part and frustrating for us:thumbdown:

i double dog dare you to call them out on it

I know what you mean but apparently my school only uploads 3rd year transcripts. So maybe not??

I think your fine since you are going aoa which is just now using sloes and even that is sporadic. I do wonder if programs will want to know your core EM grade though?

My plan was 1 SLOE and 1 EM LOR by 9/15... Now it looks like the SLOE will be late, despite my very friendly and polite reminders. It's already 7 weeks since the rotation was completed, and I worked my butt off and honored it. I'm practically fuming. This is unprofessional.

Last edited:
My plan was 1 SLOE and 1 EM LOR by 9/15... Now it looks like the SLOE will be late, despite my very friendly and polite reminders. It's already 7 weeks since the rotation was completed, and I worked my butt off and honored it. I'm practically fuming. This is unprofessional.

Get back to us when you're 12 weeks since the end of your rotation and you're told just last week that "they are just now meeting to discuss the "strategy" for the SLOEs". THAT is frustrating. Having ZERO letters at this moment when you've completed 3 aways already starting in June... that's downright mind numbing cuz right now my application means zip, zero, NADA without a single letter. I think almost 3 months is long enough...

zero EM letters here too and still no grade yet from my first rotation...it sucks but I'm sure everything will work out in the end. :thumbup:

(you all aren't alone)

Get back to us when you're 12 weeks since the end of your rotation and you're told just last week that "they are just now meeting to discuss the "strategy" for the SLOEs". THAT is frustrating. Having ZERO letters at this moment when you've completed 3 aways already starting in June... that's downright mind numbing cuz right now my application means zip, zero, NADA without a single letter. I think almost 3 months is long enough...

oh god. That's awful. I'm sorry.

What is the best strategy here for people who don't have any SLOEs yet? Should we send our apps on Sunday and add them later?

Either the programs writing me SLOEs are planning on uploading tomorrow, or they are going to miss their own "early September" deadlines.
What's the deal with this? Is it just my (our) experience or has this become the new norm... to take way longer than they say they will and not be ready for release day? I don't get it... EVERY meeting I had with PDs, APDs, etc all said "apply early and have your app in the first day they are released" but how are we supposed to do this if we do our part and everyone else does NOT do theirs? I just don't get it...

What's the deal with this? Is it just my (our) experience or has this become the new norm... to take way longer than they say they will and not be ready for release day? I don't get it... EVERY meeting I had with PDs, APDs, etc all said "apply early and have your app in the first day they are released" but how are we supposed to do this if we do our part and everyone else does NOT do theirs? I just don't get it...

You know, I am going to spin this positively for us. Clearly, the delay in SLOEs indicates these programs' desire to retain us as residents. By delaying our SLOEs, they create a disadvantaged environment for us, slightly reducing our odds of matching at another program.

it's not just your experience. it was the same way last year and most likely the year before that as well. just continue to be politely (emphasis on polite) persistent. it ended up working out for everyone who had issues and it will work out for you as well.

get the parts of your app in that you have. the PDs know that not everything will be in on the first day and they understand that things will be added in.

it's normal to worry, i can't tell you not to because i did last year. but hindsight tells me that it worked out just fine and i wish i just enjoyed the process more.

The nausea is setting in.

3pmxpn.jpg

I'm feeling frustrated. I have no letters uploaded yet!!!! I have sent kind reminders and got the following responses (all from away EM rotations ive done): 1. it will be another month, expect it in October 2. I can't get it in by Sept15 but ill try my best for shortly after that 3. It will be in by Sept 15 (but its still not there). Anyways, submitting my app this sunday with no letters

Anyone else in my same boat with NO letters? I'd like to hear about it because it secretly makes me feel less alone about all this!!!

Anyone else in my same boat with NO letters? I'd like to hear about it because it secretly makes me feel less alone about all this!!!

I have 1 non-EM letter (cardiology rotation) and no EM letters at this point. I'm using the non-EM on my DO applications, but am planning on using 4 EM letters for my ACGME application. I just finished my first EM rotation on Friday and got 2 LORs from it. Obviously, they're not in yet.

What about transcripts? My school has been slow to update mine. So i apply without it or wait 2-3 days so it is complete?

What about transcripts? My school has been slow to update mine. So i apply without it or wait 2-3 days so it is complete?

What/where are the transcripts are you talking about? I've never seen the word transcript on ERAS except where it talks about USMLE/COMLEX "transcript" but that's not your school and if you wait for that you'll be waiting forever... that's your board score transcripts and are released when you pay... it's part of the application fee paid. Are you talking about something else, and if so, under which tab did you find it?

What/where are the transcripts are you talking about? I've never seen the word transcript on ERAS except where it talks about USMLE/COMLEX "transcript" but that's not your school and if you wait for that you'll be waiting forever... that's your board score transcripts and are released when you pay... it's part of the application fee paid. Are you talking about something else, and if so, under which tab did you find it?
We got a message from our dean the other day about releasing transcripts to ERAS. Our dean's letter only covers 3rd year, so I guess PD need a transcript to see how you do during your EM rotations 4th year.

