Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applied to a lot!!! But don't limit yourself, better to have options and then cancel.

Interviewed at 12. Cancelled 2 interviews.

Ranked all of them.

Matched #3

Step 1: 231
Step 2 : 238

Didnt take step 2 until oct 30 and I don't think it hurt me. But I didn't get my first SLOR uploaded until October 24 and that definitely hurt me. IMO its more important to ensure a SLOR in time for ERAS than to take step 2. And I did have research, not published though.

Members don't see this ad.

Applied to 29
Invited to 25
Interviewed at 12
Matched at #1

Step 1: 230
Step 2: 262 (took it in June)
I had a variety of EM clinical research involvement (enrolling patients in a few big studies) but no papers/posters in my name. I was asked about it a few times but don't think it made much of a difference in my application. However, I did get a great letter from a big name in EM who was one of my mentors and the lead author on one of the big NIH studies I helped out with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey been following this thread. Congrats to all those who matched. Belleza mentioned that their sloe was uploaded oct 24, which is late. What's considered an acceptable time to have it submitted ?

Congratulations, but, boy howdy - how nervous were you? Declining more invitations than you accepted? Wow...gutsy move, man! Playing the numbers, you beat the odds.

Haha, it looks worse on paper than it really was. I certainly wouldn't advise it for every applicant but it was a very unique situation for me and I knew exactly what I wanted (and where for that matter) before even making the decision to come back to medical school. I chose my interviews very carefully and deliberately and ended up being courted by my top 3 ranks. It obviously freaks out the SDN crowd, but in real life I dont think it was that gutsy of a move. Like I've said multiple times, its all about knowing what you want and going after it. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey been following this thread. Congrats to all those who matched. Belleza mentioned that their sloe was uploaded oct 24, which is late. What's considered an acceptable time to have it submitted ?

You should have at least one SLOE in when the application opens if at all possible. The sooner you have all your letters in the better (like within a couple weeks of the app being submitted if at all possible).

You should have at least one SLOE in when the application opens if at all possible. The sooner you have all your letters in the better (like within a couple weeks of the app being submitted if at all possible).
Thank you. Applications typically open mid September right? I tried really hard to make sure my first rotation was an ACGME rotation to get a SLOE. I just realized that the program doesn't accept DOs directly because they first spend a year doing an internship somewhere else before going into said ACGME program. I just hope I don't run into the same situation like that person who rotated somewhere and then got an SLOE that said would not rank.

Thank you. Applications typically open mid September right? I tried really hard to make sure my first rotation was an ACGME rotation to get a SLOE. I just realized that the program doesn't accept DOs directly because they first spend a year doing an internship somewhere else before going into said ACGME program. I just hope I don't run into the same situation like that person who rotated somewhere and then got an SLOE that said would not rank.
Lol, my situation seems to be famous now. Don't worry about that... MANY people commented how good the SLOE was and understood that the reason it said "would not rank" was the whole DO thing. Didn't effect me negatively on any interview I went on. Did it effect me on any that I applied to and saw it say that? Dunno... maybe, but I did alright anyways

Applied to too many

Invited to too many

Went on 14. Ranked them all.

Happy with my match.

Step 2 taken in July. I say take it early, even with a good step 1.

Very minor premed research. No publications.

Last edited:
DO applicant who also applied to AOA programs, but as far as ACGME goes:

Applied: 30; wish I would have applied to more and wasn't so regionally biased to the midwest.

Invites: 6

Interviews: 6

Ranked: All 6

Matched: #1

Step 1/Comlex 1: 217/539

Comlex 2: 585

In my case, getting two strong SLOE's from rotations at well known programs was what helped me. One of these was from where I matched. I admit, I don't look like a strong applicant by SDN standards. If I would have taken Step 2 of USMLE would I have gotten more interviews? Perhaps, but I ended up at my top program in the end. Having a few more ACGME programs to rank would have made me feel a whole lot more comfortable about withdrawing from the AOA match though. I had zero research. I had a few leadership positions in years 1 and 2, and was active at EM conferences. That's my story.

Couples match: EM-IM

Applied: ~50
Invited: ~30
Wait-listed: 3
Interviewed: 17
Ranked: 17

S.O. is a highly competitive IM applicant who definitely helped me land some interviews. Any lurking third years planning to couples match, feel free to PM me with Q's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Couples match: EM-IM

Applied: ~50
Invited: ~30
Wait-listed: 3
Interviewed: 17
Ranked: 17

Step1: 220's
Step2: 230's (July)

S.O. is a highly competitive IM applicant who definitely helped me land some interviews. Any lurking third years planning to couples match, feel free to PM me with Q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any EM forum moderators that wouldn't mind posting anonymous residency reviews? Been trying to track down a moderator with no luck...

