Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I guess I'll throw my hat into the "What are my chances" pile.
Briefly, worked 6ish years post college in the healthcare system. Finally applied, ended up going to a Caribbean school, one of the 2 largest ones. Medical school GPA: 3.95. All honors in clinicals so far including one EM rotation. Step 1 255, CS pass, CK 250. 2 good LORs, one SLOE from the aforementioned EM, currently in a 2nd EM rotation that I will ask for a 2nd SLOE. Plenty of volunteer, extracurricular, service, and leadership throughout medical school. No publications or research. Plan to apply broadly, as EM is increasing competitive. Obviously I am worried about my IMG status. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a High pass for my home institution and now very :scared: about my capabilities to match. I feel awful.

In order to get an SLOE is an emergency medicine clerkship a must? Or can I do a related elective like Toxicology and get the SLOE?

Members don't see this ad :)
SLOE can only come from an accredited EM department. You'll need the clerkship. You can, of course, submit a reference letter from your Tox attending but it can't be a SLOE.

But in all seriousness, I heard from a PD that it was low 230s last year. That being said, I personally know someone with a 200 who got in to a great program that same cycle.

And hi, everyone. I'm applying EM this year, too :hello:

Yeah, EM is not strictly a number's game like I mentioned in the other thread. I know some of those as well (maybe not a 200 but 210). But, I also know some that had 230+s and didnt get in.

From what I have gathered, I believe you need around that 230. And then have all the other stuff (good letters, clinicals, aways, and not be a tool)

I swear it seems like every other person I know plans on EM or is thinking about it.

Yet another EM-er checking in. Albeit late.

Scrambling into an away as quickly as possible (although have one EM rotation under my belt at my home school) - anybody have any good/bad experiences? (though I don't expect anyone to discuss bad experiences on here, a PM would be greatly appreciated!)

Yet another EM-er checking in. Albeit late.

Scrambling into an away as quickly as possible (although have one EM rotation under my belt at my home school) - anybody have any good/bad experiences? (though I don't expect anyone to discuss bad experiences on here, a PM would be greatly appreciated!)

Nice avatar, Spike.

Power of Kung Food ?

Sup guys, also applying EM. Can a new SLOE be updated to all programs via ERAS post-9/15?

I wish you all safe travels and hope that you match in the program where you are destined to be.

I'm sure this probably has been asked but will programs still review you if you have LORS but no SLOE or will they wait for at least one SLOE before sending any invites? I'm a late switcher so the earliest away I could get was Sept, so my letter will be anytime after unfortunately.

I'm sure this probably has been asked but will programs still review you if you have LORS but no SLOE or will they wait for at least one SLOE before sending any invites? I'm a late switcher so the earliest away I could get was Sept, so my letter will be anytime after unfortunately.

It depends on the program. Most usually like to see a SLOE. But if you are a competitive applicant they might take LORs instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't find a good answer to this: How many letter's can I submit to a given program? I believe I read somewhere it's 4 and now I can't find that information.

i can't find a good answer to this: How many letter's can i submit to a given program? I believe i read somewhere it's 4 and now i can't find that information.

So any takers on their opinion of FREIDA, specifically the minimum score to interview? Any PDs on here, please comment.

SLOE can only come from an accredited EM department. You'll need the clerkship. You can, of course, submit a reference letter from your Tox attending but it can't be a SLOE.

On a sort of related topic, would doing a toxicology rotation later in the application cycle (October-November) have any influence on my application to the EM program at that site? I'm applying next year and thinking about how to plan out my audition rotations, thanks :)

Nice avatar, Spike.

Power of Kung Food ?

Thanks - you know it. I thought I was looking at patches of reality, like a dream. Before the dream was over, I woke up. Or something.

Are there any current residents, attendings, faculty, program directors, students or janitors here that know a good personal statement when they read one and would be willing to provide feedback on mine?

On a sort of related topic, would doing a toxicology rotation later in the application cycle (October-November) have any influence on my application to the EM program at that site? I'm applying next year and thinking about how to plan out my audition rotations, thanks :)

That's kind of late for the app cycle, especially November... if you do it that late, it may bump you onto the interview list if you weren't already; but any LOR you get probably won't be there in time for the first cut.