Has anyone figured out if you submit an incomplete application early or complete application later? I'm in the it's been 8 wks since my 1st EM rotation and still no SLOE and I won't get one from my current externship until the end of Sept. I want to submit today, but don't want it to be thrown in an incomplete pile and it being too late by the time they look at it again.

We got a message from our dean the other day about releasing transcripts to ERAS. Our dean's letter only covers 3rd year, so I guess PD need a transcript to see how you do during your EM rotations 4th year.

Has anyone figured out if you submit an incomplete application early or complete application later? I'm in the it's been 8 wks since my 1st EM rotation and still no SLOE and I won't get one from my current externship until the end of Sept. I want to submit today, but don't want it to be thrown in an incomplete pile and it being too late by the time they look at it again.

FWIW, I submitted today even though none of my 3 letters are in right now. One of them is done and in the hands of his secretary who should upload it tomorrow, but my home department SLOR is slated to come out by the end of September and I'm just starting my rotation for my 3rd letter (late, unfortunately).

I was told by my advisers to go ahead and submit and just send in LoRs as they become available.

I'm submitting with no SLOE until end of September since I was a late switch. Hopefully what I hear about no one looking at apps until Oct/ACEP conference better be true!

So I submitted my app with no med school transcript (Waiting for away grade) and only 1 SLOE. From reading other posts, i'm relieved i'm not alone but then i was wondering how programs know when I upload other SLOE and the transcript..

I'm thinking programs download my app see no transcript, throw it in incomplete file never to come back to it. Hopefully there's like a alert system that lets programs know that candidates had uploaded new documents. :eek:

I'm two weeks into an away rotation today. Bumped into the PD at shift change, I mentioned that I submitted today but without any SLORs yet and asked if that would be a problem. He said "nah, you'll get one from here!" -- he didn't know that I had done a July away that I'm waiting on a SLOR from. So he was really laid back about it. Didn't seem concerned at all.

Last edited:
So I submitted my app with no med school transcript (Waiting for away grade) and only 1 SLOE. From reading other posts, i'm relieved i'm not alone but then i was wondering how programs know when I upload other SLOE and the transcript..

I'm thinking programs download my app see no transcript, throw it in incomplete file never to come back to it. Hopefully there's like a alert system that lets programs know that candidates had uploaded new documents. :eek:

there is an alert for PDs to see when applications are updated.

good luck everyone! see you when you come my way!

only 1 LOR (non EM)...still waiting on 2 SLOEs from first program and will be getting one after this rotation (2 weeks in).

Good luck yal! I look forward to meeting you guys on the trail.

May the odds forever be in our favor! :D :)scared:)

I was wondering, how do programs know our EM grades for rotations since they typically won't appear on our transcript at the time of our application.

Does our school just update the grades as they come?

Applicants, isn't it crazy that some programs already downloaded us today!?! And that some of them started at 10am! These PD's are intense!

Agreed. Hope we don't get "tossed out" due to lack of SLOEs- specially from aways that were meant to display an interest in a particular region to other PDs of that region:xf:

I am noticing an earlier time stamp for USMLE transcript on ALL the apps that have been downloaded. Some only downloaded the transcript and nothing else. On the ones that downloaded all, it shows a delay of 30 minutes to 2 hours until the application, etc is downloaded.

Are they screening based on step score and only downloading the other after seeing your score?

Last edited:
I am noticing an earlier time stamp for USMLE transcript on ALL the apps that have been downloaded. Some only downloaded the transcript and nothing else. On the ones that downloaded all, it shows a delay of 30 minutes to 2 hours until the application, etc is downloaded.

Are they screening based on step score and only downloading the other after seeing your score?

I've been thinking the same thing. There is only one program so far that downloaded anything other than the USMLE first. In fact one program downloaded my board scores last night, and waited until today for the rest of the app.

I've been thinking the same thing. There is only one program so far that downloaded anything other than the USMLE first. In fact one program downloaded my board scores last night, and waited until today for the rest of the app.

Ditto. Had two programs d/l my app early in the morning before my USMLE txp was available and they downloaded the whole app first, but everyone else has downloaded my USMLE transcript and then waited for a period of time before d/ling the rest of the app.

Dunno if they're screening or just want to make sure you have a passing score? Odd.

And illegallysmooth, I think we applied to the same program -- I had one do that to me also =P.

EDIT: confirmed not true -- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1033076

I guess we're all a bit paranoid. I still haven't kicked that slightly nauseated feeling from when I pressed "Submit" yesterday...

Last edited:
So i submitted my application to all my programs and had a few questions...

The program director at the programs I am rotating at took a look at my personal statement and told me to change a few things around.

Is it ok to re-do my personal statement and select the new one?