Are there any EM forum moderators that wouldn't mind posting anonymous residency reviews? Been trying to track down a moderator with no luck...
You don't really "need" a mod to do it... any one of the members of the forum can add it to the pertinent thread with the disclaimer at the top "Added for a user/applicant who wished to remain anonymous". If nothing else I'm sure TimesNewRoman would do it since he worked on adding lists anonymously to the rank order thread. If all else fails I guess I can do it for you or whoever wants to do that as well.

*edit- or RxnMan can do it, lol!

Applied: 50
Interview Invites: 8
Interviewed: 8
Matched: #5

COMLEX Level 1: low 600
COMLEX/USMLE Step 2: 520/240

No EM Research. TONS of leadership work ( served on a national student medical board). Good SLOE from my first audition rotation. Took Step 2 early (end of July), since I did not have a USMLE Step 1 score

Applied: 50
Interview Invites: 8
Interviewed: 8
Matched: #5

COMLEX Level 1: low 600
COMLEX/USMLE Step 2: 520/240

No EM Research. TONS of leadership work ( served on a national student medical board). Good SLOE from my first audition rotation. Took Step 2 early (end of July), since I did not have a USMLE Step 1 score
Dude, congrats on matching! But 50 programs? Can you elaborate how many were AOA/ACGME/Dual? How did you keep calm with 8 interviews out of 50 applications? Your numbers are awesome. Was it because you only had one SLOE? Did you submit late? Did you not rotate at any of the AOA programs? Thanks in advance!

Dude, congrats on matching! But 50 programs? Can you elaborate how many were AOA/ACGME/Dual? How did you keep calm with 8 interviews out of 50 applications? Your numbers are awesome. Was it because you only had one SLOE? Did you submit late? Did you not rotate at any of the AOA programs? Thanks in advance!

He killed a man. Half-buried him in the desert. Let the buzzards do the rest.

It was a really strange personal statement, to say the least.

Yet he still matched. Interesting field we are in...

Hmm... I'm sensing that you're hinting that this was a problem. I mean who hasn't done this though (once or twice at least) so I'm sure there was something else...

Yup, killed a man, he came back into the ER as a zombie and I breathed life back into him...put it on ERAS and the rest was history haha

I applied all allopathic, had one SLOE from an MD program and two from a D.O. program (prolly what hurt me). HP/honored my two auditions, but my second audition was early in the interview season. I also feel that a lot of strong students took up 20-25 interviews due to fear from the previous years match, which definitely can hurt (but I don't blame them). Also, 240 was only 3 points above average/

I looked at the NRMP match outcomes thing and it said there were approximately 1400 spots filled by "US Seniors" out of 1800 spots available. Now, I am assuming a US Senior is either a US DO or MD student, so does that mean that approximately 400 of the EM spots were filled by IMGs? Sounds a little high, no?

I looked at the NRMP match outcomes thing and it said there were approximately 1400 spots filled by "US Seniors" out of 1800 spots available. Now, I am assuming a US Senior is either a US DO or MD student, so does that mean that approximately 400 of the EM spots were filled by IMGs? Sounds a little high, no?
US seniors doesn't include DO. I'd bet a lot (most?) of those 400 are DO students.

1772 out of 1786 positions were filled through the match. 1388 spots went to US seniors, 90 to previously graduated USMD's, and 177 to DO's. This leaves only 117 for foreign grads.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf

Yup, killed a man, he came back into the ER as a zombie and I breathed life back into him...put it on ERAS and the rest was history haha

I applied all allopathic, had one SLOE from an MD program and two from a D.O. program (prolly what hurt me). HP/honored my two auditions, but my second audition was early in the interview season. I also feel that a lot of strong students took up 20-25 interviews due to fear from the previous years match, which definitely can hurt (but I don't blame them). Also, 240 was only 3 points above average/
Lol. Thanks for clarifying. COngrats none the less.

Anyone else having oligoanalgesia issues in the ED? Our RNs don't seem comfortable giving therapeutic doses of opioids, and I'm not sure if that is normal for them or if it's because it's August of intern year.

Anyone else having oligoanalgesia issues in the ED? Our RNs don't seem comfortable giving therapeutic doses of opioids, and I'm not sure if that is normal for them or if it's because it's August of intern year.

I've noticed mostly ineffective dosing of morphine on my rotations. It's pretty common to give "4 of morphine" or even 2, when the recent literature recommends starting with around 7 of morphine for your 70kg pt and then titrating up from there in 6 or 7 minute intervals. I haven't noticed pushback from the RNs but then I haven't seen anyone ordering appropriately higher doses either.

I've noticed mostly ineffective dosing of morphine on my rotations. It's pretty common to give "4 of morphine" or even 2, when the recent literature recommends starting with around 7 of morphine for your 70kg pt and then titrating up from there in 6 or 7 minute intervals. I haven't noticed pushback from the RNs but then I haven't seen anyone ordering appropriately higher doses either.

Weight doesn't really matter for adults. There was a 6/2014 Annals of EM paper on weight based dosing for either Dilaudid or morphine...can't recall which.

I overheard a surgical resident order 1 mg morphine for a pt in acute pain recently.