That said, I loved my tox rotation and it really cemented my desire to be a toxicologist. Plus, I matched residency there too (#1 choice).

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I'm a fourth-year DO student who'd like some honest opinions. I'm a fairly average student for the most part: USMLE Step 1 (224) and Step 2 (221), COMLEX Level 1 (616) with Level 2 pending, no research/publications, couple volunteer experiences, mix of pass/high pass clinical grades, average pre-clinical grades. An overall unremarkable application.

What are my realistic chances of matching at an allopathic EM program? I have a couple audition rotations set up at programs in the midwest. If I were to forgo the DO match, how many programs should I apply to? How many interviews should I expect to get? If I only receive a handful of interviews (< 6), should I consider applying to DO programs as well (DO match is before the MD match, so I'd be out of the NRMP match if I matched DO)? I plan on applying mainly to programs in the midwest and southeast.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

With that high of a COMLEX I would not skip the DO match. I think that is well above 90%ile. There are some really good DO ER programs. Apply to only the ones you would want, and then do the rest MD.

As an aside, that score profile is exactly why I didn't take the USMLE.

A little late to the party here, but yet another EM applicant. DO, applying AOA only.

I'm a little unclear about the 'unofficial' timelines for the application process. When do interview invites start going out? And when are interviews scheduled? I'm also looking at basically doing audition rotations for the remainder of the year, but I'm wondering if I should even bother in December if rank lists will be finalized by then (or, alternately, if doing another one in January could potentially be helpful).

Thanks...

A little late to the party here, but yet another EM applicant. DO, applying AOA only.

I'm a little unclear about the 'unofficial' timelines for the application process. When do interview invites start going out? And when are interviews scheduled? I'm also looking at basically doing audition rotations for the remainder of the year, but I'm wondering if I should even bother in December if rank lists will be finalized by then (or, alternately, if doing another one in January could potentially be helpful).

Thanks...

I'm slightly in the same situation since I started my EM rotations late (starting week 3 of 4 for my first EM rotation now). I've got 2 more away auditions set up, but I'm finding it hard to justify Nov->December and December->January rotations both because they're rather late in timing AND I'm going to hopefully be traveling for interviews during that time period (I'd rather not have to take time off from an audition rotation). So I've pretty much declined any Nov-Dec and Dec-Jan rotations.

Also, when I was setting up my aways a couple of months ago the advice I came across in several places was not to overload on away rotations. 2 is good, 3 if you really need to, but no more than 3 aways. After all, we can do up to 5 audition rotations (flexible core or ARMC core rotation plus 16 weeks of elective rotations in any one specialty), but 20 weeks of EM during 4th year is a bit overkill.

I'm slightly in the same situation since I started my EM rotations late (starting week 3 of 4 for my first EM rotation now). I've got 2 more away auditions set up, but I'm finding it hard to justify Nov->December and December->January rotations both because they're rather late in timing AND I'm going to hopefully be traveling for interviews during that time period (I'd rather not have to take time off from an audition rotation). So I've pretty much declined any Nov-Dec and Dec-Jan rotations.

Also, when I was setting up my aways a couple of months ago the advice I came across in several places was not to overload on away rotations. 2 is good, 3 if you really need to, but no more than 3 aways. After all, we can do up to 5 audition rotations (flexible core or ARMC core rotation plus 16 weeks of elective rotations in any one specialty), but 20 weeks of EM during 4th year is a bit overkill.

Yeah, I'm also 2 weeks into my core EM rotation (unfortunately a non-audition, but still a great place for EM and should result in a solid SLOE). I've got my first audition in 2 weeks, and I've got things in the works for Oct/Nov, Nov/Dec and December. I'd love to do an easy rotation or take time off at that point, but unfortunately a) I would really like to do more than one audition, b) I'm a little off track and can't take time off if I want to match this year, and c) my people skills are probably the strongest part of my application, and I need to get those out there to make up for some of the weaknesses in my application.

And really, 16 weeks + Core EM? They kept saying it was 12 weeks, not including core. That would make my life easier, thought I was going to have to switch one of my auditions to IM or something and shadow while I was there.

Not sure if there's another thread for this somewhere, but am curious if people have started to formulate a list of EM programs to apply to for ERAS 2013-2014? I'm personally flexible on geography, but really am looking for a large county-style Level 1 trauma center. Here's my preliminary list of places (only in alphabetical order) that look appealing (based on my research and word of mouth), but I'm probably missing some, and still need to do more research. Any thoughts?

BIDMC
Carolinas - Charlotte
Christ Medical Center
Cook County
Denver Health
George Washington University Program
Harbor-UCLA
Highland
LAC-USC
Lincoln NYC
Maricopa
Maryland
MGH-BWH
New York Presbyterian
Northwestern
NYU
OHSU
SUNY Downstate
UCSD
UCSF-Fresno
UCSF-San Francisco
UIC
UNLV
University of Washington

MGH and Northwestern are far from county-style. They're more like hotel-style.

And really, 16 weeks + Core EM? They kept saying it was 12 weeks, not including core. That would make my life easier, thought I was going to have to switch one of my auditions to IM or something and shadow while I was there.

Maybe NWT is different, but I just checked the rotations manual and it said 16 weeks, core doesn't count.

I have to plug my program. Just as much if not more trauma than some of the programs listed plus a stroke and cardiac center performing interventions not done anywhere else. Just a thought.
University at Buffalo EM!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Not sure if there's another thread for this somewhere, but am curious if people have started to formulate a list of EM programs to apply to for ERAS 2013-2014? I'm personally flexible on geography, but really am looking for a large county-style Level 1 trauma center. Here's my preliminary list of places (only in alphabetical order) that look appealing (based on my research and word of mouth), but I'm probably missing some, and still need to do more research. Any thoughts?

BIDMC
Carolinas - Charlotte
Christ Medical Center
Cook County
Denver Health
George Washington University Program
Harbor-UCLA
Highland
LAC-USC
Lincoln NYC
Maricopa
Maryland
MGH-BWH
New York Presbyterian
Northwestern
NYU
OHSU
SUNY Downstate
UCSD
UCSF-Fresno
UCSF-San Francisco
UIC
UNLV
University of Washington

Add Emory, UF Jax, Jacobi, BMC

I wouldn't include BWH/MGH, Carolinas and BIDMC. I think all three are strong programs, but not county. BIDMC may be county-ish, but it's probably more on the academic side than what you're looking for.

With that high of a COMLEX I would not skip the DO match. I think that is well above 90%ile. There are some really good DO ER programs. Apply to only the ones you would want, and then do the rest MD.

As an aside, that score profile is exactly why I didn't take the USMLE.
Thanks for the response. The reason for my dilemma is that I am primarily interested in allopathic EM programs (I have my reasons, geography being one of them). I'd prefer to forgo the DO match but I risk going unmatched in the MD match when I could've had a decent shot at some DO programs. I feel like I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I only did the MD match with average to below average USMLE scores (224/221) and went unmatched. I'm hoping someone could give me advice in regards to my ability to match MD EM. I'm applying to 45-50 MD programs primarily in the midwest and Texas. What's the least number of MD interviews I should expect to get to comfortably forgo the DO match?

Maybe NWT is different, but I just checked the rotations manual and it said 16 weeks, core doesn't count.

Hmm. I'll check with our rotations office, thanks.

Thanks for the response. The reason for my dilemma is that I am primarily interested in allopathic EM programs (I have my reasons, geography being one of them). I'd prefer to forgo the DO match but I risk going unmatched in the MD match when I could've had a decent shot at some DO programs. I feel like I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I only did the MD match with average to below average USMLE scores (224/221) and went unmatched. I'm hoping someone could give me advice in regards to my ability to match MD EM. I'm applying to 45-50 MD programs primarily in the midwest and Texas. What's the least number of MD interviews I should expect to get to comfortably forgo the DO match?

I would suggest 60+ programs.

Your scores are solid. Pending no red flags on your app, you're in the top 1/2 of your class, you have some SLOEs (Not just regular LORs) and apply broadly 45-60 and net ~15 interviews you should be able to match allo. Or at least that's about the ball park I would feel comfortable skipping the DO match for. Fellow fourth year so take it FWIW.

I wouldn't include BWH/MGH, Carolinas and BIDMC. I think all three are strong programs, but not county. BIDMC may be county-ish, but it's probably more on the academic side than what you're looking for.

Agree with this.

Also add HCMC, Georgetown, and Temple. Great places that are largely county but with some legit resources and solid nursing (ie you won't be pushing pts to CT). Each also has academic stuff if you want it.

Agree - Harvard and "county" should never be used in the same sentence.

Ten days till apps open, ridiculous! I'm having some trouble ensuring my PS fits on 1 pg for PDs. Word-count: 841. Is printing via "Print PS" on ERAS a correct assessment? It has all these tabs showing on the top/wasting space though...

Also, I know that 3 v 4 year training is debatable...but I'd love to hear some views from fellow-applicants/residents/attendings.
Besides having strong inclination towards a particular 4yr program, any other reason to favor PGY1-4 programs?
From what I've heard during 3 sub-Is: In general, 3yrs + fellowship >> 4yrs

Ten days till apps open, ridiculous! I'm having some trouble ensuring my PS fits on 1 pg for PDs. Word-count: 841. Is printing via "Print PS" on ERAS a correct assessment? It has all these tabs showing on the top/wasting space though...
our school told us it prints out in courier new 10pt font...after typing mine in times new roman 12pt I had to find a way to slice a paragraph from mine. that was fun

So- input on this would be appreciated.

DO student, research experience, took USMLE step I and got a 245, step II in 2 weeks.

I just had my first ER rotation last month and LOVED it....doctors loved me, I did great at it, and I got 2 LOR from 2 different doctors there....and I decided to switch from Allo-IM to Allo-ER. Just now, looking over programs I'd be applying to I saw this "SLOR" thing come up, and I'd never heard of it.

I don't have a residency-program ER rotation scheduled at all in my 4th year- and have no idea how I'd get one in time?

Any solution around this- or am I pretty much boned?

DO student, research experience, took USMLE step I and got a 245, step II in 2 weeks.

I just had my first ER rotation last month and LOVED it....doctors loved me, I did great at it, and I got 2 LOR from 2 different doctors there....and I decided to switch from Allo-IM to Allo-ER. Just now, looking over programs I'd be applying to I saw this "SLOR" thing come up, and I'd never heard of it.

I don't have a residency-program ER rotation scheduled at all in my 4th year- and have no idea how I'd get one in time?

Do you have any rotations at a hospital that has an EM residency? You may be able to spend your days off (or evenings, for that matter) shadowing with someone in the EM. The hours will be limited, and depending on the rotation you're actually on, you may drive yourself a little crazy. But I think if you explain your situation and are up-front with your expectations, I think working closely with a resident/attending for 2-3 shifts would be enough for them to form an opinion of your skills. If there's not a residency program wherever you are, then see if there is one within a reasonable difference. If you're hundreds of miles away... well, plan a weekend trip, or just stick with the regular letter and see what happens. Good luck to you!

Also, I know that 3 v 4 year training is debatable...but I'd love to hear some views from fellow-applicants/residents/attendings.
Besides having strong inclination towards a particular 4yr program, any other reason to favor PGY1-4 programs?
From what I've heard during 3 sub-Is: In general, 3yrs + fellowship >> 4yrs

Bump.

Also, has everyone finalized their program-list? *struggling*
One week!

As a DO you need a QUALITY(not from some of the community based hospitals associated with your school) slor from a residency program. I would try to find a way to do an EM rotation urgently to get it.

Also remember one great EM rotation is not how all residencies will be. I can say being on month four of EM I have loved some programs as well as been at some that made me think otherwise...

Bump.

Also, has everyone finalized their program-list? *struggling*
One week!

I still have almost no idea which programs should go on my list.

My personal statement is **** and incomplete. It has lines like *insert good sentence here* all over the page.

I read my CV in ERAS and thought it looked so boring, I wouldn't even interview me.

I still have almost no idea which programs should go on my list.

My personal statement is **** and incomplete. It has lines like *insert good sentence here* all over the page.

I read my CV in ERAS and thought it looked so boring, I wouldn't even interview me.

I also came to the sad conclusion that I wouldn't want to interview me either.